ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part Nine) (READ FIRST POST)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,961

Trade Talk (Part Nine) (READ FIRST POST) 

Post#1 » by Domejandro » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:01 am

Trade Talk (Part Eight) has been closed because the thread was a disaster. This thread will have clearer guidelines.

1. Personal attacks will result in a suspension.

Calling other posters "stupid" or a "waste" is pointless and drives down the overall discourse. Posters who engage in directly attacking other posters will receive suspensions. Consider the last thread as the warning, no excuses.

2. All Ben Simmons discussion will be isolated in an alternative thread.

Please click this sentence if you wish to discuss Ben Simmons. Any mention of trading for Ben Simmons in this thread will lead to posts being transferred to that thread or deleted.

3. Treat fans of other teams with respect.

Attacking these posters will not be tolerated in any way. If you disagree with a proposal they put forward, you can be respectful while explaining your disagreements. Treat the posters how you would treat a guest in your house.

4. If a poster breaks these rules, use the Report function.

If a poster personally attacks you or another poster, it is your responsibility to report that post to allow moderators to handle the post, if necessary. Derailing the thread by responding with your own personal attack may result in an equal suspension.

Previous Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2117447
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,396

Re: Trade Talk (Part Nine) (READ FIRST POST) 

Post#2 » by winforlose » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:29 am

@Shrink, my three team suggestion was on the other thread, but because you missed it, Wolves send V8 and a lottery protected first to Grizzlies (they want the pick rather than more players because they already have too many,) Griz send Brooks to Cavs along with their second round pick, (Cavs have been linked to wanting Brooks and Griz have been linked to wanting to trade Brooks and Anderson,) Cavs send Nance to Wolves. I didn’t run this through trade machine yet, but with a sign and trade of V8 and a possible addition of Layman to either team the math should work.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#3 » by Norseman79 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:06 pm

One player I would like to kick the tires on more is Christian Wood.

First, why would Houston want to trade him? They wouldn't. Which means it would probably take a bit of an overpay. But,he is 25, and if they want to build around Green, acquiring assets may be their best shot.

Second, why would MN want him? I mean, he fits timeline. He is a legit sized PF that hits 37% from 3, is a respectable defender and rebounder. His price would be less than other names being mentioned.

Third,the proposal.
MN out- Prince, Reid, 2022 top 5 protected first, rights to Bolmero
In - Wood, House

Hou out - Wood, House
In - Reid, Prince, Bolmero, top 5 protected first

Lineup
Russell, Beverly
Edwards, Beasley, Nowell
McDaniels, House
Wood, Vanderbilt (re-sign)
Towns, Hartenstein (FA)
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#4 » by SO_MONEY » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:25 pm

Norseman79 wrote:One player I would like to kick the tires on more is Christian Wood.

First, why would Houston want to trade him? They wouldn't. Which means it would probably take a bit of an overpay. But,he is 25, and if they want to build around Green, acquiring assets may be their best shot.

Second, why would MN want him? I mean, he fits timeline. He is a legit sized PF that hits 37% from 3, is a respectable defender and rebounder. His price would be less than other names being mentioned.

Third,the proposal.
In - Wood, House

Hou out - Wood, House

Lineup
Russell, Beverly
Edwards, Beasley, Nowell
McDaniels, House
Towns, Hartenstein (FA)

I actually wouldn't target Wood on HOU, but using a 2nd and expiring to get Tate, Thomas or Martin would interest me if we could pull it. I would keep our guys in this instance. There is just something about Wood that doesn't sit right with me, how he was on multiple teams, struggled to get PT, fell out of rotations ect... Then gets paid gets PT on a bad team with few primary options...too many red flags for me. I would just keep and pay Reid, develop a defensive playmaking wing like Bol, and have a pick at some point. I am not sure what Wood's trade value is, but this seems way, way too high.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#5 » by Norseman79 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:32 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:One player I would like to kick the tires on more is Christian Wood.

Third,the proposal.
In - Wood, House

Hou out - Wood, House

Lineup
Russell, Beverly
Edwards, Beasley, Nowell
McDaniels, House
Towns, Hartenstein (FA)

I actually wouldn't target Wood on HOU, but using a 2nd and expiring to get Tate, Thomas or Martin would interest me if we could pull it. I would keep our guys in this instance. There is just something about Wood that doesn't sit right with me, how he was on multiple teams, struggled to get PT, fell out of rotations ect... Then gets paid gets PT on a bad team with few primary options...too many red flags for me. I would just keep and pay Reid, develop a defensive playmaking wing like Bol, and have a pick at some point. I am not sure what Wood's trade value is, but this seems way, way too high.

That is a fair take, and honestly I haven't watched him play much, but the little I have he seems to check boxes. It is an admitted overpay, but I think his asking price would be high due to his friendly contract.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by SO_MONEY » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:01 pm

Norseman79 wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:

Third,the proposal.
In - Wood, House

Hou out - Wood, House

Lineup
Russell, Beverly
Edwards, Beasley, Nowell
McDaniels, House
Towns, Hartenstein (FA)

That is a fair take, and honestly I haven't watched him play much, but the little I have he seems to check boxes. It is an admitted overpay, but I think his asking price would be high due to his friendly contract.

My guess to his value is that it sits right around A. Gordon. He would get an expiring, young player and a pick, maybe you could eek out an extra modest asset above what Gordon brought back.

In your trade I would drop House and Bol form the deal and the pick needs to be more protected. Then drop a couple of 2nds in. The thing with Houston is they just might want to move him though, they are rebuilding, he probably isn't what they want at this moment. But again I do think he has red flags not sure if that is actually perceived or just a figment of my imagination...
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,396

Post#7 » by winforlose » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:48 pm

I wonder what Paul Reed costs? His game is more geared toward playing Center, but I wonder if he could guard the PF or is he too slow? Did anyone see him in the G league last year?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,602

Post#8 » by shrink » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:37 pm

I think players like Christian Wood and Jerami Grant would cost too much in trade.

On their current (bad) teams, they are pseudo-stars - here they would be complimentary players, fourth or fifth in the pecking order for shots. I feel we need a defensive glue guy who is happy with that role. Rosas said it better - high impact, low usage players.
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#9 » by TaylorTag » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:06 pm

What is Cleveland doing
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#10 » by jpatrick » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:07 pm

winforlose wrote:Something occurred to me and I figured I would ask it here to anyone in favor of a Simmons trade. Are the Wolves equal to or better than the 76ers without Simmons? I ask because they couldn’t win a title with Simmons, and if we are not as good or better how can we? Is the goal simply to be a playoff team, or is it to win titles? The 76ers want to move on from Simmons because after years of coaching and development they are realized Simmons is a guy who cannot help them win championships. I don’t see him fitting better here.

So you only want players that have won championships? No, Philly hasn’t won a championship with Simmons. They did finish with the best record in the EC last year however. Further, they were a crazy lucky four bounce shot from Leonard a couple years ago from beating the Raptors and probably winning the title.

Simmons is a great player that is flawed. He is a MUCH better fit here than in Philly with their poor spacing. And while Embiid is clearly the best player on either team right now, I think with Towns, DLo, Edwards, and McDaniels, in the next 2-3 years, this will be the most talented roster he has ever played with. With the combo of improved fit/talent, yes, I think they could win a title (always a long shot as only one winner per year).
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#11 » by TaylorTag » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:07 pm

We couldn't have gotten in on this ??? ESPN Sources: Cleveland’s acquiring Chicago’s Lauri Markkanen in three-way sign and trade with Portland. Bulls get Derrick Jones Jr., POR’s lottery protected future 1st and Cavs’ future second-rounder. POR gets Larry Nance Jr.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by jpatrick » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:10 pm

MPLSwolves wrote:We couldn't have gotten in on this ??? ESPN Sources: Cleveland’s acquiring Chicago’s Lauri Markkanen in three-way sign and trade with Portland. Bulls get Derrick Jones Jr., POR’s lottery protected future 1st and Cavs’ future second-rounder. POR gets Larry Nance Jr.

Everyone gets a new PF....well, except for us.

I really think Rosas is pushing all chips into the Simmons basket. It’s the only thing that makes sense. If we miss out, no real PF options left out there. Vando/Prince at PF doesn’t scream playoffs to me.

Lauri gets almost 17m per year. They have ALOT of money tied up in their bigs: Allen, Mobley, Lauri, and Love. They have to do everything possible to dump Love at this point, right?
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,984

Post#13 » by wolves_89 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:15 pm

MPLSwolves wrote:We couldn't have gotten in on this ??? ESPN Sources: Cleveland’s acquiring Chicago’s Lauri Markkanen in three-way sign and trade with Portland. Bulls get Derrick Jones Jr., POR’s lottery protected future 1st and Cavs’ future second-rounder. POR gets Larry Nance Jr.

If Nance was available, I really don't understand why we traded for Prince instead. Prince is at best an ok combo forward off the bench, Nance could have been the clear starting PF.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by SO_MONEY » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:17 pm

winforlose wrote:Something occurred to me and I figured I would ask it here to anyone in favor of a Simmons trade. Are the Wolves equal to or better than the 76ers without Simmons? I ask because they couldn’t win a title with Simmons, and if we are not as good or better how can we? Is the goal simply to be a playoff team, or is it to win titles? The 76ers want to move on from Simmons because after years of coaching and development they are realized Simmons is a guy who cannot help them win championships. I don’t see him fitting better here.

I think the goal is to surround him with a deeper team where he has less responsibility, winning with him in that role is different than the role PHI has him in, but really expensive to have him in it.

Without Simmons the teams are similar Embid is better than KAT, Harris is better than DLo, Beasley is better than Curry, but they also have Green, ANT is better than any option to compare...Maxey?. McDaniels and Thybulle are defensive wings, Reid vs Drummond, Korkmas vs LB/Prince, Milton/Springer vs Jmac?/Beverly, Reed vs Vanderbilt...so I get your point. PHI probably still has the edge and that is a bit concerning and before we send out assets.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by jpatrick » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:18 pm

wolves_89 wrote:

If Nance was available I really don't understand why we traded for Prince instead. Prince is at best an ok combo forward off the bench, Nance could have been the clear starting PF.

Portland gave up a FRP to get Nance. Rosas clearly wasn’t willing to do so.
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#16 » by IceManBK1 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:21 pm

jpatrick wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:

If Nance was available I really don't understand why we traded for Prince instead. Prince is at best an ok combo forward off the bench, Nance could have been the clear starting PF.

Maybe Portland would reroute Nance to us for Beasley.
wolves_89
Head Coach

Post#17 » by wolves_89 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:21 pm

jpatrick wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:

That's what I don't understand. Adding Nance for a lottery protected 1st would have made the team significantly better. The Wolves need to show massive improvement this season or Rosas is likely gone, so I don't see why he would be hesitant to move a heavily protected pick. My fear is that Rosas is going all in on Ben Simmons and is going to be left with a gaping hole at PF (for the second year in row) when that doesn't happen.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by jpatrick » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:25 pm

wolves_89 wrote:
jpatrick wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:

That's what I don't understand. Adding Nance for a lottery protected 1st would have made the team significantly better. The Wolves need to show massive improvement this season or Rosas is likely gone, so I don't see why he would be hesitant to move a heavily protected pick. My fear is that Rosas is going all in on Ben Simmons and is going to be left with a gaping hole at PF (for the second year in row) when that doesn't happen.

I think what you said is correct, Rosas is going all-in in Simmons. And your fear is reasonable; and if I had to predict, what will end up happening.
VeritasTri
Sophomore
And1: 91

Post#19 » by VeritasTri » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:42 pm

I saw some people on the trade board questioning Cleveland for this move but I like it. Lauri can play alongside either Mobley or Allen and gives them some offense and shooting to go with the defense and rebounding they get from the other 2. I like the 3 man big rotation, but what do you do with Love?

Cleveland and Portland were 2 of the most discussed potential destinations for Simmons, *if* they were potential suitors this likely changes that.
wolves_89
Head Coach

Post#20 » by wolves_89 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:47 pm

This pretty much captures how I see the Nance trade.
Read on Twitter

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves