Image ImageImage Image

WOJ: NBA investigating possible tampering: Update Bulls forfeit 2nd Round Pick pg. 31

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,951

Re: WOJ: NBA investigating possible tampering violations on Ball: Update pg. 14 

Post#461 » by Chi town » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:43 am

FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

Can confirm, they do pull you over for going 40 on 25. Had to take a defensive driving class + pay some fees for that.

Not here in The Bay. You gotta be 20 over to get a cop or CHP to blink.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,951

Post#462 » by Chi town » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:44 am

This MPH metaphor does not jive with getting NAILED. A ticket for 15 over is nothing. Def not a 1st round pick
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,830

Post#463 » by bledredwine » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:46 pm

Chi town wrote:This MPH metaphor does not jive with getting NAILED. A ticket for 15 over is nothing. Def not a 1st round pick

Maybe we were driving drunk?

Or even worse, on meth?
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,008

Post#464 » by MrSparkle » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:45 pm

Chi town wrote:This MPH metaphor does not jive with getting NAILED. A ticket for 15 over is nothing. Def not a 1st round pick

Ha that's true.

Confiscating FRP is like driving drunk into a pedestrian. I mean, it wouldn't matter if we signed Durant or Lebron, but we're talking about Lonzo Ball... :lol: There's hardly a guarantee we're gonna be a great team. We're hoping to be very good, with room for it not working out.

Granted Joe Smith cost MIN a fortune of 1sts, but they pulled some major cap/future-promise shenanigans.

I can see the FRP hammer coming down as Silver's example to the league to cool off on pre-RFA negotiations, but I hope not. We need every chip available.

So if I understand correctly, teams can't make statements or negotiations with their own players before the moratorium? Maybe NOP was also pissed off because they couldn't get a firm asking price out of Lonzo. I do feel like this is the about Pelicans making a stink.
Grodoboldo
Analyst
And1: 2,819

Post#465 » by Grodoboldo » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:32 am

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/08/13/j-j-redick-points-finger-at-pelicans-for-initiating-lonzo-ball-kyle-lowry-tampering-investigations/

I'm officially cheering for Zion to leave (preferably after signing the QO, so they get nothing) and for Griffin to get canned.
Constantly underwhelmed by the Bulls.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#466 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:52 am

Grodoboldo wrote:https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/08/13/j-j-redick-points-finger-at-pelicans-for-initiating-lonzo-ball-kyle-lowry-tampering-investigations/

I'm officially cheering for Zion to leave (preferably after signing the QO, so they get nothing) and for Griffin to get canned.

Pretty sure Griffin is getting fired. Is JJ just throwing that out there because of his situation down there?
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,843

Post#467 » by meekrab » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:55 am

Grodoboldo wrote:https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/08/13/j-j-redick-points-finger-at-pelicans-for-initiating-lonzo-ball-kyle-lowry-tampering-investigations/

LOL no ****, they traded away Lonzo so they would have cap space to talk to Kyle about a max deal and Kyle signed with Miami 2 seconds into free agency :lol:
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 460

Post#468 » by step » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:52 am

It's very light on.
Redick on his podcast:

It’s a little bit for show probably, I guess. I don’t know. I think you would probably have to ask the guy who’s asking for the investigation. Some teams cleared a ton of cap space to get Kyle, and it didn’t happen. And then Lonzo leaving. So you’d have to ask that guy, that guy complaining.

Maybe Redick’s insinuation is fair. Maybe it’s not.

You would have to think that by tattling, they'd also realise they'd be opening themselves up to a world of hurt. Bulls 'jumped' the gun... NOP were complicit in their actions.

I would have to think that before you make a complaint of this nature, you would be talking to in house counsel and understand the ramifications. Then again, people do act stupid at times in the heat of the moment.

New Orleans was willing to go to $90 million over three years or more, according to a source, but Lowry never leaned toward going there, according to the source

Now I wonder how delusional their front office were? This was pretty clear to everyone else that they weren't high up on the list. An extra $5M is not going to sway him that much, and does that make a difference with the different state taxes?
Risk Addict
Analyst
And1: 236

Post#469 » by Risk Addict » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:27 pm

I wonder if NOP was stupid enough to call foul on Lowry and incriminate themselves in the process about Ball. “We didn’t even have a chance to sign Lowry. He was under contract at the open of free agency!!” — “why not resign ball??” — “we had already agreed to trade him!”
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,203

Post#470 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:12 pm

It's been over 2 business weeks, aren't they reaching a decision soon?
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#471 » by sco » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:15 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:It's been over 2 business weeks, aren't they reaching a decision soon?

Feel the same, but I wonder if August is a big league vacation month (like most organizations) and if that is slowing things. Probably will simmer until after Labor Day.
:clap:
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,133

Post#472 » by HomoSapien » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:37 pm

sco wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:It's been over 2 business weeks, aren't they reaching a decision soon?

Feel the same, but I wonder if August is a big league vacation month (like most organizations) and if that is slowing things. Probably will simmer until after Labor Day.

KC said that the Bucks investigation took a month to complete.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#473 » by Pax for Prez » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:17 pm

Now that Lauri has been traded we are all waiting on the Tampering outcome.

I am trying to decide if the Bulls are found Guilty what is a realistic punishment (value) by the NBA.

Last year Milw. lost their Late 2nd rd pick (Holiday trade was already agreed to, league knew Milw. was in the Top Tier of teams).

Late 2nd rd pick this year has a league value of $2 Mil.

New Rules were made:

1. NBA elevated maximum tampering fine to $10M for teams
2. opened door for suspension of executives
3. forfeiture of draft picks
4. voiding of contracts.

It has been reported that the voiding of Ball contract will Not Happen.

So looking at last years Milw. punishment value be around $2 Mil. , would a fine of $4 Mil. and a lost of the 2023 Denver 2nd rd pick (value again around $2 Mil) for a Total Value of $6 Million be proper value punishment ?

Thoughts ???
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,447

Post#474 » by LateNight » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:27 pm

Pax for Prez wrote:Now that Lauri has been traded we are all waiting on the Tampering outcome.

I am trying to decide if the Bulls are found Guilty what is a realistic punishment (value) by the NBA.

Last year Milw. lost their Late 2nd rd pick (Holiday trade was already agreed to, league knew Milw. was in the Top Tier of teams).

New Rules were made:

4. voiding of contracts.

So looking at last years Milw. punishment value be around $2 Mil. , would a fine of $4 Mil. and a lost of the 2023 Denver 2nd rd pick (value again around $2 Mil) for a Total Value of $6 Million be proper value punishment ?

Thoughts ???

Honestly, I'm not sure there's a punishment here that doesn't make the league look like a-holes.

If the news (and players) are to be believed, the Bulls were going to acquire Lonzo one way or another. Punishing them for doing it efficiently in a way that benefited New Orleans is dumb.

Jaywalking is illegal - but you only penalize people for it if they're doing something incredibly detrimental. This is not that.
Sinistar6
Starter
And1: 125

Post#475 » by Sinistar6 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:44 pm

lol they are all going to point fingers at AK. He is better at the job.
Next time the cult's spaceship lands we'll all be wearing black Starburys.

-mcwelk
CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 435

Post#476 » by CaPiTanAK » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:27 pm

Griffin has always been a clown. The real GMs during the Cavs championship run have always been Lebron and Klutch. Griffin will end up driving Zion out of town due to his incompetence.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,622

Post#477 » by dougthonus » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:38 pm

Pax for Prez wrote:Now that Lauri has been traded we are all waiting on the Tampering outcome.

New Rules were made:

4. voiding of contracts.

Thoughts ???

I say they strip us of the 2023 1st that is going to Orlando anyway. That will teach us!

Seriously though, I suppose it depends what they find relative to what other teams are doing. We all know the rules are capricious, so it really just depends on if we're doing something that's an order of magnitude different than other teams.

I like the speeding example.

If everyone's going 10 over and we're doing 15 over, then they probably just pulled us over to see if we're drunk and let us off with a wrist slap (2nd + medium fine). If they get in there and find out we were doing all kinds of stuff we shouldn't that is well beyond the normal hijinks (40 over and drag racing someone) then we'll probably get hit with a 1st and the max fine and possibly a suspension of AK for some period of time.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,879

Post#478 » by biggestbullsfan » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:06 pm

dougthonus wrote:

New Rules were made:

4. voiding of contracts.

Thoughts ???

I say they strip us of the 2023 1st that is going to Orlando anyway. That will teach us!

Seriously though, I suppose it depends what they find relative to what other teams are doing. We all know the rules are capricious, so it really just depends on if we're doing something that's an order of magnitude different than other teams.

I like the speeding example.

If everyone's going 10 over and we're doing 15 over, then they probably just pulled us over to see if we're drunk and let us off with a wrist slap (2nd + medium fine). If they get in there and find out we were doing all kinds of stuff we shouldn't that is well beyond the normal hijinks (40 over and drag racing someone) then we'll probably get hit with a 1st and the max fine and possibly a suspension of AK for some period of time.

Dumb question but what does suspension of an executive even mean? His job is basically done at this point lol unless it’s no pay for a time frame
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,150

Post#479 » by SHO'NUFF » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:09 pm

Guys relax. Nothing will happen to the Bulls. No fines, no evidence of tampering, no nothing. Guaranteed!

Disclaimer: If something does happen you do not have permission to quote me and bring this up later in the discussion.
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,622

Post#480 » by dougthonus » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:47 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:Dumb question but what does suspension of an executive even mean? His job is basically done at this point lol unless it’s no pay for a time frame

Couldn't contact the team or other teams to do whatever prep work they do. Probably a long shot they do that.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls