ImageImageImage

Welcome Tyrese Maxey!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#741 » by kuclas » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:57 am

The real issue is whether maxey will end up like a Eric Bledsoe type of guard. Good but not great. Is that enough? Bledsoe never a great shooter. But he was pretty solid. Can we live with that?
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#742 » by Tomjas » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:05 pm

kuclas wrote:The real issue is whether maxey will end up like a Eric Bledsoe type of guard. Good but not great. Is that enough? Bledsoe never a great shooter. But he was pretty solid. Can we live with that?

More likely to be a late career Rose

Incredibly useful but that’s his ceiling
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,999

Post#743 » by eyeatoma » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:41 pm

kuclas wrote:The real issue is whether maxey will end up like a Eric Bledsoe type of guard. Good but not great. Is that enough? Bledsoe never a great shooter. But he was pretty solid. Can we live with that?

Maxey already has more pop than Bledsoe dude. He does not remind me of Bledsoe at all. Maxey is a ball of energy, but he's not a wrecking ball either. He is a contortionist at the rim, has a great floater, has a quick first step, is very fast in the open court, and has an improving 3 point shot that seems on a better trajectory than Bledsoe. Also, can't forget he seems to have the mentality and desire to want to get better every day. The difference in the play he displayed last year and now is night and day. He has had one of the quickest rates of improvements on this team since Jo, and that's saying something. At 20 years old, I don't think you can already start assuming that his ceiling is Eric frickin Bledsoe lol.
kuclas
General Manager

Post#744 » by kuclas » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:21 pm

eyeatoma wrote:

Maxey already has more pop than Bledsoe dude. He does not remind me of Bledsoe at all. Maxey is a ball of energy, but he's not a wrecking ball either. He is a contortionist at the rim, has a great floater, has a quick first step, is very fast in the open court, and has an improving 3 point shot that seems on a better trajectory than Bledsoe. Also, can't forget he seems to have the mentality and desire to want to get better every day. The difference in the play he displayed last year and now is night and day. He has had one of the quickest rates of improvements on this team since Jo, and that's saying something. At 20 years old, I don't think you can already start assuming that his ceiling is Eric frickin Bledsoe lol.

We basically traded fultz for what turned out to be the 20th pick in 2020 nba draft (maxey).

We just need someone to be able to put pressure on a defense to free up space in half court. We all know the issue with a Simmons lead half court offense in the playoffs. I know it sounds crazy and I’ve posted on this several times.

Simmons is still extremely useful for the first 3 quarters of the playoffs game. He just can’t play down the stretch in the fourth quarter. How do we make that happen. It’s a blow to his ego. But the coaches just refuse to play other guards down the stretch outside of jimmy butler handling the ball in the fourth during 2019 playoffs.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,808

Post#745 » by Stanford » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:25 pm

Crazy how comfortable he is getting to the step-back now, and how willing he is to go to it.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#746 » by VDT » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:39 pm

I would still not expect much from him but i am certainly open to be suprised by him.

Maxey is still at the point where he just has some good performances here or there. He first needs to become consistent and he needs to still to keep being good after he gets scouted. And then he needs to do these things in the postseason. He is still very far away from being a player we can depend on in the playoffs and i would be very surprised if he could be that in the next couple of years. We are just desperate for half court creation so we see every young player (korkmaz, Shake, Maxey etc) that had a good game or two as our half court savior.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#747 » by Sixersftw » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:43 pm

Maxey is really out here trying to endear himself to the organization.

Step 1 - how to not be Ben: Shoot 3s, be aggressive.
Step 2 - Things that Morey likes: stepback jumpers, investigate beard growth.

I bet my man is learning how to play FIFA right now.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
sodmoraes
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#748 » by sodmoraes » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:06 pm

I´m confident that his 3 pt will be good. Maybe isnt that consistent this year, but next one he should be a good 3 pt shooter. I´m a bit worried if he will ever be a decent passer. If not, his ceiling is greatly reduced, since he will be more of a 6th man kinda of player( like a lou willians), insted of our starting pg.
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#749 » by Sportfan73 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:07 pm

kuclas wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

We basically traded fultz for what turned out to be the 20th pick in 2020 nba draft (maxey).

We just need someone to be able to put pressure on a defense to free up space in half court. We all know the issue with a Simmons lead half court offense in the playoffs. I know it sounds crazy and I’ve posted on this several times.

Simmons is still extremely useful for the first 3 quarters of the playoffs game. He just can’t play down the stretch in the fourth quarter. How do we make that happen. It’s a blow to his ego. But the coaches just refuse to play other guards down the stretch outside of jimmy butler handling the ball in the fourth during 2019 playoffs.

He can play, in the pick and roll with Maxey every play down the floor in the 4th. Jo isn’t as much of a pick and roll guy, so you use Ben. When you do use Jo for the pick and pop Ben can then be at the dunker spot for the lob or in a (wishful thinking) perfect world one of the corners. Just use the offense the hawks just torched us with.
BNelley24
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#750 » by BNelley24 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:22 pm

The only thing I hope Maxey continues to improve is his shot release. It is still a bit too low and in front of his head. Just my random fan opinion, but he should get his release a bit higher. He pushes the ball too much. If he develops a consistent 3 pointer he’ll be an all-star. Depending on playing time I think he’ll be a 12-14ppg guy this year, and then take the jump to 18-20+ year 3
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,119

Post#751 » by Arsenal » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:36 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:While I’m high on Maxey too, I don’t think we can assume he’s going to be a 1B (or even #2) option on a championship team this season or next.

We should know by now not to over-react to summer league games.

So what? Does the world end in the next 2 years?
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#752 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:03 pm

Arsenal wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:While I’m high on Maxey too, I don’t think we can assume he’s going to be a 1B (or even #2) option on a championship team this season or next.

We should know by now not to over-react to summer league games.

So what? Does the world end in the next 2 years?

With Embiid, it could. We’ve had a grand total of 0 fully healthy playoff appearances with him.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#753 » by 76ciology » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:21 pm

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Post#754 » by HotelVitale » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:36 pm

VDT wrote:I would still not expect much from him but i am certainly open to be suprised by him.

Maxey is still at the point where he just has some good performances here or there. He first needs to become consistent and he needs to still to keep being good after he gets scouted. And then he needs to do these things in the postseason. He is still very far away from being a player we can depend on in the playoffs and i would be very surprised if he could be that in the next couple of years. We are just desperate for half court creation so we see every young player (korkmaz, Shake, Maxey etc) that had a good game or two as our half court savior.

Yeah and getting there is all about his high difficulty skill game development. He’s got the jets and motor to get to some spots on the court but he’s just not big or athletic enough to create great separation. So he’s going to need to get very good at high difficulty things that will allow him to score in those gaps— Runners, stpeback 3s, finishes through lots of contact, etc. Last year he would sometimes get hot with those but mostly fail because of the degree of difficulty.

Here’s hoping that he’s made one of those rare big leaps, or at least mastered a couple of those things and has a few reliable ways of scoring to fall back on. Seems like he works as hard as anyone so there’s a chance for that.
Madd Squabbles
Junior
And1: 192

Post#755 » by Madd Squabbles » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:51 pm

I'm good with having a good player drafted with pick 21. I'll take a good player with every FRP actually.
Madd Squabbles
Junior

Post#756 » by Madd Squabbles » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:53 pm

eyeatoma wrote:

Maxey reminds me of Sexton which is good because I really like Sexton. I was willing to trade Simmons for him but we may already have him in Maxey.
Madd Squabbles
Junior

Post#757 » by Madd Squabbles » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:59 pm

sodmoraes wrote:I´m confident that his 3 pt will be good. Maybe isnt that consistent this year, but next one he should be a good 3 pt shooter. I´m a bit worried if he will ever be a decent passer. If not, his ceiling is greatly reduced, since he will be more of a 6th man kinda of player( like a lou willians), insted of our starting pg.

The passing is my biggest concern as well. It's the one thing that you either have it or not. I've never known of a player who was a poor passer and worked himself into a great passer. I agree that ideally, you want Maxey to be a Claxton-type scorer off the bench unless you can pair him with a tall point guard while making him a shooting guard. This is why I wanted Haliburton back in a trade for Ben. I think a Haliburton Maxey backcourt would have good growth potential.
Madd Squabbles
Junior

Post#758 » by Madd Squabbles » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:02 pm

Sportfan73 wrote:
kuclas wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Not a fan of sticking our MVP caliber Center behind the 3 point line. Ideally, Embiid Maxey needs to work on the pick and roll. Ben needs to sit on that corner 3.

He can play, in the pick and roll with Maxey every play down the floor in the 4th. Jo isn’t as much of a pick and roll guy, so you use Ben. When you do use Jo for the pick and pop Ben can then be at the dunker spot for the lob or in a (wishful thinking) perfect world one of the corners. Just use the offense the hawks just torched us with.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Post#759 » by HotelVitale » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:11 pm

Madd Squabbles wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Maxey reminds me of Sexton which is good because I really like Sexton. I was willing to trade Simmons for him but we may already have him in Maxey.

Fellas, Sexton just averaged 24+ ppg on solid efficiency, Maxey averaged 8 on meh efficiency. I get that if you squint there are some similarities but let the guy be a decent rotation player first before deciding who or what he is.
kuclas
General Manager

Post#760 » by kuclas » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:25 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Madd Squabbles wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Fellas, Sexton just averaged 24+ ppg on solid efficiency, Maxey averaged 8 on meh efficiency. I get that if you squint there are some similarities but let the guy be a decent rotation player first before deciding who or what he is.

Sexton is a better player right now. He’s a better shooter as well.

But how much more is sexton really when adjusted for age/experience and minutes played as well as being the number 1 option than maxey.

I agree. We need to get maxey more minutes. See what he can do. But the kid was a 5 star recruit for a reason. Maxey is already a good free throw shooter which usually translate to good 3 point shooting. Plus maxey on rookie contract.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers