ImageImageImage

Faith in Finch

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,135

Faith in Finch 

Post#1 » by winforlose » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:09 pm

So the internet is abuzz with Wolves bashing. CBS sports said we lost the Beverly trade because it is only for teams trying to make the playoffs. A number of trade sites suggest we sell big pieces because our team is broken. I however have a very different idea about our season. I think with Finch at the helm motivating and teaching these players we have a good chance to surprise everyone. Of course we need our big 3 (KAT, Ant, Dlo,) to stay healthy, and having MCD and Beasley also stay healthy would be nice. But I have faith in Finch to make this season a playoff season. Who else has faith in Finch?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,571

Re: Faith in Finch 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:22 pm

winforlose wrote:So the internet is abuzz with Wolves bashing. CBS sports said we lost the Beverly trade because it is only for teams trying to make the playoffs. A number of trade sites suggest we sell big pieces because our team is broken. I however have a very different idea about our season. I think with Finch at the helm motivating and teaching these players we have a good chance to surprise everyone. Of course we need our big 3 (KAT, Ant, Dlo,) to stay healthy, and having MCD and Beasley also stay healthy would be nice. But I have faith in Finch to make this season a playoff season. Who else has faith in Finch?

I believe Finch is maybe the most underrated piece of this franchise.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,583

Post#3 » by jpatrick » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:34 pm

I don’t know the last time I had this much confidence in a coach, maybe Adelman?

That said, without a major move I don’t think we make the playoffs. Despite Finch, we have major defensive issues, no power forward, and two 20-year-olds in the starting lineup. Unless Rosas can get another piece, I think Finch will be looking at fighting for the 10th seed.
VeritasTri
Sophomore
And1: 91

Post#4 » by VeritasTri » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:48 pm

I have followed this team from the start and Finch is already in my top 3 coaches (Musselman, Adelman, Finchman).

Both his on court coaching (lineups, rotations, scheme etc) as well as his off court demeanor have been extremely pleasant surprises. He carries himself well and gives off a feeling of competence. Based on both on court results and listening to him speak I am confident in his ability to identify the teams problems and find resolutions to them. For being a first time head coach he seems in control and not shaken, this is important for a young team that needs guidance. I couldnt be happier with him so far.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#5 » by Nick K » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:15 pm

winforlose wrote:So the internet is abuzz with Wolves bashing. CBS sports said we lost the Beverly trade because it is only for teams trying to make the playoffs. A number of trade sites suggest we sell big pieces because our team is broken. I however have a very different idea about our season. I think with Finch at the helm motivating and teaching these players we have a good chance to surprise everyone. Of course we need our big 3 (KAT, Ant, Dlo,) to stay healthy, and having MCD and Beasley also stay healthy would be nice. But I have faith in Finch to make this season a playoff season. Who else has faith in Finch?

I agree. I have so little respect for sports writers except for a very few. They are right so seldom. Most of these guys couldn't find their azz with either hand. I get that they need something to write about. I get all the gossip columns I can handle right here. :D

The under rated guy I'm starting to think is Rosas. For him to turn over so many pieces and draft effectively (not Culver) is really astonishing. I still think the jury is out on Culver. Then he hires a no nonsense coach in Finch, who is matter of fact with players and flexible in his approach. He designs the scheme to fit the players on hand. What an idea! I am so sold on Finch.

Now for the first time I actually think he'll find a way to get Simmons without giving up the core. I'm divided on Simmons but for the right price I'm in. Rosas has played his hand beautifully so far. Either way we'll have a very good team going forward. I think we make the playoffs easy. I just bet 500 on them to make the playoffs at 5-1. And I never, ever bet on the Timberwolves.

Things are adding up with an under rated front office, a helluva coach and new ownership that looks ideal. I think the curse has been removed! We're on a new cycle upward. The cards are all falling into place.

We just might be the NBA surprise team of the year. Don't bet against it doubters.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#6 » by KGdaBom » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:09 pm

VeritasTri wrote:I have followed this team from the start and Finch is already in my top 3 coaches (Musselman, Adelman, Finchman).

Both his on court coaching (lineups, rotations, scheme etc) as well as his off court demeanor have been extremely pleasant surprises. He carries himself well and gives off a feeling of competence. Based on both on court results and listening to him speak I am confident in his ability to identify the teams problems and find resolutions to them. For being a first time head coach he seems in control and not shaken, this is important for a young team that needs guidance. I couldn't be happier with him so far.

Musselman is by far our best coach ever. He always had the ability to get the most out of the least.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#7 » by Krapinsky » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:46 am

I remember how swept up we all got in Rambis-speak so I'll hold my enthusiasm, but so far I like what I see/hear from Finch. Seems like literally anyone would have been an upgrade over Ryan (as much as we all wanted him to succeed).
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#8 » by Dewey » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:08 am

Krapinsky wrote:I remember how swept up we all got in Rambis-speak so I'll hold my enthusiasm, but so far I like what I see/hear from Finch. Seems like literally anyone would have been an upgrade over Ryan (as much as we all wanted him to succeed).

You just compared Finch to Rambis ????? :lol:

Wow.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#9 » by Worm Guts » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:13 am

Nothing against Finch, but he needs to win something before I have faith in him.
Macwolf527
Junior
And1: 217

Post#10 » by Macwolf527 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:58 am

I’m an X’s and O’s type of guy having played thru college, so I pick up a lot of things quick, especially when it comes to team defense. The issue for the last 3-4 years with the Wolves has been the fact that they’ve been very poor perimeter defenders. KAT got a lot of the blame because he’s the last line of defense at the 5. The lack of athleticism at the 4 only magnified it more.

Finch won me over this off season with two things. The “Give-A-Sxxx” comment and the emphasis on perimeter defense during the summer league games. Defense is all about caring, so for him to emphasize this in word and action makes me believe a change is sure to come. Add that he brought in one of the best one on one defenders in the league via trade, adds even more fuel to this fire. Improving perimeter defense will sustain you, even when one of your stars goes down with injuries (knock wood!).
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#11 » by KGdaBom » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:07 am

Worm Guts wrote:Nothing against Finch, but he needs to win something before I have faith in him.

Faith is believing without seeing. Last year he took lemons and made lemonade. It's a nice indicator.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#12 » by Krapinsky » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:10 am

Dewey wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:I remember how swept up we all got in Rambis-speak so I'll hold my enthusiasm, but so far I like what I see/hear from Finch. Seems like literally anyone would have been an upgrade over Ryan (as much as we all wanted him to succeed).

You just compared Finch to Rambis ????? :lol:

Wow.

Was that a comparison? I’m just saying let’s see him do something before we appoint him as our next savior. I liked the hire and like what he’s done so far.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#13 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:45 am

Finch looked really good when he took over...
But he also lost for example, with a fully healthy team against an Indiana team without their 3 (or 4) best players...

So, let's wait first. But of course, let's also have some faith which I have in Finch, not at all in Rosas.
That's the problem to begin.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#14 » by FinnTheHuman » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:40 am

If we land a PF with enough size and experience, I'll have faith in Finch and I'll believe we're actually fighting to be in the playoffs. Because imo the situation with PF is alarming enough that Finch has to put pressure on Rosas to sign one. If we don't sing one, I won't have high hopes to start the season.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Klomp » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:41 pm

I feel like it was more Kahn speak than Rambis speak, and I'm aware I was as guilty as anyone.

I think the biggest thing in Finch's favor right now is that he didn't really come into the job with expectations from the fan base.

1. When Kahn hired Rambis, he was one of the hottest names on the market. The Lakers had just won the Finals, and Rambis had been a finalist for other jobs.
2. When Adelman was hired, all of the expectations were baked into hiring one of the winningest coaches of all time.
3. When Flip stepped in, he had the expectations of success from his first stint (and I do think things were trending in the right direction.
4. When Taylor hired Thibodeau, again he was one of the hottest names on the market.
5. When Ryan was hired, many of his expectations were inherited from his father's success. We were hopeful. Ryan had been talked about for years as an heir apparent. Most thought it would be a few more years down the road, but thought success could be developed.

As I said, Finch didn't really come into the job with any of those expectations. So when he comes in cold turkey and improves the winning percentage by 17% from the previous coach without any offseason or time to implement stuff, I think it causes people to get optimistic.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Klomp » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:43 pm

Merc_Porto wrote:So, let's wait first. But of course, let's also have some faith which I have in Finch, not at all in Rosas.

Who do you think hired Finch?

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#17 » by Dewey » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:10 pm

Klomp wrote:
Merc_Porto wrote:So, let's wait first. But of course, let's also have some faith which I have in Finch, not at all in Rosas.

Ya it seems kinda hypocritical…

Couple of Rosas questionable moves were DLo for Wiggins/frp and the culver collateral (Saric) after trying to move up to acquire Garland. Collectively, I’ll take the in players (DLo, Beverly, Vanderbilt, Beasley, Reid, ANT, McD, and Finch) heading into the 2021-22 season over (Wiggins, FRP, Culver, RoCo, Juancho, Saric)… we’ll see how things play out … maybe I’m missing something more obvious
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#18 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:33 pm

Klomp wrote:

What is that supposed to mean?

I trust Finch as a coach, or better yet, I have faith in Finch as a coach.
I don't have faith in Rosas ability to put together a team for him to succeed.

Simple.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:24 pm

I'm totally bought in on Chris Finch! Pump him in my veins!

Read on Twitter

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#20 » by KGdaBom » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:46 pm

Klomp wrote:I'm totally bought in on Chris Finch! Pump him in my veins!

Read on Twitter

Too intense :o

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves