ImageImage

Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,121

Re: Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#561 » by Snidely FC » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:06 pm

congratulations to the Hornets for once again negotiating against themselves and overvaluing their own player. 6'1" Terry Rozier is our star SG? great

Meanwhile why did they draft Bouknight if they were gonna lock up Rozier for years? Rozier and Bouknight are practically the same player. I just don't understand this team I really don't
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,201

Post#562 » by amcoolio » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:08 pm

He seems to have taken a leadership role, he's hosting his own training camp for all the Hornets sans coaches for a few weeks. If he keeps improving then this is a steal.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,665

Post#563 » by Diop » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:16 pm

He was insanely good last year, I don’t hate this at all.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#564 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:25 pm

I have a hard time feeling bad about this contract ATM. Terry was by many measures the best player on the team last year.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#565 » by BigSlam » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:49 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I have a hard time feeling bad about this contract ATM. Terry was by many measures the best player on the team last year.

Wasn’t he something like top 3 in the entire NBA for clutch points/baskets made?

And the other two making up the top 3 were someone like Harden and Curry?
B B M F 'ers
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#566 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:59 pm

BigSlam wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I have a hard time feeling bad about this contract ATM. Terry was by many measures the best player on the team last year.

Wasn’t he something like top 3 in the entire NBA for clutch points/baskets made?

And the other two making up the top 3 were someone like Harden and Curry?

Not sure where he ended up but a majority of the season he was top 2 or 3 in catch and shoot opportunities from deep as well. Players like Davis Bertans who's literally only skill is that got paid something like 5/90 if I remember correctly, and Terry obviously does more than just that. This is a good deal.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 861

Post#567 » by Chapelchilla » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:03 pm

Snidely FC wrote:congratulations to the Hornets for once again negotiating against themselves and overvaluing their own player. 6'1" Terry Rozier is our star SG? great

Meanwhile why did they draft Bouknight if they were gonna lock in Rozier for years? Rozier and Bouknight are practically the same player. I just don't understand this team I really don't

Bouknight is still 2 years away from being 2 years away. He has potential but Terry is proven, a leader and in his prime. We do not wan't to start a young immature 2 guard beside Lamelo who cannot dribble, find other players or hit 3 pointers. That is 2021 Bouknight.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,561

Post#568 » by fatlever » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:11 pm

Great news

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#569 » by Rays Pompadour » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:41 pm

Market level deal on a player that outplayed his last contract. I'd say that was a win for him and the Hornets.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,561

Post#570 » by fatlever » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:46 pm

Not sure why anyone is upset or surprised. Bouk ain't even close to playoff level. Rozier is ready, one of few team leaders, keeps this team competitive, which is good for Melo development. Also tradeable contract, due to his elite catch and shoot and 4th q scoring. True bucket getter at end of games. Above average defender. Great fit next to melo.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,474

Post#571 » by LofJ » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:49 pm

It doesn't make any sense to take this as a sign that we don't like Bouknight. We shouldn't make the mistake of assuming that Rozier will play out his contract in Charlotte. Earlier in the offseason it was rumored that 10 teams were interested in trading for him. This contract extension will only increase his trade value. I don't think we're going to trade him this year, but a market will be there if/when we decide that is prudent.
-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 849

Post#572 » by -Ian- » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:11 pm

BigSlam wrote:And once again, our FO shows how professionally tight lipped they are and how very little, if anything at all, gets leaked.

This seemed to get done under the radar and hasn’t been mentioned in the news at all.

I love it.

One of the underrated things about Mitch's admin.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,140

Post#573 » by Rich4114 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:46 pm

I guess this explains the previous few moves made. You guys are making me feel better about it. I just hope he’s even close this season to what he was last for us. If that happens then it’s money well spent.

But now we have 5 years of Terry at a large contract plus 3 more of Gordon at an even larger one with Miles contract needing to be dealt with and LaMelo getting his bag before Terry and whatever we give Miles ends. We are locking ourselves into this roster now, which isn’t bad but they’re making some bets here that I hope work out well.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,474

Post#574 » by LofJ » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:52 pm

Rich4114 wrote:I guess this explains the previous few moves made. You guys are making me feel better about it. I just hope he’s even close this season to what he was last for us. If that happens then it’s money well spent.

But now we have 5 years of Terry at a large contract plus 3 more of Gordon at an even larger one with Miles contract needing to be dealt with and LaMelo getting his bag before Terry and whatever we give Miles ends. We are locking ourselves into this roster now, which isn’t bad but they’re making some bets here that I hope work out well.

You know we can trade players right? We aren't locking ourselves into this roster for the next 3 to 5 years. Kupchak hasn't handed out any Batum level disasters yet that can't be traded.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,301

Post#575 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:01 pm

Keeping draft picks facilitates movement of contracts for upgrades. Roster looks lean and mean to me. Bridges' extension won't push the team into the luxury tax. Hornets got their guy in free agency every year of the Batum stretch. Year one Hayward, year two Oubre, year three in advance Rozier. Batum will be off when Miles' extension kicks in. Plumlee and Oubre's deals expire with PJ's. The whole young core remains in tact. They need to learn from Rozier and Hayward how to win, more specifically how to optimize their skills/talent so that it translates into winning basketball. Everybody chill.
It has been written...
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,692

Post#576 » by MPM » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:17 pm

Yeah, really zero wrong with this. What you pay these days for 20/4/4 with 39% 3pt on high volume. Plus he's effort+ and a good leader. Plus-plus it doesn't really hamstring us and sets us up for trades if he continues to perform and we underperform, etc. Sensible investment. Yes, he's short. I don't like it either.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 42,929

Post#577 » by JDR720 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:42 pm

Man, that's an expensive bench player ;)
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 42,929

Post#578 » by JDR720 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:53 pm

I'm pretty indifferent to this.

Paying a 6-1 SG 25m per year limits our ceiling. I don't think Rozier is a top 30-35 player. This + Gordon's contract + Miles upcoming extension will pretty much stop us from making significant signings in the future, outside of trades. So hopefully our young players take a leap or two.

But on the other hand if he actually manages to average 20/5/5 it'll be better than Gordon's contract. He can maybe be LeMelo's CJ McCollum. Hopefully we can make it out of the 2nd round though.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 861

Post#579 » by Chapelchilla » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:04 pm

JDR720 wrote:I'm pretty indifferent to this.

Paying a 6-1 SG 25m per year limits our ceiling. I don't think Rozier is a top 30-35 player. This + Gordon's contract + Miles upcoming extension will pretty much stop us from making significant signings in the future, outside of trades. So hopefully our young players take a leap or two.

But on the other hand if he actually manages to average 20/5/5 it'll be better than Gordon's contract. He can maybe be LeMelo's CJ McCollum. Hopefully we can make it out of the 2nd round though.

Good news - he is the 57th highest paid player in 2021 and he would be 46th highest paid if next year’s salary were this year. Probably lower ranked after next years other contract extensions kick in.
It’s not a huge outlay for a good player in his prime.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#580 » by BigSlam » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:32 pm

fatlever wrote:Great news

Who are you and what have you done with the real fatlever?

:lol:
B B M F 'ers

Return to Charlotte Hornets