Image ImageImage Image

Official: DeRozan! Player of the Week p69

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,648

Re: Official: Bulls get DeRozan! 3yrs/$85m PG. 17 update 

Post#1161 » by sco » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:49 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
sco wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:Given how this team is constructed, I don’t know that each of Zach, Vuc and DDR average 20+ would be the most optimal thing. Unless our pace is just super fast. If not, somebody is going to get phased out in that scenario (either Lonzo or PWill). I think 25 for Zach, 20ish for Vuc and 18ish for DDR would be the most optimal scenario to be honest.

I think the biggest barrier for those guys scoring 20+ each will be more about how many shots Ball, White and Pat get. I'd be happier with those other 3 scoring in the low-mid-teens than having 3 20pt scorers.
There is no way I want Lonzo and Pwill taking shots away from the other 3. Lonzo should score 14 and PWill 10 just because the defense leaves them wide open but you let your scorers score.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

I don't disagree, but I'm fine with them taking wide open shots if they are there and both of them keep their %'s up from last season. I also think/hope that the big 3 are staggered such that 1 is resting most of the game, so that we have 2 of the 3 out there most of the game.
:clap:
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,321

Post#1162 » by Stratmaster » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:04 pm

sco wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
sco wrote:I think the biggest barrier for those guys scoring 20+ each will be more about how many shots Ball, White and Pat get. I'd be happier with those other 3 scoring in the low-mid-teens than having 3 20pt scorers.
There is no way I want Lonzo and Pwill taking shots away from the other 3. Lonzo should score 14 and PWill 10 just because the defense leaves them wide open but you let your scorers score.

I don't disagree, but I'm fine with them taking wide open shots if they are there and both of them keep their %'s up from last season. I also think/hope that the big 3 are staggered such that 1 is resting most of the game, so that we have 2 of the 3 out there most of the game.
Yep, we are on the same page there.

SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,160

Post#1163 » by SHO'NUFF » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:32 am

Can we update the DeRozan deal? Isn’t it $81,900,000 for 3 years.

It’ll make people feel slightly better.
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,103

Post#1164 » by cool007 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:58 am

erlim wrote:
FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

Here’s the clip really cool candid insight.

I don't care what anyone says as I know for sure that Demar Derozan is going to be HUGE for us. The reason the media and other teams fans are not sold on Bulls as we don't have any household names, we don't have a superstar and we are never on national tv - on top of it, we have not made the playoffs in many years, front office sucked and coaching sucked for quite a few years.

I usually have my numbering - 1 for superstar, 2 for all-star (all-star caliber) and 3 for high-level role players.

We have ZERO 1s (no superstars) but we have THREE 2s (3 all-star/all-star level players) and none of them are highly regarded or hyped so we go under the radar. But that is exactly what will make the Bulls team a top 5-6 in the East and a fun team to watch.

DD is not a 3pt shooter but he is damn elite at what he actually does and that's basically unstoppable unless you double/triple and that's when you have nothing but shooters around him who can make you pay. If we still have Wendell/Gafford at center then it may not work but with Vooch, it works beautifully. Now we have 2 low-post options that can punish teams and are pretty good passers if they are doubled. We have an elite scorer in Zach.

We should be fine. I am not worried.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,073

Post#1165 » by MrSparkle » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:56 am

cool007 wrote:
erlim wrote:
FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't care what anyone says as I know for sure that Demar Derozan is going to be HUGE for us. The reason the media and other teams fans are not sold on Bulls as we don't have any household names, we don't have a superstar and we are never on national tv - on top of it, we have not made the playoffs in many years, front office sucked and coaching sucked for quite a few years.

I usually have my numbering - 1 for superstar, 2 for all-star (all-star caliber) and 3 for high-level role players.

We have ZERO 1s (no superstars) but we have THREE 2s (3 all-star/all-star level players) and none of them are highly regarded or hyped so we go under the radar. But that is exactly what will make the Bulls team a top 5-6 in the East and a fun team to watch.

DD is not a 3pt shooter but he is damn elite at what he actually does and that's basically unstoppable unless you double/triple and that's when you have nothing but shooters around him who can make you pay. If we still have Wendell/Gafford at center then it may not work but with Vooch, it works beautifully. Now we have 2 low-post options that can punish teams and are pretty good passers if they are doubled. We have an elite scorer in Zach.

The recipe for a winning NBA team can be a little tricky, and I'm sure this team will have its issues... But I am genuinely shocked how low the mainstream fans and media, including the General Board, are with this squad. After that ESPN Friedell hot take, you'd think we just signed Felicio, Kornet, and Valentine to extensions. We've got people claiming we'll be worse than last year, including most the GB thinking we're an 8-seed at best.

If anything, I thought I was gonna have to quell unreasonably high expectations... but no... Apparently replacing the most glutenous fringe-NBA PG & C rotation with zero wings, with a surplus of wing sized 2-way players and 2 more star-caliber triple-threats is going to somehow make us worse?
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,707

Post#1166 » by BullChit » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:01 am

MrSparkle wrote:
cool007 wrote:
erlim wrote:

The recipe for a winning NBA team can be a little tricky, and I'm sure this team will have its issues... But I am genuinely shocked how low the mainstream fans and media, including the General Board, are with this squad. After that ESPN Friedell hot take, you'd think we just signed Felicio, Kornet, and Valentine to extensions. We've got people claiming we'll be worse than last year, including most the GB thinking we're an 8-seed at best.

If anything, I thought I was gonna have to quell unreasonably high expectations... but no... Apparently replacing the most glutenous fringe-NBA PG & C rotation with zero wings, with a surplus of wing sized 2-way players and 2 more star-caliber triple-threats is going to somehow make us worse?

I know what you mean bud and it's really annoying.

The majority of fans have been trained by the media to categorise teams as either title contenders or losers going for lottery balls.

Anything in between is the dreaded "treadmill"

It's 100% true that your chances of winning a title drastically go up and up if you have a generational type talent on your roster, no doubt about it and the Bulls don't have that, but that doesn't mean that all other teams should give up.

I always wonder back in the 90s when Jordan owned the league if forums were around do you really think the majority of Knicks fans would have been saying "why bother in the ECF again, Jordan is going to beat us anyway, we are mid teir lucky to be here, no way we can win"

Imagine if coaches taught that type of mentality.

The sports media and there need for ratings and hot takes really destroy hardcore fan bases who think they have hotter takes and are competing for likes for their analytical skills on a forum or twitter.

And if you show any kind of positive support for your team your a stooge or a sheep.

(And don't get me started on the people who seem to care about the bank accounts of the team owners and how much they spend... I'm rambling though I think so I'll stop)
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
The Force.
Head Coach
And1: 2,112

Re: Official: Bulls get DeRozan! 3yrs/$81,900,000 PG. 17 update 

Post#1167 » by The Force. » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:47 am

I think the main criticism has to do with the defense. Unless you're a top 5 offensive team, it's very difficult to win consistently with a below average defense. Most pundits are predicting the Bulls to have a below average defense and somewhere between a 5th and 10th ranked offense. If that's how things play out then their criticisms will be warranted.

The only way this experiment works out is if the Bulls can play league average defense and become a top 5 offense. A scenario that is entirely feasible IMO.
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Post#1168 » by Jvaughn » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:12 pm

What I found interesting in that video is that it appears Vuc was heavily involved with recruiting DD. We assumed it was all Zach, but the big man put in work too. Guess that makes sense with the USC connection. If it goes well this year, hopefully we can convince some older vets to take some salary cuts to come help with a deep playoff push next year.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,847

Post#1169 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:49 pm

The Force. wrote:I think the main criticism has to do with the defense. Unless you're a top 5 offensive team, it's very difficult to win consistently with a below average defense. Most pundits are predicting the Bulls to have a below average defense and somewhere between a 5th and 10th ranked offense. If that's how things play out then their criticisms will be warranted.

The only way this experiment works out is if the Bulls can play league average defense and become a top 5 offense. A scenario that is entirely feasible IMO.

I would say that Vucevic is perhaps the most important player next year as he very much needs to transform how he plays.

We shouldn't see nearly as much creation from him and hopefully less post-up touches.

His job needs to be as a finisher who shoots 3's and scores right at the rim. Derozan/Lavine are the primary initiators.
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,707

Post#1170 » by BullChit » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:16 pm

Jvaughn wrote:What I found interesting in that video is that it appears Vuc was heavily involved with recruiting DD. We assumed it was all Zach, but the big man put in work too. Guess that makes sense with the USC connection. If it goes well this year, hopefully we can convince some older vets to take some salary cuts to come help with a deep playoff push next year.

That says to me that the players are truly buying into what AkME and BD are setting up and selling.

Vucevic was with us less than half a season, dude cried during his presser because of how much he cared about Orlando and yet he's leading the charge to bring his old college buddy here.

And DDR isn't saying "I want to play with Vuc", he's saying he wanted to be on the Bulls fullstop.

As doom and gloom as some can make it all out to be it really is a great time to be a Bulls fan
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,998

Post#1171 » by Chi town » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:34 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
The Force. wrote:I think the main criticism has to do with the defense. Unless you're a top 5 offensive team, it's very difficult to win consistently with a below average defense. Most pundits are predicting the Bulls to have a below average defense and somewhere between a 5th and 10th ranked offense. If that's how things play out then their criticisms will be warranted.

I would say that Vucevic is perhaps the most important player next year as he very much needs to transform how he plays.

We shouldn't see nearly as much creation from him and hopefully less post-up touches.

His job needs to be as a finisher who shoots 3's and scores right at the rim. Derozan/Lavine are the primary initiators.

Spot on. He will get his iso touches but that should be as the main scorer when Zach and DD are resting.

I think BillyD will have one of the 3 on the court at all times.
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#1172 » by erlim » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:09 pm

The full/extended podcast session is up; really cool to see DeRozan be comfortable and candid with another (former) NBA player as opposed to the more stilted media availability session. The clip is really heartwarming for any of us, he has bought in SO hard and sings praises to Zach Lavine, like a top tier talent that you'd switch teams to play beside--and absolutely loves the city (he said he could handle the weather doing Toronto for nine years). I'm excited, I hope our new look team can roll on the good vibes.

I've always been tepid on Agent Zero, firstly for this:

But also this; (saying he'd wreck Pippen and Rodman because they were waify 6'6" losers.)

But, in a start contrast to the national media, Arenas also sings very high praises on Zach (even though he's another waify 6'6" player) and the Bulls.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#1173 » by MrFortune3 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:03 pm

I think DDR was a signing as much for his impact on the court for his impact in the locker room.

Part of changing the culture happens in the locker room and DDR is great in there. I think AK targeted guys that are great players, hungry to win and buy into the culture he wants to create.
SaNdMiRkS
Sophomore
And1: 109

Post#1174 » by SaNdMiRkS » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:38 pm

Gilbert Arenas is one of the biggest braindead goofs that has ever been in the NBA. He wouldn't have a show or podcast or whatever it is if he didn't spout off so much idiotic nonsense
IamSam
Senior
And1: 218

Post#1175 » by IamSam » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:28 pm

erlim wrote:The full/extended podcast session is up; really cool to see DeRozan be comfortable and candid with another (former) NBA player as opposed to the more stilted media availability session. The clip is really heartwarming for any of us, he has bought in SO hard and sings praises to Zach Lavine, like a top tier talent that you'd switch teams to play beside--and absolutely loves the city (he said he could handle the weather doing Toronto for nine years). I'm excited, I hope our new look team can roll on the good vibes.

It sticks out to me that Demar Derozan talks about the on this team "playing with that chip on their shoulder". If he is right about that, this upcoming season should be very interesting. Even including Patrick Williams, the entire starting lineup is made up of guys who have been told at one point or another that they were pretty good but not quite the best in the game. Though that sentiment may be true, what if all of these guys really "go all in"

The 2004 Pistons proved that it is possible that the whole can be greater than the sum of its parts (I'm not saying the 2022 Bulls will win it all for the record); I see at least a possibility that this team could be a lot better than what some are predicting.
SaNdMiRkS
Sophomore
And1: 109

Post#1176 » by SaNdMiRkS » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:41 pm

IamSam wrote:
erlim wrote:The full/extended podcast session is up; really cool to see DeRozan be comfortable and candid with another (former) NBA player as opposed to the more stilted media availability session. The clip is really heartwarming for any of us, he has bought in SO hard and sings praises to Zach Lavine, like a top tier talent that you'd switch teams to play beside--and absolutely loves the city (he said he could handle the weather doing Toronto for nine years). I'm excited, I hope our new look team can roll on the good vibes.

It sticks out to me that Demar Derozan talks about the on this team "playing with that chip on their shoulder". If he is right about that, this upcoming season should be very interesting. Even including Patrick Williams, the entire starting lineup is made up of guys who have been told at one point or another that they were pretty good but not quite the best in the game. Though that sentiment may be true, what if all of these guys really "go all in"

The 2004 Pistons proved that it is possible that the whole can be greater than the sum of its parts (I'm not saying the 2022 Bulls will win it all for the record); I see at least a possibility that this team could be a lot better than what some are predicting.

I don't like the Detroit comparisons, they don't make much sense. Chicago is being built to be elite for the future, from here on out. Those Det teams were a mess internally & behind the scenes & almost succeeded in spite of the conditions

Chicago is also one of the youngest teams in the league & is brimming with high-end young talent
IamSam
Senior
And1: 218

Post#1177 » by IamSam » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:02 pm

SaNdMiRkS wrote:
IamSam wrote:

I don't like the Detroit comparisons, they don't make much sense. Chicago is being built to be elite for the future, from here on out. Those Det teams were a mess internally & behind the scenes & almost succeeded in spite of the conditions

Chicago is also one of the youngest teams in the league & is brimming with high-end young talent

Didn't think this would be mis-understood but the only basis of comparison is that the Detroit team wasn't seen as a team with superstar level players. That was all.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,350

Post#1178 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:43 pm

Read on Twitter
MikeDC
Analyst
And1: 1,917

Post#1179 » by MikeDC » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:11 pm

SaNdMiRkS wrote:Chicago... is brimming with high-end young talent

Are we?

We've got Zach 26
Lonzo 24
Troy Brown Jr 22
Coby 21
Pat 20

I don't know where that stacks up compared to the rest of the league exactly, but I don't imagine we're near the top
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#1180 » by NecessaryEvil » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:43 am

I don't quite know what the Clippers could of offered but I'm surprised he'd turn down the chance to play with Kawhi & PG13. I'd see that team easily in the WCF if Kawhi's healthy.

Best part about having DD, we should have no scoring droughts. Zach can rest up good with Demar & Nikola on the floor without him.

5th-6th seed easily, with potential to go higher.

Return to Chicago Bulls