More Free Agent Talk

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Re: More Free Agent Talk 

Post#461 » by Mob Byers » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:34 pm

Darren would be a steal imo

Sure, it's been 2 years but Im pretty sure he kept working out and stayed in shape. Plus, as mentioned, he was good before he left a few years ago.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Post#462 » by xdrta+ » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:43 pm

Mob Byers wrote:Darren would be a steal imo

Sure, it's been 2 years but Im pretty sure he kept working out and stayed in shape. Plus, as mentioned, he was good before he left a few years ago.

Yeah, he retired at 31 to focus on his Jehovah Witness faith. It was predicted then that as a FA he would get a $10-12 million salary.
Brick Layer
Junior
And1: 116

Post#463 » by Brick Layer » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:36 pm

2 years away from being in the NBA is like an eternity. Might be better off saving the roster spot for a mid-season buyout candidate
osx28
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#464 » by osx28 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:52 pm

Brick Layer wrote:2 years away from being in the NBA is like an eternity. Might be better off saving the roster spot for a mid-season buyout candidate

Not that many buyout candidate pg out there though. From a quick look, I think Rubio and Dragic are the only potneitial candidates if their teams are bad enough. Perhaps some other, but from the future FAs of 22 and 23, that could potentially be bought out, only John wall is another potential PG buyout, but I doubt he'd come to be a backup with us.

I'd take a flyer on Collison, he was pretty decent back in the day. If he can get to 80% of what he was by mid season, it'll be worth the roster spot imo.
Brick Layer
Junior
And1: 116

Post#465 » by Brick Layer » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:28 am

osx28 wrote:
Brick Layer wrote:2 years away from being in the NBA is like an eternity. Might be better off saving the roster spot for a mid-season buyout candidate

Not that many buyout candidate pg out there though. From a quick look, I think Rubio and Dragic are the only potneitial candidates if their teams are bad enough. Perhaps some other, but from the future FAs of 22 and 23, that could potentially be bought out, only John wall is another potential PG buyout, but I doubt he'd come to be a backup with us.

I'd take a flyer on Collison, he was pretty decent back in the day. If he can get to 80% of what he was by mid season, it'll be worth the roster spot imo.

The Warriors will probably only offer Collison a non-guaranteed contract. GSW is already looking at payroll and tax that totals $370 million. The repeater tax situation will cost the Warriors $12 million in salary and tax for a minimum contract. If a desirable buyout candidate becomes available, cutting a minimum contract to create a roster spot and adding another minimum salary would cost the Warriors $24-25 million for a bench player. So any player the Warriors sign must provide great value for the money spent.
bay2hk
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#466 » by bay2hk » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:09 am

Didn’t collison work out for the lakers? Lakers not signing them says a lot. GP2 is also out if we sign collison.
osx28
Sophomore

Post#467 » by osx28 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:07 pm

Brick Layer wrote:
osx28 wrote:

The Warriors will probably only offer Collison a non-guaranteed contract. GSW is already looking at payroll and tax that totals $370 million. The repeater tax situation will cost the Warriors $12 million in salary and tax for a minimum contract. If a desirable buyout candidate becomes available, cutting a minimum contract to create a roster spot and adding another minimum salary would cost the Warriors $24-25 million for a bench player. So any player the Warriors sign must provide great value for the money spent.

I hope he's ok with that, he's probably the best (or least worst) option for a 15th roster spot right now. There might be other options later, but at this time I don't see any, especially at PG.
bay2hk wrote:Didn’t collison work out for the lakers? Lakers not signing them says a lot. GP2 is also out if we sign collison.

Lakers might have had an inkling that Rondo would be available, definitely worth waiting for him over someone who hasn't played in 2 years.

I'd take Collison over GP2 anytime, miles better shooter and passer, better FT shooter too. I'm not sure GP2's defense makes up for all those other deficiencies, especially since Collison was pretty good defender, if he can get back to that, then there really isn't any massive advantage for GP2 imo
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#468 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:31 pm

bay2hk wrote:Didn’t collison work out for the lakers? Lakers not signing them says a lot. GP2 is also out if we sign collison.

Not assuming Rondo signs with them. Despite it feeling like it the Lakers don't have an infinite roster.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#469 » by watch1958 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:21 pm

I wouldn't dismiss Collison because of the 2 years. Klay's been out for two years too, plus 2 serious injuries. With Collison it is a mental/desire thing.

If I was convinced he really was ready to play and committed to this I would take him in an instant, and he'd be way better than 15th on this team.

In my opinion, the only problem with DC is that he always wanted to be a fulltime point guard. He really never should have been. The ideal role for him would always have been "best backup point in basketball". Maybe he has finally realized it.

Career .394 on 3s, and he was over .40 each of his last 4 seasons. That included .468 one year. Career .485 on corner 3s.

2.5 ATO ratio. TS% .57 or better each of the last 7 seasons he played.

If he is ready to play you snatch him up.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#470 » by ChuckDurn » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:37 pm

watch1958 wrote:I wouldn't dismiss Collison because of the 2 years. Klay's been out for two years too, plus 2 serious injuries. With Collison it is a mental/desire thing.

If I was convinced he really was ready to play and committed to this I would take him in an instant, and he'd be way better than 15th on this team.

In my opinion, the only problem with DC is that he always wanted to be a fulltime point guard. He really never should have been. The ideal role for him would always have been "best backup point in basketball". Maybe he has finally realized it.

Career .394 on 3s, and he was over .40 each of his last 4 seasons. That included .468 one year. Career .485 on corner 3s.

I agree with this. If he looks good in his workout, and is willing to accept the role (and there's zero ambiguity about what it would be with the Warriors), he's easily the best option I've seen for the 15th spot. We don't need another big such as Millsap or a bought-out Love, we need another guard who can create and hopefully shoot, and Collison provides both of those.

EDIT (added later): I also think signing Collison has a huge beneficial impact on "what is the backcourt rotation before Klay returns". To me it becomes really clear: you'd start Poole next to Curry, and have Collison and Lee be the main bench guys (with a little bit of Moody at the 2). Any need to have Poole come off the bench (so that there's a backcourt creator to take over when Curry sits) would be diminished, so you end up with your 2 best backcourt players (Curry and Poole) getting "maximum minutes" rather than having to worry about "fit" in such a way that might reduce Poole's minutes. And when Klay comes back and his minutes start increasing, Lee's minutes would likely get phased out entirely. (And while that's not popular, it then becomes obvious that he would become the roster casualty if somebody becomes available mid-year via a buyout.)
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,578

Post#471 » by parsnips33 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:16 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
watch1958 wrote:I wouldn't dismiss Collison because of the 2 years. Klay's been out for two years too, plus 2 serious injuries. With Collison it is a mental/desire thing.

I agree with this. If he looks good in his workout, and is willing to accept the role (and there's zero ambiguity about what it would be with the Warriors), he's easily the best option I've seen for the 15th spot. We don't need another big such as Millsap or a bought-out Love, we need another guard who can create and hopefully shoot, and Collison provides both of those.

EDIT (added later): I also think signing Collison has a huge beneficial impact on "what is the backcourt rotation before Klay returns". To me it becomes really clear: you'd start Poole next to Curry, and have Collison and Lee be the main bench guys (with a little bit of Moody at the 2). Any need to have Poole come off the bench (so that there's a backcourt creator to take over when Curry sits) would be diminished, so you end up with your 2 best backcourt players (Curry and Poole) getting "maximum minutes" rather than having to worry about "fit" in such a way that might reduce Poole's minutes. And when Klay comes back and his minutes start increasing, Lee's minutes would likely get phased out entirely. (And while that's not popular, it then becomes obvious that he would become the roster casualty if somebody becomes available mid-year via a buyout.)

Absolutely. The more minutes we can get with Poole and Steph out there together (especially before Klay is back) the better. Who knows what DC will look like after 2 years off, but if he looks good in workouts why not
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#472 » by xdrta+ » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:23 pm

I wonder if he's willing to sign for the minimum. If the Warriors have to dip into the mle it gets very expensive tax-wise.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#473 » by FNQ » Wed Sep 1, 2021 10:27 pm

Apparently we either released McLaughlin or we never signed him a 2way contract, because he just signed one with Dallas

No tears on that one, he's an undersized combo guard with a suspect shot/ability to score and minimal defense. But it opens up a 2 way slot, now that Cheezus is the only 2-way contract we have
osx28
Sophomore

Post#474 » by osx28 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 12:22 am

FNQ wrote:Apparently we either released McLaughlin or we never signed him a 2way contract, because he just signed one with Dallas

No tears on that one, he's an undersized combo guard with a suspect shot/ability to score and minimal defense. But it opens up a 2 way slot, now that Cheezus is the only 2-way contract we have

Marquese is to old for a 2-way right? Why do we still have Mulder on the roster btw? I feel like we need 2 roster spots, one for a guard maybe DC and one for some big man help like Chriss. With Lee on the roster we don't need another third string guard
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#475 » by ChuckDurn » Thu Sep 2, 2021 1:58 am

FNQ wrote:Apparently we either released McLaughlin or we never signed him a 2way contract, because he just signed one with Dallas

We had offered McLaughlin an Exhibit 10 contract (which basically guaranteed that he’d get to training camp but would then go to the G-League, and it seemed he had signed it, but apparently he hadn’t. So he was actually free to sign with the Mavericks.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#476 » by watch1958 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 10:21 am

I’d love to have Collison, but…

As I said before, the problem with DC is that he wanted to be a full timer. Maybe that has changed, and he’d accept being a big minute sub.

OTOH, maybe this is a smokescreen to get an offer that he can wave in front of the Clips.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#477 » by HiRez » Thu Sep 2, 2021 8:51 pm

Millsap to Nets so that's off the table anyway.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#478 » by Old_Blue » Thu Sep 2, 2021 9:45 pm

HiRez wrote:Millsap to Nets so that's off the table anyway.

LaMarcus is rejoining the Nets as well. KD is leaving no stone unturned. If the Nets don't win it all this year, it'll be an epic fail.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#479 » by shazam_guy » Thu Sep 2, 2021 9:45 pm

After watching all the summer league games, I really don't have much faith in GP2 as a playmaker. He's not really much of a passer, and we all know about his shooting problems. If he was Draymond-style player -- non-shooter but excellent facilitator -- then maybe, but he doesn't really make much happen on offense. I don't think defense alone is enough to make up for that. Backup PGs will be playing with guys like Moody, Poole, Lee, Kuminga, and maybe Jessup one day, and needs to be able to set them up. I don't think we'd even be talking about Payton if he hadn't made a couple of spectacular dunks in SL.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#480 » by xdrta+ » Thu Sep 2, 2021 9:48 pm

Via Hoopsrumors:

"Darren Collison is scrimmaging with some Warriors players as he auditions for a spot on the team, writes Anthony Slater of The Athletic. The free agent guard visited the team facility Wednesday and today for workouts, which have included Stephen Curry and Jordan Poole."

Return to Golden State Warriors