ImageImageImageImageImage

RJ Barrett entering year 3

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,918

RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#1 » by F N 11 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:09 am

I don’t think RJ is being talked about enough. He already took a major leap. When he puts it all together he can be a great player.

They said he can’t go right, he did that. They said he’s not clutch, he showed that. No one thought he would shoot 40 % from 3 even though it’s only good 3s. The percentage gets ridiculous the last 40 games or so. He’s already working on his twitch and off the dribble shooting. Even Fournier mentioned how Steve Clifford was shocked at how many 3s RJ had one game citing his improvement.

Hanlen said he had a long term plan with RJ. He said he will not do everything in 1 offseason, instead working on a few specific skills every summer.

I mean we finally hit on a pick and people are acting like it’s not happening. He will get extended, I’m calling it now.

What is it going to take for Knicks fans to get 100% on board with RJ?
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,635

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#2 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:28 am

This is another important year for RJ. It's important for him to progress. I'd like to see him be able to show off some improvement on moves to free himself open for 3s, pull-up 2s, and finishing strong at the rim. He doesn't even have to be an All-Star this year. Oh, and show more consistency from half-to-half, game-to-game, etc., which I think comes with maturity and development.

But if he doesn't improve or even dare I say regresses, then it's going to get interesting especially since any major player transactions next year are predicted to happen via the trade route as opposed to FA.
Free Palestine
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,895

Post#3 » by DaGawd » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:40 am

F N 11 wrote:I don’t think RJ is being talked about enough. He already took a major leap. When he puts it all together he can be a great player.

They said he can’t go right, he did that. They said he’s not clutch, he showed that. No one thought he would shoot 40 % from 3 even though it’s only good 3s. The percentage gets ridiculous the last 40 games or so. He’s already working on his twitch and off the dribble shooting. Even Fournier mentioned how Steve Clifford was shocked at how many 3s RJ had one game citing his improvement.

Hanlen said he had a long term plan with RJ. He said he will not be do everything in 1 offseason, instead working on a few specific skills every summer.

I mean we finally hit on a pick and people are acting like it’s not happening. He will get extended, I’m calling it now.

What is it going to take for Knicks fans to get 100% on board with RJ?

I must’ve missed these parts.. especially the go right part
BaF
Washington Wizards
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,905

Post#4 » by KnixtapeH20 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:49 am

F N 11 wrote:. Even Fournier mentioned how Steve Clifford was shocked at how many 3s RJ had one game citing his improvement.

Yea he said when he was with the celtics Brad Stevens was like RJ already has like 6 threes or something haha

That Fournier interview on knicksfanTV was everything
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,539

Post#5 » by cgmw » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:34 am

Lowkey best hope for Leon’s Knicks is breakout RJ.

I’m keeping my expectations in check because of the shots he’ll lose now that Kemba/Fournier replace Elf/Bullock.

But it’s definitely in the realm of possibility for RJ to continue his ascent toward bonafide star.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,724

Post#6 » by aggo » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:23 am

I always thought after watching his rookie year that he could develop into khris Middleton if he ever could fix his shooting.

the biggest area he needs to improve now is being able to create in iso and to have go to and counter moves from the 3pt line. He's got a lot of time because of how young he is, but I think this year is a big moment for him because he's fixed his spot up 3pt shooting and now the question is if he can be more than a #4 option. I think having him next to better creators in fournier/kemba will really be interesting to see if RJ can benefit and show us more than just being a outlet spot up 3 guy next year.
Junior
And1: 379

Post#7 » by 2020 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:43 am

RJ can hep lead us to the promised land if he improves.

8-)

Yea I said it!
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,513

Post#8 » by NYKnickerbocker » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:48 am

With better players around him. I’m mainly looking for his efficiency and decision making to improve. More assist and better efficiency. Wouldn’t be mad if he scored around the same level. Also would be nice to see some Variety added to his arsenal
Separatista
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#9 » by Separatista » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:41 am

I want to see some off the dribble shots but not some fancy step back shenanigans. Just simple one dribble pullup.
I’m expecting the assist numbers to go down but to counter that, I want RJ to be aggressive and active at the boards and defense.
Bring back that forceful drive but with some added technicality and finese.
Keep the free throw shooting numbers and 3 ball.

So basically, if RJ added a midrange game, he’ll be an all around player.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#10 » by DrCoach » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:57 am

If he adds one improvement to his game ill be content
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,139

Post#11 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:09 pm

I’d like to see better finishing at the basket. I think those numbers are going to go up with more spacing now though.

And repeat that delicious three point percentage.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,254

Post#12 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:33 pm

He is getting brawny and is physically capable of backing down a lot of guys so more skill at finishing at the rim and a step back spin jumper from the post would make him hard to defend
ImageImageImage
Davis18
Senior
And1: 706

Post#13 » by Davis18 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:06 pm

I expect significant 3rd year improvement such as SGA & Jaylen Brown had. He needs a post game a la Kawhi.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,562

Post#14 » by mpharris36 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:16 pm

Read on Twitter

year 3 RJ in a nutshell
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,382

Post#15 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:20 pm

His handles need significant improvement and he needs to show the ability to create his own shot.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,303

Post#16 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:24 pm

He'll be a better player and will probably score less ppg this year
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#17 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:31 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:His handles need significant improvement and he needs to show the ability to create his own shot.

He needs to improve in an number of areas, but everything doesn't have to happen at once.

Even if he gets just enough handle to be able to get to the FT line extended jumper that is reliable, that would be pretty significant

If he could mix that with a post up game, I think that would be pretty helpful. Fournier and RJ are both 6'6"/6'7". RJ is strong and should be able to post up most guards. He's slow enough they might put a SF on him more often than not. But then Fournier could back down the SG.

Yes, I get Randle will be in the post a lot, but if his shooting holds, Randle can space the floor for them. They could both hit Randle with passes where he's on the move cutting from the 3 point line to the hoop.

I think RJ is going to work more on relocating and shooting 3's and 3's on the move. First off, that's what he and his trainer said they'd do. Also, it's more what the modern player does for the modern NBA, so figures that will take priority over handle, dribble drive etc, which I think will be focus of NEXT offseason, probably.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,125

Post#18 » by moocow007 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:49 pm

If I was RJ Barrett I would be spending most of my time working on my dribbling and shot creation (off the dribble). Secondary would be to look to set his teammates up more. This is especially the case since it seems that the team continues to plan on playing him at SG rather than as a forward. For him to justify his draft position, Knick fan expectations/hopes, etc. is to take his game up another level he needs to show that he can create easy shots (for himself or others) and not just shoot corner 3's or barrell to the basket like a Brahma bull. It's pretty clear that easy shots off the dribble and RJ Barrett are rare. I would suggest him looking at current day Demar Derozan as a realistic model of the type of player he can evolve into. Derozan has never been a magician with the ball (still isn't) and had similar problems RJ has when he was young, but he's figured out ways to create great looks for himself and his teammates by creating space and getting into open spots putting the ball on the floor.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,916

Post#19 » by god shammgod » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:55 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:His handles need significant improvement and he needs to show the ability to create his own shot.

He needs to improve in an number of areas, but everything doesn't have to happen at once.

Even if he gets just enough handle to be able to get to the FT line extended jumper that is reliable, that would be pretty significant

If he could mix that with a post up game, I think that would be pretty helpful. Fournier and RJ are both 6'6"/6'7". RJ is strong and should be able to post up most guards. He's slow enough they might put a SF on him more often than not. But then Fournier could back down the SG.

Yes, I get Randle will be in the post a lot, but if his shooting holds, Randle can space the floor for them. They could both hit Randle with passes where he's on the move cutting from the 3 point line to the hoop.

I think RJ is going to work more on relocating and shooting 3's and 3's on the move. First off, that's what he and his trainer said they'd do. Also, it's more what the modern player does for the modern NBA,
so figures that will take priority over handle, dribble drive etc, which I think will be focus of NEXT offseason, probably.

yes, all the best 3 & d players can do that.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#20 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:07 pm

god shammgod wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

I think RJ is going to work more on relocating and shooting 3's and 3's on the move. First off, that's what he and his trainer said they'd do. Also, it's more what the modern player does for the modern NBA,
so figures that will take priority over handle, dribble drive etc, which I think will be focus of NEXT offseason, probably.

yes, all the best 3 & d players can do that.

:D

Return to New York Knicks