Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Re: More Free Agent Talk 

Post#421 » by FNQ » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:24 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
shazam_guy wrote:So the vet minimum for one guy would cost what Kawhi's getting for a yearly salary. Kind of puts it in perspective.

Meanwhile, I'd have no problem with Exum. I'd love to see him salvage his potential, especially here.

Not the vet minimum, which is roughly $1.5-$2.5M in salary to the player. That probably costs about $15M overall to the team at this point.

The quote was about the taxpayer MLE, which is $5.9M in salary. That’s what would become about $47M, apparently.

I think minimum contracts have some rule for taxes as well. Now this is more tribal knowledge and its from nearly a decade ago, so who knows if it still counts. But I seem to remember that min contracts didnt count against the tax more than the rookie minimum
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#422 » by FNQ » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:28 pm

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q18

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q22

Hard to say.. there's a lot of reading/understanding to be done there but I dont care enough to work it out, **** lacob's wallet
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#423 » by ChuckDurn » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:30 pm

FNQ wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:
shazam_guy wrote:So the vet minimum for one guy would cost what Kawhi's getting for a yearly salary. Kind of puts it in perspective.

Meanwhile, I'd have no problem with Exum. I'd love to see him salvage his potential, especially here.

Not the vet minimum, which is roughly $1.5-$2.5M in salary to the player. That probably costs about $15M overall to the team at this point.

The quote was about the taxpayer MLE, which is $5.9M in salary. That’s what would become about $47M, apparently.

I think minimum contracts have some rule for taxes as well. Now this is more tribal knowledge and its from nearly a decade ago, so who knows if it still counts. But I seem to remember that min contracts didnt count against the tax more than the rookie minimum

This came up with Iguodala’s deal, and you’re right. A vet minimum’s contract is taxed, but only at the amount of a rookie minimum deal. Despite Iguodala’s minimum being something like $2.5M, only about $1.5M is counted against the cap and for tax purposes. If they had ended up having to pay Iguodala above the minimum (even, say, only $3.0M), then the entire salary would have counted against the cap and tax, which would have made the total cost for him something like another $10M, even though he would have only been making $0.5MM more.

You’re right. Vet mins are probably more like $8-10M more cost to ownership at our current tax rate, rather than the $15M I’d been thinking for more experienced veterans who have a higher minimum salary.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,276

Post#424 » by killmongrel » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:50 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
FNQ wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:Not the vet minimum, which is roughly $1.5-$2.5M in salary to the player. That probably costs about $15M overall to the team at this point.

This came up with Iguodala’s deal, and you’re right. A vet minimum’s contract is taxed, but only at the amount of a rookie minimum deal. Despite Iguodala’s minimum being something like $2.5M, only about $1.5M is counted against the cap and for tax purposes. If they had ended up having to pay Iguodala above the minimum (even, say, only $3.0M), then the entire salary would have counted against the cap and tax, which would have made the total cost for him something like another $10M, even though he would have only been making $0.5MM more.

You’re right. Vet mins are probably more like $8-10M more cost to ownership at our current tax rate, rather than the $15M I’d been thinking for more experienced veterans who have a higher minimum salary.
Yeah, I read that a long time ago and realized why vet minimums are even more desirable to teams who pay luxury taxes.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#425 » by Coxy » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:03 pm

Exum would take the Vet minimum here. He'd be in a great situation with a defined Livingston type role to earn himself a bigger payday going forward. He'd be perfect here. After watching his Olympics, I'm shocked another team hasn't given him a deal. He'd learn so much under Iguodala's tutelage.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,181

Post#426 » by xdrta+ » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:10 pm

FNQ wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:

Actually, the second year minimum, the same amount that the team pays, no matter how much experience the player has. The league pays the rest which means, in theory at least, that teams won't dump older players in favor of younger, cheaper players. But teams pay tax only on the 2 yr minimum, this year about $1.67M.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,138

Post#427 » by Impuniti » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:47 pm

Exum on a vet deal would be too good to be true.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#428 » by cdubbz » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:56 am

why hasn't GPII not been signed before?
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,696

Post#429 » by whatisacenter » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:37 pm

not a shock and a decent player for the price.
The Golden State Warriors will not release Damion Lee before his contract becomes guaranteed at $500,000 on Sunday.

Bob Myers will likely leave the 15th vacancy for a training camp battle to include Michael Mulder, Gary Payton II and others.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/263859/Warriors-To-Retain-Damion-Lee-With-Contract-Becoming-Guaranteed-At-$500k
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#430 » by FNQ » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:38 pm

whatisacenter wrote:not a shock and a decent player for the price.
The Golden State Warriors will not release Damion Lee before his contract becomes guaranteed at $500,000 on Sunday.

Bob Myers will likely leave the 15th vacancy for a training camp battle to include Michael Mulder, Gary Payton II and others.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/263859/Warriors-To-Retain-Damion-Lee-With-Contract-Becoming-Guaranteed-At-$500k

Not a fan of 28 year old 3rd stringers but he's definitely part of the right family
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#431 » by FNQ » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:39 pm

cdubbz wrote:why hasn't GPII not been signed before?

PG size but cant play PG, his shot is questionable, and he's a much better on-ball defender than off-ball. Basically a broke man's Pat Beverly
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,535

Post#432 » by righterwriter » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:30 am

FNQ wrote:
cdubbz wrote:why hasn't GPII not been signed before?

PG size but cant play PG, his shot is questionable, and he's a much better on-ball defender than off-ball. Basically a broke man's Pat Beverly

I'd like to see us pick up Beverley somehow. I'm sure he and Grizz are happy to see a mutual departure. They'd just have to do a reasonable buyout for both sides.

The Grizz can buy him out for $7M (also freeing up $7M in space for them). We then give him a 1 year TPMLE deal at $6M.

Pat loses a little bit this year, but gets more notoriety playing a somewhat prominent role on a higher profile, contending team like Golden State. That helps his FA standing next year. We get a veteran guard who plays hard defense against lead guards, has been in many big playoff games, and can hit an open three. Win-win.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,045

Post#433 » by The-Power » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:16 pm

righterwriter wrote:I'd like to see us pick up Beverley somehow.

So glad this didn't happen.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#434 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:31 pm

The-Power wrote:
righterwriter wrote:I'd like to see us pick up Beverley somehow.

So glad this didn't happen.

I'd much rather add Rondo on a vet min if he becomes available. But I wouldn't be surprised if he chose LA over the Warriors (though I think he'd love being on a team with Steph, Dray, and Iguodala).
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#435 » by donkeylips » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:09 pm

id love to add rondo. with klay, moody and belly, we have more shooters to offset our non shooters.
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#436 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:27 pm

donkeylips wrote:id love to add rondo. with klay, moody and belly, we have more shooters to offset our non shooters.

And Rondo's shooting with the Clippers was actually good.
osx28
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#437 » by osx28 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:52 am

So growing rumor that Nets and Warriors have interest in Millsap. Let KD have him, I'd rather we keep the roster spot open for a possible Rondo buyout. Millsap is ok, bur Rondo would make the second unit elite.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,181

Post#438 » by xdrta+ » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:09 am

osx28 wrote:So growing rumor that Nets and Warriors have interest in Millsap. Let KD have him, I'd rather we keep the roster spot open for a possible Rondo buyout. Millsap is ok, bur Rondo would make the second unit elite.

The Warriors might take Millsap on a minimum, but they're not going to give him the tpmle, like the rumor says he wants. With tax it would be $47M. No way.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#439 » by HiRez » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:57 pm

It sucks because Millsap was always a guy I wanted on the Warriors. There were specifically 3 guys I had in mind way back: Bogut, Iguodala, and Millsap. Miraculously 2 of those happened, and obviously paid off big time. Now Millsap is past is prime (and as noted above, very expensive which isn't his fault for the tax part of it) but he is the kind of savvy vet we could use.
S-Gorilla86
Freshman
And1: 57

Post#440 » by S-Gorilla86 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:27 pm

I agree, I would have been stoked if we signed Millsap at the beginning of FA, but with the signings we made there just isn't much room at the 4/5 spots. At this point our biggest need is a playmaking backup PG, but besides for a Rondo buyout that player just isn't out there.

Interesting to see the Nets involved since they can only offer the min and there also isn't much room for him, but the appeal of an "easy" ring is there.

I'm curious, would people prefer Millsap over Bjelica or Porter Jr for the min? And I'm not including Iguodala in that question because I'm so happy he's back!

Return to Golden State Warriors