ImageImageImageImageImage

Reclamation/Recycling

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Reclamation/Recycling 

Post#1 » by badinage » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:16 pm

I just noticed a pattern to Tommy Shepp’s method — what we might call the Tommy Shepp Way.

Whether out of necessity or philosophy, or both, he has shown a pattern of:

— buying low
— reclaiming/recycling

Consider:

* Thomas Bryant (an afterthought in LA, albeit one with first-round talent)

* Davis Bertans (swooped in and stole, from SA, a player who, while not at all perfect, is one of the leading “gravity” guys in the league and has an elite skill [that he didn’t really show in SA])

* Daniel Gafford (underappreciated/undervalued in Chicago, and a poor fit for that team)

* Kyle Kuzma (suppressed value as a role player with limited usage in LBJ’s orbit)

* Montrezl Harrell (a down year, owing to a poor fit in LA after winning Sixth Man of the Year with LAC)

* Aaron Holiday (a poor fit in Indy, a chaotic last year with a depressed, flailing coach)

* Spencer Dinwiddie (an injured 20-21, but before that — a player who helped lead the culture reset in Brooklyn, and put them in position to nab Durant and Irving and become an AAU star team)

* Raul Neto (a zero in Philly, but rejuvenated here — had a fantastic season in 20-21 here)

That’s 2/3 of the team!

At some point, he won’t hit on a guy. That’s just inevitable.

But so far, so remarkable!
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Re: Reclamation/Recycling 

Post#2 » by Dat2U » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:01 pm

The Kuz/Harrell acquisitions were more about equalling up salary for Westbrook per his trade request to LA so I don't know how we can say he targeted those two. We also don't know that these new acquisitions will necessarily break out here or be considered undervalued after this season. Kuz & Harrell especially are going to be fighting for minutes when the roster is fully healthy.

Shepp's tendencies or 'method' is more indicative of using his limited resources to maximize return & value. He had to hunt through the bargain bin to fill out a roster due to max deals we had. Most of these moves have been on the edges without sacrificing a ton of capital, flexibility or salary.

I think the Gafford acquisition was real his 'tour de force'. Probably saved his job if we're being honest. The season and the Westbrook acquisition had been a complete flop up until that trade. Gafford turned out to be exactly what we needed at the time.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,111

Post#3 » by J-Ves » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:12 pm

A few other reclamation projects: Bonga, Wagner, Robinson. The Bonga+Wagner deal was a great move that just didn’t work out. Both guys showed flashes while in DC and I still think it’s in the realm of possibility that they could become rotational players in the NBA one day. Robinson turned out to be a lost cause but I think that falls under “you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”. Unfortunately for the Wiz, JRob also missed the shots he did take.

Hutch is another possible candidate, but I think he was more likely the cost to acquire Gaff and not a player that Sheppard coveted.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#4 » by payitforward » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:40 am

This is cool. For sure, his buying low has been out of necessity. When Tommy took over, we had nothing.

We basically let the whole team walk, or else moved them at the next deadline, keeping only Brad, John, Troy, Mahinmi & Bryant. Given the salaries of the first 2, & having nothing at all to trade, Tommy filled out the team via the draft & whatever he could get cheap.

OTOH, as to Davis having "an elite skill he didn't really show in SA," that's not truly the case, is it? Davis shot the 3 in volume for the Spurs, & he shot a higher % his last year there than he did for us. Also a higher % on 2-point attempts. & on FTs as well. He had a higher TS% for SA his last year there than he did for us. Overall, his last season in SA was his best statistically.

Of course, he shot even more for us than for them -- & exceptionally well given the increased usage. But then he went downhill of course. We'll have to see whether he actually reclaims that elite skill.

Given the above, I don't think "reclamation/recycling" can be called his "method." For me, at least, the highlight of what he's accomplished was in moving John Wall's contract & then moving Russ for real assets.

I do think he's "opportunistic." & it seems to me that he has a lot of useful relationships around the league. He seems especially able to deal productively with the Lakers. In the end, however, the only real measure is the team's success. We haven't seen that yet. If we'd drafted well, it might be easier to predict success. But, who knows...? We have a new coach, a new season, & a bunch of new players. Brad is the only holdover from Ernie. Every one of the other 14 guys was the work of Tommy Sheppard..
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#5 » by Ed Wood » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:19 am

I think there's a meaningful distinction to be drawn between the "buy low" contracts extended to veterans and the prospect reclamation attempts. Both are reflective of working within limits to the kind of transactional improvements available to be pursued (i.e. that the team can't sign genuine, unambiguously elite free agents) but beyond that the buy low deals are essentially just consistent competence - paying appropriate or below par value for veterans with established NBA-level skills isn't a style or particularly illuminating - it's just the job. The second habit - the reclaimed prospects - is arguably also just part and parcel to being a diligent front office, but is arguably more instructive in re: the front office's opinions of the roster and the parameters under which it's operating. The frequency with which we're taking those flyers suggests, to my eye, a front office more inclined toward a more aggressive, process-style rebuild than may be available to it.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#6 » by pancakes3 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:51 pm

i think he's done a hell of a job.
Bullets -> Wizards
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#7 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:26 pm

Dat2U wrote:The Kuz/Harrell acquisitions were more about equalling up salary for Westbrook per his trade request to LA so I don't know how we can say he targeted those two. We also don't know that these new acquisitions will necessarily break out here or be considered undervalued after this season. Kuz & Harrell especially are going to be fighting for minutes when the roster is fully healthy.

Shepp's tendencies or 'method' is more indicative of using his limited resources to maximize return & value. He had to hunt through the bargain bin to fill out a roster due to max deals we had. Most of these moves have been on the edges without sacrificing a ton of capital, flexibility or salary.

I think the Gafford acquisition was real his 'tour de force'. Probably saved his job if we're being honest. The season and the Westbrook acquisition had been a complete flop up until that trade. Gafford turned out to be exactly what we needed at the time.

Not if the starting lineup features both Kuzma and Harrell.

Just by the numbers, Kuzma SF, Harrell PF, Bryant C; rebounds like crazy, makes threes (a Trez revelation that will rival Gafford's breakout), and scores well.

Gafford and Harrell convert like crazy around the basket.

Dinwiddie will be the ideal backcourt partner to Beal

Hachimura can establish himself as sixth--man or Gafford can, both starter-quality off the bench.

This year the Wizards are going to surprise.
Bye bye Beal.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#8 » by badinage » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:43 pm

Dat2U wrote:The Kuz/Harrell acquisitions were more about equalling up salary for Westbrook per his trade request to LA so I don't know how we can say he targeted those two. We also don't know that these new acquisitions will necessarily break out here or be considered undervalued after this season. Kuz & Harrell especially are going to be fighting for minutes when the roster is fully healthy.

Doesn't matter what or he was targeting; what matters is who he has brought in.

And what also matters is: Kuz and Harrell -- and Gafford, and Holiday, and Bryant, and Dinwiddie, etc. -- were all undervalued before coming here.

You say he's just using his limited resources to maximize return and value. Uh, yeah? (I say, in my best vocal fry, with full-on upspeak) that's the job, right?

He didn't have squat to work with when he started two years ago. And he still isn't flush with glossy assets. So, I think we can step back and look at what he did, now and over the past two years, and say: he's clearly gone after a certain kind of guy.

Who is that guy? A guy who has been undervalued, for whatever reason -- roster shuffle and a changed role that doesn't ultimately suit him; a team that was a poor fit to begin with; team turmoil and coaching problems; etc.

You pooh-pooh and say: well, he's just trying to make some chicken salad with what he's got.

I'm saying: he clearly said, "This is a reasonable gamble, to go after these guys. We aren't loaded with No. 1s. We don't have a second all-star in his prime. This isn't LA or NY or Miami. But if we hit on half of these guys, plus continued development from our picks, plus continued growth from Brad Beal, I'll be able to put us in position to swing for a game-changer. Who would come in to an established culture, and one with identity and depth."

A clear strategy, in other words.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#9 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:17 am

Everything about Westbrook is actually about Wall. Two years ago we were all saying that Wall weighed on the team with the worst contract in the league. It was unmovable, & he was injured.

What Tommy did was turn that unmovable contract, plus a protected R1 pick in 2023, into Kuzma, Harrell, KCP, & the #22 pick in the 2021 draft. It ought to be completely obvious what an extraordinary accomplishment that was. All the more in that it gave us the financial flexibility to acquire Spencer Dinwiddie.

Add the trade of that #22 pick for Holiday & the pick we used on Todd, & what you see is that Wall & a protected pick got us 6 players. I doubt anyone imagined something like that could be done. Add Neto off the scrap heat, Thomas Bryant for nothing & Bertans for a TPE, & that's 9 of our players. Beal we already had. Gafford cost us Troy Brown -- definitely a deal worth doing & then some!

Add the last 3 R1 picks plus Gill for nothing, & that's your Washington Wizards right now. Created from, essentially, nothing -- in 2 years.

There have been a few mistakes along the way, to be sure: we should have traded down in the '19 draft (we'd have Clarke, Thybulle & Johnson). We should have taken a R1 pick for Bertans (We'd have Payton Pritchard or Desmond Bane). We shouldn't have re-signed him for such a lot of $$$. We probably should have taken Tyrese Haliburton in '20. We should have traded up from 37 that year to get Xavier Tillman. & we could have gotten more than Todd out of the #31 pick this year.

But, it's what Tommy did do that counts. A whole lot of good stuff.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards