Moderator: ijspeelman

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#81 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:39 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:I’m just responding to the Durant comment and tempering some expectations.

I have no problem with Mobley playing some time at the 3. Don’t really care that he’d be a defensive sieve there. I’d play him there just so he doesn’t get constantly leaned on and beat up and injured.

I'm just not convinced there even was a Durant comment to temper. If there's anything to temper it's jbk1234's thought that Mobley is best used as a back to the basket player. IMO, we should protect Evan physically and find out what the upper-limits are of his skill level are by trying him in different roles. Just because some people say he's a C doesn't mean he is a C. He wasn't even used as a C at USC, and I wouldn't let how he was used there limit how we try to develop him.
Obviously the Cavs are going to do whatever they're going to do, I just think that bringing him of the bench at PF, at least until he adjusts to speed of the NBA, is the better plan than starting him day 1 at a position he's never played.

But nobody has suggested starting Mobley day 1 at a position he's never played ...
Northman
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#82 » by Northman » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:48 pm

Just chill.. I know Lauri. He´ll ball fine with Cavs and you´ll love his effort for his new team and fans. Way better than I did in few days ago in his home court in Jyväskylä, Finland :D
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,527

Post#83 » by DuckIII » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:04 pm

Lauri is a better player than he showed in his last 2 years with the Bulls. Having watched him for 4 years I no longer think his ceiling is high, but he can still be better than he has been.

The one warning I’ll give you is if he’s not playing well and you are getting frustrated, some (not all) of his fans will end up hating every player, coach and administrator with Cavs as they cycle through attributing blame towards anyone but Lauri himself. I hope you are spared that experience.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Louri
Senior
And1: 351

Post#84 » by Louri » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:20 pm

DuckIII wrote:Lauri is a better player than he showed in his last 2 years with the Bulls. Having watched him for 4 years I no longer think his ceiling is high, but he can still be better than he has been.

The one warning I’ll give you is if he’s not playing well and you are getting frustrated, some (not all) of his fans will end up hating every player, coach and administrator with Cavs as they cycle through attributing blame towards anyone but Lauri himself. I hope you are spared that experience.

:crazy:
"Larry Nance Jr is better than Lauri Markkanen" -RealGM 2021
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#85 » by PaKii94 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:29 pm

DuckIII wrote:Lauri is a better player than he showed in his last 2 years with the Bulls. Having watched him for 4 years I no longer think his ceiling is high, but he can still be better than he has been.

Man they were valid complaints up until last year. And most of the complaints were get actual damn PG. We went from jerian grant to Kris Dunn to Zach Lavine to Coby white. Literally negative PGs besides Jerian and he was the definition of mediocre safe zero impact PG play.

And even then freaking WCJ was prioritized above him ( :banghead: )
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,084

Post#86 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:39 pm

We're familiar with said dynamic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Neonblazer
Sophomore
And1: 88

Post#87 » by Neonblazer » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:00 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

I can give you a warning too. The Bulls fans will come here too because they just cant move on from Lauri fans.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#88 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:45 pm

We're well practiced with arguing the same points over and over for years while hoping these young men figure out how to win :)

Some new opinions on the subjects we keep beating to death would be welcome.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,023

Post#89 » by mg » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:36 pm

So does this dude have a nickname or are we just stuck calling him Lauri?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,084

Post#90 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:38 pm

mg wrote:So does this dude have a nickname or are we just stuck calling him Lauri?

Well, if can win more than 20 games this season and he hits some late shots, we can call him the Finish Finisher (and yes I hated that almost as soon as typed it).
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#91 » by PaKii94 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:35 am

mg wrote:So does this dude have a nickname or are we just stuck calling him Lauri?

He's got a few:
The main one is "The Finnisher"
His rookie year when he looked like a big wing there was "Lauri Legend"

My favorite for when he did have a blow up game (unfortunately not many last two years) "the Big Ass Shotgun" :lol:

I ain't never had time for no arguments
Big ass shotgun, look like Lauri Markkanen
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#92 » by PaKii94 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:30 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I think that's very fair value for Lauri. That money is solid if he keeps his production from last year and can become a steal if he blossoms
TallDude
Junior
And1: 140

Post#93 » by TallDude » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:00 am

PaKii94 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I think that's very fair value for Lauri. That money is solid if he keeps his production from last year and can become a steal if he blossoms

Lauri just want to be same Lauri as he was before they start to make him "better". He said he dont take anymore bad advices to his game and will be more selfish in good way. He is a scorer so he must do scoring. His offence must be + wise to his defence. I bet that Lauri is solid defender this year. He still will learn a lot. Everything what happended him was so fast. Finnish 2nd division. 1 year at Arizona and then Bulls starting PF. + European Champs. All that in few years.I was partly glad when Portis punch Nico to give Lauri more playing time what he used well but in long term i think that was negative impact. He should have earn his spot. But it was not Lauri´s fault. They did not have better option then. Anyway i dont know much about city of Cleveland but i can promise i will watch a lot of Cavaliers games.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#94 » by JonFromVA » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:00 pm

Given we've heard so much from players in the past years about what a raw deal they have that teams show them no loyalty .. hey ... be like Larry Nance with an open and sincere desire to do right for your team and city and the team and city will return the love.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2021/08/larry-nance-jr-cleveland-will-always-be-home-for-the-nances-its-in-our-blood.html
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#95 » by FranchisePlayer » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:10 pm

Louri wrote:

:crazy:

Yeah, such a kindly offered warning with no pettiness involved...
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#96 » by FranchisePlayer » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:21 pm

Neonblazer wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I can give you a warning too. The Bulls fans will come here too because they just cant move on from Lauri fans.

Preach!

First they were screaming how allegedly Lauri fans kill the Bulls' board, then some of them start updating there what Lauri fans keep posting here and now they come here to spread their "truth".
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#97 » by FranchisePlayer » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:25 pm

In his rookie year The Markksman was pretty popular but for a reason it kind of lost to The Finnisher.

But hey, feel free to suggest something new!

12/2/2022
Neonblazer
Sophomore
And1: 88

Post#98 » by Neonblazer » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:18 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Given we've heard so much from players in the past years about what a raw deal they have that teams show them no loyalty .. hey ... be like Larry Nance with an open and sincere desire to do right for your team and city and the team and city will return the love.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2021/08/larry-nance-jr-cleveland-will-always-be-home-for-the-nances-its-in-our-blood.html

Jim Boylen was the biggest problem Lauri had in Chicago. I dont know if some Bulls fans are suffering from Stockholm syndrome and that's why they didn't see how bad of coach he was. The problem wasn't that he was bad in Chicago, the problem was that he shouldn't have been a coach in nba.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,208

Post#99 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Sep 2, 2021 1:29 am

Neonblazer wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:Given we've heard so much from players in the past years about what a raw deal they have that teams show them no loyalty .. hey ... be like Larry Nance with an open and sincere desire to do right for your team and city and the team and city will return the love.

Jim Boylen was the biggest problem Lauri had in Chicago. I dont know if some Bulls fans are suffering from Stockholm syndrome and that's why they didn't see how bad of coach he was. The problem wasn't that he was bad in Chicago, the problem was that he shouldn't have been a coach in nba.

Boylen was awful without a doubt. I think the injuries really hurt his development and expectations. He was expected to be a franchise savior which was unrealistic, and it was all boom/bust. There is a wide margin from not living up to expectations and being a bust, and Lauri is a good player. He may not be a top 15 player but that was the hopes of Chicago fandom when drafted and his rookie season. On the Cavs I think he has a nice fit and different expectations and I expect him to do well. RoLo really helped his game too, they were a good pairing and I think the Cavs front court is a good pairing for him too at least theoretically.
GrowingHorns
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#100 » by GrowingHorns » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:42 pm

I can say that I am done with being one of those too stubborn Lauri fans that I, ahem, at times were in BullsGM. One of the reasons were I was first MJ-PIP-Kukoc-Rodman era Bulls admirer, then Lauri fan, and the crumbling of the dream marriage was sometimes so hard for me.

Now I have to start liking Cavs more I ever did, bc this is now my no2 team and I will try be fair and polite, as mostly I am.

About Lauri I would say if he gets his speed and mobility and handles better, his ceiling might be one, two time all-star bc it probably means he increases points made of cuts and transition offenses and be more valuable as a tall perimeter defender, but i wouldn't bet on ASG to happen.

I see his biggest flaw outside his skill development is mental things. He looked to think a bit less in the start of his career that made him a little bit less predictable. If he can get back playing with his instincts and improve the holes in his skillset he will have a fighters chance to at least once enter ASG. His floor is pretty high, so the contract will be reasonable thru the length of it.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers