ImageImageImage

What's The Starting Lineup Now?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

What's The Starting Lineup Now? 

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:10 am

JRich is gone, so he's obviously not a starter anymore (wasn't one in the playoffs either), and there might be a case for Bullock over DFS. Then you gotta consider Powell, WCS, or Kleber as the 4/5 next to KP.

But I think the starting lineup will look like this:

Luka
THJ
DFS
Kleber
KP

So, basically what we ran with in the playoffs, lol.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Re: What's The Starting Lineup Now? 

Post#2 » by fuller4379 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:44 am

HairyGOATee wrote:JRich is gone, so he's obviously not a starter anymore (wasn't one in the playoffs either), and there might be a case for Bullock over DFS. Then you gotta consider Powell, WCS, or Kleber as the 4/5 next to KP.

Luka
THJ
DFS
Kleber
KP

THJ stared fewer than half the games last year, but I am thinking he will now be a full time starter based on what they are paying him. KP will miss about half the games this season. In those games Bullock starts and the Mavs go small.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,434

Post#3 » by Maverick41 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:50 am

I think there's a chance that Bullock starts over THJ. Mostly due to adding an extra scorer off the bench to stabilize the 2nd unit with Brunson if there's not another playmaker added before the start of the season.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,736

Post#4 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:36 am

We are mostly improved...no significat change.

Hahahahhahah
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#5 » by SOUNDCHASER » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:36 am

Boban was the 4th leading scorer in the playoffs
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#6 » by leolozon » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:54 pm

The best lineup could well be going small, even if it won't happen :

Luka, THJ, Bullock, DFS, Kleber.

I would like to see Bullock starting just to see a change. Some "young blood" would be nice. So realistically :

Luka, THJ, Bullock, Kleber and KP. Or DFS instead of Kleber.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:17 am

fuller4379 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:JRich is gone, so he's obviously not a starter anymore (wasn't one in the playoffs either), and there might be a case for Bullock over DFS. Then you gotta consider Powell, WCS, or Kleber as the 4/5 next to KP.

Luka
THJ
DFS
Kleber
KP

THJ stared fewer than half the games last year, but I am thinking he will now be a full time starter based on what they are paying him. KP will miss about half the games this season. In those games Bullock starts and the Mavs go small.

They could also start Boban because the analytics department just loves him, lol.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:19 am

41Dirk41 wrote:We are mostly improved...no significat change.

Hahahahhahah

lol, right. Swing and a miss, but they laid the groundwork for the future, I guess. Got Kidd & Nico, picked up Moses Brown, re-signed THJ, and then gave Luka an extension. Gotta give Brunson an extension now, and hopefully pull off another move to improve the team. Bullock and Sterling Brown are solid adds, but I can't really include them in the analysis of the future too much.

I'd like to get rid of Powell and Burke for sure, and would be open to trading others so long as it helps the team immediately improve. Long-run investments can be made through the draft or with UDFAs and reclamation projects. If they make a trade during the season, then it better be to upgrade in the short-term.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:20 am

leolozon wrote:The best lineup could well be going small, even if it won't happen :

Luka, THJ, Bullock, DFS, Kleber.

I would like to see Bullock starting just to see a change. Some "young blood" would be nice. So realistically :

Luka, THJ, Bullock, Kleber and KP. Or DFS instead of Kleber.

That lineup would be good when other teams go small, for sure. And when KP is out of the lineup. I like it.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#10 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:27 am

Hopefully KP comes to play this year and we see his game significantly elevated to the next level. Moses Brown gives us a huge potential for improvement to pair a more mobile defensive oriented Center type next to a stretch PF type big in KP. They could seal up all access to the rim and force teams into bricking shots as they go cold from the outside. With 3 other shooters plus KP and Brown we would have enough outside shooting paired with some defensive bigs that could team up to shut down the interior and also dunk it when needed and not fumble any passes from Luka.

The only problem to me has been how poor the defensive game was being handled and really we were not very good at keeping teams from getting extra looks so that made me want the mavs to get a better rebounding center that could end possessions more often so we could stop letting teams get extra shots. Add to this basic level of defense on the interior with size advantages and you have Luka at the PG providing major weaponized shot creation capabilites and then put any of the 4 wings we haveout there to get Luka some assist ops depending on who looks to get hottest.

DFS, THJ, Brown and Bullock and if any youngster starts to blossom then maybe we are set up for a deeper run in the playoff that should produce way more positive results. When you rest KP and Brown then you have a lot of depth to use with Kleeber Boban WCS and maybe Onu if he comes to play this season.

Now if nobody makes a trade to snag Powell then we are stuck with him and I am just hoping and praying we do not try to play him in an effort to sell teams on making a trade for him and lets not showcase him to much we need to win more games and secure home court I know the urge to trade him means you need to demonstrate his game to the right people that might fall for him being decent enough and so we need a sucker to gift us with some assistance to help us get rid of him. Face it he sucks at shooting from 3 so not interested anymore he had time to develop a shot and he failed to do so.

I know we have a situation where it is uncertain what is going to happen with the remaining free agent situation and trades but I am clearly one to like the team the way it has evolved so that we now have Moses to play next to KP and then Luka and I think it can make sense to use any of our 4 wings whoever is hottest at the time to get that type of rotation thing happening.

The 4 of them can all hit 40% or so from distance so that seems to be the best way to do it. Hopefully we see everyone giving it their all on D as well.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:02 am

Powell is a no problem if this is the way, we don't want improve too much this year then he will becomes an expiring contract next year and more easy to trade or dump.
And probably he will play more than Boban, WCS and Brown because he is not worse than them.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,982

Post#12 » by daoneandonly » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:58 pm

As of now, it should be

Luka
THJ
Bullock
DFS
KP
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#13 » by LAL1947 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:03 pm

With the number of centers on the team... I'm thinking it has to be:

1-5: Luka, THJ, DFS, Porzingis, Powell

6-10: Brunson, Brown, Bullock, Kleber, WCS or Boban
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,034

Post#14 » by Mavrelous » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:42 pm

THJ should come off the bench
DFS/Bullock/Luka/Powell/KP
Brunson/Brown/THJ/Kleber/WCS
Terry/Green/Omouroi/Brown/Boban
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,355

Post#15 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:59 pm

SOUNDCHASER wrote:Hopefully KP comes to play this year and we see his game significantly elevated to the next level. Moses Brown gives us a huge potential for improvement to pair a more mobile defensive oriented Center type next to a stretch PF type big in KP. They could seal up all access to the rim and force teams into bricking shots as they go cold from the outside. With 3 other shooters plus KP and Brown we would have enough outside shooting paired with some defensive bigs that could team up to shut down the interior and also dunk it when needed and not fumble any passes from Luka.

The only problem to me has been how poor the defensive game was being handled and really we were not very good at keeping teams from getting extra looks so that made me want the mavs to get a better rebounding center that could end possessions more often so we could stop letting teams get extra shots. Add to this basic level of defense on the interior with size advantages and you have Luka at the PG providing major weaponized shot creation capabilites and then put any of the 4 wings we haveout there to get Luka some assist ops depending on who looks to get hottest.

DFS, THJ, Brown and Bullock and if any youngster starts to blossom then maybe we are set up for a deeper run in the playoff that should produce way more positive results. When you rest KP and Brown then you have a lot of depth to use with Kleeber Boban WCS and maybe Onu if he comes to play this season.

Now if nobody makes a trade to snag Powell then we are stuck with him and I am just hoping and praying we do not try to play him in an effort to sell teams on making a trade for him and lets not showcase him to much we need to win more games and secure home court I know the urge to trade him means you need to demonstrate his game to the right people that might fall for him being decent enough and so we need a sucker to gift us with some assistance to help us get rid of him. Face it he sucks at shooting from 3 so not interested anymore he had time to develop a shot and he failed to do so.

I know we have a situation where it is uncertain what is going to happen with the remaining free agent situation and trades but I am clearly one to like the team the way it has evolved so that we now have Moses to play next to KP and then Luka and I think it can make sense to use any of our 4 wings whoever is hottest at the time to get that type of rotation thing happening.

The 4 of them can all hit 40% or so from distance so that seems to be the best way to do it. Hopefully we see everyone giving it their all on D as well.

I'm not so sure it's a realistic possibility that a HC would put that line up on the floor enough to really see whether it can gel, but I do agree that Luka-THJ-Bullock-KP-Brown is very intriguing and might (only might!) click into some other level.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#16 » by Pinkyring » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:31 am

Hopefully there's a starter not on the roster yet as of now i truly don't know, one would think with what thj is making he has to start but who knows, it'd be nice to start Dorian and Bullock but then what do you do at 4 it can't be maxi because he can't score and just getting offense out of luka and kp isnt enough. Its also insane to think kp shouldn't start whrn he's clearly the second best player on the roster
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:53 am

Pinkyring wrote:Hopefully there's a starter not on the roster yet as of now i truly don't know, one would think with what thj is making he has to start but who knows, it'd be nice to start Dorian and Bullock but then what do you do at 4 it can't be maxi because he can't score and just getting offense out of luka and kp isnt enough. Its also insane to think kp shouldn't start whrn he's clearly the second best player on the roster

Markaneen
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 831

Post#18 » by Teffer10 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:54 am

I don't see the Mavs re-signing THJ to come off the bench.
Maxi and/or Powell starting would be a clear indicator that we haven't improved at all from last season.

My guess our SL from current roster:

Luka/THJ/Bullock/DFS/KP

I think of Bullock/DFS in the starting lineup similar as Maxi/DFS...simply can't start both and call yourself a contender.
Mayyyybe one of them but definitely not both in either scenario.

We definitely need to be shopping for a starting caliber PF.
Markkanen is probably the best prospect but I don't see a Markkanen/KP starting frontcourt working at all.

Trade Maxi for Markkanen and then shop KP/Brunson for another young player that would be a good fit with Markkanen in the frontcourt. In other words, put Markkanen in the Dirk role and go shopping for a Tyson Chandler type.

Luka/THJ/Markkanen and whatever we could net from a KP/Brunson trade could become a nice core to build around going forward.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,034

Post#19 » by Mavrelous » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:32 am

Teffer10 wrote:I don't see the Mavs re-signing THJ to come off the bench.
Maxi and/or Powell starting would be a clear indicator that we haven't improved at all from last season.

Luka/THJ/Bullock/DFS/KP

I think of Bullock/DFS in the starting lineup similar as Maxi/DFS...simply can't start both and call yourself a contender.

Markkanen is probably the best prospect but I don't see a Markkanen/KP starting frontcourt working at all.

Trade Maxi for Markkanen and then shop KP/Brunson for another young player that would be a good fit with Markkanen in the frontcourt. In other words, put Markkanen in the Dirk role and go shopping for a Tyson Chandler type.

Luka/THJ/Markkanen and whatever we could net from a KP/Brunson trade could become a nice core to build around going forward.

THJ has the ability to hit contested shots, and has pull up game, he's the closes thing to shot creation Mavs have after Luka and Brunson, the rest of the team are spot up shooters on offense and 2 rolling bigs in WCS/Powell, it's much more balanced to have him off the bench with the 2nd unit, it worked extremely well last year.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 831

Post#20 » by Teffer10 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:15 am

KhalilS wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:I don't see the Mavs re-signing THJ to come off the bench.

Luka/THJ/Bullock/DFS/KP

THJ has the ability to hit contested shots, and has pull up game, he's the closes thing to shot creation Mavs have after Luka and Brunson, the rest of the team are spot up shooters on offense and 2 rolling bigs in WCS/Powell, it's much more balanced to have him off the bench with the 2nd unit, it worked extremely well last year.

Seems like a lot of money to pay a bench player which means we fill the rest of the SL with mere role players.
Like I said, you can't call yourself a championship caliber team if you have multiples of any of these guys (DFS, Bullock, Maxi, Powell, WCS) in your SL. THJ is a cut above those guys....at least the Mavs' FO seems to think so.

Trading Maxi for Markkanen would improve the SL situation but then you create a problem because there is too much correlation in the skillsets and deficiencies of KP and Markkanen. We'd have to package KP with someone like Brunson for another legit starter in order to move THJ to the bench imo.

I'm not opposed to THJ coming off the bench but when your 6th man is better than at least 60% of your SL there is a major problem with the team and holes need to be filled.

Right now I'd say Brunson is our 6th man and THJ is forced to be in the SL until the Mavs vastly improve it.

Return to Dallas Mavericks