ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

right between the eyes
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,513

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1021 » by right between the eyes » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:49 pm

PrinceAli wrote:Raptors first tiktok
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMRFmDNG1/

Thanks for sharing..was this from today or when he was in Toronto before?
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#1022 » by StopitLeo » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:56 pm

HiJiNX wrote:Yeah, I don’t know where this “Barnes isn’t athletic” rhetoric is coming from. Well maybe I do. Lanky guys tend to look slow even when they’re moving fast. And you can say that Barnes isn’t the most explosive guy but he’s not a mediocre athlete by any means—he just doesn’t have freaky explosiveness. One thing that I think people are really overlooking about Barnes athleticism is how quickly he reaches top speed in the open court. There is very little latency between flat footed to full speed for him. He also has a very good second jump. Essentially Barnes is a very good athlete who will only get more explosive under NBA level training. But when you look at Barnes in the open floor it’s like he was shot out of a cannon with the way he accelerates.

Your point about acceleration is a good one. Here is a great example: https://youtu.be/rluYbghaFxM?t=41

He's standing at the 3 pt line and once he sees the ball come off the rim he plants his left foot at the FT line extended and explodes to grab the rebound followed by a second jump to quickly dunk it. You can't do that if you aren't athletic.

To be honest, I'm not sure I've seen him try to break a guy down on the dribble, which is where I think people see his lack of freaky explosiveness (as you put it). He has a good handle but he doesn't seem to have advanced one-on-one moves. That's probably why in the half-court he is probing in a more controlled way and using his height to look for passing lanes. He also doesn't need crazy explosiveness because he uses his physical dominance to his advantage by either backing guys down or getting them on his hip and using his length to get past them.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,200

Post#1023 » by Dalek » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:57 pm

And1Skip wrote:
Dalek wrote:
anj wrote:
How dare you!

Okay, I will revise the statement. That has to be a first for Toronto since the era of fitted clothing.

LOL.....though DeMar, Kyle, Pascal all have shoe deals but they don't get their own signature shoe. When DeMar was here, he exclusively wore the Kobe line (probably his own preference as well).

I think you are definitely correct about Derozan. I do recall that he had a Kobe 1 Protro “DeMar DeRozan”. Not a signature, but a player edition in his last year with Toronto.

Kyle had something with Adidas, and did a Adidas Pro Bounce Low 2018 Kyle Lowry PE. He wears Harden's now.

Not sure if Pascal ever had a PE with Nike.

I guess what is interesting is that Barnes hasn't even played a game yet and he is getting an endorsement. It took our other players years to get that type of attention and contract.

/edit it is interesting to see how this draft class gets picked up by which show companies:

Barnes becomes the fourth member of the 2021 NBA Draft class to have signed an endorsement deal with Nike, joining No. 1 pick Cade Cunningham, No. 7 pick Jonathan Kuminga and No. 13 pick Chris Duarte.

No. 2 pick Jalen Green, No. 3 pick Evan Mobley and No. 5 pick Jalen Suggs, meanwhile, have reportedly signed with Adidas.

https://ca.nba.com/news/report-toronto-raptors-rookie-scottie-barnes-signs-endorsement-deal-with-nike/ax2jynz8w61w1vkb1hr2a77oh
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,331

Post#1024 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:26 pm

sMART ON Nike to add Barnes

Addidas took a good chunk
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,331

Post#1025 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:46 pm

And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,741

Post#1026 » by And1Skip » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:09 pm

Dalek wrote:
Barnes becomes the fourth member of the 2021 NBA Draft class to have signed an endorsement deal with Nike, joining No. 1 pick Cade Cunningham, No. 7 pick Jonathan Kuminga and No. 13 pick Chris Duarte.

No. 2 pick Jalen Green, No. 3 pick Evan Mobley and No. 5 pick Jalen Suggs, meanwhile, have reportedly signed with Adidas.

https://ca.nba.com/news/report-toronto-raptors-rookie-scottie-barnes-signs-endorsement-deal-with-nike/ax2jynz8w61w1vkb1hr2a77oh

Suggs with Adidas and Barnes with Nike? OK, I'm glad we drafted Barnes then :D
Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Post#1027 » by Young_Buc » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:29 pm

Dalek wrote:I am in a bit of shock, but it looks like Scottie Barnes has a Nike deal. That has to first for Toronto to have a top player signing a deal with a top three show company.

Read on Twitter

Nearly every lottery player has a shoe deal. Most don't have a signature shoe. I'd imagine 50% of the Raptor roster have shoe deals of some kind.
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#1028 » by 720 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:37 pm

Young_Buc wrote:
Dalek wrote:I am in a bit of shock, but it looks like Scottie Barnes has a Nike deal. That has to first for Toronto to have a top player signing a deal with a top three show company.

Read on Twitter

Nearly every lottery player has a shoe deal. Most don't have a signature shoe. I'd imagine 50% of the Raptor roster have shoe deals of some kind.

Yup, for example Siakam seems to wear only KD signature shoes. He for sure has a Nike deal.
Spicy P
RealGM
And1: 5,859

Post#1029 » by Spicy P » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:47 pm

Young_Buc wrote:

Read on Twitter

Even Matt Bonner had a shoe deal
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#1030 » by Madhouse » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:59 pm

That Orlando game at the end of October will be very interesting, lol
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#1031 » by navyblue » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:02 pm

And1Skip wrote:
Dalek wrote:

cade/barnes nike
jalen green/mobley/suggs addidas
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,646

Post#1032 » by Vampirate » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:46 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1380561-why-dallas-mavericks-rookie-jae-crowder-is-this-years-kawhi-leonard

I randomly found this article.

:lol:

Barnes probably doesn't have Kawhi's upside but the article here proclaiming crowder to be the next Kawhi is laughable.

Crowder never have the mobility, heights and especially wingspan that kawhi had. I've seen Crowder's rookie season highlights and Crowder could barely dunk as most were layups.

In order to be a superstar in the way Kawhi is you'd need to be able to easily dunk at will.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,235

Post#1033 » by PhilBlackson » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:55 pm

And1Skip wrote:
Dalek wrote:

"Checks over stripes, that's what we like"
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,200

Post#1034 » by Dalek » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:59 pm

Vampirate wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1380561-why-dallas-mavericks-rookie-jae-crowder-is-this-years-kawhi-leonard

Barnes probably doesn't have Kawhi's upside but the article here proclaiming crowder to be the next Kawhi is laughable.

Crowder never have the mobility, heights and especially wingspan that kawhi had. I've seen Crowder's rookie season highlights and Crowder could barely dunk as most were layups.

In order to be a superstar in the way Kawhi is you'd need to be able to easily dunk at will.

I don't know about dunking at will as being a determining factor for a superstar. I think it helps in a handful of situations. The most effective usage I have seen from Kawhi and other superstar forwards is the ability to get to your spots from mid-range. Kawhi can almost always get a clean look off. Barnes had a neat little turnaround jumper, but he doesn't have a bag of tricks.

Barnes has everything to work on, and I wouldn't expect that type of skill in year one or two. But, I will say that every level Barnes has figured out how to do well. Not sure if anyone envisioned Kawhi as a go to scorer when he came into the league, those big hands were their for defense and rebounding. But, like Kawhi, Barnes could make a leap given time and good coaching.
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,646

Post#1035 » by Vampirate » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:20 pm

Dalek wrote:
Vampirate wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1380561-why-dallas-mavericks-rookie-jae-crowder-is-this-years-kawhi-leonard

I don't know about dunking at will as being a determining factor for a superstar. I think it helps in a handful of situations. The most effective usage I have seen from Kawhi and other superstar forwards is the ability to get to your spots from mid-range. Kawhi can almost always get a clean look off. Barnes had a neat little turnaround jumper, but he doesn't have a bag of tricks.

Barnes has everything to work on, and I wouldn't expect that type of skill in year one or two. But, I will say that every level Barnes has figured out how to do well. Not sure if anyone envisioned Kawhi as a go to scorer when he came into the league, those big hands were their for defense and rebounding. But, like Kawhi, Barnes could make a leap given time and good coaching.

Well first of all, if you are in the paint, everyone would take a dunk attempt over a layup attempt.

Thing is though Kawhi for his size was a fluid athlete, and the bigger, longer and stronger you are, the less bag of tricks you need to get to your spots to get what you want.

Crowder was pretty stiff with his movements, even as a rookie, and didn't have the same physical toolset kawhi had.

For example, we've seen Siakam and OG dunk no problem.

I think Barnes has the fluidity and lengths to create space with the basketball, the question is will his handles and especially shooting come.

Tatum and especially Luka aren't world class athletes, but both are fluid athletes and can handle the ball plenty, and because they are both 6'8" can easily create space and are both obviously competent shooters.
lorax
Sixth Man
And1: 220

Post#1036 » by lorax » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:42 pm

Spicy P wrote:Even Matt Bonner had a shoe deal

Skechers?

Off topic: Tiny house for Matt
JYD wrote:Could someone summarize the nothingness please?
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,274

Post#1037 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:38 pm

djsunyc wrote:the issue with fans is that cade, green, mobley and suggs can hit shots. barnes cant right now so bc fans put such a high premium on scoring, it plays a major part in their projections.

Mobley can't hit shots either. Like Barnes, he will need 2-3 years to develop as well. And Suggs isn't an efficient scorer yet either.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#1038 » by Clay Davis » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:01 am

lorax wrote:
Spicy P wrote:Even Matt Bonner had a shoe deal

Skechers?

Off topic: Tiny house for Matt

I'm glad he's living somewhere where he could afford that with less than half his paycheque
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,658

Post#1039 » by hype_2004 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:03 am

Dalek wrote:

Let's see what Barnes is going for him
Athletic with 2.99 shuttle/10.88 lane agility/3.15 sprint and 39.5 max vertical
Freaky length = 7'3 wingspan/9'0 standing reach/10.5 inch hands
Strong body = Ripped 227 lbs

The skills will develop but this kid is freak of nature for his size, the measurements and athletic measureables are in the elite category
earth007
Junior
And1: 588

Post#1040 » by earth007 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:34 am

This is an insightful video about his shooting form. If this guy is right, he has got a bit of work to do to fix his shot.

Return to Toronto Raptors