Grizzlies To Buy Out Rajon Rondo, Rondo Expected To Sign With Lakers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Grizzlies To Buy Out Rajon Rondo, Rondo Expected To Sign With Lakers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:45 pm

The Memphis Grizzlies and veteran point guard Rajon Rondo have reached agreement on a buyout. Memphis will waive Rondo and he'll become an unrestricted free agent upon clearing waivers.

Upon clearing waivers, the Los Angles Lakers are the frontrunners to sign Rondo. 2021-22 will be Rondo's 16th NBA season. He played a big part in the Lakers winning the 2020 NBA Finals.

The Grizzlies acquired Rondo in a trade where they sent Eric Bledsoe to the LA Clippers for Rondo, Patrick Beverley and Daniel Oturu. Memphis subsequently traded Beverley to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Jarrett Culver and Juancho Hernangomez.

Memphis will still need to waive or trade at least three more players to get into regular season roster compliance.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Re: Grizzlies To Buy Out Rajon Rondo, Rondo Expected To Sign With Lakers 

Post#2 » by MitchB3 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:50 pm

Lakers: We need Rondo back.

Rondo: You could not live with your own failure, where did that bring you? Back to me.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#3 » by tigerae » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:55 pm

MitchB3 wrote:Lakers: We need Rondo back.

Rondo: You could not live with your own failure, where did that bring you? Back to me.
LOL

Good pickup imo.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#4 » by Scalabrine » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:20 pm

tigerae wrote:

LOL

Good pickup imo.

Gasol/Howard
Davis/Anthony/Ariza
James/Bazemore/Ellington
Horton-Tucker/Nunn/Monk
Westbrook/Rondo

Lots of talent and IQ on this team but who is gonna space the floor? Who is gonna be guarding the other teams opposing best guard? A lot of the professional analysts love the moves they made, and I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work, but this roster has soo many holes!
Go Knicks!
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 314

Post#5 » by Hans1984 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:09 am

The old get older. Welcome back !
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#6 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:49 am

Scalabrine wrote:
tigerae wrote:

LOL

Good pickup imo.

Gasol/Howard
Davis/Anthony/Ariza
James/Bazemore/Ellington
Horton-Tucker/Nunn/Monk
Westbrook/Rondo

Lots of talent and IQ on this team but who is gonna space the floor? Who is gonna be guarding the other teams opposing best guard? A lot of the professional analysts love the moves they made, and I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work, but this roster has soo many holes!

There are definitely some lineups to avoid.... Like Westbrook and any other non-shooter. Also, Westbrook, Rondo and Lebron are all clearly at their best with the ball in their hands. Only time will tell.
Camping Fan
Senior
And1: 215

Post#7 » by Camping Fan » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:05 am

:) Lakers should have kept Rondo and Howard to begin with for the continuity
Lakers 2020
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#8 » by Rashidi » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:58 am

Scalabrine wrote:
tigerae wrote:

LOL

Good pickup imo.

Gasol/Howard
Davis/Anthony/Ariza
James/Bazemore/Ellington
Horton-Tucker/Nunn/Monk
Westbrook/Rondo

Doubt THT starts, they need a shooter and he is not.

PG: Westbrook, Nunn, Rondo
SG: Monk, Ellington, Bazemore (and Nunn)
SF: LeBron, THT, (and Ariza/Bazemore)
PF: Davis, Melo, Ariza
C: Gasol, Howard, Davis

Is my guess. Starting SG likely decided in camp.

It's not a given that Rondo will be in the rotation given the year he had. THT is essentially a Point Forward so playing Nunn and another shooter next to him makes sense.
Rashidi
Rookie

Post#9 » by Rashidi » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:05 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
tigerae wrote:LOL

Good pickup imo.

Gasol/Howard
Davis/Anthony/Ariza
James/Bazemore/Ellington
Horton-Tucker/Nunn/Monk
Westbrook/Rondo

There are definitely some lineups to avoid.... Like Westbrook and any other non-shooter. Also, Westbrook, Rondo and Lebron are all clearly at their best with the ball in their hands. Only time will tell.

Rondo was essentially LeBron's backup in 2019, with LeBron checking back in at SF with him to end the half. LeBron can play off-ball and as a post threat so the fit with Rondo is fine. You can't play Westbrook and Rondo together though (he's not nearly the same post threat as James).

It's also worth noting this is probably the year LeBron relinquishes some on-ball responsibility anyway, or else they never would have brought Russ in.
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#10 » by donaldtrump_00 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:30 am

I'm not a laker by any stretch or a LeBron fan period. But this term everyone crazy about using today is "fit" you don't need to fit when you have the best players on the court. I'm more in here to let everyone know LeBron still hasn't changed since 2010. Build and stack the deck. Whether there older in age or super young. There a superteam non the less. All this just to beat kd kyrie and Harden. Its at the point I'm hoping for another injury ridden season to the top teams so other teams can get a chance. It's not fair.if it wasn't for these super teams we don't know who would go all the way. I'm far from a person to wish a injury on another person. But this bs needs to stop. The Lakers are built like a dynasty. I don't care if there older. Them old players are or were superstars not long ago and Allstars. They know when to turn it up. Only lakers and Brooklyn can defeat each other. No other team comes close.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#11 » by fuller4379 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:05 pm

Team Geritol. This team would have been good about 8 years ago when the players were in their prime.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#12 » by D21 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:08 pm

fuller4379 wrote:Team Geritol. This team would have been good about 8 years ago when the players were in their prime.

But there would not have been enough money to get all of these guys, especially at the C spot
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#13 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:11 pm

Rashidi wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
Gasol/Howard
Davis/Anthony/Ariza
James/Bazemore/Ellington
Horton-Tucker/Nunn/Monk
Westbrook/Rondo

Rondo was essentially LeBron's backup in 2019, with LeBron checking back in at SF with him to end the half. LeBron can play off-ball and as a post threat so the fit with Rondo is fine. You can't play Westbrook and Rondo together though (he's not nearly the same post threat as James).

It's also worth noting this is probably the year LeBron relinquishes some on-ball responsibility anyway, or else they never would have brought Russ in.

In 2019 Rondo was #14 in ORtg out of 14 qualified Lakers. His numbers were a little inflated because Lebron missed so much time but he was really bad. LAL were hard to watch that season.
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#14 » by objectivefan » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:20 am

OK. I get it, they like having many playmakers around

but where is the shooting?
Rashidi
Rookie

Post#15 » by Rashidi » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:26 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Rashidi wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:There are definitely some lineups to avoid.... Like Westbrook and any other non-shooter. Also, Westbrook, Rondo and Lebron are all clearly at their best with the ball in their hands. Only time will tell.

In 2019 Rondo was #14 in ORtg out of 14 qualified Lakers. His numbers were a little inflated because Lebron missed so much time but he was really bad. LAL were hard to watch that season.

The Lakers were hard to watch the year they won the championship???

ORTG is not really intended as an individual measurement tool (low usage / high FG% players like Tyson Chandler and Kyle Korver are efficient but someone has to actually run the offense IRL and rack up turnovers).

LeBron played 67 of 71 games in 2019. Missed a lot of time?

Edit: Apologies if not referring to the season as 2020 lead to some confusion.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#16 » by tigerae » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:26 am

objectivefan wrote:OK. I get it, they like having many playmakers around

but where is the shooting?
Stats last year:
Bazemore shot a career best 40% from 3s.
Nunn shot 38% from 3s.
Ariza shot 35% from 3s.
Melo shot a career best 40% from 3s.
Rondo shot a career best 43% from 3s.
Ellington shot 42% from 3s.
Monk shot 40% from 3s.

With LeBron, AD and Westbrook getting a ton of attention, those players should be able to get a lot of open shots next season. I think that will allow them to shoot even better but even if they make their shots similarly to what they did last year they will be fine in the shooting department.

Return to Wiretap Discussion