ImageImageImageImage

Gary Harris

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Nickim86
Ballboy
And1: 1

Gary Harris 

Post#1 » by Nickim86 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:58 am

Thoughts on swapping him for Harrison Barnes?
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,215

Re: Gary Harris 

Post#2 » by pepe1991 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:10 pm

It would hinder our cap space, in theory. In reality we would get better player, at least healthier one, and he would hold our cap space for one more year.

I, personally, would do this.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Nickim86
Ballboy

Post#3 » by Nickim86 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:28 pm

Yeah I was thinking from a positional need, veteran leadership and championship experience, he would be a good fit
Nickim86
Ballboy

Post#4 » by Nickim86 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:41 pm

we could throw in 2 2nd round picks as well
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,135

Post#5 » by zaymon » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:43 pm

I think we like Gary Harris. He is a veteran and a leader, he is also fairly young. I dont think Barnes is as vocal and he certainly is not as sound defensively as Harris. I want our players to observe good, unselfish veterans. Barnes gives us nothing, we have better depth at guard spot but better young quality on the wings.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,090

Post#6 » by tiderulz » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:51 pm

zaymon wrote:I think we like Gary Harris. He is a veteran and a leader, he is also fairly young. I dont think Barnes is as vocal and he certainly is not as sound defensively as Harris. I want our players to observe good, unselfish veterans. Barnes gives us nothing, we have better depth at guard spot but better young quality on the wings.

we do? i dont dislike him, but what does he bring? Barnes has been on a championship team, on an unselfish team. He also jumped at the money and didnt find the same success. viewpoints he could share with the team.

And can play at SF likely better than anyone we have on the roster. only 1 year longer than Harris. I would do it.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,974

Post#7 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:57 pm

I would do it, but why would the Kings? What Barnes would bring to our team is exactly why Kings want to keep him for their team.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,135

Post#8 » by zaymon » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:05 pm

tiderulz wrote:
zaymon wrote:I think we like Gary Harris. He is a veteran and a leader, he is also fairly young. I dont think Barnes is as vocal and he certainly is not as sound defensively as Harris. I want our players to observe good, unselfish veterans. Barnes gives us nothing, we have better depth at guard spot but better young quality on the wings.

we do? i dont dislike him, but what does he bring? Barnes has been on a championship team, on an unselfish team. He also jumped at the money and didnt find the same success. viewpoints he could share with the team.

And can play at SF likely better than anyone we have on the roster. only 1 year longer than Harris. I would do it.

Weltman was very high on Gary Harris when we got him. "We got a good one". It didnt sound like he was a thrown in for us.
When he came he immediately took on a vocal veteran leader role. It was not Ross who is older and on the team forever. You dont do those things if you are not invested in the team.
He also teached our guards his defensive technique and principles. No other player maybe except MCW can do it for us.
Harris is a great fit next to Suggs. They are both very positive but serious minded. They both were great at football. Starting Suggs with Anthony or Hampton will only make him frustrated. Starting him with Fultz who cant shoot and defend is also very risky.
We drafted potentially a great player in Suggs, do we want to sabotage him carrier from the beginning surrounding him with players who dont know how to play ? He wont learn anything from Hampton and Anthony. He propably wont learn much from Fultz who didnt play much. He cn learn a lot from Harris.
Barnes is good player but i dont see a role for him on our team. I like his improved passing, but i value playing time more for Isaac, Okeke, Wagner and maybe Hampton at the 3.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,134

Post#9 » by Knightro » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:24 pm

Barnes is pretty clearly the better player right now given Harris' struggles with injuries over the past few years, but I don't think it necessarily makes sense for the Magic to get older and more expensive at this point in their rebuild.

I would pass on the deal ultimately.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,879

Post#10 » by drsd » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:06 pm

Nickim86 wrote:Thoughts on swapping him for Harrison Barnes?

The only reason this might make sense is that Orlando decides the 2022 FA market is overly thin and want to defer the All-in move to 2023.

Harris and Barnes thus serve a place-holder role. I am not sure this should be dragged on too much longer. Just keep Harris, until the Magic assess if Fultz/Hampton can play SG, or if the Magic need to find the SG of the future.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,879

Post#11 » by drsd » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:07 pm

Knightro wrote:Barnes is pretty clearly the better player right now given Harris' struggles with injuries over the past few years, but I don't think it necessarily makes sense for the Magic to get older and more expensive at this point in their rebuild.

Agreed. And around the ASW teams will make offers for Harris as an expiring. Might as well just wait for those deals (or let him expire).

tiderulz
RealGM

Post#12 » by tiderulz » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:05 pm

zaymon wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Weltman was very high on Gary Harris when we got him. "We got a good one". It didnt sound like he was a thrown in for us.
When he came he immediately took on a vocal veteran leader role. It was not Ross who is older and on the team forever. You dont do those things if you are not invested in the team.
He also teached our guards his defensive technique and principles. No other player maybe except MCW can do it for us.
Harris is a great fit next to Suggs. They are both very positive but serious minded. They both were great at football. Starting Suggs with Anthony or Hampton will only make him frustrated. Starting him with Fultz who cant shoot and defend is also very risky.
We drafted potentially a great player in Suggs, do we want to sabotage him carrier from the beginning surrounding him with players who dont know how to play ? He wont learn anything from Hampton and Anthony. He propably wont learn much from Fultz who didnt play much. He cn learn a lot from Harris.
Barnes is good player but i dont see a role for him on our team. I like his improved passing, but i value playing time more for Isaac, Okeke, Wagner and maybe Hampton at the 3.

Harris cant shoot either, at least he cant make them.

And its coaches job to teach players defense, not another player. having him play with a legit SF would help Suggs a lot. and Hampton cannot play the 3.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#13 » by tiderulz » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:06 pm

drsd wrote:
Knightro wrote:Barnes is pretty clearly the better player right now given Harris' struggles with injuries over the past few years, but I don't think it necessarily makes sense for the Magic to get older and more expensive at this point in their rebuild.

Agreed. And around the ASW teams will make offers for Harris as an expiring. Might as well just wait for those deals (or let him expire).

you are hoping that, but i doubt it happens. if it does, its to dump a worse contract on us
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,454

Post#14 » by thelead » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:45 pm

Nope. Barnes is better and fills a position of need while we need to tank.
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,171

Post#15 » by Kent » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:16 pm

I think it's a worthy question but I would prefer Harris.

I see Barnes taking shots away from our new guys and potentially stunting their growth.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,664

Post#16 » by basketballRob » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:10 pm

Kent wrote:I think it's a worthy question but I would prefer Harris.

I see Barnes taking shots away from our new guys and potentially stunting their growth.
Not only do you prefer Barnes, but do we prefer him over cap space the next 2 years. I'd rather keep the space and look for bargains.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#17 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:04 pm

drsd wrote:

The only reason this might make sense is that Orlando decides the 2022 FA market is overly thin and want to defer the All-in move to 2023.

Harris and Barnes thus serve a place-holder role. I am not sure this should be dragged on too much longer. Just keep Harris, until the Magic assess if Fultz/Hampton can play SG, or if the Magic need to find the SG of the future.

Why are we assessing if Fultz can play SG?

Fultz would be the PG, Suggs would be SG.

But really it is a modern backcourt with two ball handlers.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#18 » by tiderulz » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:12 pm

basketballRob wrote:

Not only do you prefer Barnes, but do we prefer him over cap space the next 2 years. I'd rather keep the space and look for bargains.

to be clear, its only 1 year longer than Harris.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#19 » by tiderulz » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:14 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
drsd wrote:

Why are we assessing if Fultz can play SG?

Fultz would be the PG, Suggs would be SG.

But really it is a modern backcourt with two ball handlers.

why do you assume so? the ball in Suggs hands leads to good things happening. I agree its great to have more than 1 ball handler. But we havent seen what the Mosley wants to do yet.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,664

Post#20 » by basketballRob » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:20 pm

tiderulz wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

to be clear, its only 1 year longer than Harris.
I'd rather let Franz, Chuma, and Ross get the minutes.

Return to Orlando Magic