ImageImageImageImage

Off season Moves- Leaks, Rumors, Signings, Trades

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Orl_Magic
Junior
And1: 195

Off season Moves- Leaks, Rumors, Signings, Trades 

Post#1 » by Orl_Magic » Mon Aug 2, 2021 6:59 pm

Didnt see a thread for the offseason moves.

WeHam wants to bring in some guys with experience. Should be interesting who we go after this off season.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Re: Off season Moves- Leaks, Rumors, Signings, Trades 

Post#2 » by fendilim » Tue Aug 3, 2021 1:57 am

So… they might have been stuck in traffic
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#3 » by Skin » Tue Aug 3, 2021 6:09 am

Bye Bye Otto Porter!
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#4 » by basketballRob » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:31 pm

I'd like to somehow get MPJ or Jamal Murray. I think one of them are going to be moved. Can't imagine the Nuggets will carry 3 max players next season, and MPJ will likely get that. If we traded for him prior to the season, we could give him a max extension.

We could clear about 15m more in cap space by waiving Harris and spread his salary over 4 years. We also have young players and draft picks to trade.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,226

Post#5 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:39 am

Skin wrote:Bye Bye Otto Porter!

Someone on this board had an incessant desire to land Porter. Can’t remember who it was.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,076

Post#6 » by SOUL » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:47 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:

Someone on this board had an incessant desire to land Porter. Can’t remember who it was.

cedric?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#7 » by Skybox » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:45 am

I'm an absolute fiend for trade rumors...but I just can't imagine anything significant happening, at least until Trade Deadline. We don't have a single proven piece (without injury concerns) to draw offers and we have enough depth for tryouts at every spot. Perhaps TRoss, but for what?

Unless WeHam decides that Masai's unexpected gift of Suggs creates a logjam at ball handling guard(I won't limit to PG) and feels that Cole has value or comes to the conclusion that RJ can't play without the ball in his hands. I like them both and don't feel any compulsion to do anything yet, but if an offer for a REAL 3 and D guy came along (I've said Vassell, Nesmith, Kispert), I'd probably jump on it. Year after year, we hope shooting will suddenly materialize but, maybe, that's still the thing to chase.

But those might be reaches in value and might also be premature so I don't see anything happening. I really like our vets (TRoss, Harris, RoLo) sprinkled around the roster, so no real need there either.

IMO, we should have used our 2rp to just pluck the BEST SHOOTER still available and see if he makes the team. There were definitely guys at 33 worth a look with no real risk-could always send him to Lakeland or home.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#8 » by Skybox » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:25 pm

What to do, what to do...

RealGM Wiretap
Pistons, Magic, Spurs Only Three Teams Projected To Have 2022 Cap Space
AUG 20, 2021 10:50 AM

The NBA salary cap is projected to increase from $112 million to $119 million from 21-22 to 22-23, but ESPN projects only three teams to have cap space.

The Detroit Pistons, Orlando Magic and San Antonio Spurs are expected to have a minimum of $30 million in room. The Sacramento Kings could have $22 million in cap space should they let Marvin Begley Jr. walk in free agency.

For comparison, five teams had cap space this offseason and four in 2020.

BOBBY MARKS/ESPN
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 572

Post#9 » by MasterGMer » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:51 pm

Do we have the sense of urgency to trade Markelle Fultz pre season or trade deadline?

We have a logjam at Guards, even though MCW just got his surgery. But Suggs is our future.

Also, are we going to use our Boston TPE before the season? It looks like we are not.

But I just want to ask, is Fultz on his way out of Orlando team?
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#10 » by The Effect » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:09 pm

basketballRob wrote:I'd like to somehow get MPJ or Jamal Murray. I think one of them are going to be moved. Can't imagine the Nuggets will carry 3 max players next season, and MPJ will likely get that. If we traded for him prior to the season, we could give him a max extension.

We could clear about 15m more in cap space by waiving Harris and spread his salary over 4 years. We also have young players and draft picks to trade.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app

id be willing to bet large sums of money that there is no way the nuggets would trade Murray, and cant image what they would ask for in return for MPjr. Wasnt it said that the rockets targeting MPj in any harden trade and the nuggets turned it down. If they turned down harden, theres nothing we can offer them that would get the deal done
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#11 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:06 am

Skybox wrote:What to do, what to do...

RealGM Wiretap

We can always be effective in the second tier free agent market when we have cap space as role players / starters but not all-stars want to get paid.

However, we might have a a better shot at a better talent by transferring our cap flexibility to another team. Trade our expiring deals to a cap stricken team in exchange for one bad deal + one shining young prospect.

Harris + MCW = almost $25M

If we pick one of Bamba or WCJ to move forward with and ditch the other we can toss in another $7M+.

We can offer a team over $30M in cap space … for a price.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#12 » by cedric76 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:47 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:

Yeah, it s me

Healthy otto is exactly what we needed, unfortunately he is not.

However i m sure he ll do great in his new team but i understand why we didn't try to retain him and i understand why he preferred to go for a contender
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#13 » by cedric76 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:49 am

RealGM Wiretap

The NBA salary cap is projected to increase from $112 million to $119 million from 21-22 to 22-23, but ESPN projects only three teams to have cap space.

The Detroit Pistons, Orlando Magic and San Antonio Spurs are expected to have a minimum of $30 million in room. The Sacramento Kings could have $22 million in cap space should they let Marvin Begley Jr. walk in free agency.

BOBBY MARKS/ESPN

This is a huge reason why we won't tank this season, we need to get to 30 wins + to become attractive to free agent (on top of the huge bag we can offer)
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#14 » by drsd » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:40 am

cedric76 wrote:

RealGM Wiretap

BOBBY MARKS/ESPN

This is a huge reason why we won't tank this season, we need to get to 30 wins + to become attractive to free agent (on top of the huge bag we can offer)

I am not sure the Magic is capable of a 30 win season. But I agree that Orlando will put its best players on the court and work to win every game. This is not a roster of conventional "player development". Yes there are players that need to develop, which is expected in a roster of ten 23yo players, or younger.

The notion that there will be nights were Ignas Brazdeikis, Donta Hall, Chasson Randle, and Sindarius Thornwell ALL get 20 minutes of court time in the same game, as they did last season: that won't happen this season. Indeed the improvemetns of this roster from the last 20 games of last season is in the deep bench. The bottom six players of this roster are not bad anymore.

sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#15 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:20 pm

I believe I read somewhere on here that we signed R. Lopez. But I have not seen it anywhere else or confirmed.

Any info on this?
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,829

Post#16 » by Last Guardian » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:39 pm

MasterGMer wrote:Do we have the sense of urgency to trade Markelle Fultz pre season or trade deadline?

We have a logjam at Guards, even though MCW just got his surgery. But Suggs is our future.

Also, are we going to use our Boston TPE before the season? It looks like we are not.

But I just want to ask, is Fultz on his way out of Orlando team?

Suggs and Fultz is not necessarily a log jam. From what I saw of Suggs he plays more like a Brandon Roy or poor mans Wade. He's definitely our future but I think he is more of a scoring 2 guard with playmaking skills than a point guard. Fultz is more a playmaking guard who can kind of score (by taking it to the basket or some mid-range shots). I think they could co-exist just fine and it is worth giving it a shot since next season is not really deemed to be an important season as far as winning.

Because of his lack of high % outside shooting people generally tend to underrate Fultz impact on the team. He's not going to be our 20+ ppg scorer, Suggs probably will be that. But Fultz is a PG who wants to get people the ball. Go back and watch some older games...Vuc was best player and he wanted to get him the ball as much as possible. When Ross was in he looked for him constantly. If Suggs is best scorer on team he will be looking to get him the ball.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#17 » by drsd » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:01 pm

sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:I believe I read somewhere on here that we signed R. Lopez. But I have not seen it anywhere else or confirmed.

Any info on this?

Here is the official release from the Magic.

NBA.com: Orlando Magic Sign Robin Lopez
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:21 pm

Thanks drsd. I haven't followed him that much, but isn't he a pretty decent, back up to starting level center?

Where does that leave Mo and WCJ?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#19 » by tiderulz » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:07 pm

sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:Thanks drsd. I haven't followed him that much, but isn't he a pretty decent, back up to starting level center?

he is a backup center, serviceable as an emergency starter. but has carved out a career as a backup center and paid high enough that his role is likely to help coach Mo and WCJ on how to be a professional NBA player
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:32 pm

tiderulz wrote:
sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:Thanks drsd. I haven't followed him that much, but isn't he a pretty decent, back up to starting level center?

he is a backup center, serviceable as an emergency starter. but has carved out a career as a backup center and paid high enough that his role is likely to help coach Mo and WCJ on how to be a professional NBA player

Thanks Tide. He always struck me as the happier, more energetic of the twins. I know his brother is regarded as the better player, but I like the culture that WEHAM seem to be building. I was happily stunned to see that video of Cole calling Suggs his rookie and giving him a hug in front of the camera when Suggs came up during his interview. Little things like that go a long way imo if they are not being faked.

Return to Orlando Magic