ImageImageImage

Basketball back - 2021 Preseason [Next:Friday 7 PM CT @ Bucks]

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,549

Re: SUMMER LEAGUE THREAD 

Post#81 » by Bob8 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:37 am

leolozon wrote:I don't know why people are so down on Green, "all" he need is a 3pter. Good things happened a lot when he was on the floor last year. I'm more down on the fact that the Mavs barely gave him a chance and probably won't this year also.

He had fantastic chance, when Mavs had Covid problems. Unfortunately he didn't show much. I doubt that fighting spirit is enough to stay in the league.

The same goes with Austalian NT. Do you really think that coach wouldn't gave him at least little more playing time, if he would have shown something in 1 month and half practicing with NT? If you're not playing even in garbage time, then it's obviously that something is wrong. And even more funny is that he missed summer league, because he was tired after playing 15 minutes in Olympics. Another place to show something in a lot easier environment than Nba, but he decided not to play there, because of jet lag. Wtf?

It's not only about not hitting 3s, he was non existent in offense. He looked totally lost there. Richardson was bad, struggled with shooting..., but Green couldn't even get position to shoot, his drives to the rim more or less always ending disastrous.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,336

Post#82 » by Mavrelous » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:59 am

Bane, Tillman, Bey, Maxey all gave it all to become important rotation pieces on their team, they even made current rotation players on their team expendable.
We'll see what happena with Green, but it doesn't look good.
At any rate, it's not a big deal, you can find players like Sterling Brown and Bullock for FA exceptions, it's the stars that hurt.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Bob8
General Manager

Post#83 » by Bob8 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:53 am

KhalilS wrote:Bane, Tillman, Bey, Maxey all gave it all to become important rotation pieces on their team, they even made current rotation players on their team expendable.
At any rate, it's not a big deal, you can find players like Sterling Brown and Bullock for FA exceptions, it's the stars that hurt.

Not having many picks and missing them all in a draft they had them, it's kinda a big deal.
Btw. with Bey gone, they have basically traded Seth for Moses Brown. :banghead: Barnes went for nothing too. Missing in draft, doing disastrous trades and falling in love with players like Powell and Kleber results in not having any assets.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,794

Post#84 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:41 am

Bob8 wrote:
KhalilS wrote:Bane, Tillman, Bey, Maxey all gave it all to become important rotation pieces on their team, they even made current rotation players on their team expendable.

Not having many picks and missing them all in a draft they had them, it's kinda a big deal.
Btw. with Bey gone, they have basically traded Seth for Moses Brown. :banghead: Barnes went for nothing too. Missing in draft, doing disastrous trades and falling in love with players like Powell and Kleber results in not having any assets.

Dump players for nothing, draft only scrubs, never sign good FA... It's not a surprise if we don't have assets.

Luka is just a lucky situation.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#85 » by Mavrelous » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:48 am

Bob8 wrote:

Yeah, Donnie's last 6 years were a disaster, saved only by drafting Luka, Brunson and finding DFS, also trading crap + 2 low picks for KP and THJ.

blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#86 » by leolozon » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:00 am

Bob8 wrote:
leolozon wrote:I don't know why people are so down on Green, "all" he need is a 3pter. Good things happened a lot when he was on the floor last year. I'm more down on the fact that the Mavs barely gave him a chance and probably won't this year also.

He had fantastic chance, when Mavs had Covid problems. Unfortunately he didn't show much. I doubt that fighting spirit is enough to stay in the league.

The same goes with Austalian NT. Do you really think that coach wouldn't gave him at least little more playing time, if he would have shown something in 1 month and half practicing with NT? If you're not playing even in garbage time, then it's obviously that something is wrong. And even more funny is that he missed summer league, because he was tired after playing 15 minutes in Olympics. Another place to show something in a lot easier environment than Nba, but he decided not to play there, because of jet lag. Wtf?

It's not only about not hitting 3s, he was non existent in offense. He looked totally lost there. Richardson was bad, struggled with shooting..., but Green couldn't even get position to shoot, his drives to the rim more or less always ending disastrous.

I disagree that he was non existent. I thought that he showed energy and was active.

Him not playing in summer league is certainly a problem. It's disappointing and I don't understand the decision if it came from him. It's a bad look for sure.
leolozon
General Manager

Post#87 » by leolozon » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:14 am

JJP wrote:
leolozon wrote:
JJP wrote:
Players earn minutes. The Mavs aren't "holding him back." He will likely have opportunities to show he's better this season, and he might start to get it. But there's no evidence one way or another.

There are guys all over the NBA like Dennis Smith and Justin Jackson that just don't live up to their draft position. Both of those players had their moments, but they didn't stick because they weren't consistent.

You also often see guys not getting any trust/playing time and then panning out on another team. I don't think it's true that all players earn their minutes. Some players need time on the court to develop and find their groove.

Player's development isn't a "one size fits all".

C'mon. You show that stuff in practice. That's how you earn playing time.

Justin Jackson was with three teams and so was Dennis Smith. They didn't make it here.... and they didn't make after they were here. Don't take it personally, but coaches know more than the fans do. You really think you know more than they do?

I said that you often see some guys pan out on another team after not getting playing time, I'm obviously not talking about DSJ and Jackson who got plenty of playing time. Not sure why you bring them back.

What about Nash not getting opportunities in Phoenix? What about Wood in houston? Those two are extreme exemples of the "it's not a on size fits all" saying.

Will Green pan out? The odds are that he won't, but I do think that a lot of raw prospect need to play through their mistakes and be thrown in the fire to learn faster.

The team should have went for a more "established" guy to begin.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#88 » by Bob8 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:37 am

leolozon wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I disagree that he was non existent. I thought that he showed energy and was active.

Him not playing in summer league is certainly a problem. It's disappointing and I don't understand the decision if it came from him. It's a bad look for sure.

Sure he has showed energy. For 3 mio he should have showed something. He hasn't showed much else in offense though.

I understand his decision. He was afraid to look bad after not doing anything with Australia.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#89 » by JJP » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:35 pm

leolozon wrote:What about Nash not getting opportunities in Phoenix? What about Wood in houston? Those two are extreme exemples of the "it's not a on size fits all" saying.

That's not a very good comparison. Nash was going to get a deal somewhere. He could play and everyone knew it. He wasn't getting a "second chance". He was going to be a starting PG somewhere.

Wood isn't much better as a comparison. He had established himself outside the bounds of a rookie contract. Everyone knew he could play in Detroit, it was just a matter of how much and where.

Green's problem is that he's a unproven rookie who doesn't face any better that 50-50 odds of being on any NBA roster in 4 years. That's why comparing Green to DSJ or Jackson makes more sense. Both DSJ and Jackson saw more time on the court as rookies than Green did. Jackson averaged 22 mpg as a rookie, and DSJ averaged 29. So what does that tell you about Green?

The odds of a pick at 18 at being a good rotation player are only average to begin with. I don't think we're down on Green. I just think the historical odds are against him, and the weight of evidence (a 1st-round rookie who averaged less that 12 mpg and shot an abysmal .160 3-point%), has to be pretty bad. This is not a bet anyone should make.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#90 » by Mr B » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:56 pm

Nash’s problem in his first stint in Phoenix was that he played behind Jason Kidd and Kevin Johnson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#91 » by Teffer10 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:36 pm

leolozon wrote:
Will Green pan out? The odds are that he won't, but I do think that a lot of raw prospect need to play through their mistakes and be thrown in the fire to learn faster.

This will most likely be Green's best and last chance to make it in this league....at least as a Mav.
He'll basically have to beat out Brown for PT just to get an opportunity to prove he has shown any signs of improvement.

Personally I think he'll be mentioned in the same breath with Ager, Jones, Anderson, Cunningham, Larkin, DSJ and some others as draftees that the Mavs FO saw something that just wasn't there. I imagine Terry will most likely be added to that list before it's all over.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#92 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:16 am

Sad but true. We need to go after a guy at the TDL
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#93 » by Mr B » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:11 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#94 » by SOUNDCHASER » Tue Sep 7, 2021 12:08 am

The new guy we took off the GSW summer league team is probably a better option than Terry and Eugene could possibly be more useful and a better player than Green but we need to find out who can do what fast in Frisco if any of them are going to turn into keepers who get a chance to play with our win now team and I forgot to mention Onu as well. Next years 1st round pick is critical and needs to be a keeper and we need the best player available.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#95 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 8, 2021 12:53 pm

Terry doesn't look like an NBA player as of today. He needs to add more pounds to his frame.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#96 » by Mavrelous » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:00 pm

arkuo wrote:Terry doesn't look like an NBA player as of today. He needs to add more pounds to his frame.

What was more worrying for me is that he, with his slender frame he still struggled taking player players off the dribble, and relied on stepbacks, which at 6 feet tall arent' as effective as at 6'5-6'8 like Luka and Harden, but he should be able to flourish in Rip Hamilton/Duncan Robinson kind of role, constantly running around screens, I still have very high hopes for him.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#97 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:08 pm

KhalilS wrote:
arkuo wrote:Terry doesn't look like an NBA player as of today. He needs to add more pounds to his frame.

What was more worrying for me is that he, with his slender frame he still struggled taking player players off the dribble, and relied on stepbacks, which at 6 feet tall arent' as effective as at 6'5-6'8 like Luka and Harden, but he should be able to flourish in Rip Hamilton/Duncan Robinson kind of role, constantly running around screens, I still have very high hopes for him.

Yeah that seems to be a viable track for his career. To be able to successfully do that though, he has to be useful on the defensive end of things like Rip Hamilton is. A one way player at 6 feet flat and 20 pounds underweight has never gotten far in the NBA.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#98 » by JJP » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:06 am

I'm not as down on him as anyone in this thread. There are lots of players his height who managed great careers (Tiny Archibald, Spud Webb, Avery Johnson, and even Barea weren't as tall as Terry).

My problem with Terry is that he may not have that explosive first-step that guys like Barea have. He may need a better motor.

Still, this is a guy who needs more physical development - something that's at least do-able. The other metrics are pretty good - shooting, creating his own shot and assists, steals and even rebounds (at least in college). I think we need to give this guy a little more time.
leolozon
General Manager

Post#99 » by leolozon » Sat Oct 2, 2021 1:41 pm

What bothers me is not missing on a pick, it's the lack of forward thinking. Why are you drafting a project when you have a 21yo that was 1st team All-NBA? Bey and Bane were both more mature and better shooters, plus Bane is a better ball handler... To be fair, drafting Bane at that spot would have been weird, so they would have had to trade back. Plus who knows if the Mavs would have played those players anyway.

Green still has upside if he learns to shoot, but it indeed doesn't look good.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#100 » by Mavrelous » Sat Oct 2, 2021 1:57 pm

Yeah, it was an odd draft to say the least.

Return to Dallas Mavericks