ImageImageImage

Welcome to Virtual Boston, Yam Madar!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Re: Welcome to Virtual Boston, Yam Madar! 

Post#501 » by Spin Move » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:13 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Spin Move wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:The Cost-Analysis is a good question, for Madar. -- The road to Begarin, is much less complicated.
It will be interesting to see which one gets here, at least on a Two-Way.

To bring in a star we are going t basically have to clean house next offseason, at most 1 of Smart or R williams wil be here, decent chance horford gets traded along with a 1st (this will have to happen if we re-up smart) Richardson is expiring, the only players not on rookie contracts for next season currently are Tatum Brown and Horford, if we use another 1st to move horford then we will really be needing bodies the next few years it makes alot more sense to keep them both oversees and keep team control going forward so when they are a little older they can be useful players for more of their contracts.

We are a star player short of being a contender and every doller is going count next offseason.

My question is this. In terms of starting the clock and getting closer to free agency, how does that work with a 2-way contract? Cause 2-way contract is different than a rookie deal, right? Regardless of whether it's Begarin or Madar, could we theoretically give 1 of them a 2-way contract for 2021-2022, then give them a rookie contract next summer and start the clock on their rookie deal in the 2022-2023 season? If the answer is no, I think it's absolutely best to keep both of them overseas for another year. They're both a year away from being good contributors off the bench on a playoff team so mine as well wait a year and start the clock next year.

Unless a 2-way contract doesn't "start the clock" because for 1 of them at least, being on a 2-way might be better for their development than going back overseas..

A 2 way is in place of a normal rookie contract generally a 2 year non gaurenteed deal
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,211

Post#502 » by Parliament10 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:24 pm

Spin Move wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Spin Move wrote:
To bring in a star we are going t basically have to clean house next offseason, at most 1 of Smart or R williams wil be here, decent chance horford gets traded along with a 1st (this will have to happen if we re-up smart) Richardson is expiring, the only players not on rookie contracts for next season currently are Tatum Brown and Horford, if we use another 1st to move horford then we will really be needing bodies the next few years it makes alot more sense to keep them both oversees and keep team control going forward so when they are a little older they can be useful players for more of their contracts.

We are a star player short of being a contender and every doller is going count next offseason.

My question is this. In terms of starting the clock and getting closer to free agency, how does that work with a 2-way contract? Cause 2-way contract is different than a rookie deal, right? Regardless of whether it's Begarin or Madar, could we theoretically give 1 of them a 2-way contract for 2021-2022, then give them a rookie contract next summer and start the clock on their rookie deal in the 2022-2023 season? If the answer is no, I think it's absolutely best to keep both of them overseas for another year. They're both a year away from being good contributors off the bench on a playoff team so mine as well wait a year and start the clock next year.

Unless a 2-way contract doesn't "start the clock" because for 1 of them at least, being on a 2-way might be better for their development than going back overseas..

A 2 way is in place of a normal rookie contract generally a 2 year non gaurenteed deal

Yeah. It's some small amount, before the Clock starts running. Like 9 games, or a certain number of hours.
For the most part, they are basically on a Quasi-first year.

Ie.: Waters & Fall will be 3rd year players, if they get an NBA contract this year.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,007

Post#503 » by Hal14 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:31 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Spin Move wrote:
Hal14 wrote:My question is this. In terms of starting the clock and getting closer to free agency, how does that work with a 2-way contract? Cause 2-way contract is different than a rookie deal, right? Regardless of whether it's Begarin or Madar, could we theoretically give 1 of them a 2-way contract for 2021-2022, then give them a rookie contract next summer and start the clock on their rookie deal in the 2022-2023 season? If the answer is no, I think it's absolutely best to keep both of them overseas for another year. They're both a year away from being good contributors off the bench on a playoff team so mine as well wait a year and start the clock next year.

Yeah. It's some small amount, before the Clock starts running. Like 9 games, or a certain number of hours.

Ie.: Waters & Fall will be 3rd year players, if they get an NBA contract this year.

In that case there's no question IMO. Send both Begarin and Madar back overseas for another year.

I suppose the only downside is that we might have too many rookies on the squad next yr (Madar, Begarin, 2022 1st round pick, 2022 2nd round pick). Unless we make our draft picks next year stashes..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#504 » by Spin Move » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:31 pm

After Tatum, Brown and a 3rd star at 35 million, We are left with 27 million of space for next season if we waive horford, 34 if we waive and stretch him, 41 million if we trade him or no cap space if we keep him (not plausible without other moves).
Every player below is on a team option or due for a QO next season (robert williams)
Romeo Langford $5,634,257
Robert Williams QO $5,430,710
Aaron Nesmith $3,804,360
Grant Williams $4,306,281
Payton Pritchard $2,239,200

Maintaining all of them at those numbers would be around 20 million so some might not be coming back (RWiliams may price himself out) other mays be traded or cut.

If smart gets extended there is even less money. I assume Dunn and edwards will be moved before the start of this season but we are going to need some very small conracts next year.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#505 » by Parliament10 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:39 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Spin Move wrote:

In that case there's no question IMO. Send both Begarin and Madar back overseas for another year.

I suppose the only downside is that we might have too many rookies on the squad next yr (Madar, Begarin, 2022 1st round pick, 2022 2nd round pick). Unless we make our draft picks next year stashes..

Well, we started with 7 Rookies, a couple of years ago (including the Two-Ways).
I'd like to see Begarin on a Two-Way this year. Madar though, IDK if he can cut it.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#506 » by Parliament10 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:43 pm

Spin Move wrote:After Tatum, Brown and a 3rd star at 35 million, We are left with 27 million of space for next season if we waive horford, 34 if we waive and stretch him, 41 million if we trade him or no cap space if we keep him (not plausible without other moves).
Every player below is on a team option or due for a QO next season (robert williams)
Romeo Langford $5,634,257
Robert Williams QO $5,430,710
Aaron Nesmith $3,804,360
Grant Williams $4,306,281
Payton Pritchard $2,239,200

Maintaining all of them at those numbers would be around 20 million so some might not be coming back (RWiliams may price himself out) other mays be traded or cut.

If smart gets extended there is even less money. I assume Dunn and edwards will be moved before the start of this season but we are going to need some very small conracts next year.

Yeah, it's real tight. I think that we go over next season.
We'll have to do something about Horford's contract.

Though, I'm up for extending who we have, and Not getting a 3rd Star. Just perhaps, some Quality mid-level guys.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#507 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:28 pm

Well, with Pritchard not playing, tonight is going to be put up or shut up time for Mr. Madar. I'm rooting for him.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#508 » by Parliament10 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:29 pm

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 5,497

Post#509 » by lon3lytoaster » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:37 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

So did he basically ghost his Israeli team? I know the courts over there ruled he still had one year left on his contract.
Garbanzo
Junior
And1: 398

Post#510 » by Garbanzo » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:57 pm

lon3lytoaster wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

So did he basically ghost his Israeli team? I know the courts over there ruled he still had one year left on his contract.

250k compensation fee to Hapoel.
He is going to play under Zeliko Obradovic, one of the greatest of all time in Europe.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#511 » by ParticleMan » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:45 pm

Cool, this is great news. We'll get to see if he can put up the same numbers in a much better league. He can stay over there until he's ready.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,120

Post#512 » by Half-Full » Wed Sep 8, 2021 7:00 pm

Picking up right where he left off. Impressive game for Yam!

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,007

Post#513 » by Hal14 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 7:13 pm

Half-Full wrote:Picking up right where he left off. Impressive game for Yam!

Hell yeah. 11 points, 11 rebounds and 7 assists for Madar.

Madar proving those doubters wrong who said he's too small. If he's too small, how'd he get 11 rebounds? It does look like there's less size on the court in this footage than a typical NBA game though, to be fair.

Love how the ball is zipping around the court on that possession at :52
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#514 » by Justin33 » Thu Sep 9, 2021 10:40 pm

Love the step up in comp
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#515 » by Justin33 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:23 pm

Good game
;ab_channel=TomaszKordylewski
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,120

Post#516 » by Half-Full » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:38 pm

Justin33 wrote:Good game

Love it! We should draft this Madar guy! :wink: Really, it's exciting to see him play this well at a higher level. While I had hoped for him to stay with the Celtics, given the addition of Dennis Schroder, he wouldn't be seeing the playing time he will be getting with Partizan. From a development point of view, playing in Europe will be the best thing for his game. Excited to see him next year.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#517 » by djFan71 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:14 am

Half-Full wrote:

Love it! We should draft this Madar guy! :wink: Really, it's exciting to see him play this well at a higher level. While I had hoped for him to stay with the Celtics, given the addition of Dennis Schroder, he wouldn't be seeing the playing time he will be getting with Partizan. From a development point of view, playing in Europe will be the best thing for his game. Excited to see him next year.

Looks like he's playing with GSW and G-League legend Allen Smailagic!
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,757

Post#518 » by SuperDeluxe » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:04 am

djFan71 wrote:
Half-Full wrote:

Looks like he's playing with GSW and G-League legend Allen Smailagic!

And Rodions Kurucs, of Brooklyn Nets fame.
arusinov
Sophomore
And1: 250

Post#519 » by arusinov » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:02 am

\While this is pre-season game so not everything works same when the real thing happens there're several things about the competition and role of Madar which should be mentioned:

Monaco is the last year EuroCup winner, and as such will participate this year in Euroleague. They also finished last year 3rd , and won 2019-20 season in the relativity strong French LNB Pro A league.

Madar started at PG as in several last pre-season games, and the starting job seems to be in his hands, he played 35 min (out of 55 as it was 3 OT game), scored several clutch 3pt shots... but had a bit too much TOs (7 ast, 5 to) but he also played good defense and got 3 steals. It seems that the coach (Zelko Obradovich which is widely considered the best coach in European basketball now and even maybe ever) is quite fond of Madar's game (at least once I've seen him patting Madar on shoulder which is kind of big deal in case of Obradovich which is very tough with players comparing to NBA coaches)
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,966

Post#520 » by cl2117 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:55 pm

Love the draft and stash concept. All picks in the 40's/50's are lottery tickets, you might as well take a kid with talent that can be stashed rather than a 5th year senior without any ceiling. We're really lucky to be able to keep Yam on ice for 2 years and then still pick him up for his rookie deal. Gotta imagine his draft profile would be much different if he were entering next year instead of 2020.

Schroder falls right into our laps on an absolute bargain, but is clearly a 1 year rental. Pritchard gets the opportunity to cement his role as a backup G and Yam can come over next year to fill the 3rd guard role. Perfect out come to the post Kemba PG question.

Love Yam's craftiness and aggressiveness. With the talent the C's will have on the perimeter they could really use a ball hander who can get into the paint and kick from there. I always forget how big he is as well. Bodes well for his defensive potential. Looking like a legit NBA prospect.

Second rounders in the range where Yam was taken can basically be purchased annually. I'd love for the C's to just add that into their budget and take a punt every year. Constant pipeline of overseas talent. You'd just need to hit on one to make it all worthwhile.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.

Return to Boston Celtics