ImageImageImage

Whose jersey/number should the Mavs retire (if any/besides Dirk)?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Whose jersey/number should the Mavs retire (if any)?

Mark Aguirre
14%
Michael Finley
11%
Steve Nash
11%
Jason Terry
14%
Jason Kidd
11%
J.J. Barea
14%
Someone else (Devin Harris, Tyson Chandler, Shawn Marion, Josh Howard,...)
6%
Nobody (except Dirk of course)
17%

Total votes: 35

-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,056

Whose jersey/number should the Mavs retire (if any/besides Dirk)? 

Post#1 » by -Luke- » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:16 pm

I thought about this last week, when the youtube algorithm suggested the video of Derek Harper's jersey retirement. Today I saw a similar thread on the Spurs forum.

I think we can ignore Dirk here. There is probably no/hardly any clearer jersey retirement in NBA history.

Do you think anyone else deserves it?
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,391

Re: Whose jersey/number should the Mavs retire (if any/besides Dirk)? 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:18 pm

I voted Nobody, but if there's anyone to consider, it's JET, maybe Finely, but meh, he had to be amnestied in 2005, because relative to his contribution late in his Mavs career, he was a negative because of his contract.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Post#3 » by dirkforpres » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:45 pm

Nobody. I think only the top 50-100 players in league history should have numbers retired from their respected teams. When it gets to guys like Brad Davis and Kobe (on the Mavs) getting their number retired, then it gets a bit campy. Dirk and maybe Kidd are the only ones that should be considered so far
FIRE JASON KIDD
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#4 » by Mr B » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:21 pm

JJ Barea deserves to have his jersey retired. He’s contributed more to the Mavs than Brad Davis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,814

Post#5 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:47 pm

Jet and Aguirre
-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,056

Post#6 » by -Luke- » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:33 am

As someone who has only been an NBA fan since the late '90s: is there any reasonable reason why Davis and Harper have their numbers retired, but not Aguirre? All three were among the "first Mavs" that made the franchise relevant almost immediately. And Aguirre was by far the best of them.

Sure, Davis and Harper played longer with the Mavs, but Aguirre got traded. Did he ask out or was his departure somewhat "ugly"? Has anyone (Cuban?) ever commented on this?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#7 » by Mr B » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:02 pm

-Luke- wrote:As someone who has only been an NBA fan since the late '90s: is there any reasonable reason why Davis and Harper have their numbers retired, but not Aguirre? All three were among the "first Mavs" that made the franchise relevant almost immediately. And Aguirre was by far the best of them.

Sure, Davis and Harper played longer with the Mavs, but Aguirre got traded. Did he ask out or was his departure somewhat "ugly"? Has anyone (Cuban?) ever commented on this?

The reason is Aguirre never wanted to play here. He was a star that did not like playing for the Mavs. He made that known during his time in Dallas too. He didn’t get along with Dick Motta, or even some of his teammates like Blackman. He was a huge malcontent while in Dallas. Don Carter really liked him though so eventually conceded and traded him to Detroit for Adrian Dantley. He won two rings in Detroit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#8 » by fuller4379 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:19 pm

Retired numbers:

No. 12 Derek Harper
In 12 seasons with the Mavs, Derek Harper averaged 14.4 points, 5.9 assists and 1.8 steals in 872 games while shooting 46.9 percent from the field. He’s one of the best point guards in franchise history.

Harper is currently Dallas’ television analyst. He’s been in the role with Fox Sports since 2005. Harper is also the franchise leader in assists with 5,111 and steals with 1,551.

No. 15 Brad Davis
Brad Davis appeared in 883 games with the Mavs. He finished his Dallas career with solid averages of 8.6 points and 5.1 assists over 12 seasons.

Davis does radio for the Mavs at the moment. He is seventh in franchise history in points scored with 7,623

No. 22 Rolando Blackman
A four-time All-Star, Rolando Blackman averaged 19.2 points, 3.6 boards and 3.2 assists in 865 games with the Mavs. The shooting guard played 11 seasons in Dallas.

Blackman scored 16,643 points with the Mavs. He’s second in franchise history in points behind Nowitzki.

No. 24 Kobe Bryant
Mark Cuban said the franchise was retiring No. 24 to honor Los Angeles Lakers legend Kobe Bryant, who tragically passed away in a helicopter crash in January of 2020.

The Mavericks need to unretire numbers 15 and 24. Retiring Kobe's number was stupid and Davis was just a glue guy without much talent.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#9 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:01 pm

Aguirre for sure. I'd do Finley, JET, and JJB, and then I'd consider Kidd and Nash. I'd prolly go ahead and do Chandler's too just because SOOOOOOOO many people credit him for changing around the defensive attitude and whatnot for the championship run. His legend is strong in Dallas, so just give it to him. Immortalize him in franchise history.

I'm hesitant to do Kidd and Nash right now, but if you do all the others I named, then I think you just gotta do Kidd and Nash.

No thanks on Devin Harris and Josh Howard though.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#10 » by Mr B » Thu Jan 6, 2022 3:56 am

Anyone see Dirk’s jersey retirement ceremony? Or Kidd offering him a 10 day contract? Lol

Read on Twitter
?s=21
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Jan 6, 2022 8:07 pm

Luka deserves it now tbh.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Post#12 » by HMFFL » Thu Jan 6, 2022 11:58 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:Aguirre for sure. I'd do Finley, JET, and JJB, and then I'd consider Kidd and Nash. I'd prolly go ahead and do Chandler's too just because SOOOOOOOO many people credit him for changing around the defensive attitude and whatnot for the championship run. His legend is strong in Dallas, so just give it to him. Immortalize him in franchise history.

I'm hesitant to do Kidd and Nash right now, but if you do all the others I named, then I think you just gotta do Kidd and Nash.

it's a no for Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, and Tyson Chandler.
I wanted Tyson Chandler when he failed his physical with OKC, Jason Kidd was my favorite point guard in the 90's, and I always respected Steve Nash, but they're not deserving.

Jason Kidd needs to win us a championship as our head coach now for him to deserve it. We can't just give it to players because they happened to be key pieces to our championship run.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Mr B
RealGM

Post#13 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 7, 2022 8:28 am

HMFFL wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:Aguirre for sure. I'd do Finley, JET, and JJB, and then I'd consider Kidd and Nash. I'd prolly go ahead and do Chandler's too just because SOOOOOOOO many people credit him for changing around the defensive attitude and whatnot for the championship run. His legend is strong in Dallas, so just give it to him. Immortalize him in franchise history.

I wanted Tyson Chandler when he failed his physical with OKC, Jason Kidd was my favorite point guard in the 90's, and I always respected Steve Nash, but they're not deserving.

Jason Kidd needs to win us a championship as our head coach now for him to deserve it. We can't just give it to players because they happened to be key pieces to our championship run.

I agree that Kidd, Nash, and Tyson shouldn’t have their jerseys retired. The bigger question for me is does JJ Barea deserve to have his jersey retired?
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#14 » by arkuo » Fri Jan 7, 2022 10:09 am

Cuban retiring 24 is a marketing stunt. Hoping Dallas would look cool to African American players. Because if it were sincere then Cuban better be ready to cross numbers off his list like a Bingo card when guys like Bird, Magic and Jordan kick the bucket.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#15 » by fuller4379 » Fri Jan 7, 2022 3:48 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:Luka deserves it now tbh.

Why? So far he has done nothing. Two first round playoff exits. He still needs several years and playoff success to earn that honor.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#16 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 7, 2022 5:37 pm

arkuo wrote:Cuban retiring 24 is a marketing stunt. Hoping Dallas would look cool to African American players. Because if it were sincere then Cuban better be ready to cross numbers off his list like a Bingo card when guys like Bird, Magic and Jordan kick the bucket.

I don’t agree with that at all. Cuban is just a fan boy and has a huge amount of respect for Kobe. I agree that he shouldn’t have retired 24 though.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Post#17 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 7, 2022 10:47 pm

Mr B wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

I agree that Kidd, Nash, and Tyson shouldn’t have their jerseys retired. The bigger question for me is does JJ Barea deserve to have his jersey retired?
Absolutely not. Why would we?
Another 2011 key piece but not worthy of his jersey being retired.

After he went to Minnesota we brought him back as a role player for seven seasons and paid him nearly the minimum. Thank you JJ and you're welcome.

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#18 » by Pinkyring » Sat Jan 8, 2022 7:14 am

Nobody there should be a ring of honor to recognize guys but Jersey retirement should be reserved for the greats
Mr B
RealGM

Post#19 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 8, 2022 7:21 am

HMFFL wrote:
Mr B wrote:
HMFFL wrote:it's a no for Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, and Tyson Chandler.

After he went to Minnesota we brought him back as a role player for seven seasons and paid him nearly the minimum. Thank you JJ and you're welcome.

Fan favorite, key player off the bench on a title team. Played 10 years with the Mavs. Not quite a Mavs lifer but close. I don’t know many that blame him taking the money in Minnesota. Dallas wasn’t going to pay him what he had earned. To take care of his family he took the money, can’t blame him for that. Most also expect that he will be part of the Mavs again at some point as a coach. He’s basically this generation’s Brad Davis.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:40 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Mr B wrote:
HMFFL wrote:it's a no for Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, and Tyson Chandler.

Fair enough, but they did retire Brad Davis' number/jersey. JJ was a lot like him tbh.

Return to Dallas Mavericks