Mavericks Hiring LA Sparks' Kristi Toliver As Assistant Coach  

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:01 am

☰

[https://syndication]

[https://media]AP Photo/Ashley Landis

Mavericks Hiring LA Sparks' Kristi Toliver As Assistant Coach

JOSEPH ZUCKER
AUGUST 19, 2021

The Dallas Mavericks are hiring Los Angeles Sparks star Kristi Toliver as an assistant coach, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.
In addition to a prolific playing career in the WNBA, the three-time All-Star began working as an assistant with the Washington Wizards in October 2018.

The Mavericks are preparing for their first season with Jason Kidd at the helm. As part of the turnover in their staff, they saw former WNBA head coach Jenny Boucek follow Rick Carlisle to the Indiana Pacers.

Brad Townsend of the Dallas Morning News reported Wednesday that Dallas had interviewed at least two female assistant coaching candidates and "would prefer to go that direction if the right candidate is found."

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10010664-mavericks-hiring-la-sparks-kristi-toliver-as-assistant-coach.amp.html

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: Mavericks Hiring LA Sparks' Kristi Toliver As Assistant Coach 

Post#2 » by arkuo » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:50 am

Probably a token female hire to promote "gender diversity". Cynt Marshall also being the same thing being black and female. So it adds to the mostly positive PR image that Cuban is building.

Toliver has not shown any ace that could get her picked above Becky Hammon IMO. The Wizards' record is also not that impressive to be honest.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#3 » by LAL1947 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:19 am

It's very weird to see an active WNBA player taking a role (or being given one) on an NBA team as an assistant coach. Inactive player, fair enough... but an active one, whose team is all the way over in LA? Is there not a single person who lives in the city of Dallas or the whole state of Texas qualified for the job? Very weird. Almost as weird as Cynt Marshall being hired CEO, when she admits to not even knowing who Mark Cuban was at the time of the interview.

So what does the coaching staff look like at this point? Jason Kidd, Kokoskov, Armstrong, Shammgod, JJ Barrea... Kristi Toliver... who else?

I'd like to throw an alternative viewpoint out there, as a Luka fan. It seems lame that Luka (a European) has to pay the price for whatever gender/racial diversity or empowerment craziness the USA, the NBA or Cuban/Mavs want to embrace. All this has nothing to do with him, so why should he have to accept a lesser supporting cast when guys like Lebron, KD, Giannis, AD, etc and their teams don't have to... y'know, his competitors, who are winning and will continue to contend for rings that Luka should be contending for?
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#4 » by arkuo » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:30 am

LAL1947 wrote:It's very weird to see an active WNBA player taking a role (or being given one) on an NBA team as an assistant coach. Inactive player, fair enough... but an active one? Very weird. Almost as weird as Cynt Marshall being hired as CEO, when she admits she didn't even know who Mark Cuban was at the time of the interview. So what does the coaching staff look like at this point? Jason Kidd, Kokoskov, Armstrong, Shammgod, JJ Barrea... Kristi Toliver... who else?

I'd like to throw an alternative viewpoint out there, as a Luka fan. It seems lame that Luka (a European) has to pay the price for whatever gender/racial diversity or empowerment craziness the USA, the NBA or Cuban/Mavs want to embrace. All this has nothing to do with him, so why should he have to accept a lesser supporting cast when guys like Lebron, KD, Giannis, AD, etc and their teams don't have to... y'know, his competitors, who are winning and will continue to contend for rings that Luka should be contending for?

Once Luka learns how to recruit like Lebron or KD, that's the time he can bring in players with him. These guys need to be wooed the same way Lebron calls them every summer.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by LAL1947 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:39 am

arkuo wrote:Once Luka learns how to recruit like Lebron or KD, that's the time he can bring in players with him. These guys need to be wooed the same way Lebron calls them every summer.

Sometimes it feels like Luka needs to do everything for this team, lol, like literally everything. Would be nice if he got some help from the owner, CEO, GM and past players instead of them being token-heads.

Looks like the Mavs need to adopt "best player/person available" strategy everywhere... in the draft and their hirings too.

The only winners right now are sports writers who could pick up on any of these topics and write about them or question Mark Cuban and the FO.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#6 » by JJP » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:32 pm

LAL1947 wrote:It's very weird to see an active WNBA player taking a role (or being given one) on an NBA team as an assistant coach. Inactive player, fair enough... but an active one, whose team is all the way over in LA? Is there not a single person who lives in the city of Dallas or the whole state of Texas qualified for the job? Very weird. Almost as weird as Cynt Marshall being hired CEO, when she admits to not even knowing who Mark Cuban was at the time of the interview.

I have a problem with that kind of thinking (I include arkuo here as well). Tolliver was an NBA assistant coach for the Wizards for two years. You need to ask yourself if you would have said the same thing about Jason Terry - who has less NBA coaching experience than she does.

I do have a problem (and probably you do too) with the fact that they made it known they were looking for a woman. That automatically sets Tolliver into a kind of gender "token-ness" that is completely unnecessary. She's a qualified candidate or she isn't. Period.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by LAL1947 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:58 pm

JJP wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:It's very weird to see an active WNBA player taking a role (or being given one) on an NBA team as an assistant coach. Inactive player, fair enough... but an active one, whose team is all the way over in LA? Is there not a single person who lives in the city of Dallas or the whole state of Texas qualified for the job? Very weird. Almost as weird as Cynt Marshall being hired CEO, when she admits to not even knowing who Mark Cuban was at the time of the interview.

I have a problem with that kind of thinking. Tolliver was an NBA assistant coach for the Wizards for two years. You need to ask yourself if you would have said the same thing about Jason Terry - who has less NBA coaching experience than she does.

While the Front Office may be looking for a woman, it's clear by several examples that there are women out there who are qualified.

I do have a problem (and probably you do too) with the fact that they made it known they were looking for a woman. That automatically sets Tolliver into a kind of gender "token-ness" that is completely unnecessary. She's a qualified candidate or she isn't. Period.

I'm happy to discuss if there is some misunderstanding.

1) I do not have an issue with a woman being appointed assistant coach. Let's get that out of the way first please.

2) My bone of contention is that she is an active player on an LA-based team... where I presume she has responsibilities and commitments, including the need to practice with her team-mates and travel to play games. If I'm wrong about this and she is 100% available to the Mavs, then fair enough, whatever I've pointed out is a non-issue.

3) And you are correct, I do have an issue with the fact that they made it known they were looking for a woman... you explained the why very well.... i.e., "it automatically sets Tolliver into a kind of gender "token-ness" that is completely unnecessary". However, it's not something I'd hold against the person hired if she was qualified and able to be fully-focused on the team... not a gimmick hire... especially when I think the FO is under-performing as it is.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by JJP » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:09 pm

Ok, wait. Are you thinking she's going to continue her WNBA job? (or player) - because I would have a problem with that as well. But I'm sure that's not the case. If you find that to be true, please post the reference. That's crazy.

And we really don't care where she is now. Nor do we really care what team she was with or where the team is located. None of these are coaching qualifications. Maybe that's related to you thinking she continues in some capacity in the WNBA - hard to read that and understand it.

And honestly, I just went and edited my last post before this, because arkuo's comments sounded worse than yours. I can at least understand yours without the implied misogyny. So I apologize for the strength of it.

Edit: The WNBA season is mostly over. It ends in about a month. I assume there are no commitments going forward to the WNBA that would be problematic for her to be on location in Dallas. I would be annoyed if she was getting paid by the Mavs and playing in the WNBA at the same time after this hire.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by LAL1947 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:27 pm

JJP wrote:Ok, wait. Are you thinking she's going to continue her WNBA job? (or player) - because I would have a problem with that as well. But I'm sure that's not the case. If you find that to be true, please post the reference. That's crazy.

Of course I think she's going to continue with her WNBA job as a player... that was the only reason for me to mention the WNBA, not because it's the woman's league. I wouldn't want to presume otherwise for 2 reasons:

1) I read the article linked in HMFFL's opening post. It says this:
"It's unclear when Toliver plans to retire, and she's signed with the Sparks through the 2022 season."

2) If she continued playing with the LA Sparks while coaching on the Wizards, then why would I assume she'd give it up while coaching on the Mavericks?
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#10 » by JJP » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:32 pm

Well let's just put it this way then. If she doesn't retire, then we both have a problem with it.

I have a hard time seeing a paid coaching position go to someone who is getting paid and playing on a WNBA team elsewhere. I just don't believe that's the case here. But you're right. I'll retract the criticism in that case.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by LAL1947 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:40 pm

JJP wrote:Well let's just put it this way then. If she doesn't retire, then we both have a problem with it.

I have a hard time seeing a paid coaching position go to someone who is getting paid and playing on a WNBA team elsewhere. I just don't believe that's the case here. But you're right.

Glad we're on the same page. It's not about being paid twice for me. Simply want someone who is 100% available to and focused on the Mavs. If it's an internship/learning type thing for her, that's fine too... as long as the team and Jason Kidd has whatever full-time assistant coaches they need.

JJP wrote: I'll retract the criticism in that case.

All good. Cheers.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by JJP » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:41 pm

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/8/21/22635648/kristi-toliver-joins-dallas-mavericks-assistant-coach

Here is a marvelously vague non-answer to your question

"Toliver is still under contract with the Sparks through the 2022 season. Her coaching position with the Mavericks would not interfere with her playing career."

Return to Dallas Mavericks