ImageImageImageImageImage

RJ Barrett entering year 3

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,233

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#101 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Sep 1, 2021 1:31 pm

That side step 3 was nice.

Love to use the side step myself, except I'm everything I don't like in an NBA player, a midrange artist who builds brick houses.

I expect RJ to play the right way as he always has (not counting his rookie year under Fiz), but I don't see RJ deferring to Randle AND Rose AND Kemba AND Fournier. Not to start the year at least. I expect him to be aggressive with the expanded skill set, as he should be.

Biggest thing for me is the finishing at the rim, and going back to the free throw line more often. I hope to see better efficiency, with some moments of (successful) shot creation.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,754

Post#102 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Sep 1, 2021 1:56 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
F N 11 wrote:
Jonathan2347 wrote:I'm betting on this

Randle 20 ppg
RJ 20 ppg
Fournier 15 ppg
Kemba 15 ppg
Rose 10 ppg
Quickley 8 ppg
Burks 8 ppg
Mitch 8 ppg
Toppin 7 ppg

Thats 111 per game... I agree someone taking a massive production cut in points. Whom ?

Sent from my SM-G996U using RealGM mobile app

Kemba still has juice. He will be top 3 scoring. Fournier was brought in to shoot 46% from 3 like he did in Boston and to score when everyone else is off. Not to be a main guy.

Randle
Rj
kemba

Will be our top scorers.

Probably this. Fournier is a good scorer though.

Here's what I like about the lineup for RJ.

Let me state that I get college is not the NBA etc, and I know some of the reasons for RJ's success there etc.

RJ played well at Duke when he was surrounded by talent, they could push the pace some, and there were 4 players on the court who were plus passers who could all create. RJ, Zion, Cam and their PG whose name I forget - my memory sucks.
RJ is a willing passer, but he also does well when the ball moves and the defense is a little off balance. Gives him that fraction of a second more space, which is all he needs.

Fournier is a scorer who can create and should be considered a plus passer from SG or SF.
RJ is a plus passer from SG or SF.
Randle is absolutely a plus passer from PF.
Kemba or Rose are PG's, so their passing is good.
Off the bench, Burks creates, scores and passes.
IQ, less of a plus passer. but willing enough.

I'll assume as a Thibs coached team that the defense will get enough stops that this team can get out in transition more than last year and Kemba and Fournier should help that

The ball should move, their are multiple players who can attack yet pass, and there is a decent number of good shooters.

RJ is going to thrive in this offense.

RJ is so young with plenty of upside ahead of him. He started in the league at 18 with a weak roster that got better last season and much better this season. He sometimes put too much pressure on himself, but that will probably be minimal now due to age and experience and better teammates. I expect him to play more freely now and to hit a lot more easy shots.

Thibs really needs to implement a three seconds or pass rule. With all of these shooters a ball motion offense is the way to go. It would require opponents to play legit man defense and forego double teams if we do that.
ImageImageImage
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,652

Post#103 » by cgf » Wed Sep 1, 2021 2:06 pm

knickabocker88 wrote:
cgf wrote:
knickabocker88 wrote:He's gotta be a Andre Iguodala / Shawn Marion type player on a Championship Team.

I don't think the defense will ever be that good but hopefully the offense is a little better.

See my previous post about setting specific expectations, but why can't RJ be more than that someday? Can't ever expect a kid to go full Beal / Butler / Middleton, but by that same token I have a tough time putting a ceiling on a kid with his drive & dedication to self-improvement.

You cant teach what he lacks in terms of Feel, fluidity and even quickness / athleticism.

I wish he was more of a Michael Beasley or Brandon Ingram but he's not.

Not saying he can't be an All Star but if he was gonna be a Manu / Harden type player we would have seen the flashes by now.

What flashes had Middleton, Butler or Beal shown before the age of 21, that RJ hasn't?
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,341

Post#104 » by dakomish23 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 3:01 pm

He is the cornerstone upon which our next championship will be built.

How many unbelievers have already been shut down?

Read on Twitter
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
KnicksFTW
Bench Warmer
And1: 447

Post#105 » by KnicksFTW » Wed Sep 1, 2021 3:16 pm

This boy about to go off...
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,703

Post#106 » by F N 11 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 4:27 pm

dakomish23 wrote:He is the cornerstone upon which our next championship will be built.

How many unbelievers have already been shut down?

Read on Twitter

:o Tatum looking for RJ off curls.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,410

Post#107 » by Synciere » Wed Sep 1, 2021 4:55 pm

I’m waiting for that game where he dominates and wills us to victory against a contender or some shyt. Then I’m waiting for him to do it again. That’s when I’ll be a full believer in RJ. The day he drops 43 against the Nets in a back and forth with Harden and KD or something. While I appreciate his slow and steady demeanor and energy, I need that explosion.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#108 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed Sep 1, 2021 4:55 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:That side step 3 was nice.

Love to use the side step myself, except I'm everything I don't like in an NBA player, a midrange artist who builds brick houses.

I expect RJ to play the right way as he always has (not counting his rookie year under Fiz), but I don't see RJ deferring to Randle AND Rose AND Kemba AND Fournier. Not to start the year at least. I expect him to be aggressive with the expanded skill set, as he should be.

Biggest thing for me is the finishing at the rim, and going back to the free throw line more often. I hope to see better efficiency, with some moments of (successful) shot creation.

Lol me too. I'm 42 and in my prime played like Anthony Mason....except I'm 5'9 so in other words I stunk.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#109 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed Sep 1, 2021 4:57 pm

Synciere wrote:I’m waiting for that game where he dominates and wills us to victory against a contender or some shyt. Then I’m waiting for him to do it again. That’s when I’ll be a full believer in RJ. The day he drops 43 against the Nets in a back and forth with Harden and KD or something. While I appreciate his slow and steady demeanor and energy, I need that explosion.

Well you ain't gonna get it. I'd be happy if he were a Jimmy Butler type. From what I see that's a best case scenario.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,703

Post#110 » by F N 11 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 5:44 pm

Synciere wrote:I’m waiting for that game where he dominates and wills us to victory against a contender or some shyt. Then I’m waiting for him to do it again. That’s when I’ll be a full believer in RJ. The day he drops 43 against the Nets in a back and forth with Harden and KD or something. While I appreciate his slow and steady demeanor and energy, I need that explosion.

This game sealed it for me. He scored and played stellar defense on Leonard.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#111 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Sep 1, 2021 6:06 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:

Lol me too. I'm 42 and in my prime played like Anthony Mason....except I'm 5'9 so in other words I stunk.

:lol:
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,399

Post#112 » by JXL » Wed Sep 1, 2021 6:08 pm

He's going to be where Jamal Murray is stat wise, but named to the All-Star team this season.

22.4 pts/5.8 rebs/3.9 ast on 45/40/80 splits with 1.3 steals per game.

His per-36 will be Kawhi-esque (27/6/6)
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,972

Post#113 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Sep 1, 2021 6:14 pm

You in pick up games
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Synciere
Head Coach

Post#114 » by Synciere » Wed Sep 1, 2021 6:30 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:

Well you ain't gonna get it. I'd be happy if he were a Jimmy Butler type. From what I see that's a best case scenario.

Jimmy Butler has definitely dominated games and controlled the outcome for his team. His career high is 50-something lol. He’s been the go to point guard for his teams the last half decade. Jimmy Butler would be an AWESOME outcome.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#115 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Sep 1, 2021 6:31 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:

You in pick up games

My hero
Synciere
Head Coach

Post#116 » by Synciere » Wed Sep 1, 2021 6:32 pm

F N 11 wrote:

This game sealed it for me. He scored and played stellar defense on Leonard.

Yeah I guess you’re looking at the opponent more than the game played. RJ had a good game, but he didn’t dominate that game. He didn’t look like a young Luka or Donovan. There’s an X factor that he’s either lacking or just hadn’t shown yet.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#117 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Sep 1, 2021 9:04 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:

You in pick up games

Elfraud Payton was solid (had a good run) but Antonio McDavis is definitely the best nickname I've ever come up with :lol:
koogiking
Veteran
And1: 1,080

Post#118 » by koogiking » Thu Sep 2, 2021 1:10 am

If he can develop a left handed Joe Johnson type of game that would be nice
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,949

Post#119 » by ITGM » Thu Sep 2, 2021 1:54 am

Bradley Beal watching RJ during the game...

KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,915

Post#120 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Sep 2, 2021 1:59 am

Synciere wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

Jimmy Butler has definitely dominated games and controlled the outcome for his team. His career high is 50-something lol. He’s been the go to point guard for his teams the last half decade. Jimmy Butler would be an AWESOME outcome.

Dude put up some awesome numbers in a finals where I felt his team was really overmatched. One of the more impressive efforts I’ve seen.

Return to New York Knicks