ImageImageImageImage

poll: Jānis Timma

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Jānis Timma will be signed to ....

.... nothing.
46%
.... a two-way contract.
24%
.... a regular contract as a single-year LLE deal.
26%
.... a more substantial regular contract.
4%

Total votes: 54

JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Re: poll: Jānis Timma 

Post#21 » by JBSouthpaw » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:18 pm

would have been a better signing last off-season.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#22 » by Skin » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:35 pm

drsd wrote:
Skin wrote:Want him more than Cole Anthony. Plays hard, plays unselfish, and is a big body enforcer that we lack.

I understood why Anthony was selected when he was, but now that the team has Hampton and Suggs, I would be very happy with a "draft reset" where he was traded for someone like Saddiq Bey. Such a trade balances the roster, and provides roster support for Detroit.

Add Timma on a 2W, and the Magic is:

Suggs/Carter-Williams/Fultz(IR)
Harris/Hampton/Brazdeikis(TW)
Isaac/Ross/Wagner-F/Timma(TW)
Okeke/Bey/Wagner-M
Carter/Bamba/Lopez

That roster is more balanced and is an interesting core for an attempt to have a competitive 2022/23 team assembled.

Suggs/Hampton
Fultz/Ross
Isaac/Wagner-F
Okeke/Bey/Wagner-M
Carter/Bamba

Plus a probable mid-lottery rookie - with a perhaps further developed Brazdeikis and team mascot Timma; I like that 2022/23 team!

Draft regrets on Cole is already a thing. Not surprising. Bey would've been a nice option even if I wasn't one of his biggest fans in the draft (mainly due to his age). Still sux that Nesmith went one pick ahead in typical Magic fashion. Personally, I wanted Jaden McDaniels... who now if you went to the Wolves forum and discussed trade talk for him, they consider him nearly untouchable. Predraft, I asked them if they would do McDaniels for our #8 pick and it was a firm no.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#23 » by drsd » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:25 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:would have been a better signing last off-season.

He was under contract and unavailable.

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,588

Post#24 » by Skybox » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:33 am

Skin wrote:
drsd wrote:
Skin wrote:Want him more than Cole Anthony. Plays hard, plays unselfish, and is a big body enforcer that we lack.

I understood why Anthony was selected when he was, but now that the team has Hampton and Suggs, I would be very happy with a "draft reset" where he was traded for someone like Saddiq Bey. Such a trade balances the roster, and provides roster support for Detroit.

Add Timma on a 2W, and the Magic is:

Suggs/Carter-Williams/Fultz(IR)
Harris/Hampton/Brazdeikis(TW)
Isaac/Ross/Wagner-F/Timma(TW)
Okeke/Bey/Wagner-M
Carter/Bamba/Lopez

That roster is more balanced and is an interesting core for an attempt to have a competitive 2022/23 team assembled.

Suggs/Hampton
Fultz/Ross
Isaac/Wagner-F
Okeke/Bey/Wagner-M
Carter/Bamba

Plus a probable mid-lottery rookie - with a perhaps further developed Brazdeikis and team mascot Timma; I like that 2022/23 team!

Draft regrets on Cole is already a thing. Not surprising. Bey would've been a nice option even if I wasn't one of his biggest fans in the draft (mainly due to his age). Still sux that Nesmith went one pick ahead in typical Magic fashion. Personally, I wanted Jaden McDaniels... who now if you went to the Wolves forum and discussed trade talk for him, they consider him nearly untouchable. Predraft, I asked them if they would do McDaniels for our #8 pick and it was a firm no.

That MIN board is a bit rough...they want to consider KAT, Edwards, Russell, McDaniels "untouchable" but want to build a Simmons trade around Beasley :lol:

I like Cole, but given our roster, I'd be thrilled to get a "Bey-type" or Nesmith, Vassell, or Kispert for him. Perhaps we could add the DEN pick (although that could end up being a BIG chip if they implode)...Just need a bigger body who can truly shoot and defend and isn't over 25-ish.

I don't mind Timma holding that spot for now on a make-good deal.
drsd
RealGM

Post#25 » by drsd » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:15 pm

Skybox wrote:I like Cole, but given our roster, I'd be thrilled to get a "Bey-type" or Nesmith, Vassell, or Kispert for him. Perhaps we could add the DEN pick (although that could end up being a BIG chip if they implode)...Just need a bigger body who can truly shoot and defend and isn't over 25-ish.

I also take the view that this is not a vacuum decision. When the Magic drafted Anthony, he was in their mind BPA. Since then two other PGs have been brought in. That changes his role on this team.

I do not think that management is looking to trade him. But they know better than we that the roster has five players that have played significant PG minutes. Something has to change. If Anthony is not traded, then beyond Carter-Williams moving on via trade or not being resigned, there will be movement.

I don't mind Timma holding that spot for now on a make-good deal.

Timma will be like Harris, Lopez and Carter-Williams: roster-slot holders till the 2022 off-season. That's fine. Note: Brazdeikis has a qualifying offer that effects the Magic cap. He might need to be renounced in the off-season if that 1.5M is needed in a FA deal.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst

Post#26 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:11 pm

drsd wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:would have been a better signing last off-season.

He was under contract and unavailable.

I was talking more about fit. He at 29 doesn't fit this roster. Would have been better for the start of last year's roster.
drsd
RealGM

Post#27 » by drsd » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:06 am

JBSouthpaw wrote:I was talking more about fit. He at 29 doesn't fit this roster. Would have been better for the start of last year's roster.

I am not so sure. As 10 Magicians look to be 23 or younger, any maturity on the roster must be a net-positive. For Timma, the question is what he would offer. He does not know the NBA grind or training regime. He understands poorly American culture. What he offers is "how to claw in to an NBA roster slot".

But if maturity per se is the goal, then a Jared Dudley, Denzel Valentine, or Noah Vonleh makes sense for the final roster slot.

Or keep it simple: resign Donta Hall on a 2W deal and all it a finished Summer.

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Post#28 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:18 pm

I think the 14th roster spot is going to Moritz and Timma is not a two- way contract player. Orlando would want to keep the last roster spot open anyway.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
JBSouthpaw
Analyst

Post#29 » by JBSouthpaw » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:11 pm

drsd wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:I was talking more about fit. He at 29 doesn't fit this roster. Would have been better for the start of last year's roster.

I am not so sure. As 10 Magicians look to be 23 or younger, any maturity on the roster must be a net-positive. For Timma, the question is what he would offer. He does not know the NBA grind or training regime. He understands poorly American culture. What he offers is "how to claw in to an NBA roster slot".

But if maturity per se is the goal, then a Jared Dudley, Denzel Valentine, or Noah Vonleh makes sense for the final roster slot.

Or keep it simple: resign Donta Hall on a 2W deal and all it a finished Summer.

Your 2nd and 3rd sentences is why he isn't a good fit.
I like your list of alt players
drsd
RealGM

Post#30 » by drsd » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:29 am

With Carter-Williams out, Timma's path to the Magic is more clear. Here's an interesting video on him:

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#31 » by Knightro » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:48 pm

drsd wrote:With Carter-Williams out, Timma's path to the Magic is more clear.

More clear as in more likely to not happen? Because the two things - MCW's injury and Timma's potential signing - seem completely disconnected from each other.

When healthy, MCW could function as a third-string point guard, Timma cannot.

When healthy, MCW can provide quality defensive depth against wings. Timma cannot.

So it's not like signing Timma would replace anything the Magic expected MCW to bring to the table in a reserve role.

But really beyond that, MCW hasn't been ruled out for the season either, so the Magic will not be able to get a disabled player exception for him because theoretically his injury is not a season ender. At least not yet.
drsd
RealGM

Post#32 » by drsd » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:59 pm

Knightro wrote:More clear as in more likely to not happen? Because the two things - MCW's injury and Timma's potential signing - seem completely disconnected from each other.

When healthy, MCW could function as a third-string point guard, Timma cannot.

When healthy, MCW can provide quality defensive depth against wings. Timma cannot.

So it's not like signing Timma would replace anything the Magic expected MCW to bring to the table in a reserve role.

But really beyond that, MCW hasn't been ruled out for the season either, so the Magic will not be able to get a disabled player exception for him because theoretically his injury is not a season ender. At least not yet.

Orlando might be more in need of a 3rd-string SF. Specifically the minutes Carter-Williams got late last season.

drsd
RealGM

Post#33 » by drsd » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:01 pm

Somebody needs to make a Thugs life meme out of Timma's new look.

Return to Orlando Magic