ImageImage

Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,522

Re: Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#601 » by Bassman » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:16 am

I think it’s a solid deal. Rozier is a key part of our team and meshes great with Melo. BOUK is going to be good, but he needs time to just cope with coming off the bench as a rookie. Gives him time while Terry balls out for at least a few years here.

As to this deal possibly setting the table for dealing Gordo, I wouldn’t be surprised to see that happen for a Myles Turner package.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,162

Post#602 » by JMAC3 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:18 am

Our best player makes 8 million, 8.6 million and 11 million over the next three seasons. So yeah you can say Hayward and Rozier make 55 combined, but our three best make 65 Million combined (cap is 119 next season) which is barely over 50% of the cap. I think most teams would take that. By the time Melo is ready to get paid, Hayward contract will be off the books. By the time PJ is ready to get paid Batum Dead money will be off the books. Mitch is doing a really good job managing our future books.

If there is a time to overpay slightly for Vets it's when you have 5 lottery talent players on rookie deals.

He already let Graham and Monk go without panicking, I really don't think letting Rozier go made any sense. Especially when Bouknight is going to be super cheap for the majority of that contract as well.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,162

Post#603 » by JMAC3 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:38 am

Also, NBA free agency is not all that is cracked up to be. The best players to change teams this offseason were

Derozan on an overpay to Bulls... oh and Chicago gave up a first too. Derozan is also 32 yrs old
Lowry to Raptors... in a sign a trade where a team gave up a first-round talent and he is 35 years old
Ball to the Bulls
Fournier to Knicks
Graham to the Pelicans for a 1st (2 2nds maybe)

The EXCITEMENT!!!

The next offseason already looks horrible with the big prizes being Gary Harris, Aaron Gordon, Dragic and Nurkic. All the good RFA have signed extensions, will have signed extensions, or more than likely head back to their same team for the extra year and more money. Beal and LaVine will either sign for a billion dollars with current teams or force a trade to a top 5 market.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#604 » by Chapelchilla » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:43 pm

Lwcasu wrote:
Roll Tide 09 wrote:Hayward + Washington + future 2nd round pick…could definitely net us a star and a future 1st round pick. Just saying…

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I’d like to know what “star” that gets us…

somebody who is overpaid and underperforming ? Probably would rather have PJ and Gordon.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer

Post#605 » by Chapelchilla » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:59 pm

JDR720 wrote:
Chapelchilla wrote:
JDR720 wrote:I wonder if this is linked to Fran saying Gordon is on the trade block.

It would make sense. Our we really going to cap out the team around LaMelo in his 2nd year with Rozier and Gordon both making max contracts? We're pretty much recreating the Boston Celtics team when Irving was there if we are.

Neither Rozier or Hayward is making a real MAX contract, that’s based on semantics not figures. Embiid and Trae are basically getting 50 million a season.
Hayward is at 29, Rozier 24. Trae is a baller but not more then twice as good as Terry. If we can’t resign Miles or Ball that would be crippling but I don’t see that as the outcome here do you?
We have young , cheap but impressionable talent signed up for the next 3 years so spending some money for talented, unselfish vets who can shoot and provide steady leadership is likely a good investment now.

They're making close to 55m combined. That's pretty much half our cap space. One true max player or Rozier + Gordon? I think that choice is obvious. Not that we can sign one of those types anyway, so we have to settle.

Miles will sign an extension, I don't think that's an issue. Ball is another situation. He is 100% a big market player. We need to have the most talented team we can manage if we don't want him to leave. If we're a middling, capped out team there is no way he is staying. That's why it's critical that Kai, Bouknight work out and even Miles needs to take a step or three forward.

It's what is happening to Portland. It's already happened here with Kemba, although that actually worked well for us. We either have a top 3 East team by the time Melo is up for extension, or I think he'll go somewhere else. LaVar Ball is going to raise hell if we can't get out of the 1st round. Let alone miss the playoffs

Rozier's contract won't lead to that though. Like I mentioned, he can probably be CJ McCollum for us. It's Gordon who is really screwing us. 30m for a guy who misses 1/3rd of the season is a terrible contract.

Terry and Gordon are the veteran leaders of the team. Both seem like class acts and have good, modern NBA style skill sets. Shoot well, pass the ball, move their feet on D, etc. They give us a good baseline of NBA starter level talent, without them we would be well below average. To become a real contender we do need Lamelo to reach his full potential, Miles to keep progessing AND either Jones or Bouknight to also become a star. If one of them does and the Lamelo/Miles/Rozier/Hayward core stays healthy we would be posed to win big in a couple years as the Lebron/Durant/Harden NBA elder class ages out.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 558

Post#607 » by Walt Cronkite » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:42 pm

yosemiteben wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/hornets/news/terry-rozier-has-found-a-home-with-the-charlotte-hornets-anticipates-forming-a-real-scary-tandem-with-lamelo

Saying all of the right things. Easy to like.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#608 » by BigSlam » Wed Sep 8, 2021 7:01 pm

TRo not messing about:

Read on Twitter
B B M F 'ers
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer

Post#609 » by Chapelchilla » Wed Sep 8, 2021 8:11 pm

BigSlam wrote:TRo not messing about:

Read on Twitter

Aww man, love to see that. Hayward, Melo, Oubre and Terry the highest paid leaders, all showing up for extra work together in pre-preseason. Gotta dig that.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#610 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed Sep 8, 2021 8:45 pm

Leader
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,522

Post#611 » by Bassman » Wed Sep 8, 2021 11:56 pm

Super proud of these guys coming together to work. Rozier is dedicated, and stepping up to lead shows his high character. It also demonstrates his burning desire to win. Love it!
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Roll Tide 09
Bench Warmer
And1: 439

Post#612 » by Roll Tide 09 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:15 am

I’m not surprised. Rozier is a leader and has the hunger to win by any means. If he improves as much as last season, we got a crazy steal for his contract.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
IG: @theonlylogicalthinker
IG: @arisethecompany

Twitter: @arisethecompany

LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#613 » by LofJ » Fri Oct 1, 2021 1:18 pm

Another W for Rozier, he's having a killer year so far:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-rozier-silences-scream-lawsuit-140004935.html
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#614 » by CuseMayne » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:30 am

Really want to hear some sort of update with Terry's ankle...I'm going to Hornets at Nets on Oct 24th and am praying he'll be playing...
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,618

Post#615 » by fatlever » Thu Nov 4, 2021 11:38 am

When should we be worried? We've got 5 more yrs of this.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#616 » by Snidely FC » Thu Nov 4, 2021 11:57 am

I thought the team was more fun to watch with McD in Roziers playing slot; more balance, movement, size, versatility; less hero ball
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#617 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Nov 4, 2021 12:08 pm

fatlever wrote:When should we be worried? We've got 5 more yrs of this.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

In about 40 more games
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#618 » by Diop » Thu Nov 4, 2021 2:15 pm

I remember badly hurting my ankle and finding my shooting was the last thing to come back, as my lift had changed. Hopefully it’s only temporary
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#619 » by Snidely FC » Sat Nov 6, 2021 12:47 pm

after a bright start the team is 2-3 in 5 games since Roziers return with stagnant movement, ice cold shooting and lame perimeter defense endemic
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,673

Post#620 » by KembaWalker » Sat Nov 6, 2021 1:04 pm

If he doesn't wanna play defense he needs to just go back to being a 6th man

Return to Charlotte Hornets