ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Thread (EPISODE VII: Which team wants our bad players for their good players?)

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Re: Trade Thread (EPISODE VII: Which team wants our bad players for their good players?) 

Post#301 » by parsnips33 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:47 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:Kyle Anderson would be amazing in our system.

However, we don't have the right chips to trade for him, IMO. We have either much more valuable players, or our young players are not worth this trade, IMO.

Honestly I think both him and Brooks would be great fits over here
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Re: Trade Thread (EPISODE VII: Which team wants our bad players for their good players?) 

Post#302 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:04 am

The-Power wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:He chucks up shots because they had no better options. You can't credibly say otherwise until they have better options. Someone has to take those shots.

You make an entirely unsubstantiated claim and essentially continue with ‘and you cannot prove me wrong’.

You continue to write that lack of other scorers is why he basically has to take so many shots and there is just no substance to it. Let's be very clear: Brooks is an inefficient scorer. Inefficient scorers don't put up 24 FGA per 100 possessions unless they constantly look to score. Heck, the Grizzlies even had other players who scored as much as or more than him at higher efficiency – he's not playing with G-League scoring talent, there is zero argument for that.

What is more, only 5% of his FGAs are very late in the shot clock (0-4 seconds) and 7% late in the shot clock (4-7 seconds). In contrast, close to 70% of his shots are in the average and early shot clock range and his efficiency is poor in those instances and not notably different from late-clock situations. If he wasn't an inefficient chucker who only takes shots because he has to, he wouldn't put up most of his shots at poor efficiency when there is still plenty of time to work for a better shot.

Lastly, Brooks had a 31.6 USG% in his last year in college. You don't just stumble into this kind of usage unless you are actively trying.

Note that this is not to say that in different settings, Brooks usage can't be lower and he can't be more efficient. As I wrote, you can tell him not to shoot as much and maybe that works to some extent. That doesn't change, however, that Brooks just naturally gravitates towards high-volume shooting despite not being capable of achieving even NBA average efficiency. It's who he is, and I have certainly substantiated that claim a lot better than you have substantiated yours (while you, at the same time, argue that any claim contrary to yours has no credibility – which is quite ironic, to be honest, because if anything one could point out that your claim has no credibility until and unless he plays next to better options and actually changes his approach).

The bolded is exactly what you're doing with no evidence. A situation exists with certain parameters and you're claiming that even if the parameters changed, the situation would remain unchanged. Totally illogical. Essentially you're claiming that if Brooks was surrounded by better shooters/scorers nothing could stop him taking as many shots short of removing him from the game. So Brooks is incapable of behaving differently despite what is going on around him unlike the vast majority of other players? Your claim is indefensible.

And then in the last paragraph you contradict everything you just said prior, hedging your bet while repeating everything I said prior. Been a great conversation.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
parsnips33
Head Coach

Post#303 » by parsnips33 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:17 pm

Cavs just traded for Markanen. Would love us to snag Kevin Love if he gets bought out

I've been imagining Love and Curry since 2015 lol
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#304 » by xdrta+ » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:23 pm

parsnips33 wrote:Cavs just traded for Markanen. Would love us to snag Kevin Love if he gets bought out

Portland got Larry Nance Jr in the 3-team deal.
parsnips33
Head Coach

Post#305 » by parsnips33 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:24 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:Cavs just traded for Markanen. Would love us to snag Kevin Love if he gets bought out

You think they hold onto Love then? Already got Jarrett Allen and the rookie
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#306 » by xdrta+ » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:37 pm

parsnips33 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

You think they hold onto Love then? Already got Jarrett Allen and the rookie

Probably go the Drummond route. He's on the books for $60M, Allen for $100M, now Markannen for $67M, and they drafted Mobley. Something has to give.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,366

Post#307 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:43 pm

I guess Love goes to either Brooklyn or the Lakers if bought out.
parsnips33
Head Coach

Post#308 » by parsnips33 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:45 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:I guess Love goes to either Brooklyn or the Lakers if bought out.

I forgot Lakers got Russ too. That seems like a good bet

But we could offer him a starting spot, not sure that whether that would move the needle at all
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#309 » by xdrta+ » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:04 pm

The Cavs have some incentive to waive (buyout) Love this month. This deal leaves them about $4.7M under the lux tax with 14 players signed. If they waive Love before Aug 31 they can stretch both years he has left, about $60M, over 5 years, So about a $12M cap hit this year.

If they waive him after Aug 31, they have to pay this year's salary normally, keeping the $31M on their cap, and can only stretch next year's $29M over 3 years. So they could get well under the tax (and hard cap line, since they're now hard-capped) by waiving him this month.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#310 » by giberish » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:05 pm

xdrta+ wrote:The Cavs have some incentive to waive (buyout) Love this month. This deal leaves them about $4.7M under the lux tax with 14 players signed. If they waive Love before Aug 31 they can stretch both years he has left, about $60M, over 5 years, So about a $12M cap hit this year.

If they waive him after Aug 31, they have to pay this year's salary normally, keeping the $31M on their cap, and can only stretch next year's $29M over 3 years. So they could get well under the tax (and hard cap line, since they're now hard-capped) by waiving him this month.

Stretching Love - especially at this point - would be unbelievably stupid for Cleveland. They aren't over the tax this year. They don't need the salary relief. In future seasons they'll get more expensive if their kids are any good. Having Love's dead money forever is just comitting to suck (or pay unnecessary luxury taxes) for 5 years.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#311 » by xdrta+ » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:23 pm

giberish wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:The Cavs have some incentive to waive (buyout) Love this month. This deal leaves them about $4.7M under the lux tax with 14 players signed. If they waive Love before Aug 31 they can stretch both years he has left, about $60M, over 5 years, So about a $12M cap hit this year.

Stretching Love - especially at this point - would be unbelievably stupid for Cleveland. They aren't over the tax this year. They don't need the salary relief. In future seasons they'll get more expensive if their kids are any good. Having Love's dead money forever is just comitting to suck (or pay unnecessary luxury taxes) for 5 years.

Could be, but they probably will buy him out, maybe even soon. I look for him to be on the Lakers.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#312 » by giberish » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:01 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
giberish wrote:

Could be, but they probably will buy him out, maybe even soon. I look for him to be on the Lakers.

I would have been shocked to see Love bought out with 2 years left on his deal until it happened last year with Blake. I'd still expect it more around the deadline (just in case some very unlikely deal comes up - and Cleveland isn't losing anything by keeping him). It's just that stretching his contract makes no sense. Bad teams should get dead money off the books as quick as possible. And for this year especially it provides essentially no benefit at a very real long-term cost.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#313 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:39 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
giberish wrote:

I guess you think the "fitting out" thing is all in the past.

I don't really want Love.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#314 » by xdrta+ » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:21 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
giberish wrote:

I don't want Love either. I don't know what the "fitting out" thing is.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#315 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:59 pm

parsnips33 wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:I guess Love goes to either Brooklyn or the Lakers if bought out.

But we could offer him a starting spot, not sure that whether that would move the needle at all

You want Love to start on the Warriors?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#316 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:00 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

I don't want Love either. I don't know what the "fitting out" thing is.

LeBron posting passive agressive BS about Love when they were on the Cavs.
parsnips33
Head Coach

Post#317 » by parsnips33 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:53 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:

Yeah I think he'd be great! We could use a veteran starting center who can offer a bit more than Looney offensively. Obviously he's got his own flaws as a player, but as part of a center by committee he'd be a pretty valuable piece.

Plus gives us a legit veteran center with range should a Ben Simmons trade ever happen
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#318 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:22 pm

parsnips33 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:

Yeah I think he'd be great! We could use a veteran starting center who can offer a bit more than Looney offensively. Obviously he's got his own flaws as a player, but as part of a center by committee he'd be a pretty valuable piece.

Plus gives us a legit veteran center with range should a Ben Simmons trade ever happen

Love hasn't sniffed "great" in many years.
parsnips33
Head Coach

Post#319 » by parsnips33 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:55 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

We all just saw Blake Griffin realistically be the 2nd best player on a team that took the Champs to 7. I'm done underestimating the motivation factor
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#320 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:18 pm

parsnips33 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:

We all just saw Blake Griffin realistically be the 2nd best player on a team that took the Champs to 7. I'm done underestimating the motivation factor

I didn't see it, and apparently the NBA didn't really see it either since he didn't get offered a deal warranted by the 2nd best player on the most talented team in the NBA.

And I'm not sold on Griffin sniffing "great" any time soon either.

Return to Golden State Warriors