Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#781 » by DCasey91 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:50 pm

Arsenal wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
kuclas wrote: Sexton is a better player right now. He’s a better shooter as well.

But how much more is sexton really when adjusted for age/experience and minutes played as well as being the number 1 option than maxey.

I agree. We need to get maxey more minutes. See what he can do. But the kid was a 5 star recruit for a reason. Maxey is already a good free throw shooter which usually translate to good 3 point shooting. Plus maxey on rookie contract.

I mean, I'm all for optimism but, no, it's not the expected course for someone to shoot from 8ppg as a rookie to 25ppg two years later. That obviously almost never happens. And like 30 people are 5 star recruits every year, most of em don't come anywhere close to being decent NBA players, let alone scoring 25ppg.

I'm excited for this season and following Maxey's progression in it, just think it doesn't do anyone any good to not appreciate how difficult it is to be good in the NBA. It's a big achievement if Maxey becomes a solid score-first 7th man soon and he'll have to make real and sustained improvements to get there. To go beyond that will be very impressive and I want to be able to give him fair props if he does do it.

Tyrese Maxey's age 20 season was better than Collin Sexton's age 20 season on a per possession basis. The only reason Maxey didn't get huge minutes is because we are a title contender while the Cavs were total trash. It's not a stretch at all to think Maxey can be just as good as Sexton is now in a couple of years.

If Maxey got the green light on a terrible team like Sexton has, he could put up Sexton type numbers right now.

I don’t rate Sexton but even I know he’s a much better shooter then Maxey is.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#782 » by DCasey91 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:53 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I think the need for an actual PG can be eradicated as long as you're fielding guys that can dribble-pass-shoot at the 1-2-3.

Not for our team when our main piece isn’t a great passer/playmaker.

I mean every championship caliber team by my recollection had some serious PG, or floor general passing players on their list.

Maxey is definitely not that which I’m fine with.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#783 » by DCasey91 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:57 pm

76ciology wrote:Why can’t Maxey replace Jimmy’s role on our “run it back” squad?

Couldn’t Maxey replace Jimmy and Seth replace JJ?

I think we still need a bigger sample size to be certain but I say Maxey is capable of providing Jimmy’s production on our team in the future. Maybe this season, maybe next season?

Maxey will be a better shooter and PnR player than Jimmy.

Seth or Isaiah Joe has to replace JJ’s production.

Then Milton has to stop drinking plant based protein shake.

Surely you jest. Butler lives at the line, has defense and has playmaking chops. Not to mention a bucketload of exp.

Butler is massively underrated now to me he was and will always be the blue chip or the piece that puts us from a true contender to second rnd paper tiger fodder again.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,468

Post#784 » by elchengue20 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:54 am

Yeah, asking Maxey in his first years in the league to play at peak Jimmy Butler level is too much.

Lets calm down a bit with the expectations.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,403

Post#785 » by Eyeamok » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:50 pm

Saw an article where they did a redraft of the 2020-2021 draft. And Maxey turned out to be the 11th pick taken and Paul Reed went 19th. It's crazy with all these stats and computer simulated models, combines and measurements there is still a lot of guess work that goes into drafting a player and as Hinkie said luck.

No Chris Paul in OKC helping them overachieve, no Mike Muscala game winning shot, no NCAA tournament quite possibly Maxey does not fall to #21. Luck.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,395

Post#786 » by 76ciology » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:28 pm

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sodmoraes
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#787 » by sodmoraes » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:20 pm

It´s good Maxey is shooting off the dribble 3´s, but i want him to became first a decent 3 pt shooter on catch and shoot( maybe he will be already this year, i hope so). After he´s a reliable 3 point shooter, he can became an off the dribble menace :)
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
Dnt hate
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Post#788 » by Dnt hate » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:21 am

sodmoraes wrote:It´s good Maxey is shooting off the dribble 3´s, but i want him to became first a decent 3 pt shooter on catch and shoot( maybe he will be already this year, i hope so). After he´s a reliable 3 point shooter, he can became an off the dribble menace :)

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sixers-guard-tyrese-maxey-gym-155941942.html

On the way to greatness baby
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,693

Post#789 » by the_process » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:50 pm

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

That last move is the one that Luka and Harden use so effectively.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#790 » by sixers4real » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:24 am

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

Great NBA moves, all FIBA travels lol.
Love Maxey
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 724

Post#791 » by Lou_23 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:30 pm

Jason Dumas said that Rich Paul doesnt want Maxey in Philly lol
sodmoraes
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#792 » by sodmoraes » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:31 pm

https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2021/11/09/sixers-discuss-assess-young-tyrese-maxeys-growth-as-a-point-guard/

Good article about maxey. In 12 games , he´s averaging 16 ppg, 4.7 apg and 38,5% 3pt. He´s shooting 3s well, but with low volume, so let´s wait more games to see if his improvement is legit.

He´s not a true pg, but i´m seeing some improvement in his passes in the last few games. He´s a hard worker, so i think he can become an adequate passer in the future. Yesterday i saw him driving and dishing 2 times. If he can master that, i can see him averaging 6 apg in the future. He can average 20 ppg too, if we use him more( he defers too much in the starting lineup).

I may be be a big homer , but in the end of the season he can be almost as good as Fox if he keeps improving. In my opinion, he´s already the better shooter. Fox is a little bigger, and faster and better driver, but Maxey is a pretty a good slasher too. Fox is the better passer, but i think Tyrese can improve in this area, he has doc and cassel to help him out. If he keeps improving, i think we should try to trade Ben for a SF.
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,806

Post#793 » by mjkvol » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:12 pm

Maxey's future should be as a SG, and to me he would be a perfect instant offense 6th man type of player. What he has done so far is incredibly impressive given that his skill set isn't naturally that of a PG. I still believe the best move with Simmons is to get a real PG to run the offense and free Maxey up to do what he does best - create shots. His 3-pt shooting will continue to improve - the kid works his ass off and has the tools to score from all three levels.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
BigSleep333
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,632

Post#794 » by BigSleep333 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:34 am

to me, maxey is what fultz was supposed to be. hes a future cornerstone to me and hell no, dont **** add him in a trade to get rid of this lil bitch ass ben
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#795 » by Kolkmania » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:53 am

mjkvol wrote:Maxey's future should be as a SG, and to me he would be a perfect instant offense 6th man type of player. What he has done so far is incredibly impressive given that his skill set isn't naturally that of a PG. I still believe the best move with Simmons is to get a real PG to run the offense and free Maxey up to do what he does best - create shots. His 3-pt shooting will continue to improve - the kid works his ass off and has the tools to score from all three levels.

If defenders respect your shooting, the floor opens up for you and that makes playmaking so much easier. Doubt whether he will ever have the change in pace, combined with the ability to throw cross-court passes/pocket passes, but it's a skill that can gradually improve.

Let's not forget that Simmons has never played with a dynamic guard who could shoot off the dribble. I'm quite curious how Maxey would play alongside Simmons in let's say a Maxey - Korkmaz - Green - Simmons - Niang lineup. Space the floor and let Simmons set screens for Maxey.

It's a shame that it's very probable that we'll never use Simmons in his theoretically best role.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,895

Post#796 » by Wilfried » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:56 am

Kolkmania wrote:
It's a shame that it's very probable that we'll never use Simmons in his theoretically best role.

So his best role is setting screens?
BigSleep333
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,632

Post#797 » by BigSleep333 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:00 am

Wilfried wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

what else is he good at on offense? standing in the dunkerspot and finish unguarded fastbreaks. thats it
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#798 » by Kolkmania » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:51 am

Wilfried wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

Put pressure on the basket in space and create three point shots for others while defenses collapse. He's never been utilized (partly his own fault) as a playmaking roll man.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,806

Post#799 » by mjkvol » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:52 pm

Kolkmania wrote:
mjkvol wrote:Maxey's future should be as a SG, and to me he would be a perfect instant offense 6th man type of player. What he has done so far is incredibly impressive given that his skill set isn't naturally that of a PG. I still believe the best move with Simmons is to get a real PG to run the offense and free Maxey up to do what he does best - create shots. His 3-pt shooting will continue to improve - the kid works his ass off and has the tools to score from all three levels.

If defenders respect your shooting, the floor opens up for you and that makes playmaking so much easier. Doubt whether he will ever have the change in pace, combined with the ability to throw cross-court passes/pocket passes, but it's a skill that can gradually improve.

Let's not forget that Simmons has never played with a dynamic guard who could shoot off the dribble. I'm quite curious how Maxey would play alongside Simmons in let's say a Maxey - Korkmaz - Green - Simmons - Niang lineup. Space the floor and let Simmons set screens for Maxey.

Not only his best role, but in all likelihood the best chance he'll ever have to win, if that means anything to him. I'd love to see that lineup - I wonder if Doc would have the vision to use Simmons primarily in spots like that and keep him away from lineups with both Embiid and Harris where the offense grinds to a halt.

In his stupid stubbornness, Simmons has no clue that the best place for him is probably right here, and the really annoying part is that with the roster as it is now, it's unlikely any trade would improve us more than him returning, even if the only change was being a confident 70% FT shooter. Move Harris for another shooter and this would be a championship favorite.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#800 » by freshie2 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:06 pm

Once Simmons sets the screen, does he roll where he may get fouled and have to go to the line, or does he pop for the open jumper? Today’s game is basically position less but if you can’t do the fundamentals you really are out of place anywhere on offense.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers