Warriors 2021 Roster/Lineup

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

TB
General Manager
And1: 1,142

Re: Warriors 2021 Roster/Lineup 

Post#201 » by TB » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:15 pm

Impuniti wrote:
TB wrote:I'm ready for Poole to start at SG until Klay is back (maybe permanently if Klay has lost a step or embraces the Manu role). Last year Steph put up MVP number while carrying the dead weight of Oubre and Wiseman to start games. Let's put in players that actually help make the game easier for Steph. Yes, I get that Poole is always pencilled in as our bench scorer, but i'm fine letting the bench figure it out instead of relying on Steph to play with weaker links.

Steph, Poole, Wiggins, Dray, Looney. Will be nice to be winning most games after the 1st.

If Klay is in the Manu role, he needs to be traded in the 22 summer. As great as he is, Warriors can't afford to have a 40m supersub. And Warriors are beating the Lakers. Book it.

If Klay gets back to being Klay, he will start. But if it takes him some time and he is staying in the 20-28 minute range for the entirety of this season (maybe into next year), thats fine with me. My point is I don't really want to rely on him starting this season after missing two full years. i HOPE he can get to the level of a Manu supersub that can close games this year. To me that is a win for this season.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,175

Post#202 » by Impuniti » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:23 pm

TB wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
TB wrote:I'm ready for Poole to start at SG until Klay is back (maybe permanently if Klay has lost a step or embraces the Manu role). Last year Steph put up MVP number while carrying the dead weight of Oubre and Wiseman to start games. Let's put in players that actually help make the game easier for Steph. Yes, I get that Poole is always pencilled in as our bench scorer, but i'm fine letting the bench figure it out instead of relying on Steph to play with weaker links.

Steph, Poole, Wiggins, Dray, Looney. Will be nice to be winning most games after the 1st.

If Klay is in the Manu role, he needs to be traded in the 22 summer. As great as he is, Warriors can't afford to have a 40m supersub. And Warriors are beating the Lakers. Book it.

If Klay gets back to being Klay, he will start. But if it takes him some time and he is staying in the 20-28 minute range for the entirety of this season (maybe into next year), thats fine with me. My point is I don't really want to rely on him starting this season after missing two full years. i HOPE he can get to the level of a Manu supersub that can close games this year. To me that is a win for this season.

I'm fine if Klay can only play 6 minute quarters at a high level for this season. I already said if he comes back in December, I'm ok with him heading to the G-league and staying there for 1-2 more months to get necessary reps before he's back. Warriors can't treat this season like a training arc as they did last season with Wiseman.

But if he comes back and is super sluggish, slow and just mediocre by March/April, that's a big problem.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#203 » by xdrta+ » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:27 pm

No way Klay will be in the G league.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,077

Post#204 » by The-Power » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:39 pm

TB wrote:Yes, I get that Poole is always pencilled in as our bench scorer, but i'm fine letting the bench figure it out instead of relying on Steph to play with weaker links.

There is really no bench unit without both Curry and Poole regardless of whether Poole starts or not, I believe. If he starts, Poole will be subbed out earlier and start the 2nd quarter when Steph sits. If he's coming off the bench, Poole will be subbed in at some point in the 1st quarter and start the 2nd as well. In both cases, there's some minutes overlap with Curry but the minutes are still staggered. So I don't really think it makes that much of a difference when it comes to Curry and the bench unit, although it's probably easier to have Poole finish games when he starts. I think the question of starting is approached differently (e.g. Do we prefer to start with our best option next to Curry or do we want the additional punch off the bench? Are we okay with shuffling around the rotation patterns this much in the middle of the season when Klay comes back? Who do we anticipate to be part of the finishing line-up at this point?).

At least that's how I see it. One thing I'll say about Lee or Moody as potential starters until Klay returns is that I'm not sure the coaches are willing to commit to playing either of them guaranteed minutes every single game – which is what starting does. I somewhat doubt that, especially for Moody as a Rookie considering how Kerr and Myers have talked about their expectations. This could give Poole an advantage in terms of being named the starter in Klay's absence. Because who else could join the starting line-up that is guaranteed to get minutes? Porter is perhaps the only option and that's only if you are willing to move Wiggins to the SG spot. At least that's the case if you accept that neither Moody nor Lee are likely to be seen as players to rely on for – at the absolute minimum – 10-12 MPG every single game (of course, one of them could step up and convince the coaches that he's ready and deserving of that kind of commitment, in which case that player becomes a viable option).
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,175

Post#205 » by Impuniti » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:42 pm

xdrta+ wrote:No way Klay will be in the G league.

Why not? Warriors can't afford for Klay to figure it out because it might take him 2 months to get there. He could be a hindrance on the court and cause Warriors a won of losses.

Outside of Klay's pride, there's no downside to him playing in the G league until he's closer to being back.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#206 » by FNQ » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:36 am

Mob Byers wrote:To start the season, rough guess minutes wise:
Curry 32
Wiggins 32
Green 32
Poole 28
-----
OPJ 26
Wiseman 22
Lee 20
Andre 16
Looney 16
Bjelica 16

Top 4 guys more consistent, bottom 6 I think will fluctuate a lot with some minutes going to JTA, Rookies depending on match ups and how some of those guys play

Didn't we have a conversation about this yesterday? Seems to be gone
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#207 » by Mob Byers » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:30 am

FNQ wrote:
Curry 32
Wiggins 32
Green 32
Poole 28
-----
OPJ 26
Wiseman 22
Lee 20
Andre 16
Looney 16
Bjelica 16

Top 4 guys more consistent, bottom 6 I think will fluctuate a lot with some minutes going to JTA, Rookies depending on match ups and how some of those guys play

Yessir and I really liked how you broke it all down.

Apparently RGM had to use a back up and lots of posts/threads were lost after they were hacked early this morning
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#208 » by FNQ » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:05 am

Mob Byers wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Curry 32
Wiggins 32
Green 32
Poole 28
-----
OPJ 26
Wiseman 22
Lee 20
Andre 16
Looney 16
Bjelica 16

Apparently RGM had to use a back up and lots of posts/threads were lost after they were hacked early this morning

Ah yeah just read that. Crazy.. who'd hack RGM?

Oh well, at least now there's nothing we can see that's gonna move the needle of playing time, we've just gotta wait it out and see what happens. But very interested to see what happens with OPJ/Wiseman in camp, because of their respective injuries
NeoWarriors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,321

Post#209 » by NeoWarriors » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:52 pm

FNQ wrote:
Mob Byers wrote:
FNQ wrote:

Ah yeah just read that. Crazy.. who'd hack RGM?

Oh well, at least now there's nothing we can see that's gonna move the needle of playing time, we've just gotta wait it out and see what happens. But very interested to see what happens with OPJ/Wiseman in camp, because of their respective injuries
Maybe it was Tsherkin coming back for his ultimate revenge. He came to finish off Coxy once and for all.

Sent from my Golden State Warriors Protoast Elite toaster using RealGM mobile app
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#210 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:50 pm

Impuniti wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:No way Klay will be in the G league.

Why not? Warriors can't afford for Klay to figure it out because it might take him 2 months to get there. He could be a hindrance on the court and cause Warriors a won of losses.

Outside of Klay's pride, there's no downside to him playing in the G league until he's closer to being back.

I don't think he needs it. He knows how to play and how to get physically ready. The psychology of him trusting his body isn't going to be helped by playing an hour+ drive from home.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#211 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:06 am

Season will start with:
Curry, Wiggins, OPJ, Draymond, Looney
Bench
Poole, Lee, JTA, BJ, Wiseman

By mid season:
Curry, Klay, Wiggins, Draymond, Wiseman
Poole, Lee, OPJ, BJ, Looney
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#212 » by shazam_guy » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:12 pm

It's not like baseball. I'm only guessing, but I suspect that they're a lot more reluctant in the NBA to send a rehabbing starter down to the GLeague, where some rookie might try to make a name with a crazy block and put Klay back on the IL. Easier to protect your injured, returning star in the actual NBA.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#213 » by Samurai » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:06 pm

shazam_guy wrote:It's not like baseball. I'm only guessing, but I suspect that they're a lot more reluctant in the NBA to send a rehabbing starter down to the GLeague, where some rookie might try to make a name with a crazy block and put Klay back on the IL. Easier to protect your injured, returning star in the actual NBA.

The only scenario I see Klay in the G-League is for conditioning. I think Boogie Cousins went to Santa Cruz for a game (or two?) to try to build up his endurance because there are very few 5-on-5 scrimmages during the regular season. Running on a treadmill or swimming laps, which Boogie also did, helps with endurance but it isn't quite the same as actually playing in a full-court game.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Post#214 » by clyde21 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:41 pm

lol @ klay playing in the G League
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#215 » by xdrta+ » Thu Sep 2, 2021 1:08 am

Now that Bazemore is gone, I wonder if any Warriors are still unvaccinated. San Francisco requires proof of vaccination for entry into (among many other places) "...establishments where any patrons engage in cardiovascular aerobic strength training, or other exercise involving elevated breathing."
Read on Twitter
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#216 » by ChuckDurn » Thu Sep 2, 2021 1:54 am

xdrta+ wrote:Now that Bazemore is gone, I wonder if any Warriors are still unvaccinated. San Francisco requires proof of vaccination for entry into (among many other places) "...establishments where any patrons engage in cardiovascular aerobic strength training, or other exercise involving elevated breathing."
Read on Twitter

Note that at this time, this only applies to players on the home team (i.e. the Warriors).

An opponent could come in with everybody unvaccinated, and they could all play.

I realize the NBA doesn’t want to make waves, and doesn’t want to create the situation of “the Warriors/Nets/Knicks got an additional home court advantage because opponents had players disqualified from playing them”, but it’s kind of ridiculous from a health and safety situation that (visiting) players are exempted from what everybody else in the building has to do, by law.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#217 » by Mob Byers » Thu Sep 2, 2021 2:09 am

Lol there is no "law"
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Post#218 » by clyde21 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 2:58 am

garbage mandates that don't make any sense. SF is a mindless city at this point.
S-Gorilla86
Freshman
And1: 57

Post#219 » by S-Gorilla86 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 4:13 am

xdrta+ wrote:Now that Bazemore is gone, I wonder if any Warriors are still unvaccinated. San Francisco requires proof of vaccination for entry into (among many other places) "...establishments where any patrons engage in cardiovascular aerobic strength training, or other exercise involving elevated breathing."
Read on Twitter
I remember Wiggins didn't get the vax last season, but not sure if that has changed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nba.nbcsports.com/2021/03/23/andrew-wiggins-says-he-wont-get-coronavirus-vaccine-soon-unless-forced/amp/

Sent from my LM-V600 using RealGM mobile app
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#220 » by xdrta+ » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:31 am

clyde21 wrote:garbage mandates that don't make any sense. SF is a mindless city at this point.

They make a lot of sense. The only thing wrong with them is they are not stronger.

Edit: The NBA needs to have a uniform policy instead of relying on a hodgepodge of different city rules. For instance in Toronto, unvaccinated players are expected to be able to play in games, provided they have a negative COVID-19 test, but they will not interact with people outside of their team’s travel party, nor will they be able to leave their hotel beyond going to practice or games. Other cities have other rules that are subject to change. The NBA needs to step up with a single, strict policy.

Return to Golden State Warriors