ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,338

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#721 » by aminiaturebuddha » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:18 pm

I see that Xavier Rathan-Mayes is on the Wizards summer league roster, and got a few minutes in their game last night. However, it doesn't feel like a real chance to get back to the league. The Wizards lost a bunch of players to Covid protocols and had to just grab a bunch of warm bodies to be able to fill out the minimum required roster to play games.

However he got there, a chance is a chance, and unfortunately he didn't do much with it. 0-3 in 11 minutes with 2 turnovers (5 rebounds though).
Kenter16
Junior
And1: 91

Post#722 » by Kenter16 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:50 pm

Somehow we went up in the rankings! That win vs Greece must’ve counted for a lot.

https://www.fiba.basketball/rankingmen
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#723 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:58 pm

They have modified how they do these rankings a lot in recent years to make them more accurate. And they have improved a lot. Nonetheless, some of them are still ridiculous.

Like Argentina at #7...............I mean all due respect to Argentina, and they have some good players, but no way in hell are they the 7th best team in the world.

Czech Republic and Poland are too high, Croatia too low, etc.

They still need to clean up how they do these rankings some more.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,880

Post#724 » by mojo13 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:34 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:They have modified how they do these rankings a lot in recent years to make them more accurate. And they have improved a lot. Nonetheless, some of them are still ridiculous.

Like Argentina at #7...............I mean all due respect to Argentina, and they have some good players, but no way in hell are they the 7th best team in the world.

Czech Republic and Poland are too high, Croatia too low, etc.

They still need to clean up how they do these rankings some more.

If you are still taking these rankings as indication of relative strength of whatever current iteration of a team a country puts on the floor, then you are looking at this in completely the wrong way. As if Canada with a near full compliment of players is anywhere near 18th in the world?

This a formulaic ranking of the the past 8 years of FIBA head to head results between nations (with a time decay and many other variables) - that's it.

This newish formula (implemented in 2017 I believe) does a better job as most recent results are much more heavily weighted along with the results of individual games mattering more than just tournament placing. Point spreads on wins and losses matter. Location of the game (home/away/neutral) matters. Ranking of the team played matters. Quality of tournament matters (Olys, WC, Qualifiers etc.). Phase of the tournament matters.

A recent blow out win against a much higher ranked opponent on their (or neutral) floor in a big tournament can add up to a really good amount of points.

Your opinion on whether a team is too high or too low ranked is meaningless. Croatia has done nothing for years - same goes for Canada. Argentina was second at the 2019 World Cup going 7-1 with wins over Serbia and France along the way. Czech Rep was 6th in the WC and had a good blow-out (25 point) Qualifier win over # 6 Greece (and a win over Canada worth much less points). Canada's win over #6 Greece was enough to pick up meaningful points.

You can critique their weightings and the formula if you want. Tell me what is off? Should there be more of a time decay? Or you get even more of a multiplier for the Olympics (2x) or World Cup (2.5x)? I'd be interested in what you think should be cleaned up? But first you need to understand what these ranking mean and how they are calculated.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#725 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:08 am

They obviously need to make it more accurate to the level of competition. Olympics should be the third weighted competition, not first. It's clearly much lower level overall than EuroBasket and even the World Cup. EuroBasket should be weighted first, then the World Cup second, then the Olympics third.

AmeriCup should clearly also be weighted higher than the other regional cups. I mean it's obviously a way higher level of competition than the African and Asian cups are.

They should also only use one cycle of competitions (4 years) and not two (8 years). Regardless of the fake and false marketing gimmicks that US sports media is always claiming, that "all the other teams besides USA play together for years, since they were kids" - the reality is that 90% of the national teams completely change in 8 years, and most of them even just in 4 years. So it makes no sense at all for 90% of the teams to be going back 8 years.

They also need to stop penalizing European teams for missing the Olympics, if they are not going to add more places to the Olympics. Because it is extremely hard to qualify for the Olympics through Europe, and now Spain is the only major European basketball power that hasn't missed the Olympics recently. And Spain could very well miss the next several Olympics under this current system. So if they won't correct for that, then they need to stop penalizing European teams for not qualifying.

They should also factor that in for teams that have a ridiculously easy path to qualify for the Olympics and/or World Cup. Under the system, Australia automatically qualifies for the Olympics and the World Cup. Which greatly skews their rankings, as does playing in the weakest region (Oceania / Asia). New Zealand also has an auto qualification for every World Cup, and so forth. Those teams shouldn't be getting added points for what are de facto auto qualifications.

If they would fix those things, then they would actually have an accurate ranking.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#726 » by mojo13 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:12 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:They obviously need to make it more accurate to the level of competition. Olympics should be the third weighted competition, not first. It's clearly much lower level overall than EuroBasket and even the World Cup. EuroBasket should be weighted first, then the World Cup second, then the Olympics third.

AmeriCup should clearly also be weighted higher than the other regional cups. I mean it's obviously a way higher level of competition than the African and Asian cups are.

They should also only use one cycle of competitions (4 years) and not two (8 years). Regardless of the fake and false marketing gimmicks that US sports media is always claiming, that "all the other teams besides USA play together for years, since they were kids" - the reality is that 90% of the national teams completely change in 8 years, and most of them even just in 4 years. So it makes no sense at all for 90% of the teams to be going back 8 years.

They also need to stop penalizing European teams for missing the Olympics, if they are not going to add more places to the Olympics. Because it is extremely hard to qualify for the Olympics through Europe, and now Spain is the only major European basketball power that hasn't missed the Olympics recently. And Spain could very well miss the next several Olympics under this current system. So if they won't correct for that, then they need to stop penalizing European teams for not qualifying.

They should also factor that in for teams that have a ridiculously easy path to qualify for the Olympics and/or World Cup. Under the system, Australia automatically qualifies for the Olympics and the World Cup. Which greatly skews their rankings, as does playing in the weakest region (Oceania / Asia). New Zealand also has an auto qualification for every World Cup, and so forth. Those teams shouldn't be getting added points for what are de facto auto qualifications.

If they would fix those things, then they would actually have an accurate ranking.

I wrote a detailed response to this the other day but it seems to have been lost in the site crash. In short it seems clear you don't understand how the formula works and you should review it.

Teams are not penalized for missing the Olympics - at worst they miss out on the opportunity to gain points via wins. Nations can technically lose points in the Olympics with poor results. If the match points in a loss are below their current average it will reduce their ranking points. This happened to Nigeria from their three Olympic losses (They went from 439 to 429 points). And why Iran overtook Nigeria in the rankings (Iran moved up about 6 points, even though they lost all three). The Czechs who lost all three also went down in points (585 to 579) - but that is muddy as they played in the Qualifier as well. They clearly has some good historical match points time decay out.
Greece didn't drop in points b/c they missed the Olympics but because of the losses to Canada and the Czechs in the Qualifiers and time decay on past points (I can accept an argument that missing the Olympics or WCs puts you at the mercy of time decay and you will likely drop in points)

The major events and regions are already weighted from 2.5x for the World Cup all they way down to 0.3 for the Afrobasket (and weighted for pre-qualifiers, qualifiers as well). It almost follows the order you want above to a tee (except the it goes WC 2.5x, Olympics, 2.0x then Euros 1.0x).

The time decay also drops the historical results much as you ask with Year 6 & 7 results worth as little as 0.25x.
They have also already combined Oceania and Asia for WC qualifying.

Read it:
http://www.fiba.basketball/documents/rankingmen/howitworks
mojo13
Veteran

Post#727 » by mojo13 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:13 pm

I'll leave this for the rest of you to digest. Out of my element this young.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
mojo13
Veteran

Post#728 » by mojo13 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:40 pm

More on the u16 team:
https://www.basketball.ca/news/canadas-u16-mens-national-team-announced-ahead-of-the-fiba-u16-americas-championship-2021

Taj Au-Duke
Point Guard
6'2”
Scarborough, ON
Undecided

Jaeden Brooks
Power Forward
6'7”
Calgary, AB
Edge Prep

Stefan Jimenez-Vojnic
Power Forward/Centre
6’9”
Toronto, ON
United Scholastic Academy

Baraka Okojie
Point Guard
6’0”
Caledon, ON
Undecided

Efeosa Oliogu
Small Forward
6’7”
Oshawa, ON
United Scholastic Academy

Stephan Osei
Power Forward
6’9”
Toronto, ON
RSL Academy

AJ Osman
Guard
6'3"
Ottawa, ON
Dream City

Olivier Rioux
Centre
7’4”
Anjou, QC
IMG Academy

Ishan Sharma
Shooting Guard
6’5”
Milton, ON
Fort Erie Int. Academy

Jacob Theodosiou
Guard
6’4”
Waterloo, ON
Western Reserve Academy

Mikkel Tyne
Point Guard
5'10"
Brampton, ON
Huntington Prep

Char Yeiy
Centre
6'8"
London, ON
Blair Academy

Sooooooo....Olivier Rioux at 7'4. Tell me more....
mojo13
Veteran

Post#729 » by mojo13 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:42 pm

He seems literally unable to jump here:

Just like me at 15!
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,338

Post#730 » by aminiaturebuddha » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:19 pm

mojo13 wrote:He seems literally unable to jump here:

Just like me at 15!

I remember seeing some videos of him a year or two ago, and he definitely seems to have filled out a bit. He no longer looks like he'd get knocked down by a mild breeze.

However, he doesn't look like he has even half the mobility of someone like Zach Edey, our other young giant, so I'm not sure what Rioux's long term prospects are going to be, other than beating up on smaller high school teams.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#731 » by Hair Canada » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:56 pm

Some initial thoughts about the U16 team:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2117015
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
mtr15
Pro Prospect
And1: 39

Post#732 » by mtr15 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:05 pm

The Jane and Finch Classic basketball tournament just took place recently at the Playground Global in Oshawa. A bunch of elite high school players from various grade/age levels took part. The most anticipated game was the championship game at the 18U level between Canada Elite and All-4-One. Leonard Miller (Canada Elite) and Elijah Fisher (All-4-One) faced each other. And it was lopsided. Not only Canada Elite blew out All-4-One, 68-26, but Leonard simply outplayed Fisher. They are only separated by a month and a few days (Nov 26, 2003 for Miller and Jan 3, 2004 for Fisher) but Miller looked like the true NBA star prospect on the floor. He made a few 3s, took it to the rim coast to coast and made an and 1. He also flashed his ball handling skills . And he has grown to 6’9” or 6’10”. He was 6’5” a few years ago.

Here’s the YT link to the full game:

Miller wore #5 in white and Fisher wore #2 in black.

Miller will be attending the new Fort Erie International Academy Prep program this upcoming season. Fort Erie is one of the new teams in the OSBA and they will also play south of the border in the prestigious Grind Session circuit. Hopefully they’ll get to play Dream City Christian and Shaedon Sharpe. I think Sharpe and Miller will be the clear #1-2 in the 2022 Canadian rankings once it’s all set and done.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#733 » by Hair Canada » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:10 pm

mtr15 wrote:The Jane and Finch Classic basketball tournament just took place recently at the Playground Global in Oshawa. A bunch of elite high school players from various grade/age levels took part. The most anticipated game was the championship game at the 18U level between Canada Elite and All-4-One. Leonard Miller (Canada Elite) and Elijah Fisher (All-4-One) faced each other. And it was lopsided. Not only Canada Elite blew out All-4-One, 68-26, but Leonard simply outplayed Fisher. They are only separated by a month and a few days (Nov 26, 2003 for Miller and Jan 3, 2004 for Fisher) but Miller looked like the true NBA star prospect on the floor. He made a few 3s, took it to the rim coast to coast and made an and 1. He also flashed his ball handling skills . And he has grown to 6’9” or 6’10”. He was 6’5” a few years ago.

Miller will be attending the new Fort Erie International Academy Prep program this upcoming season. Fort Erie is one of the new teams in the OSBA and they will also play south of the border in the prestigious Grind Session circuit. Hopefully they’ll get to play Dream City Christian and Shaedon Sharpe. I think Sharpe and Miller will be the clear #1-2 in the 2022 Canadian rankings once it’s all set and done.

What a beat-down this was! I think it ended 68:26... Canada Elite is clearly the more gifted team. Their whole starting 5 looked like D1 players. Miller (Emmanuel's brother) is indeed quite a revelation, finally breaking out of his shell. The intriguing potential was already there earlier on (he was part of the U16 team two years ago with Sharpe, Houstan, and Nembhard, though he didn't play much). But, as you say, he added at least two more inches, got stronger, and improved his game. I still don't like his outside shooting, which hasn't changed much during the years (shoots a really low ball and is too eager to shoot them). But hopefully, he can work on that (really needs to change the release) and he now has real potential to be a mobile 4, which opens up the game for him.

I also like the potential of big man Armani Maighty for Canada Elite. Big, bouncy, and mobile. Lots to work with. Ose Okojie is also a very nice prospect at 6'6 with a big body and good skill. I believehe was the MVP of the tournament. And #0 (I think Vasean Allette?) was also great. Probably the MVP of this particular game.

One player who I didn't recognize for CE was #9. Also looked like an interesting prospect, tall and skilled. Do you know who that is?

As for Fisher...

As you say, he's about Miller's age and there's really no reason he should stay in the class of 2023, except maybe to maintain the hype as "one of the top players in the world in his class". This was a particularly bad game from him, but it did expose the various weaknesses in his game that just don't seem to improve. Very right-hand dominant, which makes him predictable. Weak perimeter game, which really limits him in the half-court offense. Very little mid-range game as well. When he meets a big and talented team with athleticism like he did here or in the U19, he just doesn't have any moves or skills to counter with and is left just with his (very strong) transition game and some bully ball that occasionally works.

I kind of agree with you on that, regardless of who's the better longer-term prospect, him or Miller. Just not sure how long he'll be able to sustain the hype. With each one of these games, it becomes more apparent how limited he is (just compare to Sharpe's 3-level scoring game and better athleticism) and he's not big enough to compensate for his deficiencies. At some point, the Canadian basketball collective that still seems oblivious to this will have to wake up and smell the flowers.

And the decisions to (1) stay in Canada and (2) stay in mediocre AAU and high school teams also don't really help here. He's still mostly able to look dominant against kids his age or younger, or against weak teams, but then comes a game like this one and really exposes him. He needs to play many more of these throughout the year and try to figure out how he'll remain an effective tool at the higher levels. Doesn't seem like he's ready to do that...
— Steve Nash
mtr15
Pro Prospect

Post#734 » by mtr15 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:04 pm

Hair Canada wrote:
mtr15 wrote:The Jane and Finch Classic basketball tournament just took place recently at the Playground Global in Oshawa. A bunch of elite high school players from various grade/age levels took part. The most anticipated game was the championship game at the 18U level between Canada Elite and All-4-One. Leonard Miller (Canada Elite) and Elijah Fisher (All-4-One) faced each other. And it was lopsided. Not only Canada Elite blew out All-4-One, 68-26, but Leonard simply outplayed Fisher. They are only separated by a month and a few days (Nov 26, 2003 for Miller and Jan 3, 2004 for Fisher) but Miller looked like the true NBA star prospect on the floor. He made a few 3s, took it to the rim coast to coast and made an and 1. He also flashed his ball handling skills . And he has grown to 6’9” or 6’10”. He was 6’5” a few years ago.

What a beat-down this was! I think it ended 68:26... Canada Elite is clearly the more gifted team. Their whole starting 5 looked like D1 players. Miller (Emmanuel's brother) is indeed quite a revelation, finally breaking out of his shell. The intriguing potential was already there earlier on (he was part of the U16 team two years ago with Sharpe, Houstan, and Nembhard, though he didn't play much). But, as you say, he added at least two more inches, got stronger, and improved his game. I still don't like his outside shooting, which hasn't changed much during the years (shoots a really low ball and is too eager to shoot them). But hopefully, he can work on that (really needs to change the release) and he now has real potential to be a mobile 4, which opens up the game for him.

I also like the potential of big man Armani Maighty for Canada Elite. Big, bouncy, and mobile. Lots to work with. Ose Okojie is also a very nice prospect at 6'6 with a big body and good skill. I believehe was the MVP of the tournament. And #0 (I think Vasean Allette?) was also great. Probably the MVP of this particular game.

One player who I didn't recognize for CE was #9. Also looked like an interesting prospect, tall and skilled. Do you know who that is?

As for Fisher...

As you say, he's about Miller's age and there's really no reason he should stay in the class of 2023, except maybe to maintain the hype as "one of the top players in the world in his class". This was a particularly bad game from him, but it did expose the various weaknesses in his game that just don't seem to improve. Very right-hand dominant, which makes him predictable. Weak perimeter game, which really limits him in the half-court offense. Very little mid-range game as well. When he meets a big and talented team with athleticism like he did here or in the U19, he just doesn't have any moves or skills to counter with and is left just with his (very strong) transition game and some bully ball that occasionally works.

I kind of agree with you on that, regardless of who's the better longer-term prospect, him or Miller. Just not sure how long he'll be able to sustain the hype. With each one of these games, it becomes more apparent how limited he is (just compare to Sharpe's 3-level scoring game and better athleticism) and he's not big enough to compensate for his deficiencies. At some point, the Canadian basketball collective that still seems oblivious to this will have to wake up and smell the flowers.

And the decisions to (1) stay in Canada and (2) stay in mediocre AAU and high school teams also don't really help here. He's still mostly able to look dominant against kids his age or younger, or against weak teams, but then comes a game like this one and really exposes him. He needs to play many more of these throughout the year and try to figure out how he'll remain an effective tool at the higher levels. Doesn't seem like he's ready to do that...

#9 for Canada Elite was Nigel Hylton. He and Miller made things difficult for Fisher and CE played a zone to force All-4-One to make outside shots.

#0 for CE was indeed Vasean Allette, who's 6'3". I think he's playing a year or two ahead and is currently in the 2023 class and will be attending United Scholastic Academy in Scarborough, ON (another new team in the OSBA). Was impressive throughout the J&F Classic with his hustle, nose for the ball and shot making. His playing style reminds me of Kyle Lowry.

The head coach at Fort Erie Prep is Charles Hantoumakos. He was the HC at Athlete Institute back in 2017-18 and coached Luguentz Dort. Hantoumakos is one of the assistants at the U16 Canada team this month and that team has one of his players in Ishan Sharma.

As for Fisher, he needs to have a monster season in order for Crestwood to have a chance to be one of the top teams in the OSBA. The competition is much more tougher, with 5 new teams and more talent. Fisher will play Miller in the OSBA when Crestwood and Fort Erie play each other. Ro Russell is no longer the coach (but unsure if he's still there as the basketball program director). Marlo Davis, HC of the championship Crestwood girls team back in 2019-20, is now the boys HC at Crestwood. Davis was also an assistant for Canada at the U19 girls World Cup in Hungary and was the lead guy for the Grassroots Elite Canada AAU team this summer with Fisher, Romad Dean, Zaiden Cross, Justice Gordon and Jaden Witter Watts.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#735 » by Hair Canada » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:37 pm

Thanks for the info. I had a suspicion this might be Nigel, but he looks quite different from how he looked when I last saw him. Bulked up quite a bit and matured (I guess that's to be expected :). All in all, that's a very talented team for CE.

And as for Miller becoming the undisputed #2 in this class (Sharpe is light years ahead of the competition I think), I'll need to see more to judge. He still seems not dialed in at all times and while I like the competitiveness he showed here, it seems to come and go a bit. Right now I probably have Wilguens Exacte ahead of him, but it's close, with Zaiden Cross also maybe in the conversation (both are better shooters than Miller at this point). Anyway, will be nice to have Miller playing back in Canada next year, as I haven't watched him play in nearly two years.
— Steve Nash
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 948

Post#736 » by TheFutureMM » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:21 pm

mojo13 wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:They obviously need to make it more accurate to the level of competition. Olympics should be the third weighted competition, not first. It's clearly much lower level overall than EuroBasket and even the World Cup. EuroBasket should be weighted first, then the World Cup second, then the Olympics third.

I wrote a detailed response to this the other day but it seems to have been lost in the site crash. In short it seems clear you don't understand how the formula works and you should review it.

Teams are not penalized for missing the Olympics - at worst they miss out on the opportunity to gain points via wins. Nations can technically lose points in the Olympics with poor results. If the match points in a loss are below their current average it will reduce their ranking points. This happened to Nigeria from their three Olympic losses (They went from 439 to 429 points). And why Iran overtook Nigeria in the rankings (Iran moved up about 6 points, even though they lost all three). The Czechs who lost all three also went down in points (585 to 579) - but that is muddy as they played in the Qualifier as well. They clearly has some good historical match points time decay out.
Greece didn't drop in points b/c they missed the Olympics but because of the losses to Canada and the Czechs in the Qualifiers and time decay on past points (I can accept an argument that missing the Olympics or WCs puts you at the mercy of time decay and you will likely drop in points)

The major events and regions are already weighted from 2.5x for the World Cup all they way down to 0.3 for the Afrobasket (and weighted for pre-qualifiers, qualifiers as well). It almost follows the order you want above to a tee (except the it goes WC 2.5x, Olympics, 2.0x then Euros 1.0x).

The time decay also drops the historical results much as you ask with Year 6 & 7 results worth as little as 0.25x.
They have also already combined Oceania and Asia for WC qualifying.

Read it:
http://www.fiba.basketball/documents/rankingmen/howitworks

Lots of great points - I do think the Euros should be weighed higher than 1.0x at this point. It's relative level of competition is much higher than say the America's and it's currently a 0.2 difference based on weighting by FIBA.
mtr15
Pro Prospect

Post#737 » by mtr15 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:13 pm

Hair Canada wrote:Thanks for the info. I had a suspicion this might be Nigel, but he looks quite different from how he looked when I last saw him. Bulked up quite a bit and matured (I guess that's to be expected :). All in all, that's a very talented team for CE.

And as for Miller becoming the undisputed #2 in this class (Sharpe is light years ahead of the competition I think), I'll need to see more to judge. He still seems not dialed in at all times and while I like the competitiveness he showed here, it seems to come and go a bit. Right now I probably have Wilguens Exacte ahead of him, but it's close, with Zaiden Cross also maybe in the conversation (both are better shooters than Miller at this point). Anyway, will be nice to have Miller playing back in Canada next year, as I haven't watched him play in nearly two years.

I think Miller was with UPlay earlier this year but moved to Canada Elite just recently. I think he made the right choice as CE allowed Miller to showcase his talents. With Uplay, he was stuck behind Sharpe.

What are your long-term thoughts on Vasean Allette? He was one of the most impressive players at the J&F Classic for CE and also at the CYBL tournament this past weekend (at the same venue as the J&F Classic in Oshawa, ON). I was there in person at the CYBL event and he made a tough pull up 3 right in front of me with the defender draped all over him. He also made some nifty passes that led to baskets.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#738 » by Hair Canada » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:15 pm

mtr15 wrote:
Hair Canada wrote:Thanks for the info. I had a suspicion this might be Nigel, but he looks quite different from how he looked when I last saw him. Bulked up quite a bit and matured (I guess that's to be expected :). All in all, that's a very talented team for CE.

I think Miller was with UPlay earlier this year but moved to Canada Elite just recently. I think he made the right choice as CE allowed Miller to showcase his talents. With Uplay, he was stuck behind Sharpe.

What are your long-term thoughts on Vasean Allette? He was one of the most impressive players at the J&F Classic for CE and also at the CYBL tournament this past weekend (at the same venue as the J&F Classic in Oshawa, ON). I was there in person at the CYBL event and he made a tough pull up 3 right in front of me with the defender draped all over him. He also made some nifty passes that led to baskets.

Miller was indeed registered with Uplay but I doubt he was actually with the team because I watched their games this summer and he didn't play a single minute. They actually sorely needed someone with his size and skill set, because they really lacked bigs with both athleticism and skill. And I think he would actually fit in nicely next to Sharpe and not be overshadowed by him, as he's more of a combo-forward. Too bad it didn't happen, because Nike EYBL is the biggest stage and he could have shown his potential there. Put Miller, Hilton, and Mighty as the wings and bigs next to Sharpe, DJ Jackson, and Josiah Davis, and you have a team that is a serious Peach Jam contender.

I think beyond the perimeter shooting that I mentioned, Miller also needs to further balk up to really unleash his potential on both ends. On defense, he's long and moves well, but even in this game was overpowered a couple of times by the likes of Fisher and Romad Dean. I think there's a good chance though that now, as he might be done with his growth spurt, he'll start filling into his frame (I think it's already started).

As for Allete, I love his tenacity and attack mentality, coupled with a strong body. I see what you mean with the reference to Lowry, but Kyle is exceptionally strong and a much better shooter (though it's way too early to tell where Allete is going on that front). Also, right now, he's more of a scorer than a facilitator from what I've seen and he'll need to work more on balancing that and becoming a true PG. But he's young (I think class of 2023, right?), has decent size and athleticism, and as you say already has impressive shot-making skills. Certainly an interesting prospect and someone to follow.
— Steve Nash
mtr15
Pro Prospect

Post#739 » by mtr15 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:10 pm

Hair Canada wrote:
mtr15 wrote:

Miller was indeed registered with Uplay but I doubt he was actually with the team because I watched their games this summer and he didn't play a single minute. They actually sorely needed someone with his size and skill set, because they really lacked bigs with both athleticism and skill. And I think he would actually fit in nicely next to Sharpe and not be overshadowed by him, as he's more of a combo-forward. Too bad it didn't happen, because Nike EYBL is the biggest stage and he could have shown his potential there. Put Miller, Hilton, and Mighty as the wings and bigs next to Sharpe, DJ Jackson, and Josiah Davis, and you have a team that is a serious Peach Jam contender.

I think beyond the perimeter shooting that I mentioned, Miller also needs to further balk up to really unleash his potential on both ends. On defense, he's long and moves well, but even in this game was overpowered a couple of times by the likes of Fisher and Romad Dean. I think there's a good chance though that now, as he might be done with his growth spurt, he'll start filling into his frame (I think it's already started).

As for Allete, I love his tenacity and attack mentality, coupled with a strong body. I see what you mean with the reference to Lowry, but Kyle is exceptionally strong and a much better shooter (though it's way too early to tell where Allete is going on that front). Also, right now, he's more of a scorer than a facilitator from what I've seen and he'll need to work more on balancing that and becoming a true PG. But he's young (I think class of 2023, right?), has decent size and athleticism, and as you say already has impressive shot-making skills. Certainly an interesting prospect and someone to follow.

Allette is currently in the 2023 class. I don’t think he played last season but he played at St. Louis Christian Academy in 2019-20 in Missouri. His team played in the Grind Session circuit and he played against Jalen Green and Prolific Prep.

Allette’s new prep school, United Scholastic Academy in Scarborough, will also play in the Grind Session this upcoming season. Many of Allette’s teammates on Canada Elite are also on the same academy prep team.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#740 » by Hair Canada » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:57 pm

Seems like the OSBA is going to be quite interesting next year, with some new teams and good talent that's coming back from playing in the US. Looking forward to it after the long hiatus.
— Steve Nash

Return to Toronto Raptors