ImageImageImageImageImage

2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

PT416
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,243

Re: 2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#1821 » by PT416 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:17 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
PT416 wrote:
inrapscity wrote:Trade's brewing. No mention of Gary Trent Jr as part of future in Masai's interview.

Gary Trent + Dragic for?

Would be a dream come true. 35 million package for both of them combined. Perfect for bringing in a disgruntled all-star.

Trent + Dragic + (Boucher) 1st + (2nd) for _________

Leaves us with:
Fred
Siakam
Barnes
OG
_________
Birch
Flynn
Achiuwa
Watanabe

While I am of the belief that Masai overpaid for GTJ and he should be traded, I would imagine teams around the league would want to see him play before agreeing to take on that much money, much less send assets back in return.

On the other hand, if we're truly rebuilding, we should hang onto him unless a) his value tanks or b) we get a godfather offer.

So you see, either way we slice this, he's going to need to suit up for us. We can re-assess after that.

Agreed. I meant maybe midway through the season, depending on his improvement as well. Hopefully he becomes a lot better and has enough value that we can keep winning pieces like Boucher out of the trade. I feel like midway through the season the verdict will be out on Beal as well as to whether he's staying or wants out. Interesting position it puts us in. I love the fact that we have a method to our madness and give out these types of contracts to players who can be moved down the line.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,722

Post#1822 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:52 pm

Per Marc Stein.
One more Lakers roster note: I’m hearing that Marc Gasol is not a lock to return to the Lakers, even after Gasol said following Spain’s quarterfinal loss to the United States in the Olympics that he intends to play out the final year of the two-year deal he signed with Los Angeles. It’s not yet clear if that means Gasol is poised to be set free to play elsewhere in the NBA or if he would ultimately opt to finish his career in his home country like brother Pau.

https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-rumors-marc-gasols-la-roster-spot-in-flux/
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,025

Post#1823 » by NotMyKawhi » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:31 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Per Marc Stein.
One more Lakers roster note: I’m hearing that Marc Gasol is not a lock to return to the Lakers, even after Gasol said following Spain’s quarterfinal loss to the United States in the Olympics that he intends to play out the final year of the two-year deal he signed with Los Angeles. It’s not yet clear if that means Gasol is poised to be set free to play elsewhere in the NBA or if he would ultimately opt to finish his career in his home country like brother Pau.

he was horrible last year

Not surprised they don't want him
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,443

Post#1824 » by Morris_Shatford » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:49 pm

inrapscity wrote:Trade's brewing. No mention of Gary Trent Jr as part of future in Masai's interview.

Gary Trent + Dragic for?

Since GTJ re-signed this summer, I was of the impression we cant trade him till December 15th 2021 at the earliest?
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,426

Post#1825 » by mtcan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:52 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Per Marc Stein.

Bring home BeerPapi. Keep him around just to torment Embiid and Vuc.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,443

Post#1826 » by Morris_Shatford » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:04 pm

I love Gasol,
But if he gets waived he is likely going home and if he doesn't I don't want to ruin all the positive memories I have of him during his season and a half in Toronto by watching a version which is significantly less than try and run around for us for now.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Fast_Feets
Starter
And1: 359

Post#1827 » by Fast_Feets » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:08 am

The bulls got a huge steal in undrafted Troy Baxter Jr.

Would have been a better choice of David Johnson.

Dude fits the mould. 6ft9 with 7ft2 wingspan. massive bounce and gets after it defensively on blocks.

https://morganstatebears.com/news/2021/8/1/mens-basketball-bulls-sign-undrafted-free-agent-troy-baxter-jr.aspx

Video of predraft tampa bay pro combine
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#1828 » by Asif16 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:00 am

When Masai and Bobby mentioned "Opportunistic Trades"....I def think they wanna use Gary Trent and Chris Boucher as the main pieces for an All-Star level player if they become available.

Masai is banking on Gary taking a leap of some sorts and his young age being a factor in any main package.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#1829 » by tecumseh18 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:05 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:I love Gasol,
But if he gets waived he is likely going home and if he doesn't I don't want to ruin all the positive memories I have of him during his season and a half in Toronto by watching a version which is significantly less than try and run around for us for now.

How can Raps go into next season without one sizeable C on the roster? And/or without a C who can reliably hit the 3/space the floor? That was a major key to the championship.

Unless the intention is to tank, I just don't see it. Freddie G. has to go, and if Marc is willing to come back for the vet min, then by all means bring him in. Or Hartenstein. Or ... Boogie?
OhCanada1091
Veteran
And1: 2,122

Post#1830 » by OhCanada1091 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:34 pm

Raps1103 wrote:
OhCanada1091 wrote:
c3luong wrote:
Fox has a decent chance of getting better than Siakam.

(He probably also has a decent chance of never getting there - will depend if he ever decides to start playing defense)

Right but they aren't trading Fox. To even think he's in conversations is ridiculous.

Not as ridiculous as the raps trading our all nba 2nd team, all star !

I agree. Siakam is one of the best and most versatile players in the league coming off a bad season. Not even close to his prime and people wanna trade him because they are bored and cant wait for the season to start. :lol:
OhCanada1091
Veteran

Post#1831 » by OhCanada1091 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:36 pm

Fast_Feets wrote:The bulls got a huge steal in undrafted Troy Baxter Jr.

Dude fits the mould. 6ft9 with 7ft2 wingspan. massive bounce and gets after it defensively on blocks.

https://morganstatebears.com/news/2021/8/1/mens-basketball-bulls-sign-undrafted-free-agent-troy-baxter-jr.aspx

Watched him play in the tampa combine. It was the lower level combine. The guy made some insane plays normal NBA players just cant make. He's an older guy so he got slept on but he's got ELITE athleticism and enough skill to make it matter. Since this board loves Raptors references he's kinda like Jamario Moon.
OhCanada1091
Veteran

Post#1832 » by OhCanada1091 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:40 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:

How can Raps go into next season without one sizeable C on the roster? And/or without a C who can reliably hit the 3/space the floor? That was a major key to the championship.

Unless the intention is to tank, I just don't see it. Freddie G. has to go, and if Marc is willing to come back for the vet min, then by all means bring him in. Or Hartenstein. Or ... Boogie?

I'm pretty sure Dragic to Dallas is a go and we will get Moses Brown in return. Dallas has to make Doncic happy and if it means giving up on Brown to play with his guy then I think they eventually do that. Masai just has to tell Goran "Sorry but Dallas doesn't wanna traded Moses Brown for you". Then they would have to sit down with Luka and explain why lol.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,662

Post#1833 » by Zeno » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:59 pm

Gasol would either go to the Clippers if he wants to stay in LA or straight to Miami to play with Kyle if brought out. Or he leaves for Spain. Coming here would shock me.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
tecumseh18
RealGM

Post#1834 » by tecumseh18 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:32 pm

OhCanada1091 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

I'm pretty sure Dragic to Dallas is a go and we will get Moses Brown in return. Dallas has to make Doncic happy and if it means giving up on Brown to play with his guy then I think they eventually do that. Masai just has to tell Goran "Sorry but Dallas doesn't wanna traded Moses Brown for you". Then they would have to sit down with Luka and explain why lol.

Moses Brown went undrafted in 2019. He didn't stick with Portland after his rookie year. Apart from helping OKC to (unsuccessfully) tank last season, what has he accomplished in his brief career in the NBA to merit being worth giving up Dragic for? Dragic and, say, Hartenstein makes the Raps a pretty good team.

But if the plan is to tank, then sure, bring in Brown.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,866

Post#1835 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:43 pm

Asif16 wrote:When Masai and Bobby mentioned "Opportunistic Trades"....I def think they wanna use Gary Trent and Chris Boucher as the main pieces for an All-Star level player if they become available.

Masai is banking on Gary taking a leap of some sorts and his young age being a factor in any main package.

That kind of opportunity in terms of timing is at least two years in the future.
OhCanada1091
Veteran

Post#1836 » by OhCanada1091 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:16 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
OhCanada1091 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

Moses Brown went undrafted in 2019. He didn't stick with Portland after his rookie year. Apart from helping OKC to (unsuccessfully) tank last season, what has he accomplished in his brief career in the NBA to merit being worth giving up Dragic for? Dragic and, say, Hartenstein makes the Raps a pretty good team.

But if the plan is to tank, then sure, bring in Brown.

His development track has been very similar to what Toronto has done to develop its players. He spent a full season in the G League and got called up mid second season after averaging 18 points and 14 rebounds in 26 minutes per game. He gets a little bit bigger every year, a little bit stonger and a bit smarter. He's 22 and he dominated games last year, not because of filling up stats on a trash team...Its because he's tall and works harder than other players, and thats always going to be the case. Trust me. We want Brown on $2 mil a year for the next 3 seasons with bird rights

His free throw shooting has improved dramatically and he shows signs of being a tireless worker. 35% in college to 61% last year.
Fast_Feets
Starter
And1: 359

Post#1837 » by Fast_Feets » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:15 am

OhCanada1091 wrote:

Watched him play in the tampa combine. It was the lower level combine. The guy made some insane plays normal NBA players just cant make. He's an older guy so he got slept on but he's got ELITE athleticism and enough skill to make it matter. Since this board loves Raptors references he's kinda like Jamario Moon.

Jamario moon was only a dunker. Aside from that he was terrible at everything else. This guy looks like he can defend and block shots and has a semblance of a wing game. Hopefully the bulls let him go and the raps can pick him up. He would ge a great guy to groom on the 905 and Bring up. I would think he can bring more to the table than Watanabe or Boucher with the right raptor magic.
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,117

Post#1838 » by billy_hoyle » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:44 pm

Fast_Feets wrote:
OhCanada1091 wrote:

Jamario moon was only a dunker. Aside from that he was terrible at everything else. This guy looks like he can defend and block shots and has a semblance of a wing game. Hopefully the bulls let him go and the raps can pick him up. He would ge a great guy to groom on the 905 and Bring up. I would think he can bring more to the table than Watanabe or Boucher with the right raptor magic.

Jamario moon was only a dunker AT the NBA level in competitive games. That said, even he showed flashes of doing other things at the NBA level. It's hard to do those things consistently at the highest level.

You keep making posts where you take fringe prospects skill sets, as seen in highlight videos playing against inferior competition (like the 2nd grade combine), and make claims that those skills/production will likely translate to the pros.

That's historically not been the case. You get that right? You need to account for the level of competition.
tecumseh18
RealGM

Post#1839 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:13 pm

Read on Twitter

The more I think about it, the more I realize Trent Jr is not a Raptor for the long term. If he shows anything in the first few months of the season, short of being a complete untradeable stud, he'll be gone in a deal like this.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,236

Post#1840 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:31 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:

We just extended Birch and traded for Precious. Our C rotation is set.

Return to Toronto Raptors