ImageImageImageImageImage

Updated salary situation for 2021-2022.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,127

Re: Updated salary situation for 2021-2022. 

Post#81 » by gp2015 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:00 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
vulture wrote:Think about this for a moment, would you rather have Norm for 5 years at 18 mill or Gary at 17 for 2 years as a prove it contract? I'll take the Gary contract tbh.
He didn't play well defensively when he came over but he's actually above average on that end and this year will show that.

Enough of that intelligent talk.

Except that it's not just a two year contract. It's 2+1 player option.

If Trent plays badly, he's going to pick up the option and we're stuck paying for the bad contract.
If he plays above expectations, then he opts out and either we will have to overpay to re-sign him to a new contract or lose him.

Intelligent talk that conveniently skips the most important details and the worst part of the contract.....

Back to school you go.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
vulture
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,899

Post#82 » by vulture » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:21 pm

gp2015 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
vulture wrote:Think about this for a moment, would you rather have Norm for 5 years at 18 mill or Gary at 17 for 2 years as a prove it contract? I'll take the Gary contract tbh.
He didn't play well defensively when he came over but he's actually above average on that end and this year will show that.

If Trent plays badly, he's going to pick up the option and we're stuck paying for the bad contract.
If he plays above expectations, then he opts out and either we will have to overpay to re-sign him to a new contract or lose him.

Intelligent talk that conveniently skips the most important details and the worst part of the contract.....

Back to school you go.

Even if he plays bad, that is tradeable expiring contract and he will only be 25. The dude is a career 38% 3 point shooter and this the going rate for a shooter like that.
I wish we didn't give him the player option, but it's a prove it contract. there is no doubt he will outplay this contract and to me and I was hoping for the longer commitment under a reasonable deal.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,329

Post#83 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:22 pm

gp2015 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

Back to school you go.

lol
Trent's production last season warrants his contract he just got. You realize that or are you too confused? What if Norm plays badly? I'm not saying that because it has nothing to do with this argument. And since you think you're smart, if Norm plays bad, you are worse off since you're on the hook for 5 years compared to Trent's 3. Salami.

gp2015
RealGM

Post#84 » by gp2015 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:42 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

Back to school you go.

lol
Trent's production last season warrants his contract he just got. You realize that or are you too confused? What if Norm plays badly? I'm not saying that because it has nothing to do with this argument. And since you think you're smart, if Norm plays bad, you are worse off since you're on the hook for 5 years compared to Trent's 3. Salami.

Thanks for acknowledging that you ignored a huge part of the contract because it didn't fit your narrative.

Checkmate.

Back to school again for you.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
gp2015
RealGM

Post#85 » by gp2015 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:47 pm

vulture wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

Back to school you go.

Even if he plays bad, that is tradeable expiring contract and he will only be 25. The dude is a career 38% 3 point shooter and this the going rate for a shooter like that.
I wish we didn't give him the player option, but it's a prove it contract. there is no doubt he will outplay this contract and to me and I was hoping for the longer commitment under a reasonable deal.

The player option is a win-win for him and no-win for us. It would have been a much better deal without it but at the same time, it's likely he doesn't sign a contract without it.

Hopefully he outplays his contract but I can't say I am as confident as you are based on his play with us last season.
vulture
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,899

Post#86 » by vulture » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:59 pm

gp2015 wrote:
vulture wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

Back to school you go.

The player option is a win-win for him and no-win for us. It would have been a much better deal without it but at the same time, it's likely he doesn't sign a contract without it.

Hopefully he outplays his contract but I can't say I am as confident as you are based on his play with us last season.

That's fair. Let's remember that the team was in tank mode when he showed up and this year should be a gage of how he adjust to the defensive system.
I'm more worried about his defense, but he showed good savviness in the bubble and I hope that returns.
If he shoots it at 38% from 3 and defends decently, we will all be hoping that there was no player option lol.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,329

Post#87 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:10 pm

gp2015 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

Back to school you go.

lol

Thanks for acknowledging that you ignored a huge part of the contract because it didn't fit your narrative.

Checkmate.

Back to school again for you.

Lmao. Stop ignoring facts. Go back to bed kid. Wrong again.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,560

Post#88 » by DreamTeam09 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:28 pm

Why do ppl talk like we are in the tax this year?

In Raptor Ball I Trust
aligator
Assistant Coach
And1: 432

Post#89 » by aligator » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:30 pm

Because we are. Of course that can and will be avoided by moves made before end of season. If those moves are not made, then team will be in the tax. This has been previously discussed.
aligator
Assistant Coach

Post#90 » by aligator » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:43 pm

Perhaps I should have said, we could be when roster filled. As it is now, team is right under it with contracts still to be added which would cause potential tax problem unless larger ones are gone. Of course, there is plenty of time to address it, but it is an issue.
Kinger95
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,730

Post#91 » by Kinger95 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:23 pm

Just took a quick look at trent he’s advanced stats and I can see why Portland traded him lol.

I honestly don’t like his game just from watch him. He’s a pretty average volume shooter that provides not much else. Just my opinion but he’s a black hole offensively that stops the ball, and defensively I don’t think he’s great positionally or disruptive, he looks like he’s trying but that doesn’t make u a good defender lol
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,875

Post#92 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:24 am

gp2015 wrote:
vulture wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

Back to school you go.

What is the point of fan nickel and diming an after the fact done deal contract where nobody asked our opinions? Let's watch our team and stop the pretense of what is and what isn't good value at rates of pay that always fluctuate for a whole host of reasons. It is more a question if the commitment is worth a gamble than being a good value. Everything has risks. Our group takes risks
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#93 » by StopitLeo » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:46 pm

Kinger95 wrote:Just took a quick look at trent he’s advanced stats and I can see why Portland traded him lol.

I honestly don’t like his game just from watch him. He’s a pretty average volume shooter that provides not much else. Just my opinion but he’s a black hole offensively that stops the ball, and defensively I don’t think he’s great positionally or disruptive, he looks like he’s trying but that doesn’t make u a good defender lol

Average volume shooter? He’s a 39% 3pt shooter on over 5 attempts per game.

I think his defense will be better after a full training camp. Trent has a high basketball IQ and he puts in effort on the defensive end. I think his issues last year were adjusting to Toronto’s schemes, which are known to be complex.

As far as his contract, unless he forgets how to shoot he’ll be a 25 year old who makes 3s at a 40% clip during that option year. That’s an easily tradable asset to a contender.
aligator
Assistant Coach

Post#94 » by aligator » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:37 pm

Kinger95 wrote:Just took a quick look at trent he’s advanced stats and I can see why Portland traded him lol.

A far better player both offensively and defensively than the guy he was traded for. Much higher BBIQ makes the difference. Had to adjust during a tank while playing through injuries.
gp2015
RealGM

Post#95 » by gp2015 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:57 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
vulture wrote:

What is the point of fan nickel and diming an after the fact done deal contract where nobody asked our opinions? Let's watch our team and stop the pretense of what is and what isn't good value at rates of pay that always fluctuate for a whole host of reasons. It is more a question if the commitment is worth a gamble than being a good value. Everything has risks. Our group takes risks

Perhaps this is a basketball forum to discuss our opinions about our teams?
gp2015
RealGM

Post#96 » by gp2015 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:59 pm

aligator wrote:

A far better player both offensively and defensively than the guy he was traded for. Much higher BBIQ makes the difference. Had to adjust during a tank while playing through injuries.

Sorry but Trent is not the better offensive player at this point right now, let alone "far better".

Maybe he can be with some work but he's not right now.
aligator
Assistant Coach

Post#97 » by aligator » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:30 pm

Sorry but I don't agree. He was when he first came over before tanking and injuries set in.
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#98 » by navyblue » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:27 pm

StopitLeo wrote:

Average volume shooter? He’s a 39% 3pt shooter on over 5 attempts per game.

I think his defense will be better after a full training camp. Trent has a high basketball IQ and he puts in effort on the defensive end. I think his issues last year were adjusting to Toronto’s schemes, which are known to be complex.

As far as his contract, unless he forgets how to shoot he’ll be a 25 year old who makes 3s at a 40% clip during that option year. That’s an easily tradable asset to a contender.

there are 40% shooters who only take wide open/corner 3s, like danny green
and there are 40% shooters who take tough shots, coming off movement, step back shooters, above the break shooters like duncan Robinson

gary trent falls into the duncan robinson category.

i think nick nurse said it best, trent jr has gravity to his game.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,571

Post#99 » by bluerap23 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:02 am

Updated with Svi

Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,886

Post#100 » by Reeko » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:34 am

It's gross that we're paying Trent more than OG. I hope he comes in this season and changes our minds about him.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.

Return to Toronto Raptors