daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,035

Re: Would you trade Maxi for Markkanen? 

Post#21 » by daoneandonly » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:27 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Please tell me, what exactly has Kleber done in last 2 playoffs? And playoffs is the only thing what matters in a team with Luka. He's not good enough in D to do anything about other teams stars and he's absolutely awful in offense as starter.

Please tell me what exactly is the appeal of Lauri and if was so great, why is he still on the market? I know you're obsessed with most Euro players and not really a Mavs fan sans Luka, but Lauri sucks. years ago Dallas had someone just liek Lauri, his name was Charlie Villanueva. He was nothing more than a vet min who stretched the floor and at time's score din bunches, thats all Lauri is.

Im not a huge Kleber fan, but he puts effort on D unlike Lauri. No one can guard Kawhi yet so many blame Maxi for him going off when he was also injured. Thats the Mavs FO for not getting bigger wings who cna defend, and here we are, new FO, still have that problem.

Sorry for you but we are in the 2021 and 2 European guys won the last 3 MVPs...and this year the ring plus the Finals MVP.

Oh yes we have a not bad European boy in our team.

I'm aware, what's your point? Lauri cant tie Jokic's or Giannis's shoes or carry their used towels, he's not anywhere near their league. They're great, he sucks.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,820

Post#22 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:02 pm

Yes he can ties that level but for sure he can sorpasses that of Kleber. And this is the point.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,240

Post#23 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:08 pm

Bob8 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Please tell me, what exactly has Kleber done in last 2 playoffs? And playoffs is the only thing what matters in a team with Luka. He's not good enough in D to do anything about other teams stars and he's absolutely awful in offense as starter.

Please tell me what exactly is the appeal of Lauri and if was so great, why is he still on the market? I know you're obsessed with most Euro players and not really a Mavs fan sans Luka, but Lauri sucks. years ago Dallas had someone just liek Lauri, his name was Charlie Villanueva. He was nothing more than a vet min who stretched the floor and at time's score din bunches, thats all Lauri is.

Im not a huge Kleber fan, but he puts effort on D unlike Lauri. No one can guard Kawhi yet so many blame Maxi for him going off when he was also injured. Thats the Mavs FO for not getting bigger wings who cna defend, and here we are, new FO, still have that problem.

Believe me I would much rather have true American player like AD, but unfortunate nobody is giving player like him for 7/5 guy. ;)

Tell me which good big can Kleber effectively defend, if we agree that he cannot defend wings?

Markkanen wasn't just by case 7th pick. He's 7'0 Pf, who can shoot. He's only 24 years old and looks like a player, who will benefit a lot playing with Luka. Not ideal by any means, but his price looks pretty cheap also. Mavs will sooner or later have to take some risks. Markkanen looks like very solid gamble.

Maxi has in my opinion played great defence against Kawhi, but Kawhi has been lights out anyway. But if you look at the defence you will see Maxi right in his face. He has also done a great job against Zion, but like everybody, he has struggled against him.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,499

Post#24 » by Maverick41 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:25 pm

The way I look at is talent vs fit. Maxi is definitely the better fit right now with KP occupying the middle. He's a good defender, can hit the 3 and is a fan favorite.

Markkanen is the better talent and is getting disrespected by some. He's a career 15 & 7 player with a career best of 19 & 9. For reference, Maxi's best year was 9 & 5. I know numbers don't tell the whole story but there's no way you can look at those numbers and think Markkanen sucks.

If it was straight up Maxi + bench filler, I would do it. We will not be contending this year as constructed and this provides us KP insurance as we know KP will miss a lot of games. Again I like Maxi and I think he's a better fit. If we were contenders, I would rather have him as I think he's more of a winning player right now. But because we are not and Maxi's athleticism will likely start fading when we are, I would rather we gamble on some talent particularly if its for value far below what most would have perceived him as just a year ago.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#25 » by Teffer10 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:33 pm

My vote is yes.

The age difference and upside of Markkanen makes it worth it because these are the types of moves we will need to make.
Putting average role players with no upside around Luka is not going to take us to the next level.
I like Maxi as a player but if we had to sacrifice him for a guy 6 years younger who is much more skilled offensively I'd have to say do it because I personally don't think the whole Luka/KP - Batman/Robin thing will ever come to fruition and Markkanen will bring basically the same skills as KP is currently bringing. That will allow us to move on from KP.

Not that Markkanen will ever become Robin, but he could become a vital cheap weapon and hopefully the Robin will come in another way. Markkanen could become a legit starter for us but I see Maxi as merely a nice backup who has probably seen his best days.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#26 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:43 pm

Well it is an upgrade on the age thing for sure and he may become a better defender one day
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#27 » by Pinkyring » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:35 pm

I just don't understand the love affair with maxi, he's a 15 minute backup big that hasn't been the same defensively in 2. Yrs. His 3 point shooting percentage is irrelevant as he only makes 1 a game. Lauri is a starter, is he a great defender no, but he's 18 and 8 on this team with excellent efficiency. Milsap is much better than maxi so ship him Chicago sign milsap and we're a lot better
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:27 pm

Pinkyring wrote:I just don't understand the love affair with maxi, he's a 15 minute backup big that hasn't been the same defensively in 2. Yrs. His 3 point shooting percentage is irrelevant as he only makes 1 a game. Lauri is a starter, is he a great defender no, but he's 18 and 8 on this team with excellent efficiency. Milsap is much better than maxi so ship him Chicago sign milsap and we're a lot better

Easy quote.

I like Maxi but Lauri is a completely different tier...only a blind man can not understand this.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,399

Post#29 » by Mavrelous » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:39 pm

Lauri has a huge defensive "?" around him, the team can't afford any less defense.
If Lauri was that good Bulls wouldn't trade him, they traded for player to make the PO and can't afford to just let talent go.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#30 » by Pinkyring » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:58 pm

KhalilS wrote:Lauri has a huge defensive "?" around him, the team can't afford any less defense.
If Lauri was that good Bulls wouldn't trade him, they traded for player to make the PO and can't afford to just let talent go.

They aren't just letting him go that's why he hasn't been moved yet, they want value
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#31 » by HMFFL » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:03 am

daoneandonly wrote:No way Lauri has a piss poor attitude and cant defend anyone, I wouldnt touch him, let alone give up maxi for him
He doesn't like the system he's playing in and the relationship doesn't seem fixable. I don't believe that translate to him having a piss poor attitude.
He needs a change but it would also be nice to see him stay healthy.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#32 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:29 pm

But I do like that Lauri can put the ball on the floor, is more athletic than Kleber, shoots the 3 better, is better from the FTL and prolly mid-range too.

But Kleber's defensive versatility would suck to lose. Rebounding seems about the same, but I guess Lauri has more potential there, while Kleber tends to be out of position due to the fact that he's contesting shots.

I'd rather have Kleber on defense for sure.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,546

Post#33 » by PaKii94 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:10 am

Man I'd love to see Lauri next to Luka. With incompetent Coby playing PG, Lauri was averaging 23/7 p36 on 66.5%TS as a starting PF last year. Then he was moved out of position to C for a few games and then benched when Vuc was brought in. I think bulls did Lauri dirty.
jump
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,409

Post#34 » by jump » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:55 pm

jump
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,409

Post#35 » by jump » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:06 pm

This was Markkanen's rookie season and before KP's knee issues. Epic battle, and the reason there are still many many Bulls fans who love Lauri. His attitude has always been professional and his defense is fine.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#36 » by Darren » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:48 pm

KP for Markkanen makes far more sense than giving up Maxi. To trade Maxi, the Mavs could have better offer with better fit.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,274

Post#37 » by MrGoat » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:55 pm

This is tough but I think the answer is yes. Maxi's defense seemed to have slipped a bit and I'm not sure he can handle a heavy minute workload. I also think Lauri's defensive struggles are exaggerated when I look at his advanced stats.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#38 » by fuller4379 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:10 pm

That trade wouldn't move the needle.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:56 pm

In our situation it's pretty impossible move the needle, i don't see a move that can do that.

Adding a young and talented prospect is a good starting point...and trade him for a role player? That's a dream.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#40 » by Darren » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:57 pm

I think a 3-way works well for all parties.

DDR to CHI
KP and pick from CHI to SA
Markkanen & Young to DAL

SA might interest in Brunson and Powell in the same deal. This gives SAS cornerstones for years to come. Powell's professionalism could be a big plus. KP could have a fresh start under LMA's shoes. Meanwhile, Young gives the Mavs a big wing defender and a young core piece who fits the run-n-gun style of plays a lot. And the Mavs avoid to have a headache overpaying Brunson for a bench role. Powell's departure also gives Moses chances to play. If required, Green could be part of the deal with something coming back to Dallas.

C - Maxi / Moses / Boban
PF - Markkanen / Young
SF - Finney-Smith / Bullock
SG - Hardaway / Brown / Ntilikina?
PG - Doncic / Burke / Terry

Return to Dallas Mavericks