ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: The Official COVID/Omicron Variant+ thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,642

OT: The Official COVID/Omicron Variant+ thread 

Post#1 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:44 am

We can post all our health-related data and concerns here, assuming this is okay with the mods.

Wingo ain't going on no airplanes or staying in any hotel/motel. No movie theaters or outdoor concerts either. And I'm masked up again when I go indoor shopping at the supermarket. FUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

I'll go first. This azzhat (Mr. "Be Hard To Kill") decides to walk into a store without a mask even though this business has a mask rule.

Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,642

Re: OT: The Official COVID/Delta Variant+ thread 

Post#2 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:43 am

Okay, I think I found the video which explains the mass psychosis that we're seeing today here an around the world. It's actually been around for awhile but I believe Putin is pushing buttons behind the curtain to move things along.

"The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Whoever can supply them w/ illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is easily their victim."

-Gustav Le Bon

Free Palestine
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,307

Post#3 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:46 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Okay, I think I found the video which explains the mass psychosis that we're seeing today here an around the world. It's actually been around for awhile but I believe Putin is pushing buttons behind the curtain to move things along.

"The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Whoever can supply them w/ illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is easily their victim."

-Gustav Le Bon

That's a good video. The best, most hilarious part? Watch it and then read the comments section where right of center people believe it's all about the leftists and leftists believe it's all the the rightists.
Which normally, I'd get that groups are going to do that, but right after THAT video?
It's hopeless
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,307

Post#4 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:33 am

American has it's exceptionalism but also has a long streak of stubborn stupidity, from the jump. I'd guess that understandable in a country mostly founded on the ability to be free - the whole slave thing notwithstanding.

The right and left generally have their specific flavors of stupidity - along with their good points or points of disagreement. And normally, that would be ok.

I'd agree with the Putin take, that he's helping to push this kind of thing along, and of course it's true, to an extent.

What I think is that you have a society where the power and the government is largely - but not completely - captured by a corporate/elite ruling class, combined with an almost completely hollowed out left wing - in terms of setting real political agenda.

That dominant group, in pursuit of their interests, have continued to squeeze the poor, who no one in this country ever truly gave a sh*t about anyway, but then turned their attention to the working middle and middle class. In terms of capturing their remaining money and power. Is this situation absolute? No. Can someone still "make it" and do ok in this country? Sure. It's that the opportunities are getting narrower and the squeeze is on.

Here's the tie in to the video. And it's not clear to me how much this is "organized". I'd go with "loosely organized" but still specifically organized.

If the entire ruling structure of the country is effectively "right wing" - and by that I mean beholden to business, where both parties eagerly accept money and then influence from banks, hedge funds, energy, insurance, pharma etc, there isn't that much to REALLY argue over. So, in the interest of chasing votes - which politicians are going to do, all the politics is reduced to wedge issues, which are political, but not always the meat of how resources are divided, and encouraging and overamplifying the "social - political" issues.

Now, I think the Republican party is more guilty of at LEAST initially pushing the culture wars narrative for political gain, but whether copying, by design, or the fact that there is good TV/Cable/WWW money in it, the "left" engages in quite a bit of this as well now.

So what we are left with, what stands for "politics" for most people, is a very simplified, kind of ignorant, highly charged, identity kind of politics - and I don't mean "Identity Politics", but a form of politics where people's social beliefs are too tied up with their simplified political beliefs. Like, extra invested in the simple ideas but actually less involved and informed over the broader issues.

So, if there is a generalized "Venn Diagram Ruling Class", it has a general but specific agenda, and it wants to maintain that, what will it do, besides doing the things that already helped it gain power and maintain it - which is spreading the money around in the proper political and social places, controlling the right levers etc? Well, it needs to keep the masses distracted, entertained, and at each other's neck.

And that's where we are today. From even well before this video, I've thought "We are in the middle of a disinformation campaign"
And since it's America, and we are exceedingly good at communications, PR, media, and also a relatively educated and sophisticated society, with large resources, it's never going to be exactly clear who is running it. And none of this is "100%" and it's not "Nazi Germany!" or "COMMUNISM - IT'S LIKE THE USSR!" but the wingnuts aren't completely off the mark that there is something amiss - which is a version of what lefties - or what is left of them (lolz) have been saying for a while as well.

I'm not going to go down the rabbit hole of pointing the finger at the CIA, but the disinformation campaign has it's similarities to their techniques of seeding stories, having just enough control over the various narratives through the choice of the correct allies in the various forms of communication. I'd say the way to view it is that the CIA developed techniques that weren't even it's own, regarding manipulation, refined them, and then they were improved upon again, and that it now only takes a smallish group of people to lever pull another group of people who provide the manipulation that keeps the hate and distraction flowing.
Think of it as a strong forest fire/controlled burn, which needs assistance at times, but then hits a point where it's largely self sustaining and needs only occasional intervention to keep it stoked hot.

Oh, so Putin\Russia will inject disinformation into the disinformation cycle to keep the country off balance, hope to weaken it etc, but as is generally the case, that's always taking advantage of the issues that already exist, not create them.

It's funny how often both "sides" of the political divide miss the forest for the trees.

Oh, and this is the most overtly political I'll get here, but Trump wasn't the hero at the end of this narrative. He's just a greedy, meme driven ahole from NYC, who understood from late 70's NYC that media could be manipulated to his advantage. It's no coincidence that Madonna and Trump emerge from basically the same place and time. Because Trump is effectively an idiot who thrives using sound bite schoolyard putdowns, he was the perfect candidate for our debased horse race political and social culture. Of the right of center flavor. Trump's a opportunist and a grifter. Those kinds of people understand their mark. And most of the working and middle class being angry over 40+ years of economic inequality were angry and vulnerable to the mark. And yes, American anger will also express itself in a racial way as well.

It would all be vastly entertaining if it wasn't so sad and dangerous

It's America, so it's not pure totalitarianism. There aren't outright gulags. It's not Nazi Germany. The control isn't total and there is still freedom. But it's definitely an American version of those things. People are being manipulated and propagandized. In fact, they basically do it to themselves. Very self starting, we are. Basically Free Range Authoritarianism-Lite.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#5 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:40 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:It's actually been around for awhile but I believe Putin is pushing buttons behind the curtain to move things along.

I presumed the stuff about Putin in HW's post was meming on the content of the video.. But then

thebuzzardman wrote:I'd agree with the Putin take, that he's helping to push this kind of thing along, and of course it's true, to an extent.

So ... :-?
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#6 » by nykballa2k4 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:07 pm

f
HarthorneWingo wrote:Okay, I think I found the video which explains the mass psychosis that we're seeing today here an around the world. It's actually been around for awhile but I believe Putin is pushing buttons behind the curtain to move things along.

-Gustav Le Bon

The funny thing about this is that people who learn and change/adapt are called "flip floppers" and chastised.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,128

Post#7 » by moocow007 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:31 pm

-Gustav Le Bon

The reality is that 99% of the people in the world are dumber than they should be 99% of the time. That's really the problem with society.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,375
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#8 » by BKlutch » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:48 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:We can post all our health-related data and concerns here, assuming this is okay with the mods.

Wingo ain't going on no airplanes or staying in any hotel/motel. No movie theaters or outdoor concerts either. And I'm masked up again when I go indoor shopping at the supermarket. FUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

I'll go first. This azzhat (Mr. "Be Hard To Kill") decides to walk into a store without a mask even though this business has a mask rule.

I have a friend whose name is Karen. Poor woman. To make things worse, her daughter's name is Alexa. (Daughter was born before Amazon even dreamed of Alexa, but what can she do now? She has actually asked people to call her something else. LOL)

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#9 » by Polk377 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:19 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:We can post all our health-related data and concerns here, assuming this is okay with the mods.

Your hysteria is getting out of control buddy. Reel it in and step off your ledge. The only thing you need to fear is the delusion you have built in your own head.

This is what happens when fake news puts out statistics like if you are vaccinated you have a 99.999% chance of survival but those unvaccinated are 25% more likely to die. No one bothers to do that math.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,375
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#10 » by BKlutch » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:21 pm

moocow007 wrote:

-Gustav Le Bon

The reality is that 99% of the people in the world are dumber than they should be 99% of the time. That's really the problem with society.

Whoa. It's not 99% and 99% — there are a lot of good folks. But in reality the numbers are way too high.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,270

Post#11 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:31 pm

Polk377 wrote:

Your hysteria is getting out of control buddy. Reel it in and step off your ledge. The only thing you need to fear is the delusion you have built in your own head.

This is what happens when fake news puts out statistics like if you are vaccinated you have a 99.999% chance of survival but those unvaccinated are 25% more likely to die. No one bothers to do that math.

I don’t know if you’re responding so aggressively in order to get the thread shut down, because any response to that video is basically appropriate considering the protagonist is violating all kinds of laws. You walk into a store with a mask policy and behave like that is indefensible. No store owner should have to put up with that.

As far as statistics are concerned, as of a few weeks ago the data for the U.S. and around the world was 99% of covid related hospitalizations were unvaccinated people. That’s where the 99% number comes from. You’re mistakenly conflating that with survival rates which is a whole other thing. Once you’re sick enough to be hospitalized the survival rate for anyone, vaccinated or unvaccinated, is not going to reach 99%.

Further, vaccinated people usually have less severe symptions and they DO have a higher rate of survival once they get ill, though the amount of vaccinated people getting ill from covid is still marginal statisically.

That’s math
ImageImageImage
guardplay320
Bench Warmer
And1: 101

Post#12 » by guardplay320 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:32 pm

-Gustav Le Bon

Absolutely about Putin. People need to wake up. This divisiveness is not just a US problem. Putin has been doing this for years, particularly in Eastern Europe, but more recently has effectively been able to abuse social media to spread misinformation to people all over the world now. I am a democrat but will be the first to admit that, while he clearly wanted Trump in power to aid in the divisiveness, the lies and misinformation was not about Trump but about dividing and he has spread misinformation to republicans and democrats voters alike. Now, both sides are extreme, toxic and no longer look at their neighbors as people but as labels based on their politics.
guardplay320
Bench Warmer
And1: 101

Post#13 » by guardplay320 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:37 pm

Polk377 wrote:

Calling something fake news does not make it fake. Statistics are statistics. If those statistics are wrong, prove them wrong. Just simply saying "fake news" is a scapegoat for having a factually-based conversation. That does not mean that those statistics are entirely accurate, but if you want to argue that something is wrong, do better than a weak catchphrase.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#14 » by nykballa2k4 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:45 pm

BKlutch wrote:

I have a friend whose name is Karen. Poor woman. To make things worse, her daughter's name is Alexa. (Daughter was born before Amazon even dreamed of Alexa, but what can she do now? She has actually asked people to call her something else. LOL)

The whole "Karen" thing is so inherently racist.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,229

Post#15 » by The Lamma » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:45 pm

BKlutch wrote:

It's like that guy Michael Bolton from Office Space. Everything's cool and then all of a sudden things change on ya.

"You know there's nothing wrong with that name."

"There was nothing wrong with it, until I was about 12 years old, and that no talent a$$ clown became famous and started winning Grammys."

"Why don't you just go by Mike instead of Michael?"

"No way. Why should I change? He's the one who sucks."
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#16 » by Polk377 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:48 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Polk377 wrote:

I don’t know if you’re responding so aggressively in order to get the thread shut down, because any response to that video is basically appropriate considering the protagonist is violating all kinds of laws. You walk into a store with a mask policy and behave like that is indefensible. No store owner should have to put up with that.

As far as statistics are concerned, as of a few weeks ago the data for the U.S. and around the world was 99% of covid related hospitalizations were unvaccinated people. That’s where the 99% number comes from. You’re mistakenly conflating that with survival rates which is a whole other thing. Once you’re sick enough to be hospitalized the survival rate for anyone, vaccinated or unvaccinated, is not going to reach 99%.

Further, vaccinated people usually have less severe symptions and they DO have a higher rate of survival once they get ill, though the amount of vaccinated people getting ill from covid is still marginal statisically.

That’s math

I would very much like this thread shut down so you and all your friends can stop the fear mongering and pushing your propaganda down everyone's throats in here.
Thepaintismine
Sophomore
And1: 96

Post#17 » by Thepaintismine » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:53 pm

A whole lot of people seem to like what Busta gots to say, Ya'll.

Read on Twitter
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,386

Post#18 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:00 pm

Thepaintismine wrote:A whole lot of people seem to like what Busta gots to say, Ya'll.

Read on Twitter

He’s actually getting killed on Twitter. Nobody is taking him seriously, thankfully.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Remember to wear your masks and don’t be a idiot.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,270

Post#19 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:02 pm

Polk377 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Polk377 wrote:

That’s math

I would very much like this thread shut down so you and all your friends can stop the fear mongering and pushing your propaganda down everyone's throats in here.

Well, there you have it folks, they do want the thread shut down

It is very clear that when someone responds to your mistaken numbers with actual discussion about reported statistical data you have no other response than to call it propaganda. Not surprising to hear from someone who is still using the Fake News slur. You don’t seem comfortable with facts so maybe you should just leave the thread instead of provoking in the hopes of getting it shut down
ImageImageImage
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,229

Post#20 » by The Lamma » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:02 pm

One thing that seems to be extremely overlooked in terms of covid is what is known as viral load.

People wonder why a college age athlete, in great shape and extremely healthy, can end up hospitalized, while his 80 year old neighbor only has mild symptoms for 2 days. In most cases the answer is viral load.

Sure, genetics, diet and immune system play a huge role, but here's what I'm talking about.

Lets say both guys spend 4 hours in the same place, and there's someone very sick inside. Person A has the sick person right in front of him for the entire time. Person B was twice as far from the sick guy, and for only 10 minutes, before moving away.

Person A ends up inhaling 1 million virus particles. Person B, 10,000. Both end up with the same disease, but Person A gets way more sick as a result. And maybe Person A is the young athlete in this case.

The sickest I ever got was dealing cards at a casino to a dude that openly admitted he had bronchitis, and played at my table for 4 hours coughing his balls off. I had bronchitis for 40 fcking days thanks to this as$hole.

In a nutshell, prolonged exposure is more dangerous.

Return to New York Knicks