ImageImageImageImage

Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,125

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#121 » by pepe1991 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:50 am

basketballRob wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
That is what he signed for with 2nd year as a team option.

Moritz can exchange to Brazilian money to get to 10 million
I'm wrong every few years. Lol. Seriously I think he can be a Olynyk type player with regular rotational minutes. Not sure he'll get them here or not tho.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app

He can't defend and can't shoot. Kelly has been both ends of the floor positive for whole career.

You thought he will get $10M guaraneed, he signed below vets minimum
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,604

Post#122 » by RookieStar » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:51 am

basketballRob wrote:
Knightro wrote:Some of y'all were really blowing my mind suggesting Moe Wagner could get $10M to $15M, or even get multiple guaranteed years.
I still think he's a better player than people here say. I mean I've heard that he's an awful player, and that's not true.

As i said, if a 6'9 Center (Birch) without any offensive moves except setting hard screens can make it in this league due to hard work, then I dont see why MoW can't if he puts in the samr type of effort. i mean he already is a better player than Birch when we first got them both comparison-wise.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,492

Post#123 » by Bergmaniac » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:58 am

I am shocked that he couldn't get a bigger contract after he was cut mid-season by one of the teams with worst centre rotation in the league and then had 3 good offensive games for a tanking team while playing terrible D and posting horrendous on/off numbers.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#124 » by drsd » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:01 am

M-Wagner's career averages are 7/1/3 on 15 mpg. If he gets that stat-line this year in an efficient manner, this is an excellent contract for Orlando.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#125 » by pepe1991 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:11 am

Mo Wagner for Boston had some epic numbers.
9 games played, TS 37%, BPM -11,5

He is what he is. Challenged nba big who isn't mobile to cover PFs and lacks talent to play full time center.

He was fine at college because college allowed him to camp inside paint on defense and he could shoot a little bit.

In nba he does not have nba range and every other aspect of his game is exposed.

And his existence and suckingness in nba does not give me too much confidence about Franz, i'll just have healthy amount of reservation what role Franz can actually play in nba. But i think there are huge aspects of Franz game from college, that simply won't translate in nba, such are passing or any ballhandling.
drsd
RealGM

Post#126 » by drsd » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:21 am

RookieStar wrote:As i said, if a 6'9 Center (Birch) without any offensive moves except setting hard screens can make it in this league due to hard work, then I dont see why MoW can't if he puts in the samr type of effort. i mean he already is a better player than Birch when we first got them both comparison-wise.

M-Wagner is 6′ 10.5” barefoot, 6′ 11.5” in shoes. He is a good passer, adequate rebounder and has capacity to stretch the floor. At a LLE level for this 23 yo, one must be ecstatic. Really I would think all 30 NBA teams would have him on their roster at this contract level. So Orlando is clearly pleased he inked here (for obvious reasons).
drsd
RealGM

Post#127 » by drsd » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:26 am

pepe1991 wrote:He is what he is. Challenged nba big who isn't mobile to cover PFs and lacks talent to play full time center.

He was fine at college because college allowed him to camp inside paint on defense and he could shoot a little bit.

In nba he does not have nba range and every other aspect of his game is exposed.

For me I am not sure that Moe Wagner is that different than Frank Kaminsky. These sorts of players might more helpful on the practice squad than on the court.

I do like that M-Wagner has emergency starting games under his belt.
If the team again finds the Magic Injury bug, M-Wagner would need to play big minutes. Here is hoping that that never happens and that he gets 3rd string minutes only from players being in foul trouble (or in blown-out wins :wink: ) .

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,908

Post#128 » by Knightro » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:21 pm

If Moe Wagner's 3PT shooting (16-43, .372% with Orlando) is actually developing and is not just small sample size noise, then he has a chance to stick around the league as a stretch big.

Otherwise, he's pretty much just a guy.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#129 » by zaymon » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:42 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Mo Wagner for Boston had some epic numbers.

He is what he is. Challenged nba big who isn't mobile to cover PFs and lacks talent to play full time center.

And his existence and suckingness in nba does not give me too much confidence about Franz, i'll just have healthy amount of reservation what role Franz can actually play in nba. But i think there are huge aspects of Franz game from college, that simply won't translate in nba, such are passing or any ballhandling.

Boston was a mess last year, they dont have any real passers so most of bigs will look bad there. Wagner played 61 minutes there so i dont think sample size big enough to draw conclusions.
In Washington Mo played 1210 minutes and had TS 60%+.
If Moe Wagner shoots the 3 like he did with us (and its likely becouse he has 81,7 ft% in his carrier) he will be good backup for years. Bertans got 16M a year (which was insane), worse shooting but better overall version for minimum doesnt sounds that bad.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#130 » by Skybox » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:19 pm

Knightro wrote:If Moe Wagner's 3PT shooting (16-43, .372% with Orlando) is actually developing and is not just small sample size noise, then he has a chance to stick around the league as a stretch big.

Exactly...This is no risk...he's the 4th Center and 4th PF on a bad team (with a lot of injury history). He'd be buried deep on a better team, but he has a chance in ORL to show something. If he goes crazy, he gets more PT and becomes a revelation or trade chip. In the meantime, can't hurt that there's a good comfort dynamic for his higher-expectation younger brother coming into the big bad NBA. Wouldn't keep him just for the brother thing, but there may be more to his game and the price point is a no-brainer.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#131 » by basketballRob » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:19 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:I am shocked that he couldn't get a bigger contract after he was cut mid-season by one of the teams with worst centre rotation in the league and then had 3 good offensive games for a tanking team while playing terrible D and posting horrendous on/off numbers.
I don't think he'll make it as a center.

OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#132 » by OrlandO » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:13 pm

He was probably only re-signed because we invested a lottery pick in his 19 year old brother. Moritz will help guide Franz off the court.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,714

Post#133 » by MoMM » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:59 pm

OrlandO wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Can't imagine him signing for that. I think he gets at least 10m guaranteed.

That is what he signed for with 2nd year as a team option.

Moritz can exchange to Brazilian money to get to 10 million

Not a bad idea, he would be able to buy a really nice house and do not work anymore :lol:
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,604

Post#134 » by RookieStar » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:14 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Bergmaniac wrote:I am shocked that he couldn't get a bigger contract after he was cut mid-season by one of the teams with worst centre rotation in the league and then had 3 good offensive games for a tanking team while playing terrible D and posting horrendous on/off numbers.
I don't think he'll make it as a center.

If Birch can, Mo can as well...
drsd
RealGM

Post#135 » by drsd » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:49 am

RookieStar wrote:If Birch can, Mo can as well...

For me M-Wagner is a proven NBA-calibre of player. He is a 10-13 man on essentially any NBA roster, and that places him at about the 300th best basketball player in the world.

Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#136 » by Horcy » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:18 pm

drsd wrote:

For me M-Wagner is a proven NBA-calibre of player. He is a 10-13 man on essentially any NBA roster, and that places him at about the 300th best basketball player in the world.

I Totally agree with this. He has shown to be also very consistent. This is a very good deal for the Magic
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#137 » by pepe1991 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:18 am

zaymon wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Mo Wagner for Boston had some epic numbers.

Boston was a mess last year, they dont have any real passers so most of bigs will look bad there. Wagner played 61 minutes there so i dont think sample size big enough to draw conclusions.
In Washington Mo played 1210 minutes and had TS 60%+.
If Moe Wagner shoots the 3 like he did with us (and its likely becouse he has 81,7 ft% in his carrier) he will be good backup for years. Bertans got 16M a year (which was insane), worse shooting but better overall version for minimum doesnt sounds that bad.

Mo hasn't been good anywhere tho. He arived in nba in 2018-19, and here we are, three years later, and he is already making less than vets minimum and is only kept in nba due fact his brother is lottery pick.
He might be better suited for Euro style basketball.
drsd
RealGM

Post#138 » by drsd » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:36 am

pepe1991 wrote:Mo hasn't been good anywhere tho. He arived in nba in 2018-19, and here we are, three years later, and he is already making less than vets minimum and is only kept in nba due fact his brother is lottery pick.
He might be better suited for Euro style basketball.

How do you define "good"?

Wagner is one of the better perennial 3rd stringers of the NBA. I would rather he is in Magic pin-stripes over Bacon, for example.
A larger argument could be Ennis, but the cost lines still favour M-Wagner, as Ennis is either going to want another 3M contract or he will go to the Lakers on the LLE to chase a ring. (That said, M-Wagner would also be a good Lakers fit in my opinion).

MoMM
RealGM

Post#139 » by MoMM » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:46 am

drsd wrote:

So all of the best players play in the NBA? No one in Europe?
MoMM
RealGM

Post#140 » by MoMM » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:49 am

Knightro wrote:If Moe Wagner's 3PT shooting (16-43, .372% with Orlando) is actually developing and is not just small sample size noise, then he has a chance to stick around the league as a stretch big.

He shoot around 40% for Germany during Pre-Olympic and Olympic games. 3pt line is closer there, but at least shows he has same range.

Return to Orlando Magic