2021 Free Agency & Off-season

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: 2021 Free Agency & Off-season 

Post#321 » by pacers33granger » Sat Aug 7, 2021 10:40 pm

We all knew we weren't going above the tax line no matter what. So that payout doesn't seal it as it was a done deal. Ownership has been cheap in the past, but they really have spent recently.* If it helps encourage to spend more when it's necessary, I'm all for it. It's just smart business too.

*In the past year or so, they've offered Vic a very generous extension, paid top dollar for Rick, bit the bullet and ate Nate's deal, paid McConnell market value over 4 years, signed Craig (in all honesty a bit of a luxury) for just enough to still duck the tax, and some other smaller moves like adding $1 mil into the recent deal with Washington and keeping Martin when they could've easily cut him and pocketed the small amount of cash.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#322 » by Wizop » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:05 am

pacers33granger wrote:keeping Martin when they could've easily cut him and pocketed the small amount of cash.

Has there been an announcement? 5:00 has come and gone but I've looked and can't find anyone saying what was done, or not done.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#323 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:16 am

Wizop wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:keeping Martin when they could've easily cut him and pocketed the small amount of cash.

Has there been an announcement? 5:00 has come and gone but I've looked and can't find anyone saying what was done, or not done.

Sent from my phone.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Wizop
RealGM

Post#324 » by Wizop » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:30 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Thanks. Don't know how I missed that. I even asked Tony a little after 5.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#325 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Aug 8, 2021 3:16 am

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Thanks. Don't know how I missed that. I even asked Tony a little after 5.

Sent from my phone.

Oh, he didn’t post it until around 10pm.

Couple weeks, so probably end of the month.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#326 » by Wizop » Sun Aug 8, 2021 1:01 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Could be a get Lamb moved deadline.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#327 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Aug 8, 2021 1:17 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Could be a get Lamb moved deadline.

Sent from my phone.

Yeah. My assumption, and this is only my guess, is that we want to keep Kelan for the season, and we would prefer to move Lamb, but weren’t able to get a deal done by yesterday. We probably told Kelan that we were going to have to waive him unless we could move his guarantee date back, as we just couldn’t lock in his salary without making another move. Here, Kelan has a chance to stick around somewhere he knows and that likes him, and if we can’t work out a bigger deal elsewhere and have to waive him, he still has a chance to catch on elsewhere for camp. And in the meantime, his agents can work the phones trying to find him a backup spot, just in case.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#328 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Aug 8, 2021 5:16 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Really cool to see Carlisle working hands on with Turner in the offseason. Granted, both are in Dallas coincidentally a bit (Turner for his offseason home, while Carlisle had a previously scheduled commitment to summer camps at U of Dallas that he upheld after leaving the Mavs), but really cool to see. I’m sure it’s uplifting a bit for Turner to get the 1 on 1 time with the new head coach like this.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#329 » by Tom White » Sun Aug 8, 2021 6:43 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Really cool to see Carlisle working hands on with Turner in the offseason. Granted, both are in Dallas coincidentally a bit (Turner for his offseason home, while Carlisle had a previously scheduled commitment to summer camps at U of Dallas that he upheld after leaving the Mavs), but really cool to see. I’m sure it’s uplifting a bit for Turner to get the 1 on 1 time with the new head coach like this.

With the Dallas connections they each have, I wonder if Carlisle already knew the Turner family?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#330 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 9, 2021 4:26 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Tony shows about $764k under the tax line, currently. Might as well factor in TJ Warren’s $250k bonus, which he’ll likely hit, as long as he plays 2/3 of the season and shoots decently well, so we’re about $500k from the luxury tax line. Still an issue.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#331 » by Wizop » Mon Aug 9, 2021 4:26 pm

Read on Twitter

I found right clicking on the chart and choosing open image in new tab enlarged it enough to read. the purple boxes are cap holds which can be reduced by new contracts or waiving the player.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#332 » by pacers33granger » Mon Aug 9, 2021 9:29 pm

I imagine we have been trying to move Lamb for nothing with no takers. We shouldn't have much issue finding a match at some point to lower the money and ensure we stay below the tax. But that would require us taking on a player we probably don't want.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#333 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 9, 2021 10:34 pm

pacers33granger wrote:I imagine we have been trying to move Lamb for nothing with no takers. We shouldn't have much issue finding a match at some point to lower the money and ensure we stay below the tax. But that would require us taking on a player we probably don't want.

Realistically, we’re probably still a tad early in the sense of teams might not yet be willing to use up their remaining cap space/TPE’s. Maybe in another week or so when the last guys are accounted for, and it just comes down to shuffling around contracts and the like to get ready for camp?
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#334 » by pacers33granger » Mon Aug 9, 2021 10:44 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:I imagine we have been trying to move Lamb for nothing with no takers. We shouldn't have much issue finding a match at some point to lower the money and ensure we stay below the tax. But that would require us taking on a player we probably don't want.

Realistically, we’re probably still a tad early in the sense of teams might not yet be willing to use up their remaining cap space/TPE’s. Maybe in another week or so when the last guys are accounted for, and it just comes down to shuffling around contracts and the like to get ready for camp?

Yeah it's a bit premature for someone to take him into a TPE or cap space for a minor asset or nothing. And we can still use him. So I wouldn't rule it out, but I feel we may be headed for taking some smaller meh money back.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#335 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 9, 2021 11:13 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Yeah it's a bit premature for someone to take him into a TPE or cap space for a minor asset or nothing. And we can still use him. So I wouldn't rule it out, but I feel we may be headed for taking some smaller meh money back.

Oh, I agree. I keep circling to DJ Augustin from Houston. Saves us enough this year to comfortably avoid the tax, gets us a 3rd string PG, and would fit into the Dougie TPE, so then we could create a new $10.5m TPE entirely for Lamb’s contract.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 712

Post#336 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:19 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Oh, I agree. I keep circling to DJ Augustin from Houston. Saves us enough this year to comfortably avoid the tax, gets us a 3rd string PG, and would fit into the Dougie TPE, so then we could create a new $10.5m TPE entirely for Lamb’s contract.

Quit circling and get it done :P
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#337 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:26 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Wizop
RealGM

Post#338 » by Wizop » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:30 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:
Quit circling and get it done :P

I do not expect anyone to trade us a better player for Lamb. Best hope is someone wants a shooter for someone out of their rotation but that could take time.

Sent from my phone.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#339 » by Topofthekey » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:41 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

25 years old, married to a beautiful woman, picked up his father's craft, got himself a contract that pays him millions

He's doing this life thing right
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 712

Post#340 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:48 am

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32056930/brooklyn-nets-open-nba-highest-season-win-total

Vegas picked Pacers for 7th highest in wins in the East at 1 win more than both Knicks and Bulls.

Return to Indiana Pacers