Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

[Woj] Grizzlies Trade Beverly For Culver and Hernangomez 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:40 am

Read on Twitter

Grizzlies with another move as PG Patrick Beverly stay with Memphis was well short. He moves on to the Timberwolves for SG Jarrett Culver and SF/PF Juancho Hernangomez.

Beverly gives the Wolves defense, catch and shoot prowess, a pitbull mentality albeit a detrimental part of his personality.

To whom the Grizzlies get back, my questions comes from the offensive production side. I get that Culver is two years into his career. He already came into the league with issues concerning his offense. Between the injuries and the pandemic, his development didn't go well as planned. Here with the Grizzlies, he gets a fresh start and maybe a new sense of confidence to develop into a player he desires to become. Personally, I'm not all convince Culver will be anything more than a decnet role player at best if he's lucky. As for Hernangomez, he's been around for a few short years. He's a stretch 3/4 player who's offensive production is up and down at times. Unless some better results are coming that I'm not seeing, I can't see how these two players help towards the offensive production for the Grizzlies.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Re: [Woj] Grizzlies Trade Beverly For Culver and Hernangomez 

Post#2 » by E S V L » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:22 pm

I have high hopes for Jarret mostly because I like Cinderella stories in sport. Good luck and welcome!
He resembles Kyle in many respects.
FK NFL
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#3 » by jman3134 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:48 pm

While I would have preferred acquiring some draft picks in the coming years, I approve of this move as a dart throw. While this stat always requires context, Jarrett's RPM (regularized plus minus) was well below league average and I think the eye test supports this from the film I've seen. Now, why is that? Well, that is where I think it is important to dig in. He shot an abysmal 24.5% from 3 pt range a season ago and under 50% at the line in his first year (60% last year). Having watched him a bit at Texas Tech, his three point shooting has never been exceptional and neither has his FT shooting. However, he is a much better shooter than 60% at the line. Most of this - I believe - is the mental side of player development. If we can bring in a sports psychologist to work with him and make him feel comfortable with a certain amount of playing time to showcase his development, he may be able to turn his sinking career around ala Josh Jackson. I see this as a Justice Winslow/Josh Jackson dart throw move. Culver is a really good guy and is a culture fit. If we just fill our staff with shooting coaches to work with JJJ, Ziaire and Jarrett, we could have a nice roster in a few years. His development here will entirely depend on how much we play him and how good our player development coaches are.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#4 » by SD2042 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:27 pm

jman3134 wrote:While I would have preferred acquiring some draft picks in the coming years, I approve of this move as a dart throw. While this stat always requires context, Jarrett's RPM (regularized plus minus) was well below league average and I think the eye test supports this from the film I've seen. Now, why is that? Well, that is where I think it is important to dig in. He shot an abysmal 24.5% from 3 pt range a season ago and under 50% at the line in his first year (60% last year). Having watched him a bit at Texas Tech, his three point shooting has never been exceptional and neither has his FT shooting. However, he is a much better shooter than 60% at the line. Most of this - I believe - is the mental side of player development. If we can bring in a sports psychologist to work with him and make him feel comfortable with a certain amount of playing time to showcase his development, he may be able to turn his sinking career around ala Josh Jackson. I see this as a Justice Winslow/Josh Jackson dart throw move. Culver is a really good guy and is a culture fit. If we just fill our staff with shooting coaches to work with JJJ, Ziaire and Jarrett, we could have a nice roster in a few years. His development here will entirely depend on how much we play him and how good our player development coaches are.

When you say the sports psychologist in the statement, this remind me of how former SG Nick Anderson needed one to get with after loosing his confidence when he missed key free throws in the 1995 NBA Finals against the Houston Rockets at the time. I wonder if such a sit down with a sports psychologist will truly help Culver in the long term.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#5 » by VCfor3 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:27 pm

Think we have more moves coming or will just waive people to get the roster in check? I'm guessing we move one or two of the guys we would otherwise cut for a top 55 protected 2nd. Maybe we send some cash
E S V L
Analyst

Post#6 » by E S V L » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:03 pm

VCfor3 wrote:Think we have more moves coming or will just waive people to get the roster in check? I'm guessing we move one or two of the guys we would otherwise cut for a top 55 protected 2nd. Maybe we send some cash

What is our 15 man roster at this time?

Ja - Tyus
Brooks - Melton - Culver
ZW - Bane - Konchar
Kyle - Clarke - Juancho - Aldama
JJJ - Adams - Tillman - Oturu

One is redundant. Who?
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#7 » by VCfor3 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:20 pm

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Think we have more moves coming or will just waive people to get the roster in check? I'm guessing we move one or two of the guys we would otherwise cut for a top 55 protected 2nd. Maybe we send some cash

Ja - Tyus
Brooks - Melton - Culver
ZW - Bane - Konchar

One is redundant. Who?

I think Oturu is the odd man out there. I also think Bane, Melton, or Adams starts every game instead of ZW. I only see him coming off the bench after a little bit of time in the g league to start the season. But if we keep Oturu then I would guess Juancho is gone.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#8 » by E S V L » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:21 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

Ja - Tyus
Brooks - Melton - Culver
ZW - Bane - Konchar

One is redundant. Who?

I think Oturu is the odd man out there. I also think Bane, Melton, or Adams starts every game instead of ZW. I only see him coming off the bench after a little bit of time in the g league to start the season. But if we keep Oturu then I would guess Juancho is gone.

Makes sense.

Re ZW, he needs to play a lot regardless of his readiness if we want him to reach his potential. So my bet is that he will start.

Re who is redundant, let me go crazy and predict that FO will trade either Kyle or Clarke.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#9 » by VCfor3 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:42 pm

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

Ja - Tyus
Brooks - Melton - Culver
ZW - Bane - Konchar

One is redundant. Who?

Makes sense.

Re ZW, he needs to play a lot regardless of his readiness if we want him to reach his potential. So my bet is that he will start.

Re who is redundant, let me go crazy and predict that FO will trade either Kyle or Clarke.

Now that is a spicy take haha.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies