ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#381 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:19 pm

GunnerWRX wrote:Poole has a fit problem, wtf? Poole is the best "fit" backup since Kerr became the head coach. None of our backup guards moved off-ball like Steph and Klay - one of the reasons our bench offense stalled when Steph sat over the years.

Kerr tried to play Klay with the bench when Steph sat, which helped a bit. When KD was here, there wasn't a problem with offence because, well, we had Steph and KD.

Poole is the first backup guard who plays off-ball like Steph and Klay do, so we can play the same way and don't need to have Wanamaker etc to play guard in our motion offense.

Poole looks like a fit problem if you think of him as a tweener Point guard and shooting guard.

I just think of him as a shooting guard. As that, he's a perfect backup.

If Warriors try and make him Curry's back up point guard I think it's a mistake. To flourish Poole needs to focus on being the best offensive talent he can be without trying to figure out how to feed rookies etc....
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#382 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:32 am

ILOVEIT wrote:
GunnerWRX wrote:Poole has a fit problem, wtf? Poole is the best "fit" backup since Kerr became the head coach. None of our backup guards moved off-ball like Steph and Klay - one of the reasons our bench offense stalled when Steph sat over the years.

Kerr tried to play Klay with the bench when Steph sat, which helped a bit. When KD was here, there wasn't a problem with offence because, well, we had Steph and KD.

Poole is the first backup guard who plays off-ball like Steph and Klay do, so we can play the same way and don't need to have Wanamaker etc to play guard in our motion offense.

Poole looks like a fit problem if you think of him as a tweener Point guard and shooting guard.

If Warriors try and make him Curry's back up point guard I think it's a mistake. To flourish Poole needs to focus on being the best offensive talent he can be without trying to figure out how to feed rookies etc....

Curry is a bit of a tweener too. He plays without the ball so much he spends more time being a tradition SG than a PG.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,720

Post#383 » by floppymoose » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:38 am

Curry has invented a whole new position: the designated double team at the hash.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,290

Post#384 » by GunnerWRX » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:39 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:

Curry is a bit of a tweener too. He plays without the ball so much he spends more time being a tradition SG than a PG.

The term PG is overrated for our team. Even Steph doesn't do much traditional "PG stuff". Once the ball crosses half court, Draymond and sometimes JTA initiated our offense last season. Iguodala will do the same this season if he is healthy.

IMHO, I cannot get why some still kills themselves thinking about PG / backup PG / Poole isn't a PG that type of stuff. That's what got us into the Wanamaker-type backup PG infinite loop.

Since the offense is initiated through Draymond/JTA/Iguodala, it actually helps us if we can play the following 1-2-3 when Steph sits, which gives us a bigger backcourt.

Poole/Wiggins/Iguodala
Poole/Klay/Iguodala
Poole/Moody/Iguodala
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,074

Post#385 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:00 am

I guess you think of Poole as a backup and I think of him as being one of the five best guys on the roster.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#386 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:03 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:
GunnerWRX wrote:Mitchell is already 22. Kuminga has 4 years to learn before he is 22. No guarantee that he won't be a bust, but a 4 year difference is quite a lot especially for an athlete from 18 to 22.

Absolutely - that's what I mean by taking a flier on potential. Kuminga has crazy tools, but you just don't know what you will get out of them. Is he Giannis Antetokounmpo or Anthony Randolph? I would feel better about the pick if reports were that Kuminga was raw but he's working harder than anyone in the building, instead of he has great tools but seems disinterested.

Regardless of what you read, Kuminga is so talented and showed so much in Vegas it's worth seeing what we have with him at least until the trade deadline, don't you think?

I'm not trying to trade Kuminga, I just see some red flags and think he's a risky pick.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#387 » by HiRez » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:22 am

Twinkie defense wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:Absolutely - that's what I mean by taking a flier on potential. Kuminga has crazy tools, but you just don't know what you will get out of them. Is he Giannis Antetokounmpo or Anthony Randolph? I would feel better about the pick if reports were that Kuminga was raw but he's working harder than anyone in the building, instead of he has great tools but seems disinterested.

Regardless of what you read, Kuminga is so talented and showed so much in Vegas it's worth seeing what we have with him at least until the trade deadline, don't you think?

I'm not trying to trade Kuminga, I just see some red flags and think he's a risky pick.

What player available at #7 wasn't risky though? Wagner, Mitchell, Williams, Bouknight, Primo, Duarte, Kispert, Sengun, Murphy? All have risks. Moody slightly less risky but well, we got him anyway.

If the Warriors had let's say the #3 or #4 pick and took Kuminga, I think you could make a good case they took a huge risk but given the context of this draft and the players available, I think it was the right call. Basically, Kuminga wasn't much more risky than the other guys available at #7 but had considerably more upside. And having the #14 pick in their pocket allowed them to target the "safer" player there.

Giddey at #6, now that's a risk. Kuminga at #7 not so much IMO.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,290

Post#388 » by GunnerWRX » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:49 am

Twinkie defense wrote:

I guess you think of Poole as a backup and I think of him as being one of the five best guys on the roster.

I like Poole a lot too. A backup guard can still be a top 5 player on our team with Steph and Klay. No conflict there. Just look at 2014-2019 Iguodala.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#389 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:44 am

HiRez wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:

What player available at #7 wasn't risky though? Wagner, Mitchell, Williams, Bouknight, Primo, Duarte, Kispert, Sengun, Murphy? All have risks. Moody slightly less risky but well, we got him anyway.

If the Warriors had let's say the #3 or #4 pick and took Kuminga, I think you could make a good case they took a huge risk but given the context of this draft and the players available, I think it was the right call. Basically, Kuminga wasn't much more risky than the other guys available at #7 but had considerably more upside. And having the #14 pick in their pocket allowed them to target the "safer" player there.

I look at it as low risk if a player has put success on tape and is known to be a competitor and hard worker. The risk comes in when you have a guy with natural ability or athleticism and every coach thinks he's the one who will finally maximize that potential.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#390 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:30 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:
HiRez wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:I'm not trying to trade Kuminga, I just see some red flags and think he's a risky pick.

I look at it as low risk if a player has put success on tape and is known to be a competitor and hard worker. The risk comes in when you have a guy with natural ability or athleticism and every coach thinks he's the one who will finally maximize that potential.

Do you think there is a line of coaches who have failed to maximize Kuminga?
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,117

Post#391 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:58 pm

Friendly reminder: Kuminga is still 18 years old.

Think of yourself at that age, remember how mature you were then.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#392 » by clyde21 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:56 pm

lmao @ people still talking about Mitchell...how anyone watched a 23 year old 6ft PG that shot 42% from the field in the SL while shooting 28% from the FT line and still thought, 'hey, maybe we should've taken this guy 7th overall' is mind bending

glad some of u are nowhere near the decision making process for this team
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#393 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:28 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:
HiRez wrote:What player available at #7 wasn't risky though? Wagner, Mitchell, Williams, Bouknight, Primo, Duarte, Kispert, Sengun, Murphy? All have risks. Moody slightly less risky but well, we got him anyway.

Do you think there is a line of coaches who have failed to maximize Kuminga?

No I'm saying as long as there are athletic guys with great measurables and a shortage of winning tape, there are coaches who think they will be the ones to create that winning tape. Tape don't lie though.

In this way, Davion Mitchell is kind of a mirror image of Kuminga. He's done nothing but win, nothing but show what he can do on the court, but he still gets downgraded because he's "too small." Measurables over proof of talent. Give me the winning, the proof of talent on game tape, over raw athleticism, height, and other measurables that have been divorced from success on the court.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#394 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:31 pm

clyde21 wrote:lmao @ people still talking about Mitchell...how anyone watched a 23 year old 6ft PG that shot 42% from the field in the SL while shooting 28% from the FT line and still thought, 'hey, maybe we should've taken this guy 7th overall' is mind bending

Davion Mitchell has at least one elite NBA skill. I'm not sure Kuminga has any elite NBA skill right now - the bet is that he will become elite. Maybe he will, my point is that's a risky bet.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#395 » by clyde21 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:39 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:
clyde21 wrote:lmao @ people still talking about Mitchell...how anyone watched a 23 year old 6ft PG that shot 42% from the field in the SL while shooting 28% from the FT line and still thought, 'hey, maybe we should've taken this guy 7th overall' is mind bending

Davion Mitchell has at least one elite NBA skill. I'm not sure Kuminga has any elite NBA skill right now - the bet is that he will become elite. Maybe he will, my point is that's a risky bet.

you know what else is risky? possibly passing up elite blue chip young talent for a 23 year old 6-foot PG that can't shoot FTs.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#396 » by and1GS » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:45 pm

Yeah I don't get the whole 'draft for immediate impact' thing if you're in the top 10. Always swing for the fences because the prospect ceiling lowers the deeper you get into the draft.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#397 » by wco81 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:11 pm

I hope he's been taking a lot of jumpers since the end of SL.

That will be a key part of how much he could contribute. If the teams don't have to defend his jumper, that takes away his attacking the rim game, not to mention cause spacing problems.

I would think expectations of how he would contribute as a rookie would be modest, be an energy guy off the bench, do some rim runs and run out on fast breaks.

If he showed a reliable shot, he'd get more minutes. He'd also have to get coached up to rotate on defense to contest shots in the restricted area, be engaged on defense.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#398 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:27 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:

you know what else is risky? possibly passing up elite blue chip young talent for a 23 year old 6-foot PG that can't shoot FTs.

He's a career 66% free throw shooter. But I guess a few summer league games are more indicative for you?

Ben Simmons is a career .597 free throw shooter and I would trade Kuminga for him today if we could.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#399 » by clyde21 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:30 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:Davion Mitchell has at least one elite NBA skill. I'm not sure Kuminga has any elite NBA skill right now - the bet is that he will become elite. Maybe he will, my point is that's a risky bet.

He's a career 66% free throw shooter. But I guess a few summer league games are more indicative for you?

Ben Simmons is a career .597 free throw shooter and I would trade Kuminga for him today if we could.

lol...66% career FT supposed to be a good thing for a small guard?
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#400 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:33 pm

and1GS wrote:Yeah I don't get the whole 'draft for immediate impact' thing if you're in the top 10. Always swing for the fences because the prospect ceiling lowers the deeper you get into the draft.

That's why over the history of the League so many seven-footers who can't play have been drafted ahead of guards and wings who were ballers. I don't like it - show me the tape.

But I'm not really talking about immediate impact, I'm talking about proven talent vs. high ceiling with some question marks. Maybe the draft gurus are wrong. Maybe Kuminga will prove them wrong. But one thing that's a red flag for me is doesn't try hard, disinterested. Gimme a less naturally gifted Draymond Green type player who has a track of winning and who hates to lose, every day.

Return to Golden State Warriors