ImageImageImage

Better or worse than Miami Heat 2020?

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

Riled Up
Senior
And1: 47

Better or worse than Miami Heat 2020? 

Post#1 » by Riled Up » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:46 am

Lots of moves this offseason but how do we compare with the with the 2020 Miami Heat team? Better or worse?

PG: Dragic, Nunn
SG: Robinson, Herro
SF: Butler, Iguodala, Jones
PF: Crowder, Olynyk
C: Adebayo, Leonard

PG: Lowry, Vincent
SF: Butler, Okpala, Strus
PF: Tucker, Morris
C: Adebayo, Dedmon

Seems like we still need a little more to even be as good as we were in 2020. Crowder, Olynyk and Leonard are much better than their 2022 replacements and provide much greater length.

6,7 or 8 seed in the East?
Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 15,632

Re: Better or worse than Miami Heat 2020? 

Post#2 » by Kobewade11 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 1:17 am

The 2020 team wasnt exactly lighting it up in the regular season, the long layoff going into the bubble made people forget that. They got hot at the right time. This year’s team isnt even complete to compare. And you’re severely overrating the trio of Crowder-Leonard-Olynyk. They’ve all been replaced by better defenders
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,613

Post#3 » by DayofMourning » Thu Aug 5, 2021 1:30 am

Wow. 707 posts in 18 years.
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,736

Post#4 » by contract » Thu Aug 5, 2021 3:20 am

Riled Up wrote:Lots of moves this offseason but how do we compare with the with the 2020 Miami Heat team? Better or worse?

Seems like we still need a little more to even be as good as we were in 2020. Crowder, Olynyk and Leonard are much better than their 2022 replacements and provide much greater length.

At least for a year or two, Lowry is a big get. If Herro improves we should be better. But that 2020 team was kind of a fluke. I think we're fighting for the 3rd/4th/5th seeds. I think we have a real shot at the 3rd seed if we don't drop too many games we should win. Not a great shot, but a legitimate one. Especially if Dipo gets back and makes a positive impact.

Of course there's a lot of time between now and next April so ...
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,405

Post#5 » by RexBoyWonder » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:40 am

Our faith will be decided by Bam's, Herro's, and Dipo's improvement.

2 young guys and 1 returning to health - we'll need them to take another step forward in order to contend.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,017

Post#6 » by DBurks2818 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:18 pm

As Rex said, it depends on the development of the young guys. If they do, as we expect they will, and if a competent vet PG is signed (which I think we also expect), the 2022 team is better everywhere except PF.
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,902

Post#7 » by eddieheatfan » Fri Aug 6, 2021 1:18 am

Riled Up wrote:Lots of moves this offseason but how do we compare with the with the 2020 Miami Heat team? Better or worse?

Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,164

Post#8 » by Heat3 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 1:58 pm

Probably about the same but it depends on if there is improvement from Adebayo/Herro. We’re better than last season but other teams got better too.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Riled Up
Senior
And1: 47

Post#9 » by Riled Up » Fri Aug 6, 2021 9:06 pm

DBurks2818 wrote:As Rex said, it depends on the development of the young guys. If they do, as we expect they will, and if a competent vet PG is signed (which I think we also expect), the 2022 team is better everywhere except PF.

Agree with yours and Rex's comments that the the roster is not complete, would like to see a competent vet PG as you suggest but I would also like to see them take a chance on Demarcus Cousins. If he bought in to the Heat culture he could seriously outperform his contract and provide the size and length needed to compete with the Bucks, Sixers, Lakers and others. Not an ideal signing but a high risk/reward type of measure for the end of the roster.

Feels like we will end up making a midyear roster adjustment.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,450

Post#10 » by gom » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:57 pm

I am very uncertain. Miami's team has a high ceiling, but it is hard to imagine them competing for a championship against powerful teams like the Nets and Bucks, not to mention the Hawks who we cannot beat at anything. It also has a depressingly low floor. The team will still rely on the 3-pt shot falling while the defense stops the opponent. Lowry needs to make the difference then.

So yeah, I'm worried, but I am always a fan, tven when it hurts.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
3ballbomber
General Manager
And1: 10,027

Post#11 » by 3ballbomber » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:40 am

gom wrote:I am very uncertain. Miami's team has a high ceiling, but it is hard to imagine them competing for a championship against powerful teams like the Nets and Bucks, not to mention the Hawks who we cannot beat at anything. It also has a depressingly low floor. The team will still rely on the 3-pt shot falling while the defense stops the opponent. Lowry needs to make the difference then.

So yeah, I'm worried, but I am always a fan, tven when it hurts.

As currently constructed, we are not a true contending team. We're built like the 2020 squad where we're waiting on that whale to add to the strength we got, which will then make us legit contenders. That was where Giannis was supposed to come in & put us over the top.

We are again waiting on that prolific scorer/whale to put us over the top after adding to the strength of this roster. We're close but not quite there. But, imo, we are most def better than 2020 team because i see Bam & Herro both stepping up this season.
Championship teams experience adversities. We in that process. Started gm1. Remember this time. Remember this pain. Our time is coming...

Built the right way. Play the right way. Win the right way . .

Virtue, Ethics & Honor
3ballbomber
General Manager
And1: 10,027

Post#12 » by 3ballbomber » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:43 am

RexBoyWonder wrote:Our faith will be decided by Bam's, Herro's, and Dipo's improvement.

2 young guys and 1 returning to health - we'll need them to take another step forward in order to contend.

Absolutely! This is where Bam, especially, has to dig deep & help lead this team. He is the player most of us think we still need, to make us true contenders. But he needs to stop f*cking around, grow some balls & apply the pressure on himself to take that leap! If Herro does the same this season we're in for one hell of a ride.
Championship teams experience adversities. We in that process. Started gm1. Remember this time. Remember this pain. Our time is coming...

Built the right way. Play the right way. Win the right way . .

Virtue, Ethics & Honor
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#13 » by HeatFanLifer » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:26 am

2021 but larger font
OP for NBA FT record
vincent
Rookie
And1: 150

Post#14 » by vincent » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:42 pm

DayofMourning wrote:Wow. 707 posts in 18 years.

Hey don't knock it .....

Fun facts :
- The Miami Heat surpassed the Knicks in championships
- Only the Lakers, Bulls, Celtics and Spurs have more championships
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#15 » by HeatIn5 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:31 pm

We are better

Tucker/Morris > Ariza/Belly or Kelly
We have a full year of Dedmon now
Come when it matters we will have Lowry/Oladipo

Herro and Duncan are each going to be a year better
Read on Twitter
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,613

Post#16 » by DayofMourning » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:08 am

vincent wrote:

Hey don't knock it .....

Need moar Vincenzo... Some of you part time, part time posters really have good stuff to contribute.
Shootit
Junior
And1: 633

Post#17 » by Shootit » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:58 pm

And then there is me who contributes nothing.

I think the team is better on paper. What will be key is health and chemistry throughout the season. Felt like the team couldn't get out of a traffic jam of injuries and guys sort of being complacent at times. Seemed like Herro was distracted(at times) and some guys just tried too hard to get others going instead of setting the tone.

Maybe it was fatigue from the Bubble and/or thinking it could simply click again without everyone giving 100%.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,125

Post#18 » by dolphinatik » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:45 am

Leaning on worse than 2020, better than last year though. Anything is an improvement over last year but we have been trending down and we have less roster consistency and chemistry than the 2020 squad. Guys were allowed to play their own game but now the extra tweaking, higher expectations and opponents scouting and game planning are against us.

No matter what happens its a win if we get any solid development from any of our young guys.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,409

Post#19 » by IceColdCubano » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:32 pm

HerroBalls wrote:We are better

Tucker/Morris > Ariza/Belly or Kelly
We have a full year of Dedmon now
Come when it matters we will have Lowry/Oladipo

Herro and Duncan are each going to be a year better

The above is flawed it's more a yes and no for me.

Tucker/morris while better defensively than Ariza/belly or Kelly slightly lose out on offensively to Ariza/Belly/Kelly
Dedmon is a seasoned vet, who plays a specific role in any team, there isn't additional growth that were going to be getting from him. what you see is what you get.
Lowry/Oladipo are predicated based on health. Can Dipo be back to 70% of himself, can Lowry stay healthy all year our depth at PG is slim. Even so we lost offensive output from Nunn/Dragic together as a whole vs Lowry. Can't expect Lowry to score 30+ PPG which is what both those guys provided over a whole scheme.
We are hoping that both Hero, Duncan can increase their offensive output to make up for losses in offensive punches from our bench.

All in All we are kinda in the middle ground where this could go well or really bad.....or somewhere in the middle which kinda sets us at last year's team or slightly better.
These acquisitions were made really as a stop gap for the next 2-3 years hoping our young guys can make the jumps we hope and we can then fill out the team to fit around them in the future. Realistically nobody is looking at this team and saying were playing in the Finals. That bubble year was everything that could go right,and every player playing above their expectations in the playoffs, that will not be replicated.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#20 » by HIF » Tue Sep 7, 2021 10:08 am

708 :D
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:

Return to Miami Heat