ImageImageImageImageImage

2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,093

Re: 2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#1841 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:51 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:I love Gasol,
But if he gets waived he is likely going home and if he doesn't I don't want to ruin all the positive memories I have of him during his season and a half in Toronto by watching a version which is significantly less than try and run around for us for now.

How can Raps go into next season without one sizeable C on the roster? And/or without a C who can reliably hit the 3/space the floor? That was a major key to the championship.

Unless the intention is to tank, I just don't see it. Freddie G. has to go, and if Marc is willing to come back for the vet min, then by all means bring him in. Or Hartenstein. Or ... Boogie?

We just extended Birch and traded for Precious. Our C rotation is set.

So the undersized third string Cs for the Heat and the Magic last season are our two rotation Cs?

OK.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,373

Post#1842 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:06 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
How can Raps go into next season without one sizeable C on the roster? And/or without a C who can reliably hit the 3/space the floor? That was a major key to the championship.

Unless the intention is to tank, I just don't see it. Freddie G. has to go, and if Marc is willing to come back for the vet min, then by all means bring him in. Or Hartenstein. Or ... Boogie?

So the undersized third string Cs for the Heat and the Magic last season are our two rotation Cs?

OK.

We Wouldn't have acquired/signed them if that wasn't the plan. And they're far from undersized. Sure they won't be able to shut down Embiid like Gasol did, but there aren't many Embiids in the league.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,621

Post#1843 » by Bruin » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:43 pm

For the right price, I can see us making a move for him. Fits the mold of players we’re after and he’s still super young

Read on Twitter
?s=21
gbball
Starter
And1: 2,289

Post#1844 » by gbball » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:31 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

OK.

Too bad you would have passed on picking up a young Ben Wallace based on how he started his career. It's not where you start, it's where you finish.
Federalies
Rookie
And1: 1,424

Post#1845 » by Federalies » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:40 am

tecumseh18 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

OK.

So you mean the player the Magic started over Mo Bamba, after they traded Vucevic, and the Heat’s 2020 First Round draft pick who’d been mocked as high as 9th just before the draft (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiXi6CJgcbyAhXCct8KHWovBiYQFnoECB0QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nbcsports.com%2Fwashington%2Fwizards%2F2020-nba-mock-draft-140-final-edition&usg=AOvVaw3KC05lx8t69rQI7On9YPz_)?
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,168

Post#1846 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:27 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

6'8"-6'9" guy but only 6'11" wingspan - doesn't make the cut.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#1847 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:39 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:I love Gasol,
But if he gets waived he is likely going home and if he doesn't I don't want to ruin all the positive memories I have of him during his season and a half in Toronto by watching a version which is significantly less than try and run around for us for now.

I value Gasol's 3PT shot which still appears to be largely present;
Its the rest of the game he once had which I am not confident he still has based on his place last season.

If he was waived by the Lakers are willing to come to Toronto for the Vet Min?
Why not.

I just have zero interest in moving anything that resembles an asset to the Lakers to get him here.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#1848 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:03 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

:lol:
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,710

Post#1849 » by Kurtz » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:21 pm

PrinceAli wrote:For the right price, I can see us making a move for him. Fits the mold of players we’re after and he’s still super young

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I'd love to take a shot at this guy in our development system. He makes $3.6m...we have $1.5 mil trade exemptions from the Matt Thomas and Davis trades. I believe trade exemptions can be combined.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,565

Post#1850 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:37 pm

Kurtz wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:For the right price, I can see us making a move for him. Fits the mold of players we’re after and he’s still super young

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I'd love to take a shot at this guy in our development system. He makes $3.6m...we have $1.5 mil trade exemptions from the Matt Thomas and Davis trades. I believe trade exemptions can be combined.

I'm pretty sure you can't combine tpes

In Raptor Ball I Trust
jindy20
Junior
And1: 345

Post#1851 » by jindy20 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:44 pm

while im OK with a center rotation of Birch/Precious, it would be pretty shocking not to have a traditional big on the roster. Freddie G is also undersized (he will have trouble making the team I think after his summer league). I definitely think we need to add a 7 footer of some kind for specific matchups
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,710

Post#1852 » by Kurtz » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:58 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Kurtz wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I'm pretty sure you can't combine tpes

This is what I'm going off of, although "added together" is a bit ambiguous:

SALARY CAP EXCEPTIONS
The following are the exceptions to the salary cap that allow a team’s payroll (i.e., its team salary) to exceed the salary sap. Of all the exceptions, only the Traded Player Exception can be added together to acquire players in a simultaneous transaction
(i.e., the same transaction).

https://cbabreakdown.com/salary-cap-exceptions
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#1853 » by navyblue » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:01 pm

Kurtz wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

cant combine exemptions of any kind.

but we do have a tpe from kyle trade that would fit seku.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#1854 » by agkagk » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:24 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

OK.

We’re in asset accumulation mode.

Face it, on paper we’re a mid to late lottery team that will probably overachieve and flirt with a 500 record and the 8th seed.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#1855 » by hyper316 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:26 pm

[instagram]
[/instagram]
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Grow those finger nails
OhCanada1091
Veteran
And1: 2,122

Post#1856 » by OhCanada1091 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:04 am

jindy20 wrote:while im OK with a center rotation of Birch/Precious, it would be pretty shocking not to have a traditional big on the roster. Freddie G is also undersized (he will have trouble making the team I think after his summer league). I definitely think we need to add a 7 footer of some kind for specific matchups

I think we are trading Dragic for Moses Brown. But right now I'm thinking the issue is that Dallas does not want to trade both Powell (best matching salary) and Brown and be left without depth at the Center position. I also don't think Toronto wants Powell (despite being Canadian and coached by Nurse). So in order to make the trade without trading Powell Dallas has to use their 10.9 mil Trade Exception and find a player another team is willing to dump.

Problem with that is all the players with salaries in that range are either good value players or on longterm deals...Toronto would more than likely be looking to just pick up an expiring contract and release that player. I've scoured through the salaries to see if theres any fits for this scenerio and the only one I can think of is Jeremy Lamb. He had an off season last year, was injury prone, and Indiana drafted a player at his position (Chris Duarte). Indiana is also over the luxary tax threshold so making this trade would get them under. They also need to cut a player from their team before entering regular season.

So the proposed deal would be.

Indiana Pacers get Dallas $10.9 Mil TE

Toronto Raptors get Moses Brown, Jeremy Lamb (released), Willie Caulie Stein (released) and Trey Burke (released)

Dallas Mavericks get Goran Dragic
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,289

Post#1857 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:44 pm

OhCanada1091 wrote:
jindy20 wrote:while im OK with a center rotation of Birch/Precious, it would be pretty shocking not to have a traditional big on the roster. Freddie G is also undersized (he will have trouble making the team I think after his summer league). I definitely think we need to add a 7 footer of some kind for specific matchups

I think we are trading Dragic for Moses Brown. But right now I'm thinking the issue is that Dallas does not want to trade both Powell (best matching salary) and Brown and be left without depth at the Center position. I also don't think Toronto wants Powell (despite being Canadian and coached by Nurse). So in order to make the trade without trading Powell Dallas has to use their 10.9 mil Trade Exception and find a player another team is willing to dump.

Problem with that is all the players with salaries in that range are either good value players or on longterm deals...Toronto would more than likely be looking to just pick up an expiring contract and release that player. I've scoured through the salaries to see if theres any fits for this scenerio and the only one I can think of is Jeremy Lamb. He had an off season last year, was injury prone, and Indiana drafted a player at his position (Chris Duarte). Indiana is also over the luxary tax threshold so making this trade would get them under. They also need to cut a player from their team before entering regular season.

Toronto Raptors get Moses Brown, Jeremy Lamb (released), Willie Caulie Stein (released) and Trey Burke (released)

That's still illegal for Dallas. you're combining the tpe w/ WCS and burke, which you cant do
OhCanada1091
Veteran
And1: 2,122

Post#1858 » by OhCanada1091 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:13 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
OhCanada1091 wrote:

That's still illegal for Dallas. you're combining the tpe w/ WCS and burke, which you cant do

Huh? Can't they trade the tpe for Lamb and then redirect Lamb to Toronto?
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,289

Post#1859 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:14 pm

OhCanada1091 wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
OhCanada1091 wrote:I think we are trading Dragic for Moses Brown. But right now I'm thinking the issue is that Dallas does not want to trade both Powell (best matching salary) and Brown and be left without depth at the Center position. I also don't think Toronto wants Powell (despite being Canadian and coached by Nurse). So in order to make the trade without trading Powell Dallas has to use their 10.9 mil Trade Exception and find a player another team is willing to dump.

Huh? Can't they trade the tpe for Lamb and then redirect Lamb to Toronto?

Can't combine Lamb with other players for 2 months
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#1860 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:16 pm

I need someone to help me understand the fascination with Sekou Doumbouya?

Return to Toronto Raptors