ImageImageImage

How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,338

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#41 » by Mavrelous » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:12 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:How much would Lauri move the needle though?

Offensively a lot more than has been seen so far. He's played all of his career without a competent PG. At best unstoppable, he really can score in many ways; deep, mid range, poster dunks.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Is that the Bulls anouncer? We may have found a bigger homer than Charlotte's one :rofl: :rofl:
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,981

Post#42 » by Apz » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:15 pm

So the issue i got is that unless he comes cheap its not really worth it. I cant see him starting over kleber because it would unbalance the team defensively, so he wont get promised to start
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#43 » by FranchisePlayer » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:23 pm

KhalilS wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

Offensively a lot more than has been seen so far. He's played all of his career without a competent PG. At best unstoppable, he really can score in many ways; deep, mid range, poster dunks.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Is that the Bulls anouncer? We may have found a bigger homer than Charlotte's one :rofl: :rofl:

Yes. And those two are followed by a legion of homer announcers... :lol:

Anyways, who cares about announcers anyhow. They're paid to be entertaining, not proficient.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#44 » by FranchisePlayer » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:24 pm

Apz wrote:So the issue i got is that unless he comes cheap its not really worth it. I cant see him starting over kleber because it would unbalance the team defensively, so he wont get promised to start

But the latest rumor is Markkanen for Kleber?
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,338

Post#45 » by Mavrelous » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:32 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:
Yes. And those two are followed by a legion of homer announcers... :lol:

Anyways, who cares about announcers anyhow. They're paid to be entertaining, not proficient.

Oh no, I love his passion, I do love an enthusiastic announcer, it is entertainment after all.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,796

Post#46 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:18 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:

Thank you man.

In my life I never thought I'd read users who have doubt to trade Kleber for Markaneen. Incredible.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#47 » by arkuo » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:35 pm

This is simple. Lauri's base is Kleber's ceiling.

You do that trade 10 times out of 10 if it only costs Maxi Kleber. Are you kidding me?
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#48 » by Pinkyring » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:13 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

Thank you man.

In my life I never thought I'd read users who have doubt to trade Kleber for Markaneen. Incredible.

There's a love affair for maxi and dfs on this board that's unexplainable, they're backup try hards who should be playing 20 minutes a night max yet people on here act like they're untouchable. Kleber has been trash the last year, the last 4 playoffs games he scored 4 points and they were all in the same game. I'd drive him to Chicago myself
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#49 » by ejs78 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:11 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/08/central-notes-markkanen-diallo-mobley-stevens.html

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#50 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:43 am

FranchisePlayer wrote:

Yeah, playing with Luka would help, but it could also relegate him to a spot-up shooter role.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#51 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:44 am

arkuo wrote:This is simple. Lauri's base is Kleber's ceiling.

You do that trade 10 times out of 10 if it only costs Maxi Kleber. Are you kidding me?

Yeah, but I think it hurts the Mavs in the short-run, but you can teach Lauri, Brunson, Luka, and KP all how to play defense. That's a solid young core.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#52 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:46 am

Pinkyring wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

Thank you man.

There's a love affair for maxi and dfs on this board that's unexplainable, they're backup try hards who should be playing 20 minutes a night max yet people on here act like they're untouchable. Kleber has been trash the last year, the last 4 playoffs games he scored 4 points and they were all in the same game. I'd drive him to Chicago myself

They play defense and give good energy. You need guys like that. DFS has turned into a decent shooter too, while Kleber has turned into a good one.

But Lauri has more potential for sure. My issue is whether the Mavs would actually be able to tap into all of that? Luka plays heliocentric, which makes 3D guys pretty valuable, and that's what DFS and Kleber are.

Moving away from the heliocentric style of play, especially in the playoffs, will help a lot though, and Lauri can score on some ISOs, put the ball on the floor some, and even finish a little.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#53 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:50 am

I'd rather trade Powell for Lauri though.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:32 am

arkuo wrote:This is simple. Lauri's base is Kleber's ceiling.

No, Kleber will never be what Lauri is.
The difference in talent is too much.
It is a no match.

And no, on this board a lot of users have doubts to make Kleber for Lauri straight up. Read back.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:33 am

HairyGOATee wrote:I'd rather trade Powell for Lauri though.

Noone wants Powell, you can only dump him with a pick or a young guy.
Thank you Mark,Donnie and Rick.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#56 » by arkuo » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:14 pm

I'd like to believe bad systems with poor environment produces substandard play. If anyone is interested, you may skip Lauri Markannen's performance the past couple of years and just watch his FIBA or Eurobasket play instead. That would be a better gauge of his potential play. Chicago was a bad place to be in the past couple of years, so the gameplay can also be reflective of that. Not 100%, but you get the point.

If it only takes Kleber straight up, you'd have to do the deal. I believe Kleber has reached his peak, and even at Lauri's rock bottom value, you can get equal overall production in terms that Lauri produces more offense and Kleber produces more defense at the position.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#57 » by BlueSan » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:54 pm

Look defensively Lauri is a bit of a mess so things are not as straightforward as some people think. However Lauri on a nice contract if half decent CAN be flipped for something later on so in that sense you are getting a nice tradable asset.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#58 » by JJP » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:07 pm

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#59 » by Pinkyring » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:27 pm

BlueSan wrote:Look defensively Lauri is a bit of a mess so things are not as straightforward as some people think. However Lauri on a nice contract if half decent CAN be flipped for something later on so in that sense you are getting a nice tradable asset.

Luka is a mess defensively so is hardaway and Brunson and lauri is better than the last two, fact is we need talent over everything else u can add defensive role players anytime
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#60 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:21 am

41Dirk41 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:I'd rather trade Powell for Lauri though.

Noone wants Powell, you can only dump him with a pick or a young guy.
Thank you Mark,Donnie and Rick.

I'd be willing to do that, but it does depend.

Return to Dallas Mavericks