ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 268 in MSG Usman vs Colby 2, Rose vs Zhang 2

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Juggynaut
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,815

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 262 Oliveira vs Chandler (for Khabib's vacant title), Ferguson vs Dariush 

Post#1821 » by Juggynaut » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:39 am

Youtuber fights are basically WWE ZZZZZZZZ
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,396

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 262 Oliveira vs Chandler (for Khabib's vacant title), Ferguson vs Dariush 

Post#1822 » by BadNewsBarnes » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:41 am

bringbackhoffa wrote:Was that 1 judge blind giving it to Woodley, Woodley was so scared like his last few mma fights to let his hands loose

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app

Only three people could have made a bet on Paul to win by split decision...the promoter, the judge who gave it to Woodley, and the Paul family...think of the odds...smh
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#1823 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:24 am

BadNewsBarnes wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:Was that 1 judge blind giving it to Woodley, Woodley was so scared like his last few mma fights to let his hands loose

Only three people could have made a bet on Paul to win by split decision...the promoter, the judge who gave it to Woodley, and the Paul family...think of the odds...smh

lol, the proof would be to in the receipts. Someone must have 'em.

Paul was such a lumbering slow and big target but Tyron wouldn't pull the trigger to throw the heavy artillery once again. There must be a mental/neurological reason for this.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,436

Post#1824 » by j4remi » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:47 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
BadNewsBarnes wrote:

Paul was such a lumbering slow and big target but Tyron wouldn't pull the trigger to throw the heavy artillery once again. There must be a mental/neurological reason for this.

I think Woodley's tentativeness is because he slowed down. It progressively got worse throughout his career and I think that's because a young Woodley was so fast and athletic that his windows for the overhand right were a lot bigger and more widely available. That's a pure guess though, I haven't watched Strikeforce Woodley in a long time. I just remember good jabs offsetting his power even in his hey-day.

Paul is learning and growing but considering his resources and time, I feel like he's not even very talented. He's got power in the overhand right, but that's about all. His big evolution this fight was adding a second punch behind his first...even three sometimes. The body jab to overhand combo is a nice piece of work but it was about all he had. He still had weak footwork, getting crossed up at times. He still panicked when pressured and just tried to punch his way out. He lasted 8 rounds sure, but against a low activity fighter and still slowing down enough to lose late rounds. I think a boxer with a decent amateur experience would wash the kid.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1825 » by j4remi » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:05 pm

Bigger news from this weekend for combat sports imo...Giga Chikadze put on a striking clinic against Edson Barboza, which makes 145's top tier even crazier.

Max vs Yair and Volk vs Ortega is booked.
Zabit and Giga are both waiting for shots against the elites.
Korean Zombie, Calvin Kattar, and Josh Emmett are looking like the best gatekeeper line-up ever.
And just to crack 10-15, you'll have to fight a dude like Bryce Mitchell or Shane Burgos...certified problems!

135 and 145 have closed the gap for deepest division with Lightweight now that Khabib retired with Conor and Ferguson falling off.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1826 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:12 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
BadNewsBarnes wrote:

I think Woodley's tentativeness is because he slowed down. It progressively got worse and I think that's because a young Woodley was so fast and athletic that his windows for the overhand right were a lot bigger and more widely available. That's a pure guess though, I haven't watched Strikeforce Woodley in a long time. I just remember good jabs offsetting his power even in his hey-day.

Paul is learning and growing but considering his resources and time, I feel like he's not even very talented. He's got power in the overhand right, but that's about all. His big evolution this fight was adding a second punch behind his first...even three sometimes. The body jab to overhand combo is a nice piece of work but it was about all he had. He still had weak footwork, getting crossed up at times. He still panicked when pressured and just tried to punch his way out. He lasted 8 rounds sure, but against a low activity fighter and still slowing down enough to lose late rounds. I think a boxer with a decent amateur experience would wash the kid.

Agreed
POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1827 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:15 pm

j4remi wrote:Bigger news from this weekend for combat sports imo...Giga Chikadze put on a striking clinic against Edson Barboza, which makes 145's top tier even crazier.

Korean Zombie, Calvin Kattar, and Josh Emmett are looking like the best gatekeeper line-up ever.
And just to crack 10-15, you'll have to fight a dude like Bryce Mitchell or Shane Burgos...certified problems!

135 and 145 have closed the gap for deepest division with Lightweight now that Khabib retired with Conor and Ferguson falling off.

Giga and Yiri are two of my new favorite fighters. And you gotta love those names.
POSTING POLICIES:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1828 » by j4remi » Wed Sep 1, 2021 12:18 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
j4remi wrote:Bigger news from this weekend for combat sports imo...Giga Chikadze put on a striking clinic against Edson Barboza, which makes 145's top tier even crazier.

Giga and Yiri are two of my new favorite fighters. And you gotta love those names.

Lemme throw in one more epic named fighter for you. Shavkat Rakhmonov, 14-0 with a 100% finishing rate that's perfectly split to 7 KO's and 7 Subs. He's new to the UFC but has been just as dominant as he was in M1 (which is a REALLY league to watch if you ever get the chance). If you lined up Jiri, Giga, and Rakhmonov...I'd say all three have future champ potential with Rakhmonov the least proven but having the highest upside of the bunch. He's REALLY impressive.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1829 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Sep 1, 2021 9:21 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Lemme throw in one more epic named fighter for you. Shavkat Rakhmonov, 14-0 with a 100% finishing rate that's perfectly split to 7 KO's and 7 Subs. He's new to the UFC but has been just as dominant as he was in M1 (which is a REALLY league to watch if you ever get the chance). If you lined up Jiri, Giga, and Rakhmonov...I'd say all three have future champ potential with Rakhmonov the least proven but having the highest upside of the bunch. He's REALLY impressive.

Rakmanhov sounds familiar. Has he fought yet in the UFC?

Also, where can I watch M1?
POSTING POLICIES:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1830 » by j4remi » Fri Sep 3, 2021 3:28 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Rakmanhov sounds familiar. Has he fought yet in the UFC?

Also, where can I watch M1?

He's only got 2 UFC fights, but they're both impressive performances. If I'm not mistaken, M1 events usually pop up on Fite TV (also where I look for Bareknuckle events).

We've got some interesting fights for the UFC this weekend too, main card starts at 4 with Darren Till vs Derek Brunson headlining and I assume the winner will be short-listed for the next 185 title fight.

A legit Heavy prospect in Tom Aspinall is the co-main. Always entertaining Alex Morono and Khalil Rountree each fight different opponents on that card too. And possibly a sleeper, but Paddy Pimblett finally debuts in the UFC. He's a BIG personality and was one of the biggest prospects out of Europe for a while. He hasn't quite reached the peaks we expected but he's still young and never has boring fights. He has an extensive Cage Warriors career which is impressive considering how young he is because CW has legitimate fighters. I think his personality will make him a staple, he's a love 'em or hate 'em type through and through.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1831 » by j4remi » Sat Sep 4, 2021 8:28 pm

Paddy Pimblett came through with the goods. First round knockout without showing his bread and butter grappling, got in some trouble because of his style but nothing too crazy. And he had a great post-fight interview.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1832 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:04 am

j4remi wrote:Paddy Pimblett came through with the goods. First round knockout without showing his bread and butter grappling, got in some trouble because of his style but nothing too crazy. And he had a great post-fight interview.

:D

Anyhow what do you know about Alex Pereira who just signed with the UFC. Is that left hook all that? It kinda looks like it to me. But he doesn't have many MMA fights under his belt. Why is that? Does he jump in front of everyone else for a fight with the winner of Izzy and Whitaker?

I have questions, damn it!

POSTING POLICIES:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1833 » by j4remi » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:53 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
j4remi wrote:Paddy Pimblett came through with the goods. First round knockout without showing his bread and butter grappling, got in some trouble because of his style but nothing too crazy. And he had a great post-fight interview.

Anyhow what do you know about Alex Pereira who just signed with the UFC. Is that left hook all that? It kinda looks like it to me. But he doesn't have many MMA fights under his belt. Why is that? Does he jump in front of everyone else for a fight with the winner of Izzy and Whitaker?

He's genuinely one of the best strikers on the planet at his weight-class...His power is legit and he doesn't have to wing bombs out to make it work. That said, I've seen enough elite strikers transfer to mma and lose their edge. I'm gonna wait and see how his development goes up the ladder.

Also, the thing that gets left out of the "he KO'ed Izzy" hype is how that fight was going before the KO. Adesanya was beating the hell out of him. It's kinda like the dude who knocked out Badr Hari last week (Badr knocked the man down three times and probably got a little too comfortable unloading on the guy). I still consider Izzy the better striker thanks to my own personal biases.

Anyway, Pereira deserves some real hype. But it's prospect hype for me. He's gotta clear the hurdles like grappling effectively and comfort in a cage setting before the buzz is truly warranted. Sometimes you get Adesanya and others you get Gokhan Saki.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1834 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:14 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

He's genuinely one of the best strikers on the planet at his weight-class...His power is legit and he doesn't have to wing bombs out to make it work. That said, I've seen enough elite strikers transfer to mma and lose their edge. I'm gonna wait and see how his development goes up the ladder.

Also, the thing that gets left out of the "he KO'ed Izzy" hype is how that fight was going before the KO. Adesanya was beating the hell out of him. It's kinda like the dude who knocked out Badr Hari last week (Badr knocked the man down three times and probably got a little too comfortable unloading on the guy). I still consider Izzy the better striker thanks to my own personal biases.

Anyway, Pereira deserves some real hype. But it's prospect hype for me. He's gotta clear the hurdles like grappling effectively and comfort in a cage setting before the buzz is truly warranted. Sometimes you get Adesanya and others you get Gokhan Saki.

Who would you have him fight first in the Division? Would you pair him up against one of the wrestlers like Vittori, Brunson, or Yoel (is he retired?) or one of the strikers like Costa, Cannonier or Till?

Wonder why the video was taken down? lol
POSTING POLICIES:
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#1835 » by HighRyzer83 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:48 am

Yeah something about that kid is super exciting.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1836 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:35 am

HighRyzer83 wrote:

He's another Brit with a big fooking mouth. :lol:

Seriously, who's Dana going to feed him to build him back up after his loss to Bak? I don't know too many, if any, fighters from that area who have made it as wrestlers. I'll definitely be interested is see if he can come bak (get it? lol) after this loss.

OT: BTW anyone here ever deal with flexor tendon injury over the lower knuckle?
POSTING POLICIES:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1837 » by j4remi » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:08 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Who would you have him fight first in the Division? Would you pair him up against one of the wrestlers like Vittori, Brunson, or Yoel (is he retired?) or one of the strikers like Costa, Cannonier or Till?

I wouldn't put him anywhere near any of the guys you named. He's got a handful of mma fights only. So I'd expect them to run him out against feeler prospects to get some opportunities to develop and learn. I'd go with a couple of Unranked opponents, a striker then a more comfortable grappler, and then we'd adjust his schedule after we get a feel for where he stands against quality MMA pros.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1838 » by j4remi » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:21 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:

He's another Brit with a big fooking mouth. :lol:

Seriously, who's Dana going to feed him to build him back up after his loss to Bak? I don't know too many, if any, fighters from that area who have made it as wrestlers. I'll definitely be interested is see if he can come bak (get it? lol) after this loss.

OT: BTW anyone here ever deal with flexor tendon injury over the lower knuckle?

Pimblett can grapple. Bak's a legitimate fighter in his own right and Paddy was like 22 years old. Paddy's already bounced back by stopping three straight opponents. I'd liken Pimblett's losses to Aaron Pico's...super prospect got rushed into tough fights and took some lumps but is a better fighter for it.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1839 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:02 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I wouldn't put him anywhere near any of the guys you named. He's got a handful of mma fights only. So I'd expect them to run him out against feeler prospects to get some opportunities to develop and learn. I'd go with a couple of Unranked opponents, a striker then a more comfortable grappler, and then we'd adjust his schedule after we get a feel for where he stands against quality MMA pros.

So what has pereira been doing all this time since he beat Izzy twice? Izzy’s had what seems like two careers already.
POSTING POLICIES:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1840 » by j4remi » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:42 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
j4remi wrote:

So what has pereira been doing all this time since he beat Izzy twice? Izzy’s had what seems like two careers already.

In the same span that Izzy took over the UFC, Perreira stuck with Glory kickboxing and became a two weight-class champion. It would be really epic if they were to meet again at the top of the middleweight division.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Return to New York Knicks