Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,336

Re: What's The Starting Lineup Now? 

Post#21 » by Mavrelous » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:25 am

He'll be closing games like always.
This is not a championship team, this team lacks a 2nd star, even with 2020 form KP this isn't championship team, but to get the most wins out of the RS, you need to balance your lineups, for the 15 minutes Luka won't be playing per game, you need THJ with Brunson, otherwise your 2nd unit will be abysmally bad offensively.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#22 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:32 am

Teffer10 wrote:
KhalilS wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:I don't see the Mavs re-signing THJ to come off the bench.
Maxi and/or Powell starting would be a clear indicator that we haven't improved at all from last season.

My guess our SL from current roster:

Luka/THJ/Bullock/DFS/KP

I think of Bullock/DFS in the starting lineup similar as Maxi/DFS...simply can't start both and call yourself a contender.
Mayyyybe one of them but definitely not both in either scenario.

We definitely need to be shopping for a starting caliber PF.
Markkanen is probably the best prospect but I don't see a Markkanen/KP starting frontcourt working at all.

Trade Maxi for Markkanen and then shop KP/Brunson for another young player that would be a good fit with Markkanen in the frontcourt. In other words, put Markkanen in the Dirk role and go shopping for a Tyson Chandler type.

Luka/THJ/Markkanen and whatever we could net from a KP/Brunson trade could become a nice core to build around going forward.

THJ has the ability to hit contested shots, and has pull up game, he's the closes thing to shot creation Mavs have after Luka and Brunson, the rest of the team are spot up shooters on offense and 2 rolling bigs in WCS/Powell, it's much more balanced to have him off the bench with the 2nd unit, it worked extremely well last year.

Seems like a lot of money to pay a bench player which means we fill the rest of the SL with mere role players.
Like I said, you can't call yourself a championship caliber team if you have multiples of any of these guys (DFS, Bullock, Maxi, Powell, WCS) in your SL. THJ is a cut above those guys....at least the Mavs' FO seems to think so.

Trading Maxi for Markkanen would improve the SL situation but then you create a problem because there is too much correlation in the skillsets of KP and Markkanen. We'd have to package KP with someone like Brunson for another legit starter in order to move THJ to the bench imo.

I'm not opposed to THJ coming off the bench but when your 6th man is better than at least 60% of your SL there is a major problem with the team and holes need to be filled.

Right now I'd say Brunson is our 6th man and THJ is forced to be in the SL until the Mavs vastly improve it.

You are clearly right.
mpoo_sin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,128

Post#23 » by mpoo_sin » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:48 pm

I really believe that Dragic will join the team before the season starts and he ll come of the bench to take of pressure of Doncic.

SL i favor most looks like this:
Doncic, Hardaway, Bullock, Finney-Smith/Kleber, Porzingis
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#24 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:06 pm

Long-run investments can be made through the draft or with UDFAs and reclamation projects. If they make a trade during the season, then it better be to upgrade in the short-term.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:07 pm

KhalilS wrote:He'll be closing games like always.
This is not a championship team, this team lacks a 2nd star, even with 2020 form KP this isn't championship team, but to get the most wins out of the RS, you need to balance your lineups, for the 15 minutes Luka won't be playing per game, you need THJ with Brunson, otherwise your 2nd unit will be abysmally bad offensively.

Yeah, this team isn't a contender, just yet. Lauri and Dragic wouldn't change that either. The team needs bigger upgrades in the starting lineup than that tbh.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#26 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:29 am

I voted to say that I supported the trade to CHI for Kleber to get a younger big with bigger upside but clearly Kleber is a much better defender. I now am thinking we need to kep him and see what he can do w the bench and bring in Brown to start next to KP at least to start the season just to evaluate him and see how he does. If he shows similar consistancy to what he did in OKC we have a starter and then we got a tougher option in the beaver ah I mean the cleaver er Kleber. Besides, what kind of a name is lauri for a guy?

If there is not much drop off on shooting % when we bring in Bullock and Brown to rest DFS and THJ then we are solid at the 2 wings and with Luka the best PG in the league we are 1 through 3 solid on both the bench and the SL. If Brown and I am talking Moses shows he can double double here and we get old unicorn back to unicorning then who can beat that team if we have a bench that has 4 guys who are 40% three point shooters and defenders like Kleber, and whoever thou likest at the 5 becaause stretch big is a PF traditionally speaking and yu have any of Boban WCS and maybe even Powell if some injury bug goes nuts.

Brunson Brown and Bullock gives you the three Bees and if Boban is the 4th we have to change klebers nick name to Beaver and make it 5. Im just sayin!!!
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:34 am

https://vimeo.com/287164940 plus this needs to be klebers theme song and now we just need to figure out who we get to call Wally.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#28 » by jpengland » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:10 pm

KP is a five and shouldn't see anything but spots minutes next to a big.

Kleber is the natural fit at 4.

Pick any of our three wings alongside him. I'd go Luka, THJ and Bullock and bring THJ out first change to stagger him with second unit
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:49 am

jpengland wrote:KP is a five and shouldn't see anything but spots minutes next to a big.

Kleber is the natural fit at 4.

Pick any of our three wings alongside him. I'd go Luka, THJ and Bullock and bring THJ out first change to stagger him with second unit

There may be matchups where KP will start at the 4, but honestly, I think he'll be a 5 pretty much throughout the season. So I agree with you. KP, Kleber, Luka, THJ, and then take your pick between DFS and Bullock.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:49 pm

Boban and KP was pretty much what we saw in the play offs

so what position was Boban PF?

He was the 4th leading scorer and leading rebounder for us in the series w LA and he had 8 rebounds a game to Lukas 7.9 and KP w 5.4 rbs

Points wise Boban scored 11.8 to KP at 13.1 THJ w/ 17 and Luka at 35.7

Reality tells a very different story for how KP is being used and I do not see center being his position based on that usage
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#31 » by Mr B » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:15 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:07 am

All this improved 3 point shooting is going to be very nice and I approve of that move. We have starters that can also shoot the 3 well and so the mavs will be one of the better if not the top 3 point shooting team in the league. With that kind of fire power we just need an inside scoring attack to balance it out and as good as we are on offence we need to be that and more on D. You cant stand around yelling after you make a shot you got to get back and defend and I just hope our stars make serious attempts to grow on that side of the court so we can gel defensively.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:02 pm

Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope Sterling Brown gets consistent minutes. That'd be dope to see.
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 410

Post#34 » by boogiezen » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:16 pm

I really want THJ to come off the bench. Because he was effective with Brunson.

Luka
Bullock
DFS
Maxi
KP

2nd unit

Brunson
THJ
S. Brown/Green
Powell
M.Brown/WCS
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by SOUNDCHASER » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:19 am

Luka KP Moses THJ DFS
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#36 » by Mr B » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:48 am

boogiezen wrote:I really want THJ to come off the bench. Because he was effective with Brunson.

Luka
Bullock
DFS
Maxi
KP

2nd unit

Brunson
THJ
S. Brown/Green
Powell
M.Brown/WCS

It’s very likely we will THJ coming off the bench at some point this season. Well actually I think that depends on KP. If KP can be that 25/10 guy he’s capable of being then is very likely THJ gets moved to the bench. If KP is playing at that level he and Luka will be scoring most of the points in the starting lineup. THJ’s points and shots would be more effective coming off the bench with Brunson (or Dragic hopefully at some point).

Then having Maxi, DFS, and THJ as the other three starters. That would be a pretty solid mix of offense and defense. Especially if KP can be anywhere near the rim protected he was.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#37 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:08 am

The last 2 PO series proven that neither Maxi and DFS are contender starters, maybe 1 of them but with another star on the court(plus Luka and KP).
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#38 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:14 pm

With the news of Powell as the starting 5 and KO the starting 4, what do you see the rotation as? (I also presume this refers to offense, Powell should be guarding PF and KP the 5 IMO)

Starters Offense
G - Luka Doncic
G - Reggie Bullock
G - Tim Hardaway Jr
F - Kristaps Porzingis
C - Dwight Powell

Starters Defense
G - Reggie Bullock
G - Tim Hardaway Jr
F - Luka Doncic
F - Dwight Powell
C - Kristaps Porzingis

Rotation Simplified
G - Reggie Bullock / Jalen Brunson / Trey Burke
G - Tim Hardaway Jr / Sterling Brown / Josh Green
F - Luka Doncic / Dorian Finney-Smith
F - Kristaps Porzingis / Maxi Kleber / Willey Caulie-Stein
C - Dwight Powell / Moses Brown / Boban Marjanovic

I see something like that.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,923

Post#39 » by Archx » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:04 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:With the news of Powell as the starting 5 and KO the starting 4, what do you see the rotation as? (I also presume this refers to offense, Powell should be guarding PF and KP the 5 IMO)

Starters Offense
G - Luka Doncic
G - Reggie Bullock
G - Tim Hardaway Jr
F - Kristaps Porzingis
C - Dwight Powell

Starters Defense
G - Reggie Bullock
G - Tim Hardaway Jr
F - Luka Doncic
F - Dwight Powell
C - Kristaps Porzingis

Rotation Simplified
G - Reggie Bullock / Jalen Brunson / Trey Burke
G - Tim Hardaway Jr / Sterling Brown / Josh Green
F - Luka Doncic / Dorian Finney-Smith
F - Kristaps Porzingis / Maxi Kleber / Willey Caulie-Stein
C - Dwight Powell / Moses Brown / Boban Marjanovic

I see something like that.

Right now, Kidd said DFS, Timmy, Powell, KP and Luka will start, but things can still change.

I don't understand why THJ is not going back to being the extra scoring punch as the 6th guy and let Bullock handle 3&D duties in the starting lineup along with DFS. I also don't think Powell improved so drastically that he deserves to start. They're rolling with the same unit as RIck did and hoping it will work better. I don't buy it.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,336

Post#40 » by Mavrelous » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:47 pm

Yeah THJ is much better suited off the bench, DFS and Reggie should start.
WCS is the odd man out, I don't see where he fits.
I'd give the Powell/KP a try, they complete each other well.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down

Return to Dallas Mavericks