ImageImageImage

OUR BIGGEST NEED - PF

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

rambo_ortega
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

OUR BIGGEST NEED - PF 

Post#1 » by rambo_ortega » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:50 am

I think this is the gapping hole of our roster at the moment. We need an athletic 4 who can go up against the likes of Giannis, KD, Siakam, AD. Someone that can also allow us to play small and fast, but effective coz this is also the best way to utilize our 2 Stars in their prime. Something that we haven't been able to do the past several years.

So who can we target and are available? Here are just some on my list:

John Collins - really wanted him but already off the market
Lauri Markannen - S&T
Thad Young - Trade
Larry Nance Jr. - Trade
Brandon Clarke - Trade (JJJr in his way)
Jerami Grant - Trade (might not be the best guy to pair with their young guys)
Kyle Kuzma - Trade (Wizards have Rui and Advija)
Harry Giles - FA
Hollis-Jefferson - FA

We can trade Jrich/Timelord/Langford/GrantWill

TRADE SCENARIOS

BOS-MEM

Bos Get: Clarke/Adams
Mem Get: Timelord/Jrich/Dunn

BOS-DET

Bos Get: Jerami Grant
Det Get: Timelord/Jrich/Langford

BOS-WAS

Bos Get: Kuzma
Was Get: Timelord/Jrich

BOS-SAS

Bos Get: Thad Young
Sas Get: Jrich/Fernando

BOS-CLE

Bos Get: Larry Nance Jr.
Cle Get: Romęo Langford/Dunn/Grant

What are your thoughts?
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,940

Re: OUR BIGGEST NEED - PF 

Post#2 » by darrendaye » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:17 am

Yes, backup PF biggest need, but as for all of these trade suggestions..

Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#3 » by GoGreen » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:19 am

I'm aching for a backup 4, but truth is unless Marcus gets traded for someone, we're realistically looking at the bottom of the bin here. Millsap, Giles, RHJ is about the best we have.

Considering all the young guys on this team, id be open to taking in Millsap as a vet/mentor type alongside Al.
aporel18
Senior
And1: 282

Post#4 » by aporel18 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:48 am

Sign Tatum's buddy Giles as a reclamation project, small risk. If he shows something, send Grant packing alongside Carsen Edwards.

(/offseason)
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#5 » by ParticleMan » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:56 am

Tatum is our PF. Horford can slot in for some minutes to go big. Grant and Parker are there too. Not sure where this gaping hole is, but even if there is, I'm definitely not trading Timelord in order to fill it.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#6 » by Bohemian » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:20 am

Our biggest need right now is indeed the back up PF, or just a physical forward. However, in all those trade scenarios you include Josh Richardson and he is going to be one of the important pieces for Udoka this year. Plus, I don´t think Brad is looking to do something big to get a guy that basically needs to give you more than what Grant Williams does. As you can see, replacing 15 minutes of 4 pts and 3 reb (and a zillion fouls) can be addressed in a smaller trade or by getting a vet for the minimum.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,112

Post#7 » by Darthlukey » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:59 am

rambo_ortega wrote:I think this is the gapping hole of our roster at the moment. We need an athletic 4 who can go up against the likes of Giannis, KD, Siakam, AD. Someone that can also allow us to play small and fast, but effective coz this is also the best way to utilize our 2 Stars in their prime. Something that we haven't been able to do the past several years.

So who can we target and are available? Here are just some on my list:

John Collins - really wanted him but already off the market
Lauri Markannen - S&T
Thad Young - Trade
Brandon Clarke - Trade (JJJr in his way)
Jerami Grant - Trade (might not be the best guy to pair with their young guys)
Kyle Kuzma - Trade (Wizards have Rui and Advija)
Harry Giles - FA
Hollis-Jefferson - FA

We can trade Jrich/Timelord/Langford/GrantWill

TRADE SCENARIOS

BOS-MEM

Bos Get: Clarke/Adams
Mem Get: Timelord/Jrich/Dunn

BOS-DET

Bos Get: Jerami Grant
Det Get: Timelord/Jrich/Langford

BOS-WAS

Bos Get: Kuzma
Was Get: Timelord/Jrich

BOS-SAS

Bos Get: Thad Young
Sas Get: Jrich/Fernando

What are your thoughts?

If cap space next season is the goal, Adams from mem is out
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#8 » by Temuhjan » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:12 am

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson is my choice. He is young, energetic, Swiss army knife-type of guy. Basically, a mini Al. I am surprised he is available.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,257

Post#9 » by hugepatsfan » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:55 am

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson is a SF that has to play as an undersized PF because his shooting is so putrid that you can't run an effective lineup with him in a more perimeter spot. I don't mind him on the team at all. I think he brings a skill set we lack. But he's definitely not the answer to what the OP is asking for.

Truthfully, the stretch 4 that can defend is one of the rarer pieces in the game. It's probably unrealistic to think we're going to acquire one. I like Milsap as a 1 year vet bench piece but that's hardly an exciting addition at this stage of his career.
dans1230
Rookie
And1: 1,141

Post#10 » by dans1230 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:48 am

Bohemian wrote:Our biggest need right now is indeed the back up PF, or just a physical forward. However, in all those trade scenarios you include Josh Richardson and he is going to be one of the important pieces for Udoka this year. Plus, I don´t think Brad is looking to do something big to get a guy that basically needs to give you more than what Grant Williams does. As you can see, replacing 15 minutes of 4 pts and 3 reb (and a zillion fouls) can be addressed in a smaller trade or by getting a vet for the minimum.

I dont care for any of the trades listed, i agree with above, Richardson is going to be an important piece for this team. I think Tatum starts at pf, Al will play some pf and you still have Grant. If they are looking, pick up the best defender available at the position, someone who can at least get in the way of Giannis, KD, and Harris.
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#11 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:58 am

Although I don't like Tatum as our 2nd biggest player on the floor it may be unavoidable. I like Tatum with Timelord as the latter doesnt shoot 3s. If Horfords in, I'd like an big, athletic presence in the paint. Maybe Horford plays with Kanter, Pritch, Richardson and Nesmith. That'd be my 2nd unit.
That's the Way of the World
TH15
Freshman
And1: 95

Post#12 » by TH15 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:59 pm

I’m interested to see how Bruno matches us with Giannis. Does he have the foot speed and agility to guard him in spurts, or is Bruno a pure 5?
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#13 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:09 pm

TH15 wrote:I’m interested to see how Bruno matches us with Giannis. Does he have the foot speed and agility to guard him in spurts, or is Bruno a pure 5?

If Bruno can drive and shoot from 16 ft he's a 4. If he's at the 5 he'd be strong but a bit small. Doesn't have the footspeed for Giannis but few do. I like Bruno and he's a big upgrade imo over Semis role. Stevens seems to appreciate size and toughness so far in the FO so the more the better. I'd like to swap out Edwards for another big that can defendxand shoot.
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,780

Post#14 » by flintsky21 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:12 pm

Even Jaylen played some 4 last year and you can certainly get away with it in today's NBA. A lineup of something like Horford/Jaylen/JRich/Nesmith/Pritchard is okay. I think Hauser could be an option too.
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#15 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:16 pm

ParticleMan wrote:Tatum is our PF. Horford can slot in for some minutes to go big. Grant and Parker are there too. Not sure where this gaping hole is, but even if there is, I'm definitely not trading Timelord in order to fill it.

Totally agree. But with Tatum at the 4 we'd need a really good 5 behind him. That's TL if healthy. We'd still be small but now we have Horford Kanter and Bruno too rather than TT and Theis. Grant and Parker can pull their man to the perimeter so we'd need a solid 5 to protect the paint and rim or it'll be like last year's weakness after Theis was traded.
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#16 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:20 pm

flintsky21 wrote:Even Jaylen played some 4 last year and you can certainly get away with it in today's NBA. A lineup of something like Horford/Jaylen/JRich/Nesmith/Pritchard is okay. I think Hauser could be an option too.

Hausers a good shooting 3/4 tweener who can rebound.
Hope he makes the team too. He and Bruno off the bench and added depth would be excellent young additions.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#17 » by Temuhjan » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:40 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:Rondae Hollis-Jefferson is a SF that has to play as an undersized PF because his shooting is so putrid that you can't run an effective lineup with him in a more perimeter spot. I don't mind him on the team at all. I think he brings a skill set we lack. But he's definitely not the answer to what the OP is asking for.

Truthfully, the stretch 4 that can defend is one of the rarer pieces in the game. It's probably unrealistic to think we're going to acquire one. I like Milsap as a 1 year vet bench piece but that's hardly an exciting addition at this stage of his career.

RHJ is a career .408 shooter from mid-range and .371 for long 2s. He has been a stretch 4 over the past two seasons. He is more than good enough to be JT's backup, let alone the vet's min price tag
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Post#18 » by BleedGreen1989 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:53 pm

ParticleMan wrote:Tatum is our PF. Horford can slot in for some minutes to go big. Grant and Parker are there too. Not sure where this gaping hole is, but even if there is, I'm definitely not trading Timelord in order to fill it.

PF is a dying position. You play one big and four perimeter players.

Just play Tatum at the 4.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,571

Post#19 » by Celts17Pride » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:00 pm

Celtics biggest need is outside shooting at the 2,3 and 4 positions off the bench

Schroder, Smart, Dunn, Parker, Langford, G Williams and Richardson are not winning any shooting contests against anyone
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,257

Post#20 » by hugepatsfan » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:09 pm

Temuhjan wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:Rondae Hollis-Jefferson is a SF that has to play as an undersized PF because his shooting is so putrid that you can't run an effective lineup with him in a more perimeter spot. I don't mind him on the team at all. I think he brings a skill set we lack. But he's definitely not the answer to what the OP is asking for.

RHJ is a career .408 shooter from mid-range and .371 for long 2s. He has been a stretch 4 over the past two seasons. He is more than good enough to be JT's backup, let alone the vet's min price tag

It's 2021, not 2001. I don't care what his long 2 or mid range percentages are. Any offensive possession that ends up in a player like RHJ taking a mid range or long 2 shot is poor offense. Tatum/Brown types are the only ones who should be taking those shots with any regularity. If we're talking about a role player and long 2s/mid range are the argument for his offense being good enough, then that player simply isn't consistently playable offensively.

Don't get me wrong, I think RHJ would be a nice addition to the roster. But we're talking a 3rd unit guy, not someone in the regular rotation.

Return to Boston Celtics