ImageImageImageImage

Josh Robbins talks to scouts - Part 2 - Mo Bamba

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

YosemiteSam
Sixth Man
And1: 784

Josh Robbins talks to scouts - Part 2 - Mo Bamba 

Post#1 » by YosemiteSam » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:31 pm

The first one of these on Cole Anthony was very interesting as it was posted ahead of Summer League, and then we proceeded to see most of what the scouts said come true in his play there.

Round 2 was posted last week on Mo Bamba (I checked and didn't see it linked anywhere else yet)

I will say I was a bit disappointed to see this as the 2nd one as I'm so bored with the Mo Bamba topic - it has been beat to death on here and elsewhere. As you can imagine most of the positive comments were his length and 3 point potential, and the negatives were his motor and health. I chose to highlight some stuff below that wasn't the same crap we always discuss.

I am looking forward to more of these on less discussed players like Hampton, Chuma, and WCJ to see what scouts around the league think about that talent. Would help us to know if we have any desirable trade pieces.

What scouts are saying about Magic center Mo Bamba’s future

But here's some stuff on Bamba:

“He can contest shots,” Scout A said. “I think he changes more shots than he blocks. Defensively, I would say he’s a 6.5 or 7 (out of 10). If he had a better motor, he could be a 9 defensively.”

“I think he’s got some skills that can help, and that translates to what the NBA is becoming,” Scout B said. “He can step out on the perimeter, and he can make some 3s.”

Bamba’s supporters argue that he did not have a clear path to playing time over the last 12 months, if not longer. All-Star Nikola Vucevic was entrenched as the Magic’s starting center until he was traded last March, and Khem Birch seemed to be former coach Steve Clifford’s preferred choice as the primary backup to Vucevic. “I think Mo’s got talent,” Scout B said. “I just think the last regime was just not a fan of his. They weren’t enamored with him, and I think his confidence took a hit.” Bamba’s skeptics typically counter that if Bamba was as talented and as energetic as his draft slot indicated, he should have had no problems earning minutes over Birch and even should have been able to eat into Vucevic’s playing time.

Even Bamba’s shot-blocking numbers are regarded skeptically by three of the four scouts surveyed for this piece. “He blocks shots because of his length, but I don’t think he sees the game quick enough,” Scout C said. “His instincts on the defensive end are not very good. He’s always going to be playing from behind. His length will allow him to at least block shots and look good. But to consistently rely on him when his feel is not great? That’s tough.”

Scout A said. “I think he has potential, and he’s skilled (offensively). But I also think he’s just a perimeter big with no inside presence at all.” The scout added: “It seems to me like he’s a great kid, but it seems like he has no level of energy.”

“I’m not sure if I really believe in the talent, despite the size and the shooting,” Scout C said. “He’ll probably have to find more success with the next team — if he even can find real success. The motor is always going to be a question.” Scout D concurred, saying that barring a breakout season for Bamba in the year ahead, the Magic likely will be best-served to let another team invest a roster spot and developmental resources in Bamba beginning with the 2022-23 season.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Re: Josh Robbins talks to scouts - Part 2 - Mo Bamba 

Post#2 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:50 pm

So basically what most intelligent posters have been saying… low motor, no instinct, no energy, overrated shot blocker…. Like I said two years ago.. Channing Frye…check. Next.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#3 » by basketballRob » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:19 pm

Bamba was showing more signs of an inside presence last season.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,864

Post#4 » by JF5 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:41 pm

Things we've known about...
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,691

Post#5 » by GameOver25 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:51 pm

Scouts A through D provided no insight whatsoever. I'm starting to think Josh Robbins made this stuff up just to drop "something".
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,501

Post#6 » by thelead » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:46 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:So basically what most intelligent posters have been saying… low motor, no instinct, no energy, overrated shot blocker…. Like I said two years ago.. Channing Frye…check. Next.

Confirmation bias is a real thing lol

And we're so good that we can't use a Channing Frye-level player? What's wrong with a solid backup?
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#7 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:47 pm

basketballRob wrote:Bamba was showing more signs of an inside presence last season.

I guess being physically present inside of a building counts as inside presence.
#2A
#Adopt
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#8 » by basketballRob » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:58 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Bamba was showing more signs of an inside presence last season.

I guess being physically present inside of a building counts as inside presence.
He showed some offensive moves down low. Defensively, hopefully Lopez can help him.

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#9 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:21 am

thelead wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:So basically what most intelligent posters have been saying… low motor, no instinct, no energy, overrated shot blocker…. Like I said two years ago.. Channing Frye…check. Next.

Confirmation bias is a real thing lol

And we're so good that we can't use a Channing Frye-level player? What's wrong with a solid backup?

Well, when youre right, youre right…. Some people called him the next Rudy Gobert when He’s closer to Rudy Huxtable.
#2A
#Adopt
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#10 » by pepe1991 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:04 am

... shocking

Liability on both ends, gets beaten off dribble easly on defense, has no mobility to contain guards, even backups, only uses his lenght to bail him out of poor defensive positioning, sometimes works. Against backups. Will never work against elite starters.

On offense shows no desire to play more as rolling big, has no post moves, can't pass from interior anyway, pretty much gimmicky spot up 3s that he hits below league's average.

When you put all together, you have better rebounding version of Thon Maker. Thon is out of nba already.

There is s*** loud of nba players who have nba body just don't have nba skills. Bamba is player who on surface looks how desired nba center should look ( minus skinny legs), but it takes 5-10 games for trained eye to figure his skills ,BBIQ and decision making is simply poor. Just like Bruno Coboclo looked like amazing player. 6'9, 7,7 wingspan, 35 inches vertical, in theory guy could basically touch top of the board. Reality: crappy shooter, terrible ballhandler, mediocre rebounder, not disciplined to stay out of foul troubles. In and out of nba.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#11 » by pepe1991 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:09 am

i finally found it. Bamba's complete inability to face up his opponent , in this case Ayton, post him up, push him out on defense nor simply do anything due complete lack of lower body strenght was on complete display in this workout. Bamba couldn't even get his shot up vs Ayton , let alone score.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,533

Post#12 » by Furinkazan » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:36 am

are they same scouts who basicly positioned him in the lottery?
any of them owning their sht?
89Magicfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 489

Post#13 » by 89Magicfan » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:06 pm

pepe1991 wrote:

i finally found it. Bamba's complete inability to face up his opponent , in this case Ayton, post him up, push him out on defense nor simply do anything due complete lack of lower body strenght was on complete display in this workout. Bamba couldn't even get his shot up vs Ayton , let alone score.

I see a lot of “I don’t give a $&@!” in that clip from him.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,070

Post#14 » by bigdogdylan5 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:12 pm

I do wonder how many teams would rush to give him a second chance. I think it would be a lot… so why don’t we keep him obviously only on a reasonable contract? I feel like there is this crazy hatred because everyone associates no motor with no work ethic and I think that is really misguided assumption. If he is lazy I trust management to make that determination. He isn’t living up to a number 6 pick but o feel we need to get over that anger and make a logical decision. I would rather hang on to him a year too long (when we aren’t even trying to win). Maybe I am really scared by the Oladipo fiasco because I was wrong and wanted us to move him like a lot of people on here
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz takes:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year.
Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 765

Post#15 » by Tarheel » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:31 pm

I feel he'll be a lot more motivated this year. The change from Clifford to Mosley I think will make a big difference for him specifically.

Imagine going from a hard-ass old-fashioned boss who prefers your colleague to you to a new, younger, energetic boss who cares about your personal career development. I know who I'm going to put the work in for.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#16 » by fendilim » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:53 pm

How do you improve motor though?

We’ve known these before. What’s worse is opponents have started putting smaller guys on him because they dont even expect him to go down low
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,028

Post#17 » by The Real Dalic » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:15 pm

I'm going to go at this topic with a more positive mindset than I usually would. I know I tend to be one of his haters, but in a decision I've made during the week of the draft, I'm just going to enjoy the ride. Especially in a year where the only thing that matters is player development.

These scouts are right, he's been what the skeptics have been saying he was. A low motor, low energy player with a bit of an injury history.

However, while that may be what he was, the hope is that under the new regime, he'll finally be able to shine and turn the corner.

Whether you loved or hated Cliff, one thing was for sure, he didn't like Bamba. Warranted or not. He gave him a shorter leash than most and it was pretty clear. That can be a confidence killer.

Under Mosley, he already seems to be a whole new person. He's saying the right things, he's also doing all the right things as well this offseason. Outside of working on those damn twigs he calls legs.

There does seem to be a fire finally starting to light under him. My fear with the sudden change is that he's in a contract year and might be trying to cash-in before reverting back to his old ways. Hopefully it's just a fresh new start with a coach he respects and respects him back.

While he's had some issues in the past, it hasn't been all bad. He's still a decent rebounder, can make the 3 ball, and started showing somewhat of a post game towards the end of the season. Nothing special. But at least it was something we haven't seen from him in previous seasons.

The two main things that can make him a pretty good player, whether that's as a starter or backup is; 1. Improving his energy/effort level. 2. Improving his defensive positioning/awareness. Two things that you can easily teach a young player with good coaching as well as him just looking within himself to do so.

With Bamba specifically, I'm just looking for that consistency in effort. If he improves that, I think we're looking at a decent player at the very least.

Here's hoping that Hampton's and Anthony's infectous energy rubs off on the team. Also, here's hoping that Mosley can finally get the potential that Bamba clearly has out of him.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#18 » by basketballRob » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:23 pm

89Magicfan wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

I see a lot of “I don’t give a $&@!” in that clip from him.
I always think steroids when I see Ayton.

rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#19 » by rcklsscognition » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:59 pm

fendilim wrote:How do you improve motor though?

We’ve known these before. What’s worse is opponents have started putting smaller guys on him because they dont even expect him to go down low

He needs to have a life-changing experience. Get this guy some Ayahuasca or something.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#20 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:36 pm

Tarheel wrote:I feel he'll be a lot more motivated this year. The change from Clifford to Mosley I think will make a big difference for him specifically.

Imagine going from a hard-ass old-fashioned boss who prefers your colleague to you to a new, younger, energetic boss who cares about your personal career development. I know who I'm going to put the work in for.

If anything motivates him it'll be money....or a brain implant because you cant teach someone to permanently change their approach to the game. I mean, I think we all hope for the best but lets be realistic here. Some of you trash talking Cole. I'd take him 10 times out of 10 over Bamba. "His shooting number doe...." :roll: At least he competes.
#2A
#Adopt

Return to Orlando Magic