ImageImageImage

Ricky Rubio sounds excited to be a Cav! (not really)

Moderator: ijspeelman

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Ricky Rubio sounds excited to be a Cav! (not really) 

Post#1 » by JonFromVA » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:48 pm

It's been a few weeks since the trade, and finally we hear something from Ricky:

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/1241952/ricky-rubio-talks-trades-nba-free-agency/

“I am a little tired,” he admitted regarding being traded for the third time in the last ten months, “Ultimately, every player like me prefers stability, especially now with my family also needing stability.”

“It will be difficult at first, but I hope I can adapt as I have in other teams.” he mentioned previewing Cleveland, “I am looking forward to seeing what my role will be there.”
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Re: Ricky Rubio sounds excited to be a Cav! (not really) 

Post#2 » by FranchisePlayer » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:37 pm

He should be... Getting shipped out from the Timberwolves. A dream for every Wolves' player.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,027

Post#3 » by mg » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:04 pm

Unfortunately for him he just has a real tradeable contract.
I thought he was a good fit in both Utah and Phoenix but they both ultimately upgraded the position with Conley and CP3. I still don't understand why Minnesota reacquired Rubio just to trade him away after just one season.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#4 » by JonFromVA » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:56 pm

mg wrote:Unfortunately for him he just has a real tradeable contract.
I thought he was a good fit in both Utah and Phoenix but they both ultimately upgraded the position with Conley and CP3. I still don't understand why Minnesota reacquired Rubio just to trade him away after just one season.

He supposedly wasn't in a "good place" dealing with Covid in Minnesota. Maybe the TWolves judged that wasn't going to change?

But the Cavs being the Cavs likely saw an opportunity to turn a $12M expiring contract in to a $17M expiring and jumped on it with the hope he'd at least be professional enough to give us some decent backup minutes to increase interest in another team trading for him.

Rubio's value should have increased after the Olympics. The Cavs may already be looking to flip him in a one for one deal, but will have to wait another month to trade him in a package.

Makes a lot of sense given Rubio's mood and the fact the Cavs have had more to say officially about the signing of Sidney Lowe as an assistant coach than they did about Ricky.

Press conference? Zoom call introduction? Discussions about role and fit? Extension talks?

Nope, none of that stuff.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,650

Post#5 » by toooskies » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:20 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

He supposedly wasn't in a "good place" dealing with Covid in Minnesota. Maybe the TWolves judged that wasn't going to change?

But the Cavs being the Cavs likely saw an opportunity to turn a $12M expiring contract in to a $17M expiring and jumped on it with the hope he'd at least be professional enough to give us some decent backup minutes to increase interest in another team trading for him.

Rubio's value should have increased after the Olympics. The Cavs may already be looking to flip him in a one for one deal, but will have to wait another month to trade him in a package.

Makes a lot of sense given Rubio's mood and the fact the Cavs have had more to say officially about the signing of Sidney Lowe as an assistant coach than they did about Ricky.

Press conference? Zoom call introduction? Discussions about role and fit? Extension talks?

Yeah, I was just speculating in a T&T thread that if the Cavs want to deal Sexton, Rubio's salary is a good filler for the other team to get Sexton now and then give him a raise next season, while also getting a good player out of it. Although that leaves the Cavs pretty thin at PG.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#6 » by JonFromVA » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:29 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Yeah, I was just speculating in a T&T thread that if the Cavs want to deal Sexton, Rubio's salary is a good filler for the other team to get Sexton now and then give him a raise next season, while also getting a good player out of it. Although that leaves the Cavs pretty thin at PG.

Yep, I was kind of hoping we'd have a viable backup PG at least up to the trade deadline this season. :roll:
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,545

Post#7 » by PaKii94 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 8:04 pm

Anyway Sexton can be packaged for Ben Simmons?
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#8 » by JonFromVA » Thu Sep 2, 2021 9:11 pm

PaKii94 wrote:Anyway Sexton can be packaged for Ben Simmons?

It depends how bad the offers for Simmons get because Philly is trying to win now and would likely prefer a more accomplished and better playmaker than Collin or even Darius. Kevin Love would on paper look nice with Embiid in terms of spacing, but most people see him as negative value in a deal.

From the Cavs point of view, it's certainly something to consider to accelerate their rebuild, but adding a non-shooter to this roster only makes our current floor spacing problems worse; not to mention Ben's huge salary after his 15% trade kicker, and all the problems that have got the Sixers to this spot.

But hey, maybe Dan Gilbert stays up at night dreaming of how his favorite Piston's team used to win games 72-68? The Cavs might just approach the modern version of that with a lineup of Garland-Okoro-Simmons-Mobley-Allen.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#9 » by DroseReturnChi » Fri Sep 3, 2021 7:20 am

sexton, love, picks for simmons book it.

garland, simmons, lauri, allen, mobley is the lineup.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,650

Post#10 » by toooskies » Fri Sep 3, 2021 1:22 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:

I don't see any way that Sexton goes with Love to a contender who's destined for the tax, you're looking at $50m-$60m in year 2 from the $38m in year 1. Love needs rerouting to somewhere else (Orlando?) with a significant amount of expiring going to Philly (Gary Harris?) to make the books work out. Or it's Sexton + Rubio + Osman. Or It's Garland + Love. Or it's Sexton + Rubio + Markkanen after Dec 15.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,123

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:27 pm

toooskies wrote:
DroseReturnChi wrote:

I don't see any way that Sexton goes with Love to a contender who's destined for the tax, you're looking at $50m-$60m in year 2 from the $38m in year 1. Love needs rerouting to somewhere else (Orlando?) with a significant amount of expiring going to Philly (Gary Harris?) to make the books work out. Or it's Sexton + Rubio + Osman. Or It's Garland + Love. Or it's Sexton + Rubio + Markkanen after Dec 15.
It's only one year. But there are ways to deal with that issue like attaching a first to Love and moving him to a third team for other pieces. The Cavs have no business trading for Simmons unless Love is going out.

They really can't keep Sexton and trade for Simmons either. Otherwise, they'll be the team deep into the tax next year. Plus, Garland is the better floor spacer. I think you also need Lauri for spacing if you're trading for Simmons.

It's just not workable without Love heading out, if that means Simmons ends up elsewhere, so be it. We don't have enough win-now guys to be shipping out two or three of them. I'm not even 100% sold on Simmons on a max deal tbh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers