Jalen Green - next elite prospect

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Re: Jalen Green - next elite prospect 

Post#261 » by yoyoboy » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:29 pm

Jalen Green is exciting to watch, but I still haven't seen anything that makes me regret putting him just 6th on my board. I'm confused why other people are acting like we didn't know he was a great scorer already?

For one, a sample size of just 2.5 games is small, and it's extremely unlikely he's a 50% 3P shooter and 93% FT shooter in reality. If he shoots even 7/19 instead of 10/19 from three, which is still 37% - higher than his G-League 3P%, his USA Basketball 3P%, and his 3P% from any high school season - and if he shoots 12/14 on free throws (86%) instead of 13/14...now instead of 30.4 points per 36 min on 70.7% TS, you're looking at a more reasonable 25.4 points per 36 min on 59.1% TS. That efficiency is actually right in line with his 58.7% TS in the G-League (BBR is wrong because it didn't adjust for the new FT rules).

Meanwhile, he's averaging 2 apg/2.3 topg and he's only registered 1 steal in over 72 minutes of playing time and defense is clearly a weak point for him in general. This is basically what I've expected of Green thus far, and I don't know why people are suddenly changing their minds on him (in either direction for that matter). He's a natural scorer but the questions lie in how he'll be able to make any impact elsewhere. Because there's only so much value you can provide from scoring alone. If Green turns out to just be a 6'4 super scorer, then he's basically just a more exciting version of Beal, with maybe slightly more efficient scoring but a little less playmaking. Look at Sexton: 25 points per 36 minutes on 57.3% TS, and based on his trajectory he's probably on his way to 27 ppg on near 60% TS very soon. But nobody around the league wants him because combo guard scorers with a lacking all-around game just aren't seen in that great of a light. Green is 3 inches taller and more athletic, so I understand the idea he'll eclipse that kind of production and be able to provide more defensive value. But the point remains that if Jalen Green is just the best version of that archetype, I'm not sure that player is ever more than a fringe All-Star at best.

So far I've been most impressed by Sengun and Suggs, just in terms of passing the eye test. Followed by Green. And then Murphy III, Cooper, McBride, and maybe a few others. Duarte has been good, too, but he's 24 so I'm not too excited by his performances against guys 4-5 years younger.
VeritasTri
Sophomore
And1: 91

Post#262 » by VeritasTri » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:00 pm

K_chile22 wrote:Nowell did that at 21 with several college seasons under his belt, not 18 straight out of HS.

Poole and Mannion's g league numbers aren't comparable at all when you look at efficiency. Over Poole's two g league seasons, again, aged 20 and 21, he put up a paltry 51% TS. Manion was 19 but just 53%TS. Green put up 20 points per 36 on 61%TS at 18 straight out of HS. He shot better from the nba 3 point line than LaVine did until LaVine's age 20 season.

Also the G League ignite had pretty awful spacing, he mostly played next to Jarrett Jack or Bobby Brown, two non shooting bigs and Kuminga. Of guys who took at least 25 3s only he and Todd hit over 36%. Warriors G League team had 6 such guys last year, which helps guys like Mannion a ton. Wolves two seasons ago had 8.

This feels like box score scouting with no regards for context or seeing the guy play to be totally honest

I felt like I was watching Coby White when I watched him play, thus the initial comp.

Feel free to list all the anorexic no defense playing SGs who became more than empty scorers and sixth men. They almost always try to turn them into PGs despite not having the skill because its the only guy on the other team they can hope to defend and not get bullied.

I am only partially making judgements off of his Gleague stats due to sample size and competition. My bringing up guys like Mannion and Nowell wasnt to say they are just as good as Green but to illustrate how trash the G-league is and how even mediocre borderline NBA guys can post good numbers there. Drop a legit all NBA type prospect into that bunch and I would expect much more, I would expect domination.

The good thing about these kind of discussions is in a couple years we will see.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#263 » by Stillwater » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:52 pm

Marcus wrote:
Stillwater wrote:is the soft label going to be a thing now?

i hope not. kid definitely doesn't play scared out there. you'd think he was Bron's size the way he throws his body around at the cup.
Yeah doesn't play soft but that "injury" looked like it was nothing to be anything on the level to prevent further pt
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#264 » by Marcus » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:57 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Marcus wrote:

i hope not. kid definitely doesn't play scared out there. you'd think he was Bron's size the way he throws his body around at the cup.
Yeah doesn't play soft but that "injury" looked like it was nothing to be anything on the level to prevent further pt

gave them a good enough reason to shut him down. think they saw whatever it was they needed to see.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,920

Post#265 » by K_chile22 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:46 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Marcus wrote:

You don't play around with hamstrings, if he ended up playing and grade 2 straining it that can bother him into camp
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,225

Post#266 » by PhilBlackson » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:29 am

Yes...but don't forget about Antman.

They're both gonna be special.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#267 » by DCasey91 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:13 am

Man the way he moves reminds me of Penny if he was shorter and wanted to score first all the time. Similar frames being lean but strong, fingers crossed no major injuries in the future.

Seen enough, he’s going to be very exciting don’t want to play around with hammies R&R and get ready for the start of the season. Can’t wait!
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#268 » by Marcus » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:22 pm

DCasey91 wrote:Man the way he moves reminds me of Penny if he was shorter and wanted to score first all the time. Similar frames being lean but strong, fingers crossed no major injuries in the future.

Seen enough, he’s going to be very exciting don’t want to play around with hammies R&R and get ready for the start of the season. Can’t wait!

See, now you're gonna make me scrutinize his game even more. The mere mention of the personal G.O.A.T now puts this kid under the most severe microscope possible.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Brofessor24
Sixth Man
And1: 888

Post#269 » by Brofessor24 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:15 am

Jalen should have been the number one pick. He has that IT factor.

Plus, it helps that he is very likable/confident.
SaNdMiRkS
Sophomore
And1: 109

Post#270 » by SaNdMiRkS » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:40 pm

Brofessor24 wrote:Jalen should have been the number one pick. He has that IT factor.

Confident, okay, but likable? He seems like a potential headcase & has a very off-putting personality

Regarding the top pick, I still think CC will prove his worth there due to the generational two-way IQ. JG is more of a project than people are realizing.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#271 » by DCasey91 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:33 am

JG is anything but a project. He’s more skill developed than Edwards is.

It’s literally less than 3 years and 15+ pounds away from scoring 30 every other night.

I mean KD was probably the last type that could score like this out of the gate. Doncic I thought would be less but that was way off the mark.

Watch for the magical 20ppg rookie year, that’s the gold standard. Never been an easier to score nowadays and he looks naturally born for it.

Ahead of Mobley, Barnes, Kuminga

JG is far from a project. He did score 25 without any fuss at all.

The planning game/sets for him was in G league play. Watch his off ball screen shooting he’s gotten well comfortable. The PNR action will improve. That’s the most scary proposition because there was definite quality flashes.

JG has actually improved every year since his last year of high school.

Freak/best tier athleticism + quality skills (Fantastic finisher like Zion which people overlook and claim athleticism when it’s actually a developed skill on the touch with natural ability) Ben Simmons? Freak athlete but can’t finish to save himself lol poor touch

JG = Star or Superstar.
Sea2003
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#272 » by Sea2003 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:58 am

Mobley is firmly ahead of JG imo
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,891

Post#273 » by Shock Defeat » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:50 pm

Sea2003 wrote:Mobley is firmly ahead of JG imo

Mobley is a project big that needs to see if he will pan out at all.
Brofessor24
Sixth Man

Post#274 » by Brofessor24 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:55 am

SaNdMiRkS wrote:
Brofessor24 wrote:Jalen should have been the number one pick. He has that IT factor.

Confident, okay, but likable? He seems like a potential headcase & has a very off-putting personality

Regarding the top pick, I still think CC will prove his worth there due to the generational two-way IQ. JG is more of a project than people are realizing.

To me he is extremely likable. Doesn't seem like a head case at all, nor does he have an off-putting personality. You must live in a wacky alternate universe.

JG is extremely polished.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,323

Post#275 » by Mr Peanut » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:09 am

Brofessor24 wrote:
SaNdMiRkS wrote:

To me he is extremely likable. Doesn't seem like a head case at all, nor does he have an off-putting personality. You must live in a wacky alternate universe.

His isn't a singular opinion.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not a salty Pistons fan who hates Green. I was probably one of the minority who was very open to trading down from #1 to draft Green and collect additional assets.

But a guy who during his introductory press conference talks about getting a max contract after his rookie deal and repeatedly talked trash about an entire city of the team who didn't draft him has a long way to go in the maturity process.
Brofessor24
Sixth Man

Post#276 » by Brofessor24 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:07 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:
Brofessor24 wrote:
SaNdMiRkS wrote:

And don't get me wrong, I'm not a salty Pistons fan who hates Green. I was probably one of the minority who was very open to trading down from #1 to draft Green and collect additional assets.

But a guy who during his introductory press conference talks about getting a max contract after his rookie deal and repeatedly talked trash about an entire city of the team who didn't draft him has a long way to go in the maturity process.

You seem way too sensitive.

I love Jalen's confidence. Also, he has no obligation to say nice things 100% of the time. It's admirable that he is willing to share his unfiltered opinions.

It's hilarious how pathetic some NBA fans are. They want players to talk more, but then they get triggered when a player says something that they don't like.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,033
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#277 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:01 pm

Brofessor24 wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:
Brofessor24 wrote:

I love Jalen's confidence. Also, he has no obligation to say nice things 100% of the time. It's admirable that he is willing to share his unfiltered opinions.

It's hilarious how pathetic some NBA fans are. They want players to talk more, but then they get triggered when a player says something that they don't like.

There is a lot of gray between “he’s extremely likable and amazing” and “you guys are too sensitive.”

Green is my favorite prospect in this draft, but his personality isn’t something I’m fauning over and stanning for either. He’s just your run of the mill kinda douchey teen.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Brofessor24
Sixth Man

Post#278 » by Brofessor24 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:49 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Brofessor24 wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:

There is a lot of gray between “he’s extremely likable and amazing” and “you guys are too sensitive.”

Green is my favorite prospect in this draft, but his personality isn’t something I’m fauning over and stanning for either. He’s just your run of the mill kinda douchey teen.

We're just expressing our opinions.

IMO there is nothing douchey about him.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,323

Post#279 » by Mr Peanut » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:23 am

Brofessor24 wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:
Brofessor24 wrote:

And you seem overly dismissive of any line of thinking that goes against yours. Having that outlook on a basketball forum where diversity of viewpoint is encouraged is what's really "hilariously pathetic".

But hey, just expressing my opinion.
Brofessor24
Sixth Man

Post#280 » by Brofessor24 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:48 am

Mr Peanut wrote:
Brofessor24 wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:

And you seem overly dismissive of any line of thinking that goes against yours. Having that outlook on a basketball forum where diversity of viewpoint is encouraged is what's really "hilariously pathetic".

But hey, just expressing my opinion.

That same logic could be applied to you.

Just expressing my opinion.

I'm glad that Jalen isn't a fan of Detroit. That city is hella boring.

Return to NBA Draft