ImageImageImage

Welcome to Virtual Boston, Juhann Begarin!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Re: Welcome to Virtual Boston, Juhann Begarin! 

Post#121 » by playa-hater » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:14 pm

I will not give up my stance of Begarin developing better here than over seas. Just remember that Jalen Green picked the G-League and continued his development nicely vs going overseas.

The USA still has the best trainers and the G league is filled with grown men as well. Keeping JB on a 2 way with Hauser won't hurt the Celtic roster and Boston can keep a close eye on him as well. Not to mention the many times JB can look and practice with our other JB and Tatum and see what it's like to be an NBA player.

OH and Begarin > Edwards all day every day...
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#122 » by themoneyteam2 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:27 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:I come away from these SL games so impressed by his natural ability and physical prowess. He's clearly a half-step slow due to the giant leap from his league to this. But at 19 y/o he really holds his own. I think he's toasted right now with dead legs and it affected his shot. I don't care where he goes to play this next season as long as conditioning and his shot are the emphasis. I think he could possibly be ready to contribute very quickly so if he goes to the G-League he could make an appearance later in the season should we make a consolidating trade opening up a roster spot and available minutes. Right now, he's not ready and thankfully he isn't needed. I hope he goes on the sauce like Tatum and comes back looking like Jaylen. If he has any work ethic whatsoever he's going to be a keeper.

The next SGA but won’t develop if he stays in Boston, right?
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#123 » by Half-Full » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:27 pm

playa-hater wrote:I will not give up my stance of Begarin developing better here than over seas. Just remember that Jalen Green picked the G-League and continued his development nicely vs going overseas.

The USA still has the best trainers and the G league is filled with grown men as well. Keeping JB on a 2 way with Hauser won't hurt the Celtic roster and Boston can keep a close eye on him as well. Not to mention the many times JB can look and practice with our other JB and Tatum and see what it's like to be an NBA player.

I have to agree. Juhaan is nearly there. Time in the G-League will further his development while keeping him close by. Don't see how another year in the French league would be better. I know it's easy for us fans to predict a bright future based on a few games, but I think that's exactly what lies ahead for this kid. There are some roster decisions to be made, and it will be interesting to see what they decide for Juhaan.
aporel18
Senior
And1: 282

Post#124 » by aporel18 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:13 pm

Half-Full wrote:
playa-hater wrote:I will not give up my stance of Begarin developing better here than over seas. Just remember that Jalen Green picked the G-League and continued his development nicely vs going overseas.

I have to agree. Juhaan is nearly there. Time in the G-League will further his development while keeping him close by. Don't see how another year in the French league would be better. I know it's easy for us fans to predict a bright future based on a few games, but I think that's exactly what lies ahead for this kid. There are some roster decisions to be made, and it will be interesting to see what they decide for Juhaan.

Well, G-League is filled with talented players, but from the game's perspective, is unwatchable. It's a bunch of guards showcasing their abilities to get a deal in the NBA, so it's not the best place to develop team ball. Of course, training staff and facilities are great, and the team has the chance to follow their progress from near. But there's a reason why NBA "stars" like Giannis can't play under FIBA rules, and spending a couple of years in Europe (if they are challenged there, unlike Yabu in China) is a better way than the G-League/NCAA to grow as complete players.

Furthermore, Juhann has the chance to be a starter for the Paris new shiny team, so that will help him mature as a future NBA player. Of course, he doesn't have to spent two years in the French League, he could be too good for the competition in a year if he keeps working hard.

Just like Yam, the better the competition and their coaching staff, the bigger strides in their development.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#125 » by playa-hater » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:23 pm

aporel18 wrote:
Half-Full wrote:

Well, G-League is filled with talented players, but from the game's perspective, is unwatchable. It's a bunch of guards showcasing their abilities to get a deal in the NBA, so it's not the best place to develop team ball. Of course, training staff and facilities are great, and the team has the chance to follow their progress from near. But there's a reason why NBA "stars" like Giannis can't play under FIBA rules, and spending a couple of years in Europe (if they are challenged there, unlike Yabu in China) is a better way than the G-League/NCAA to grow as complete players.

Furthermore, Juhann has the chance to be a starter for the Paris new shiny team, so that will help him mature as a future NBA player. Of course, he doesn't have to spent two years in the French League, he could be too good for the competition in a year if he keeps working hard.

Just like Yam, the better the competition and their coaching staff, the bigger strides in their development.

I understand most of what you're saying but don't understand Giannis. didn't he come over at 18 or 19 to the NBA? are you saying they should have kept him in Greece?

meanwhile even if Euro is better for overall basketball play (to me that is a depends where) I have no faith in Europe developing the physical traits (speed, strength, conditioning etc..) anywhere near as good as over here. From Yam, Giannis, Doncic or whomever came from over seas, they just don't have the same focus, desire or ability to get players better in that category. The NBA is a much more physical and athletic league, (though soft foul calls are a problem)
aporel18
Senior
And1: 282

Post#126 » by aporel18 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:54 pm

playa-hater wrote:
aporel18 wrote:
Half-Full wrote:

I understand most of what you're saying but don't understand Giannis. didn't he come over at 18 or 19 to the NBA? are you saying they should have kept him in Greece?

meanwhile even if Euro is better for overall basketball play (to me that is a depends where) I have no faith in Europe developing the physical traits (speed, strength, conditioning etc..) anywhere near as good as over here. From Yam, Giannis, Doncic or whomever came from over seas, they just don't have the same focus, desire or ability to get players better in that category. The NBA is a much more physical and athletic league, (though soft foul calls are a problem)

Well, of course Giannis did the right thing going to the NBA, because he wasn't playing in a good league, not even in the best Greek league, so he wasn't going to waste 4-5 years developing his basketball skills when he clearly fits better in a more physical, with more open space to drive to the basket and with (even more than in Europe) superstar calls, where he's earned boatloads of money while developing his basketball skills. At this point, I guess he'd play better in FIBA than the last time he tried, when he was still far away from his current level.

And you're right, it depends where you go: the right team and coach in Europe can do wonders for a young basketball player. In Yam's case, he needs to cut on the hero ball and play the right way. He can do it anywhere, but it's easier to do while playing in a competitive league, and he isn't ready to do it in the NBA. I don't think his biggest need is physical training, and while it's true that the better staff is in the NBA, if he went to play for a coach like Aito, he'll grow faster than in the G-League or at the end of an NBA bench. Alba isn't a Euroleague contender, so unlike those teams they can afford to develop unproven (at Euroleague level) players. But if staying overseas means going back to Hapoel, please give the kid the other 2-way contract.

Begarin, OTOH, could follow the Giannis pattern, you don't need to be an established player in Euroleague to try to play in the NBA, but the French youth system (unlike in Spain, where the focus is more on fundamentals) is quite good at the physical side, so it's more a question of using a roster spot for Juhann or not. I'd rather use those spots on veterans who can help the Jays.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#127 » by playa-hater » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:19 pm

aporel18 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
aporel18 wrote:

Well, of course Giannis did the right thing going to the NBA, because he wasn't playing in a good league, not even in the best Greek league, so he wasn't going to waste 4-5 years developing his basketball skills when he clearly fits better in a more physical, with more open space to drive to the basket and with (even more than in Europe) superstar calls, where he's earned boatloads of money while developing his basketball skills. At this point, I guess he'd play better in FIBA than the last time he tried, when he was still far away from his current level.

And you're right, it depends where you go: the right team and coach in Europe can do wonders for a young basketball player. In Yam's case, he needs to cut on the hero ball and play the right way. He can do it anywhere, but it's easier to do while playing in a competitive league, and he isn't ready to do it in the NBA. I don't think his biggest need is physical training, and while it's true that the better staff is in the NBA, if he went to play for a coach like Aito, he'll grow faster than in the G-League or at the end of an NBA bench. Alba isn't a Euroleague contender, so unlike those teams they can afford to develop unproven (at Euroleague level) players. But if staying overseas means going back to Hapoel, please give the kid the other 2-way contract.

Begarin, OTOH, could follow the Giannis pattern, you don't need to be an established player in Euroleague to try to play in the NBA, but the French youth system (unlike in Spain, where the focus is more on fundamentals) is quite good at the physical side, so it's more a question of using a roster spot for Juhann or not. I'd rather use those spots on veterans who can help the Jays.

while I still disagree, You make some very fair points.
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#128 » by moonie_mcgee » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:07 am

I thought he looked good. Stash Mader and feed him potatoes, and have Begarin on the roster as depth. He's got good size and skills- let him progress here with the team and in the States.
That's the Way of the World
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#129 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:13 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:I come away from these SL games so impressed by his natural ability and physical prowess. He's clearly a half-step slow due to the giant leap from his league to this. But at 19 y/o he really holds his own. I think he's toasted right now with dead legs and it affected his shot. I don't care where he goes to play this next season as long as conditioning and his shot are the emphasis. I think he could possibly be ready to contribute very quickly so if he goes to the G-League he could make an appearance later in the season should we make a consolidating trade opening up a roster spot and available minutes. Right now, he's not ready and thankfully he isn't needed. I hope he goes on the sauce like Tatum and comes back looking like Jaylen. If he has any work ethic whatsoever he's going to be a keeper.

Stalk much?
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#130 » by 31to6 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:42 pm

Juhann has a pretty good highlight reel from his summer league experience. Look forward to seeing more of him down the road!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#131 » by themoneyteam2 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:50 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:

Stalk much?

Commenting on your posts is now considered stalking, bud?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,801

Post#132 » by Parliament10 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:33 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,126

Post#133 » by Hal14 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:08 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He's got a bright future.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#134 » by Parliament10 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:17 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I think that Begarin should get the 2nd Two-Way.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#135 » by playa-hater » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:54 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I think that Begarin should get the 2nd Two-Way.

welcome to my club..
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,624

Post#136 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:41 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
thebirdman wrote:I do not think he will be an NBA player. I think Celtics have one of the worst international scouting departments...

Why I do not think Begarin has NBA talent? There are two things I believe you need to look at when assessing euro prospects...

Mistake some scouts/GMs are (still) doing is looking at prospects` athleticism etc. to determine whether he can make it in the NBA. Like Begarin...athletic, great frame but the problem is in the NBA he is just one of the guys...

Euro prospects that make it in the NBA are the ones that have skills which are rare or under developed in the NBA. That is why I am sure Sengun will make an impact. Great footwork and terrific post scoring separate him... who cares if he is unathletic...

Secondly, if you dominate (or at least play a lot) at young age in Europe in top competition that is an indicator that the prospect will be able to play in the NBA. Sengung who is the same age as Bagarin was MVP of Turkish league putting up 19 and 9. Garuba played 83 games for Real Madrid in ACB and Eurolegaue! Bagarin played in French B league...that is like comparing G-league to the NBA.

I just do not see a skill from Bagarin that would make him succeed at the NBA level. Maybe if he can defend like Tony Allen or start shooting threes at 40% but there is no indication that that will happen... He is a 6`5 shooting guard with great frame and good athleticism which does nothing in this league...

Isn’t Ainge jr head of international scouting? Wouldn’t be surprising then, Stevens should have cleaned house in the scouting department also. But yeah, size or athleticism(or both) is what I would like to see when they take flyers on guys overseas. I really like Sengun’s game, he’s guaranteed to be good since he was drafted with Boston’s pick.

Being superstitious causes bad luck.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#137 » by playa-hater » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:42 am

Anyone know the rules or timeline for signing a two-way player?? Meaning can we Bring in J Begarin to training camp. If he looks good we sign him 2 a 2 way Or better, If not send him overseas??

The optimist that I am I believe that JB can improve quite a bit (shooting conditioning especially) in the next few months combined with who the hell we got better for a 2 way??
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#138 » by Parliament10 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:14 am

playa-hater wrote:Anyone know the rules or timeline for signing a two-way player?? Meaning can we Bring in J Begarin to training camp. If he looks good we sign him 2 a 2 way Or better, If not send him overseas??

The optimist that I am I believe that JB can improve quite a bit (shooting conditioning especially) in the next few months combined with who the hell we got better for a 2 way??

We can sign him to a Two-Way at anytime, this whole Season.
Not sure if we can offer him an Exhibition 10? But if we can, then that can be promoted to a Two-Way, later.

Edit:
I know that we can't sign him to a Regular contract.
As that would have to be at least a 2 yr, and we'd become Hard-Capped.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,488

Post#139 » by Kalela » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:30 am

My future favorite player. I hope they don't trade Smart and they get to play with each other for the Celtics. Offense will suck obviously but I want to see them on the court together defending.
Fire Mazzulla
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,126

Post#140 » by Hal14 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:26 pm

Kalela wrote:My future favorite player. I hope they don't trade Smart and they get to play with each other for the Celtics. Offense will suck obviously but I want to see them on the court together defending.

Yeah man, watching the game the other night vs the kings, we were getting killed but the silver lining was that every time the kings went to the basket on the break, I got the feeling that Begarin was gonna get another chase down block.

Between the chase down blocks, coming out of nowhere to jump the passing lanes for steals and showing flashes of really tough, in your face stick to him like glue on the ball defense, it was fun to watch. And he's only 19 so you can't help but wonder how good he'll be in a few years.

He plays with this hustle/effort/tenacity that you can't teach. That combined with his physique/size/athleticism and there is some potential there for sure.

But yeah, Begarin and Smart out there together woiuld be fun to watch.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)

Return to Boston Celtics