ImageImageImageImageImage

RJ Barrett entering year 3

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,075

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#61 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:13 pm

god shammgod wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:shamm should decide

shamm, just give me this one just so you can prove melo wrong. He tried to speak on your behalf, I find it highly disrespectful, you have to do something.

Me and sham may not be team IQ brothers anymore but we will always unite against RJ!!!

rj and quick can not be on the same team, they are mortal enemies. this is heresy!!!! a pox upon your house chanel!!!!!

I wanted to usher in a new era through one of those arranged marriages like Robb Stark marrying one of the Freys.

And this is what I get.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#62 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:18 pm

I'm team Kevin Knox now.

F all y'all.

I hope he gets 40 minutes every game and make you hate life.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#63 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:19 pm

I try to be realistic with players and how they can develop and listen, every player from the 1-3, maybe even 4 these days should work on handle so I'm not gonna dissagree there. But let's be realistic, do we really think hes gonna turn into Dwayne Wade at the wings? (Actually he should reach out to him) but probably not, right? So with that in mind I think RJ should develop post skills. And I dont mean turn him into a PF but I'm thinking of forwards like Paul Pierce, Carmelo Anthony. Where he can maybe get a ball in the high post, fake and then perform a power dribble>pull up stop and pop. I don't want him to become the worst of Melo where the ball stops but he already has somewhat of a bully ball style of play. I think working out with guys like that would just open up his game cuase he'll never be an east/west dribbler who puts his defender on skates and he's doesn't have elite speed or athleticism but if he learn to operate in that midrange space where he generates ya know a foot of space and then can rise up and pop to me that's his next evolution.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,608

Post#64 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:22 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm team Kevin Knox now.

F all y'all.

:lol:
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,608

Post#65 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:23 pm

@chanel

I’ll offer you to be Vice President of team grandle. Once in a life time opportunity!
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#66 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:38 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:@chanel

I’ll offer you to be Vice President of team grandle. Once in a life time opportunity!

Better to reign in Hell than serve in... Hell.

Chanel politely declines Team Grandle's offer as he continues to build House Knox, brick by brick.
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#67 » by N Y K » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:48 pm

I'd like to see a significant improvement finishing at the rim next year and I'll be feeling grrrrreat.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,353

Post#68 » by F N 11 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:35 pm

Kampuchea wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
F N 11 wrote:Im curious of RJ numbers with Payton and without. He was always better in second quarter and second half without him.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/rj-barret-stats-without-elfred-payton-this-season

You don't want to know...or maybe you do.

He avg 20-6-3 on 51% from the field and 45% from 3 :o :o :o :o

So why did we keep playing Elf? Did he elevate the play of anyone else? Maybe he set up Mitch/Noel for occasional shots?

This is ridiculous, the eye test said it all.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,784

Post#69 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:14 pm

cgmw wrote:RJ year 3 is another example of the same "nature vs. nurture" argument we always have on this board. On the one hand, RJ is a damn talented blue chip prospect with exceptional upside (nature). On the other hand, the Knicks just demoted him down from #2 scoring option to probably #3 or maybe even #4 behind much more experienced players (nurture).

I feel like the macho messageboard hero/ Dolan-organization thing to say is "eat what you kill." If RJ is so talented, he'll rise to the top. But I also think it's asking a lot for a 21 year old kid to compete for touches against Julius Randle, Kemba Walker, and Evan Fournier. Gun to my head, I'm betting on "nurture" to overcome "nature" and RJ regresses or doesn't improve much. But I can see how his talent might just be enough to rise to the top.

If Leon is as smart as he seems to be, he'll know that RJ's upside (as of right now) is still the best bet this franchise has to compete for a 'chip. Problem is, Thibs just seems like the kind of non-creative offensive coach who will demand that Julius and Kemba dominate the ball, relegating RJ to a lot of release-valve "3 and D" kick outs. Then again, Thibs is also the kind of coach to play RJ 40mpg. So I guess we shall see.

Nothing would make 2021-22 a bigger success than breakout RJ. The city would go batsh*t if he made the All Star Team and he'd be instantly bigger than any Knick since Melo.

Counter argument: Having more talent on the team might reduce touches but raise the quality of the touches and make for a better, more efficient player. Two caveats would be, would the young player accept it - is he a "play the right way" kind of player? And "Are the vets "play the right way" vets who share the ball and look for the best shot, no matter who has it?

So, Frazier comes into the NBA, and has to get touches from among Dick Barnett, Cazzie Russell, Willis Reed, Bill Bradley and even Dick Van Arsdale.

I do notice the Knicks traded Van Arsdale away the following season. Was that to enable more touches for Frazier?

By year 3, Add Dave DeBusschere looking for shots.

I know, not fair to select one of the most unselfish basketball teams of all time.

If the Knicks under Thibs are truly well coached, RJ will play better, but may score the same or less.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#70 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:23 pm

cgmw wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
cgmw wrote:RJ year 3 is another example of the same "nature vs. nurture" argument we always have on this board. On the one hand, RJ is a damn talented blue chip prospect with exceptional upside (nature). On the other hand, the Knicks just demoted him down from #2 scoring option to probably #3 or maybe even #4 behind much more experienced players (nurture).

I feel like the macho messageboard hero/ Dolan-organization thing to say is "eat what you kill." If RJ is so talented, he'll rise to the top. But I also think it's asking a lot for a 21 year old kid to compete for touches against Julius Randle, Kemba Walker, and Evan Fournier. Gun to my head, I'm betting on "nurture" to overcome "nature" and RJ regresses or doesn't improve much. But I can see how his talent might just be enough to rise to the top.

If Leon is as smart as he seems to be, he'll know that RJ's upside (as of right now) is still the best bet this franchise has to compete for a 'chip. Problem is, Thibs just seems like the kind of non-creative offensive coach who will demand that Julius and Kemba dominate the ball, relegating RJ to a lot of release-valve "3 and D" kick outs. Then again, Thibs is also the kind of coach to play RJ 40mpg. So I guess we shall see.

Nothing would make 2021-22 a bigger success than breakout RJ. The city would go batsh*t if he made the All Star Team and he'd be instantly bigger than any Knick since Melo.

I agree but I wouldn't say regress. I remember once when talking about the Cowboys Jimmie Johnson once said that out of his 3 titles the yr they had the worst record he felt that was actually the best team however due to circumstances and competition getting better nobody realized it. Could be the case not just with RJ but with the whole team. This yr we got better talent but individually guys may need to sacrifice personal stats and also the competition got better so we may have a lower win percentage but be better prepared for the playoffs.

But still RJ can't lose sight of his personal development because all it takes (and I'm not rooting for it) is an injury to one of our seasoned players and he's thrust right back into a higher usage. Also when you said that keep what you kill mentality? RJ does need to come into camp with that mentality cause nobody says that Fournier HAS TO be better than RJ. Or at least RJ doesn't need to submit to that. What happens happens but he needs to come into camp looking to ascert his dominance.

But ya know, that's why I wanted Ball. The very same flaws people say he had benefits RJ and his strengths elevate RJ. I wanted a PG attached to the hip with our young players who is a great passer, makes guys like RJ and Julius more efficient by facilitating an offense less geared to isolation. We chose PGs who do the scoring INSTEAD. Anything is better than Peyton I guess.

Yeah I can see how he might improve as a player despite having fewer PPG, and certainly I can see how the team could be poised for a much improved year. Then again, last year might have been a magical fluke with us benefiting from Covid scheduling, (other team) injuries. and Julius balling out of his damn mind. So who knows?

And I agree that Kemba is a very Knicksy addition, both in his age/stature and his ball-dominant style. Thibs seems to demand his PG pound the hell outta the ball, but Kemba and Fournier do seem like very unselfish players. Question is, how many points are there to go around?

We averaged 107 ppg last season. So let's assume a slight bump this year to 109...The math just doesn't work for Julius, Kemba, RJ, Fournier, and D Rose to keep doing what they normally do. Something's gotta give.

Julius: 23 ppg
Kemba: 17 ppg
RJ: 17 ppg
Evan: 16 ppg
Rose: 12 ppg
IQ: 10 ppg
Burks: 10 ppg
Mitch: 9 ppg
Obi: 6 ppg
Noel: 6 ppg
TOTAL: 126 points! Waaaaaaay too high.

You could easily take 2 points from Randle and a 1 point from everyone else. Sure, it's still too high, but it's a start.

Julius: 21 ppg
Kemba 16 ppg
RJ 16 ppg
Evan 16 ppg
Rose 11 ppg
IQ 8 ppg
Burks 8 ppg
Mitch 8 ppg
Obi 6 ppg
Noel 5 ppg

107 PPG
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#71 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:52 pm

I wish Beno Udrih was still on the Knicks so I could be team Grundle

'taint nobody's bizness if I do
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,466

Post#72 » by TheGreenArrow » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:00 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:RJ being freed from Elfraud is possibly the most significant development of the offseason.

I don't expect RJ to break out just yet, but there will be no excuses for him anymore.

There was simply no way for him to play to his full potential let alone expand his game with such a ball-dominant, non-shooting, slow and selfish point guard playing alongside him. I always found it difficult to properly assess RJ's game, because our point guard play simply introduced too much noise into the numbers.

The fact that the Knicks brought in Payton (for two years) weeks after selecting RJ was developmental malpractice.

it sort of seems like he'll have less opportunists this year to be honest. kemba and fournier will likely handle the ball and take more shots than payton and bullock did.

team rj loses another point

Man….

**** team IQ & **** team Rj!!!!!!!!!

IM TEAM KNICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TheGreenArrow
RealGM

Post#73 » by TheGreenArrow » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:03 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm team Kevin Knox now.

F all y'all.

so Mpharris finally has a friend!!!!!!

Good for him!!!!!

His love for knox pre-draft that year was truly insufferable!!!!!!!
TheGreenArrow
RealGM

Post#74 » by TheGreenArrow » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:04 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
cgmw wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
I agree but I wouldn't say regress. I remember once when talking about the Cowboys Jimmie Johnson once said that out of his 3 titles the yr they had the worst record he felt that was actually the best team however due to circumstances and competition getting better nobody realized it. Could be the case not just with RJ but with the whole team. This yr we got better talent but individually guys may need to sacrifice personal stats and also the competition got better so we may have a lower win percentage but be better prepared for the playoffs.

But still RJ can't lose sight of his personal development because all it takes (and I'm not rooting for it) is an injury to one of our seasoned players and he's thrust right back into a higher usage. Also when you said that keep what you kill mentality? RJ does need to come into camp with that mentality cause nobody says that Fournier HAS TO be better than RJ. Or at least RJ doesn't need to submit to that. What happens happens but he needs to come into camp looking to ascert his dominance.

But ya know, that's why I wanted Ball. The very same flaws people say he had benefits RJ and his strengths elevate RJ. I wanted a PG attached to the hip with our young players who is a great passer, makes guys like RJ and Julius more efficient by facilitating an offense less geared to isolation. We chose PGs who do the scoring INSTEAD. Anything is better than Peyton I guess.

Yeah I can see how he might improve as a player despite having fewer PPG, and certainly I can see how the team could be poised for a much improved year. Then again, last year might have been a magical fluke with us benefiting from Covid scheduling, (other team) injuries. and Julius balling out of his damn mind. So who knows?

And I agree that Kemba is a very Knicksy addition, both in his age/stature and his ball-dominant style. Thibs seems to demand his PG pound the hell outta the ball, but Kemba and Fournier do seem like very unselfish players. Question is, how many points are there to go around?

We averaged 107 ppg last season. So let's assume a slight bump this year to 109...The math just doesn't work for Julius, Kemba, RJ, Fournier, and D Rose to keep doing what they normally do. Something's gotta give.

You could easily take 2 points from Randle and a 1 point from everyone else. Sure, it's still too high, but it's a start.

Kemba 16 ppg
RJ 16 ppg
Evan 16 ppg
Rose 11 ppg
IQ 8 ppg
Burks 8 ppg
Mitch 8 ppg
Obi 6 ppg
Noel 5 ppg

107 PPG

No way Julius averages under 28ppg!!!!!

Cmon man I know you guys thought last year was a fluke but cmon!!!!!

That’s beyond disrespectful!!!!!!!!
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,021

Post#75 » by moocow007 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:49 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:

Counter argument: Having more talent on the team might reduce touches but raise the quality of the touches and make for a better, more efficient player. Two caveats would be, would the young player accept it - is he a "play the right way" kind of player? And "Are the vets "play the right way" vets who share the ball and look for the best shot, no matter who has it?

So, Frazier comes into the NBA, and has to get touches from among Dick Barnett, Cazzie Russell, Willis Reed, Bill Bradley and even Dick Van Arsdale.

I do notice the Knicks traded Van Arsdale away the following season. Was that to enable more touches for Frazier?

I know, not fair to select one of the most unselfish basketball teams of all time.

If the Knicks under Thibs are truly well coached, RJ will play better, but may score the same or less.

Frazier didn't care if anyone else needed shots, he was going to take them if he felt he could get it in the basket. Of course him being the guy that had the ball in his hands and making decisions helped lol but Walt Frazier was not shy about his own opinion of himself and he pretty much backed it up on the court.

I think that you raised a great question about whether RJ Barrett would be willing to "play the right way" when he doesn't get as many touches this season as he did last season (it is going to happen there's just no way around it barring injury early on to Walker and/or Fournier).

On the plus side Barrett showed in HS and college that he quite able to set up his teammates so the ability to do so is definitely there. On the negative side you just don't know about guys like Barrett who has always been used to being at the top of the pecking order and how he'd react if he's pushed down it. .

Question is would he be willing to sacrifice a few ppg to increase his apg and efficiency? My hope is that playing with better players and looking at the possibility of being pushed down the totem pole will give him both the room and the drive to improve his game and move himself back up the totem pole. There should be plenty of ammunition for him to use right? Not being voted at top 125 player right now in the NBA, likely getting less touches, etc.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#76 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:05 pm

moocow007 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Frazier didn't care if anyone else needed shots, he was going to take them if he felt he could get it in the basket. Of course him being the guy that had the ball in his hands and making decisions helped lol but Walt Frazier was not shy about his own opinion of himself and he pretty much backed it up on the court.

I think that you raised a great question about whether RJ Barrett would be willing to "play the right way" when he doesn't get as many touches this season as he did last season (it is going to happen there's just no way around it barring injury early on to Walker and/or Fournier).

On the plus side Barrett showed in HS and college that he quite able to set up his teammates so the ability to do so is definitely there. On the negative side you just don't know about guys like Barrett who has always been used to being at the top of the pecking order and how he'd react if he's pushed down it. .

Question is would he be willing to sacrifice a few ppg to increase his apg and efficiency? My hope is that playing with better players and looking at the possibility of being pushed down the totem pole will give him both the room and the drive to improve his game and move himself back up the totem pole. There should be plenty of ammunition for him to use right? Not being voted at top 125 player right now in the NBA, likely getting less touches, etc.

I'd agree with all that. Also, I'm pretty confident that RJ will be a team player. He seems to embrace that kind of play and he kind of plays like a super glue guy right now, in a lot of ways. But you are correct that it's a valid concern. The same motivation to produce because of slights could cause him to force it a bit, at least at first. Again, a good coach should spot that and correct it, player willing.
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#77 » by knickabocker88 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:57 am

He's gotta be a Andre Iguodala / Shawn Marion type player on a Championship Team.

I don't think the defense will ever be that good but hopefully the offense is a little better.
Houston99
Analyst
And1: 408

Post#78 » by Houston99 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:01 am

Let’s say our lineup is Kemba Fournier Barrett Randle and Robison 4 of those players can up 20 pts a night any given night and I expect Barrett to one of them.
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,554

Post#79 » by BigShot Bojan » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:50 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
cgmw wrote:Yeah I can see how he might improve as a player despite having fewer PPG, and certainly I can see how the team could be poised for a much improved year. Then again, last year might have been a magical fluke with us benefiting from Covid scheduling, (other team) injuries. and Julius balling out of his damn mind. So who knows?

Kemba 16 ppg
RJ 16 ppg
Evan 16 ppg
Rose 11 ppg
IQ 8 ppg
Burks 8 ppg
Mitch 8 ppg
Obi 6 ppg
Noel 5 ppg

107 PPG

I think iq will be double digits this year...
Formerly Knicks85
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#80 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:02 pm

BigShot Barrett wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Kemba 16 ppg
RJ 16 ppg
Evan 16 ppg
Rose 11 ppg
IQ 8 ppg
Burks 8 ppg
Mitch 8 ppg
Obi 6 ppg
Noel 5 ppg

107 PPG

I think iq will be double digits this year...

I think you are right. I was just trying to bring their ppg down, but maybe I did it too much.

So, last season, the Knicks were top 4 defensively - or as high as 1st, depending on which category was used, right?
Knicks were #1 in points allowed per game with 104.7

In points scored per game, I know they were in the bottom 1/3rd. Ok, looked it up and Knicks were 26 out of 30.

For the Knicks to have success this year, we know they are looking to score more points. There is also the assumption that with Bullocks and Elf out, but Fournier/Kemba in, Knicks will not be as good defensively as well - what that degree is is up for debate and remains to be seen.

I figure the Knicks score 111-112 ppg this year. IQ and Julius get their 2 ppg back each.

Let's assume Knicks are still a good defensive team, but not top 4, maybe slide to something like 8th statistically. They'll have to move up to something like middle of the pack in ppg, and that gets into anywhere from 109-112. I think the Knicks will actually be fairly decent scoring the ball, so 112 it is.

Return to New York Knicks