Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#41 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:58 am

andyhop wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Is it? At a blue blood school no doubt it is. More people tuned in to watch Zion at Duke then they have to watch Zion with the Pels. I 100% agree that the exposure at the blue bloods in college basketball is far greater than what the G League can ever dream of. But Memphis aint a blue blood. Hell he didnt just not choose a blue blood, he didnt even choose to go to a power conference school.

People dont tune in to watch Memphis, every Memphis game isn't on ESPN or ESPN2 like it is for Duke/UK/UNC and so on. Memphis basketball and big TV exposure dont go together.

Sure it isn't the same as going to Duke or Kentucky but it still beats the G League. Last season Memphis were on ESPN or ESPN2 21 time and CBS once so it isn't like nobody can ever watch their games if they want to.

I mean I agree with your basic point in that I never understand why players go to strange schools rather than sticking to the big boys but they do for whatever their reasons are.

I wonder how long the G League is going to persist with trying to attract prospects given it is likely to become a lot more expensive if they want the top guys or they are going to get guys who don't move the needle for the league if they keep the pay as it is now

Ya but what were the ratings for those Memphis games? College basketball tends to struggle with ratings during the early season if they arent dealing with UK/Duke/Kansas games. Then later in the season come the end of conference play and conference tournaments people tune in, but again they only tune in for the power conference schools.

The G League can go on for a long time doing this. So far they're giving out what 3-4 500k contracts a year. That is change found under the couch for the NBA. And if push comes to shove, they can always do what Ive always said they should do and allow teams to draft players straight out of high school and they dont have to lower the age to play. Just have a draft and G League stash system set up until the player is age eligible. And have the franchise pay the 500k contract until they call them up once they become age eligible. 500k that doesnt hit the cap is nothing to these teams.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#42 » by nolang1 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:09 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:this 'exposure' talk is nonsense, what did more "exposure" get Cade or Mobley in college that Green/Kuminga didn't get in the G League?

I think they definitely get more exposure at a school like UK/Duke/Kansas/UNC. Those games get millions of people to watch, ESPN talks about them on their shows, they plaster their faces on commercials for upcoming games.

But again Im strictly talking the blue bloods here. Even a Duke/UNC game with zero buzz still got 2 million people watching it last year. And again a blue blood making a deep run in March is huge ratings and buzz.

I agree I dont think playing at USC or OKS has much edge at all when it comes to marketing and exposure compared to the G League. Those arent schools that have big built in audiences, ESPN never spent any time hyping up the next OKS or USC game. Hell I had to go out of my way to find USC games it felt like last year.

I think the blue bloods do have the exposure advantage though. ESPN does go out of their way to pump up those games and advertise them, especially when those teams are good and you end up getting million of eyeballs watching your games.

I'd agree on that front compared to the G league. Someone like Kuminga averaging 18-20 points at Duke last year would've been talked about as a potential #1 pick, but instead he fell in the draft due to being less efficient against better competition. USC/Oklahoma state isn't a valid comparison because Mobley/Cunningham were essentially getting multi-year deals with their relatives being hired as coaches before they committed.

Memphis does have a pretty big audience that is on par with the Grizzlies' when the college team is good; to whatever extent the exposure there is less than what one would get at more of a 'blue blood' program is easily made up for by the opportunity to play point guard and the increased importance of winning Memphis' first championship as opposed to the nth for UNC/Duke/etc.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 25,833

Post#43 » by azcatz11 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:31 pm

I agree with Duke - this is going to be a complete disaster. I just have a gut feeling that he doesn't even finish the season at Memphis.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#44 » by Marcus » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:47 pm

I didn't really follow, so how many Duke and UK games were televised once it w was established they weren't going anywhere? So basically once UK played themselves out of contention and the luster of the frosh class wore off did their TV airings go down and same question when Jalen sat down at Duke?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#45 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:57 pm

Marcus wrote:I didn't really follow, so how many Duke and UK games were televised once it w was established they weren't going anywhere? So basically once UK played themselves out of contention and the luster of the frosh class wore off did their TV airings go down and same question when Jalen sat down at Duke?

Every single Duke game was televised last year. I didnt have to watch a single game on my computer. I assume the same is for UK. Their audiences are just too big that even with off years they still bring in big enough audiences.

I think if we were to put them in name recognition and market size, Duke and UK are in a tier by themselves at the moment. Then a gap to Kansas, then another gap to UNC. Then I think you have a pretty significant drop off.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#46 » by clyde21 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:04 pm

my point is that "exposure" is meaningless, Green still went 2nd overall despite getting "less exposure" going to the G League...Kuminga would've gotten picked #1 if he had a great G League as well, not much different if he did it @ Duke or UK or wherever, in fact playing well in the G League holds a lot more merit now imo than playing well at any of the blueblood or any other NCAA school

in fact I'd argue you're just as likely to get sabotaged as a prospect going to these schools than them doing anything for you in terms of exposure and making you a better player overall long term...look @ what just happened to Jalen Johnson or Brandon Boston.

if he wants to go to the NCAA and leverage these new NIL rules good for him, but I agree with Duke, not sure spending 2 years @ Memphis is gonna do much for him, seems like he'd have more to lose actually imo.

its gonna be a good case study tho, with Scoota doing 2 years in the G League vs. Emoni 2 years at Memphis.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,322

Post#47 » by CptCrunch » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:13 pm

clyde21 wrote:my point is that "exposure" is meaningless, Green still went 2nd overall despite getting "less exposure" going to the G League...Kuminga would've gotten picked #1 if he had a great G League as well, not much different if he did it @ Duke or UK or wherever, in fact playing well in the G League holds a lot more merit now imo than playing well at any of the blueblood or any other NCAA school

in fact I'd argue you're just as likely to get sabotaged as a prospect going to these schools than them doing anything for you in terms of exposure and making you a better player overall long term...look @ what just happened to Jalen Johnson or Brandon Boston.

if he wants to go to the NCAA and leverage these new NIL rules good for him, but I agree with Duke, not sure spending 2 years @ Memphis is gonna do much for him, seems like he'd have more to lose actually imo.

its gonna be a good case study tho, with Scoota doing 2 years in the G League vs. Emoni 2 years at Memphis.

Big problem is that Memphis can hurt him. This is a 2 year bid, he need to improve to NPOY by year 2 to justify the hype for a kid of his profile and ranking.

Non-competitive conference, questionable talent.

Does not play well at Memphis, he will drop like a rock.

Does not play well in the G-League, tougher to play against grown men excuse that Kuminga benefitted from.

Like this is the dumbest of decisions, should have stayed in high school and done one year in G-League or any college. Not two years in college.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#48 » by Marcus » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:19 pm

azcatz11 wrote:I agree with Duke - this is going to be a complete disaster. I just have a gut feeling that he doesn't even finish the season at Memphis.

if he doesn't, that's a long time to sit out waiting to get drafted. unless G-League is an option for year 2. the turnaround for a transfer to another school isn't that fast right?
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#49 » by Marcus » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:27 pm

clyde21 wrote:my point is that "exposure" is meaningless, Green still went 2nd overall despite getting "less exposure" going to the G League...Kuminga would've gotten picked #1 if he had a great G League as well, not much different if he did it @ Duke or UK or wherever, in fact playing well in the G League holds a lot more merit now imo than playing well at any of the blueblood or any other NCAA school

i asked this a page ago. Really intrigued by how it plays out.

i think we're pretty much in the same boat with the exposure convo. While i get what it means for a kid if we're talking side by side comp with the two leagues then yeah for MOST college or where they go in college makes sense. Emoni Bates doesn't really fit that narrative, there's nothing to "expose" with dude. His name is large enough to bring the cameras to wherever he went. Obviously not the case with everybody but this move is big enough to where i think as long as he and Duren produce, Memphis will be on more than enough TV especially if he's there 2 years.
Watch More Basketball

azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 25,833

Post#50 » by azcatz11 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:05 pm

Marcus wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:I agree with Duke - this is going to be a complete disaster. I just have a gut feeling that he doesn't even finish the season at Memphis.

if he doesn't, that's a long time to sit out waiting to get drafted. unless G-League is an option for year 2. the turnaround for a transfer to another school isn't that fast right?

I'm not sure how the transfer portal is working post COVID. I'm basing this off nothing (gut feeling) I just don't think this will work. I'll prob be wrong and Memphis wins it all next season :lol:
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#51 » by Marcus » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:40 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

I'm not sure how the transfer portal is working post COVID. I'm basing this off nothing (gut feeling) I just don't think this will work. I'll prob be wrong and Memphis wins it all next season :lol:

i mean it could definitely go either way. We hope the pairing is divine and everything happens in a way we see a full flourish for all parties involved. you just never really know with these things and it is a guaranteed two years for a kid that's this highly rated. Haven't seen it for a long long time now. Very different scenario than the new normal one and done situation where if it's not a mesh, the kid can leave and just wait it out till draft day. Perfectly sensible to ponder what ifs with this case.
Watch More Basketball

TraBuch
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#52 » by TraBuch » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:27 pm

The thing about Bates is that the choice wasn’t Memphis or blue bloods because literally the only school besides Memphis that was recruiting him was MSU, and even they stopped really trying a couple months ago. The choice was Memphis or G League, and with the Fedex money he’s getting from Memphis, it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s making more money at Memphis than he would’ve in the G League. There’s a reason Memphis is getting these big names and it’s not because Penny’s a good coach.
TYO23
Freshman
And1: 60

Post#53 » by TYO23 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:01 pm

I thought the prevailing thought was that Bates would do a year at Memphis and then go to the G League?
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,008

Post#54 » by Hal14 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:12 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Marcus wrote:Bates to Memphis. no draft till 23 right?

Right he's ineligible this year due to age.

I don't understand why Bates isn't eligible till 2023 due to age. The report I read said that he turns 19 during the 2022-2023 season and that's why he can't get drafted till 2023.

So apparently you can't get drafted till you're 19?

Yet all of these 18 year old dudes just got drafted last month lol

Giddey, Kuminga, Springer, Primo, Sengun, etc.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#55 » by Marcus » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:48 pm

Hal14 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Marcus wrote:Bates to Memphis. no draft till 23 right?

I don't understand why Bates isn't eligible till 2023 due to age. The report I read said that he turns 19 during the 2022-2023 season and that's why he can't get drafted till 2023.

think you have to be at least 19 during the calendar year of the year you're drafted or something along those lines.
Watch More Basketball

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,008

Post#56 » by Hal14 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:13 pm

Marcus wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

think you have to be at least 19 during the calendar year of the year you're drafted or something along those lines.

Ah ok. Yeah you're probably right. These dudes who were just drafted at 18, they all must turn 19 before the end of the calendar year.

I believe primo was youngest in the class and looks like his birthday is december 24 so he just barely makes the cut. Bates has a january birthday so he misses the cut.

Makes sense..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
clyde21
RealGM

Post#57 » by clyde21 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:18 pm

it's a stupid arbitrary cut off, you can legit be born a day after the cut off and have to wait a whole year to join the NBA because of it.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,322

Post#58 » by CptCrunch » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:04 pm

clyde21 wrote:it's a stupid arbitrary cut off, you can legit be born a day after the cut off and have to wait a whole year to join the NBA because of it.

You got the draw the line somewhere. Even if the NBA/NBPA lowered the age to 18, what happens to the 17 year old phenom who is 1 day off? (If 1 is fine, how about 2, 3, 4 days? or in Emoni's case 28 days too young. If they accept Emoni, what about 29 days?)
clyde21
RealGM

Post#59 » by clyde21 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:23 pm

CptCrunch wrote:
clyde21 wrote:it's a stupid arbitrary cut off, you can legit be born a day after the cut off and have to wait a whole year to join the NBA because of it.

You got the draw the line somewhere. Even if the NBA/NBPA lowered the age to 18, what happens to the 17 year old phenom who is 1 day off? (If 1 is fine, how about 2, 3, 4 days? or in Emoni's case 28 days too young. If they accept Emoni, what about 29 days?)

no you dont
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#60 » by Marcus » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:15 pm

CptCrunch wrote:

the never ending rabbit hole that allows them to do what they do.
Watch More Basketball

Return to NBA Draft