2022 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

2022 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by thedoppelganger » Wed Aug 4, 2021 10:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Might need that 2022 Draft thread to start soon, big piece from 2023 class reclassifies to 2022 even if his hype has died down a little

EDIT: Apparently Bates is still too young as of now to be in the 2022 Draft, so he'll be in the 2023 class unless a rule change happens in the next year.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

2022 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Aug 4, 2021 10:18 pm

The way early top ten by sam vecenie…
Spoiler:
1. Paolo Banchero | 6-10 forward | 18 years old, freshman | Duke

I’m probably going a bit off board here by not having Chet Holmgren at No. 1, but I am an enormous fan of what Banchero brings to the table. I have been since I first saw him back in 2019, where I felt he displayed some of the highest level basketball IQ I’d seen from a high school underclassman. He’s awesome positionally on defense and plays with extremely high energy. He’s improved his ability from 3-point range and has taken an even greater leap in terms of perimeter skill set and polish, now possessing the ability at 6-foot-10 to legit take dudes off the bounce and attack. He’s a terrific passer too. The only real concern here is that he’s not a particularly awesome athlete laterally and in terms of speed. But he’s so skilled and so strong that I think he’s going to translate at an exceedingly high level to the NBA.

2. Chet Holmgren | 7-1 forward/center | 19 years old, freshman | Gonzaga

Don’t fret, Holmgren/Gonzaga fans. I’m still a big fan of what the 7-foot star out of Minneapolis brings to the table. He just carried Team USA to a U19 World Cup gold medal this summer as the MVP of the event. With something in the range of a 7-foot-4 wingspan, Holmgren is a terrific long-term prospect as a rim protector. His timing and the way he uses his length around the rim are absolutely superb. He can also step out and knock down 3s, in addition to his dexterity handling the ball out on the perimeter. He has some potential to create shots at a real clip.

Ultimately, all of this is going to be contingent upon him getting stronger, as right now he tips the scales under 200 pounds. He would need around 30-plus pounds over the next four years to play the center position long-term. He might end up being something of a 7-foot 4 man. But Holmgren is legit, and he’ll pair with Drew Timme as college basketball’s best frontcourt this year.

3. Jaden Hardy | 6-4 guard | 19 years old | G League Ignite

A 6-foot-4 combo guard, Hardy profiles much more toward the scoring side of the equation. He’s the 2021 recruiting class’ elite scorer, creating and making difficult shots with ease. Unlike someone like Jalen Green, Hardy is more of a craftsman than an explosive athlete. He has some pop in terms of explosiveness, but more than that, he’s extremely smooth, with great body control and a combination of change of pace with crossovers and hesitation moves.

He hits pull-ups with ease and has legitimate NBA range. There is some passing ability off a live dribble too. He does have a tendency to overdribble and try to do too much, but that happens often at lower levels. The Ignite was probably a good choice for him because his game profiles a bit better toward the open-style pro game.

4. Yannick Nzosa | 6-11 center | 17 years old | Unicaja Malaga

5. Nikola Jovic | 6-10 forward | 18 years old | Mega

6. Patrick Baldwin | 6-9 forward | 18 years old | Milwaukee

7. Caleb Houstan | 6-8 wing | 18 years old | Michigan

8. Jaden Ivey | 6-4 guard | 19 years old | Purdue

9. Jabari Smith | 6-10 forward | 18 years old | Auburn

10. A.J. Griffin | 6-6 forward | 17 years old | Duke
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#3 » by spearsy23 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 11:38 pm

Every person I've listened to so far really likes Banchero over chet.

Are people down on bates now?
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:10 am

spearsy23 wrote:Every person I've listened to so far really likes Banchero over chet.

Are people down on bates now?

I really know nothing of this draft other than four guys names. FYI, bates is two years out.
Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#5 » by spearsy23 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 1:47 am

I was just wondering based off the hype has died down comment
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#6 » by kdthunderup » Fri Aug 6, 2021 2:16 am

A lot of strong big man prospects in this draft. Could be why Presti held off drafting one this year.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#7 » by retrobro90 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:00 am

Was able to watch a good amount of these kids in the U19 tourney. Little disappointed in the lack of wing/guard talent this year.

Interested in Caleb Houstan headed to Michigan. Didn't shoot the 3 well in the U19s but reputation/form/FT% all suggest he'll be a + shooter at the next level and has enough size to guard the 3. Plays kinda upright and not super explosive but might be a function of a longer than average torso/low center of gravity.

Chet looks to me like he'll be a very effective player but not the type of transformational offensive talent to be a KD type 7ft'er who plays regularly out of triple threat/as a pnr ball handler at the next level. The weight also is a concern if he has to be exclusively played at the 5 though his instincts as a shot blocker and passer at that position are very impressive.

Jaden Ivey/Benedict Mathurin both had flashes as guards but neither of them dazzled consistently enough to make me bet on them being immediate helpers. Both with some impressive first step athleticism but some suspect ancillary skills as shooters/playmakers.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,072

Post#8 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:54 am

I refuse to watch videos of the best prospects before the lottery this time :oops:
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:02 pm

retrobro90 wrote:Was able to watch a good amount of these kids in the U19 tourney. Little disappointed in the lack of wing/guard talent this year.

Interested in Caleb Houstan headed to Michigan. Didn't shoot the 3 well in the U19s but reputation/form/FT% all suggest he'll be a + shooter at the next level and has enough size to guard the 3. Plays kinda upright and not super explosive but might be a function of a longer than average torso/low center of gravity.

Chet looks to me like he'll be a very effective player but not the type of transformational offensive talent to be a KD type 7ft'er who plays regularly out of triple threat/as a pnr ball handler at the next level. The weight also is a concern if he has to be exclusively played at the 5 though his instincts as a shot blocker and passer at that position are very impressive.

Jaden Ivey/Benedict Mathurin both had flashes as guards but neither of them dazzled consistently enough to make me bet on them being immediate helpers. Both with some impressive first step athleticism but some suspect ancillary skills as shooters/playmakers.

I wanted Mathurin to stay in the draft this year.
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#10 » by Dn4sty » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:42 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:I refuse to watch videos of the best prospects before the lottery this time :oops:

I’m a degenerate. I’ve already got sort of a top 14 going
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#11 » by retrobro90 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:50 pm

As far as I can tell theres no one in the top 5 right now that's a truly imposing athlete and I think that's what I'd like for OKC the most. Maybe Duren or Nnoza but I'm pretty against taking a big man that high especially if theyre mostly gonna be a rim runner on offense. Really wish they could've landed Barnes this draft. There's no one on the current okc squad with any edge or chip on their shoulder
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#12 » by namlede » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:37 pm

id say Dort plays with a chip on his shoulder. Also Ty Jerome is a gritty player.
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#13 » by jambalaya » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:00 am

I don't know many guys in this draft yet, so my views may change. But I start off with these thoughts:

If they get a top 2 pick, probably ok to take Banchero or Holmgren, though I want them to prove it at college level. If you can't get them with top pick, I'd probably trade down. The purpose being moving up to take Prkacin and J Walker (likely necessary despite current rankings). Those are the guys I really want as of now.

Fall back names for late first round or second round would include M Williams, maybe Champagnie, possibly Mayer. Others may get found later.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#14 » by retrobro90 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:09 am

namlede wrote:id say Dort plays with a chip on his shoulder. Also Ty Jerome is a gritty player.

I almost never see Dort emote let alone talk trash on the court and if Ty Jerome is supposed to embody this teams grit/emotional leader status then we're gonna have no trouble reaching next year's bottom of the standings.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#15 » by retrobro90 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:22 pm

retrobro90 wrote:Was able to watch a good amount of these kids in the U19 tourney. Little disappointed in the lack of wing/guard talent this year.

Revisiting this. I think I may have been too hasty in casting judgement on Chet as someone who won't regularly play out of TT/PnR handling. Rewatched 2 of those games (against Mali and Turkey, think the France game was what left the taste in my mouth.) and he has some real special talent on the offensive end and I think he's gonna be able to handle on a consistent basis. Love the fearlessness he plays with too and how often he talks trash to his opponents. Right now he's my #1 but that could change quickly (especially if AJ Griffin has a strong start).

I'm getting lower and lower on Duren and Nzosa. Duren I can admit I've only watched in poorly shot high school film and he at least has some strength to him that makes me think he'll be able to hang with most 5s defensively. Neither of them have any established range outside the restricted area. Duren has made a few mid range jumpers and Nzosa has some touch on his floater but both of those skills seem to be more flashy than fully incorporated into each of their offenses. Duren isn't the physical freak you really want from his archetype to be drafted in the top 5. I've heard Dwight Howard comparisons and he's just not the explosive athlete that prime young Dwight was. Nzosa looks like if Nerlens Noel/John Henson could maybe one day be an effective short roll passer but for 7ft he weighs about 170 and is very much a project despite playing regular minutes in the ACB.
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#16 » by thedoppelganger » Wed Oct 6, 2021 9:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Memphis will be a must watch this year with Duren, but Bates' already dipping stock didn't get any help from this
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#17 » by getrichordie » Thu Oct 7, 2021 8:41 pm

Lots of folks are out on Bates already. Some think he will fall out of the lotto next year. He’s 2023 not 2022.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#18 » by getrichordie » Thu Oct 7, 2021 8:42 pm

Jovic might go top 5 depending on how things shake out.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#19 » by namlede » Fri Oct 8, 2021 3:12 pm

id like to add a versatile elite defender to our center position. He doesn't have to be great offensively, but he should be able to make the right read, pass and be a decent shooter. Keeping my eye on Jalen Duren.

Giddey
SGA
Dort
Duren or another defensive C

would be a nice lineup long term, we would just have to find a stretch 4. Hopefully Poku can develop into that, or Bazley.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#20 » by retrobro90 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:06 pm

I know there's talk in the twitter-sphere and elsewhere about "Presti has been playing 4D chess in anticipation of this loaded big men class to select the final big man infinity stone to his starting 5" but there's no way I personally would ever make a selection in this draft other than taking the BPA regardless of position.

The college season can't get here soon enough either because I'm ready for either someone unexpected to vault themselves up the ladder or for one of the guys currently at the top to ease my skepticism.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder