ImageImageImageImageImage

RJ Barrett entering year 3

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,496

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#81 » by cgf » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:52 pm

I don't like setting specific expectations for kids like RJ...the unreal workethic types over the unreal tools kids...but it's hard not to expect another significant jump from RJ this season. Especially if the improved backcourt lets him get the ball in positions to do something with it, more often.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,190
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#82 » by BKlutch » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:55 pm

cgf wrote:I don't like setting specific expectations for kids like RJ...the unreal workethic types over the unreal tools kids...but it's hard not to expect another significant jump from RJ this season. Especially if the improved backcourt lets him get the ball in positions to do something with it, more often.

Always like reading your posts. You seem to get to the heart of the matter — I'm looking for the same thing from him. He was handicapped by our starting point guard last year.

Oh, Gee, I see we're playing D. Powered by the after-Burner

cgf
RealGM

Post#83 » by cgf » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:56 pm

knickabocker88 wrote:He's gotta be a Andre Iguodala / Shawn Marion type player on a Championship Team.

I don't think the defense will ever be that good but hopefully the offense is a little better.

See my previous post about setting specific expectations, but why can't RJ be more than that someday? Can't ever expect a kid to go full Beal / Butler / Middleton, but by that same token I have a tough time putting a ceiling on a kid with his drive & dedication to self-improvement.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
cgf
RealGM

Post#84 » by cgf » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:02 pm

BKlutch wrote:
cgf wrote:I don't like setting specific expectations for kids like RJ...the unreal workethic types over the unreal tools kids...but it's hard not to expect another significant jump from RJ this season. Especially if the improved backcourt lets him get the ball in positions to do something with it, more often.

Always like reading your posts. You seem to get to the heart of the matter — I'm looking for the same thing from him. He was handicapped by our starting point guard last year.

Which may not have been the worst thing developmentally for that one season, as RJ seemed to really focus in on improving as a catch-n-shoot guy last year & sometimes it can help a kid progress when they can keep it simple & focus on a specific aspect of their game before expanding from there.

But we've seen flashes from him of being able to create for himself & others, and I'd like to see more of that this season, which he will (hopefully) get the opportunity to develop further. Still expect that he'll be at least a year or two away from being the kind of guy you just give the ball to, to create, but there's a spectrum between Bulluck & Julius that RJ can make progress along.

jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,761

Post#85 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:30 pm

RJ got to run 5 on 5 with Melo, Beal, and Trae in the gym that no one misses in.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,851

Post#86 » by robillionaire » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:06 pm

If he’s just as good as he was last year as far as shooting percentage from 3 I’ll be pretty glad. If he takes another “significant jump” as someone said we are going to win the championship. It’s hard for me to envision another significant jump though just from a physical standpoint I don’t know what he can do to finish at the rim better or create space to get shots off
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,236

Post#87 » by Zenzibar » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:44 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:

RJ got to run 5 on 5 with Melo, Beal, and Trae in the gym that no one misses in.

Kanter and Dimwiddie as well.

Good run and RJ looking even more brolic than last year and @ only 21 is going to be a problem.
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#88 » by knickabocker88 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:48 pm

cgf wrote:
knickabocker88 wrote:He's gotta be a Andre Iguodala / Shawn Marion type player on a Championship Team.

I don't think the defense will ever be that good but hopefully the offense is a little better.

See my previous post about setting specific expectations, but why can't RJ be more than that someday? Can't ever expect a kid to go full Beal / Butler / Middleton, but by that same token I have a tough time putting a ceiling on a kid with his drive & dedication to self-improvement.

You cant teach what he lacks in terms of Feel, fluidity and even quickness / athleticism.

I wish he was more of a Michael Beasley or Brandon Ingram but he's not.

Not saying he can't be an All Star but if he was gonna be a Manu / Harden type player we would have seen the flashes by now.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,466

Post#89 » by TheGreenArrow » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:25 pm

Read on Twitter

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,354

Post#90 » by F N 11 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 12:36 am

Off the dribble shooting looking nice. Tatum looking like damn I gotta deal with this guy.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,143

Post#91 » by The Lamma » Wed Sep 1, 2021 1:03 am

knickabocker88 wrote:
cgf wrote:

You cant teach what he lacks in terms of Feel, fluidity and even quickness / athleticism.

I wish he was more of a Michael Beasley or Brandon Ingram but he's not.

Not saying he can't be an All Star but if he was gonna be a Manu / Harden type player we would have seen the flashes by now.

Mmmm... Agree with lacking fluidity, quickness. Feel? Disagree. For a SG his ability to pass, make plays, find seams to get to the rim is at least average. Athleticism? Average for the NBA level, but not a weakness. He's done some pretty electrifying things out there. He does seem almost too muscle-y for his own good in a way as far as fluidity and quickness. He showed more "wiggle" pre-college for example.

But overall I'm more in line with CGF. There's several things here to like about RJ. The work ethic. His dog mentality. He's fearless. He's super intelligent. The massive improvement shooting from 3 this year. These are attributes that will likely enhance an already well rounded skill set, including being a 2 way player.

I see it playing out like this: You add all these things together and what we will see is a steadily improving player season by season. And based on his age and where he already is, you're going from solid, to good, to who knows.

And because of this sum total of attributes there's that chance all of a sudden things just click in a massive way and he takes a huge leap to stardom at some point.
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#92 » by BugginOut » Wed Sep 1, 2021 1:05 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Yeah RJ is going to tear the league up next season. The off the dribble 3s are going to open up his entire game.
Separatista
RealGM
And1: 6,659

Post#93 » by Separatista » Wed Sep 1, 2021 1:36 am

F N 11 wrote:

Off the dribble shooting looking nice. Tatum looking like damn I gotta deal with this guy.

Man, I’m trying to temper my expectations because these are exhibition highlights and all but I’m seeing all the things I want to see from this kid. Off the dribble shot, finishing at the rim, **** he got step-back, side step, midrange on that vid, damn. The defense and rebounding and all the “non flashy” plays is the ? right now but I’m getting optimistic.
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#94 » by BugginOut » Wed Sep 1, 2021 2:30 am

Separatista wrote:
F N 11 wrote:

Man, I’m trying to temper my expectations because these are exhibition highlights and all but I’m seeing all the things I want to see from this kid. Off the dribble shot, finishing at the rim, **** he got step-back, side step, midrange on that vid, damn. The defense and rebounding and all the “non flashy” plays is the ? right now but I’m getting optimistic.

RJ is already well rounded with his defense, rebounding and playmaking. He has all the fundamentals down and that’s why coaches love him. The real question is whether he will get the shot creation and shooting to an all star level. Hopefully he will answer that question this season.
Jonathan2347
Sophomore
And1: 60

Post#95 » by Jonathan2347 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 5:46 am

I'm betting on this

Randle 20 ppg
RJ 20 ppg
Fournier 15 ppg
Kemba 15 ppg
Rose 10 ppg
Quickley 8 ppg
Burks 8 ppg
Mitch 8 ppg
Toppin 7 ppg

Thats 111 per game... I agree someone taking a massive production cut in points. Whom ?

Sent from my SM-G996U using RealGM mobile app
F N 11
RealGM

Post#96 » by F N 11 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 11:23 am

Go back to my post that started the thread. I knew this was going to happen. Hanlen works on 1 thing at a time.
With off the dribble shooting added, expect a lot of below.

F N 11
RealGM

Post#97 » by F N 11 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 11:30 am

Jonathan2347 wrote:I'm betting on this

Randle 20 ppg
RJ 20 ppg
Fournier 15 ppg
Kemba 15 ppg
Rose 10 ppg
Quickley 8 ppg
Burks 8 ppg
Mitch 8 ppg
Toppin 7 ppg

Thats 111 per game... I agree someone taking a massive production cut in points. Whom ?

Kemba still has juice. He will be top 3 scoring. Fournier was brought in to shoot 46% from 3 like he did in Boston and to score when everyone else is off. Not to be a main guy.

Randle
Rj
kemba

Will be our top scorers.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,784

Post#98 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Sep 1, 2021 11:42 am

Will finally achieve full Tyreke Evans Turner mode this year
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,445

Post#99 » by NYKnickerbocker » Wed Sep 1, 2021 12:35 pm

I need some damn preseason already lol. Being a threat off the dribble would be huge for RJs overall offensive game
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,784

Post#100 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Sep 1, 2021 1:03 pm

F N 11 wrote:
Jonathan2347 wrote:I'm betting on this

Randle 20 ppg
RJ 20 ppg
Fournier 15 ppg
Kemba 15 ppg
Rose 10 ppg
Quickley 8 ppg
Burks 8 ppg
Mitch 8 ppg
Toppin 7 ppg

Kemba still has juice. He will be top 3 scoring. Fournier was brought in to shoot 46% from 3 like he did in Boston and to score when everyone else is off. Not to be a main guy.

Randle
Rj
kemba

Will be our top scorers.

Probably this. Fournier is a good scorer though.

Here's what I like about the lineup for RJ.

Let me state that I get college is not the NBA etc, and I know some of the reasons for RJ's success there etc.

RJ played well at Duke when he was surrounded by talent, they could push the pace some, and there were 4 players on the court who were plus passers who could all create. RJ, Zion, Cam and their PG whose name I forget - my memory sucks.
RJ is a willing passer, but he also does well when the ball moves and the defense is a little off balance. Gives him that fraction of a second more space, which is all he needs.

Fournier is a scorer who can create and should be considered a plus passer from SG or SF.
RJ is a plus passer from SG or SF.
Randle is absolutely a plus passer from PF.
Kemba or Rose are PG's, so their passing is good.
Off the bench, Burks creates, scores and passes.
IQ, less of a plus passer. but willing enough.

I'll assume as a Thibs coached team that the defense will get enough stops that this team can get out in transition more than last year and Kemba and Fournier should help that

The ball should move, their are multiple players who can attack yet pass, and there is a decent number of good shooters.

RJ is going to thrive in this offense.

Return to New York Knicks