RealGM
And1: 23,524

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#1501 » by 76ciology » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:01 am

stormi wrote:
76ciology wrote:
stormi wrote:Appreciate him while you can

Clearly declining as a shotblocker

Just kidding. Still an elite defensive player and would pick him on defense even against Gobert

Embiid is the best paint anchor in the league imo. He's arguably the best offensive and defensive player walking right now.

I think he’s the best scorer and an elite defensive big.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,861

Post#1502 » by Stanford » Wed Sep 1, 2021 2:29 pm

Read on Twitter

Lol what
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#1503 » by syntax » Wed Sep 1, 2021 3:17 pm

Joel trying to steady the ship a few months too late?
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1504 » by the_process » Wed Sep 1, 2021 3:44 pm

I like that Jo came out and squashed rumors of a rift between him and Ben from his end. I mean, it's likely Ben is done with Jo; but it's not reciprocal and it's good Jo said that publicly.

The shot at the fans is calculated, he's both trying damage control and taking Ben's side while also insinuating booing made him stronger and maybe Ben should take that route as well.

This is probably a month late, but Jo has likely been on vacation until now, or possibly even asked to stay out of it.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,193

Post#1505 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed Sep 1, 2021 10:50 pm

My take is Joel realizes how important Ben is for the team to contend and fears getting an inferior player(s) in exchange for him. As disappointing as Ben is, there are probably only ~30 players who have the same or better impact on winning than him. He is a floor raiser, no doubt about it.

When you zoom out from the 7-game series against Atlanta, you realize things could be much worse than having to deal with Simmons’s flaws. I think a similar thought/feeling is what’s hitting Joel right now.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,908

Post#1506 » by Wilfried » Thu Sep 2, 2021 6:55 am

ProcessDoctor wrote:My take is Joel realizes how important Ben is for the team to contend and fears getting an inferior player(s) in exchange for him. As disappointing as Ben is, there are probably only ~30 players who have the same or better impact on winning than him. He is a floor raiser, no doubt about it.

When you zoom out from the 7-game series against Atlanta, you realize things could be much worse than having to deal with Simmons’s flaws. I think a similar thought/feeling is what’s hitting Joel right now.

Maybe he's trying to pump up Simmons' trade value. Not a bad idea
downtownpie
Pro Prospect
And1: 399

Post#1507 » by downtownpie » Thu Sep 2, 2021 9:16 am

He's gaslighting Simmons now. Ship has sailed on any kind of relationship they had.

Better for both of them. Embiid needs a shooter and Simmons needs a different set up.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,738

Post#1508 » by phillynative » Thu Sep 2, 2021 2:43 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:My take is Joel realizes how important Ben is for the team to contend and fears getting an inferior player(s) in exchange for him. As disappointing as Ben is, there are probably only ~30 players who have the same or better impact on winning than him. He is a floor raiser, no doubt about it.

I think its just damage control. Media are using the "rift" to lower Ben trade value.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#1509 » by phillynative » Thu Sep 2, 2021 2:46 pm

76ciology wrote:
stormi wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Clearly declining as a shotblocker

Just kidding. Still an elite defensive player and would pick him on defense even against Gobert

Embiid is the best paint anchor in the league imo. He's arguably the best offensive and defensive player walking right now.

I think he’s the best scorer and an elite defensive big.

Wow I didn't know about the triple double game. 13 assists for a guy who lacks courtvision is pretty good.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,801

Post#1510 » by HotelVitale » Thu Sep 2, 2021 10:27 pm

downtownpie wrote:He's gaslighting Simmons now.

? I thought gaslighting is manipulating a situation so people being harmed by it are made to think it's not real, hence they're crazy/trippin for thinking something's wrong. Embiid seems like he's doing the opposite--he's saying that the fans ripping Ben is a real thing that's rough to go through, and fans have to own that.

Do you mean he's low-key trolling him? I've seen that explanation but I honestly don't get it. It's not cool or expected for people to feed on negativity, and Embiid's always been into playing that wrestling villain character who doesn't take things very personally. I don't think it's an insult to say 'for some reason I turn hate into motivation, but not everyone wants to be hated by his fanbase so don't pretend you're helping, Philly fans.'
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1511 » by 76ciology » Fri Sep 3, 2021 6:22 am

I think biid is trying to cover everything up. He knows if the team dont get a good return for Ben and if we are forced to sit out Ben, he’ll just be wasting a year. Personally, I’d rather sit him out a season if that happens than be a team just as good as last season and getting a low first.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#1512 » by syntax » Fri Sep 3, 2021 6:50 am

76ciology wrote:I think biid is trying to cover everything up. He knows if the team dont get a good return for Ben and if we are forced to sit out Ben, he’ll just be wasting a year. Personally, I’d rather sit him out a season if that happens than be a team just as good as last season and getting a low first.

What. You ok?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1513 » by 76ciology » Fri Sep 3, 2021 6:52 am

syntax wrote:
76ciology wrote:I think biid is trying to cover everything up. He knows if the team dont get a good return for Ben and if we are forced to sit out Ben, he’ll just be wasting a year. Personally, I’d rather sit him out a season if that happens than be a team just as good as last season and getting a low first.

What. You ok?

Yeah. I dont want a similar result to last season. I dont want second round and a late first. Its just a waste of time and wont get us near the championship.

P.S. im talking about scenarios of “forced to sitout Ben” or “dont get a good return for Ben”
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1514 » by 76ciology » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:02 pm

Read on Twitter
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1515 » by the_process » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:31 pm

76ciology wrote:
syntax wrote:

What. You ok?

Yeah. I dont want a similar result to last season. I dont want second round and a late first. Its just a waste of time and wont get us near the championship.

P.S. im talking about scenarios of “forced to sitout Ben” or “dont get a good return for Ben”

I agree with this thought process.

We just have to agree on what constitutes a "good return" for Ben.
RedSalsa
Sophomore
And1: 85

Post#1516 » by RedSalsa » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:53 pm

Does not look right this year - not sure if it’s a knee already but something is not right. They should sit him tomorrow obviously.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#1517 » by phillynative » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:23 pm

RedSalsa wrote:Does not look right this year - not sure if it’s a knee already but something is not right. They should sit him tomorrow obviously.

He looked fine until he bumped knees with Valicuinas in the first game. The few games he played in the preseason he was moving well.
RedSalsa
Sophomore

Post#1518 » by RedSalsa » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:25 pm

phillynative wrote:
RedSalsa wrote:Does not look right this year - not sure if it’s a knee already but something is not right. They should sit him tomorrow obviously.

He looked fine until he bumped knees with Valicuinas in the first game. The few games he played in the preseason he was moving well.

Hopefully short term - I’d still sit him a week or so. Let’s face it without him we’d have a hard time even reaching.500
RedSalsa
Sophomore

Post#1519 » by RedSalsa » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:33 pm

Joel is with the best, or second Best center in the NBA but one thing I’d like to see him improve on his passing out the double team, and then quickly reestablishing position 5 to 7 feet from the basket. It can be easily done if taught properly. I suggest he watch film on Akeem and Kevin McHale. It seems like no one understands how to coach the low post position any longer?
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#1520 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:56 pm

RedSalsa wrote:Joel is with the best, or second Best center in the NBA but one thing I’d like to see him improve on his passing out the double team, and then quickly reestablishing position 5 to 7 feet from the basket. It can be easily done if taught properly. I suggest he watch film on Akeem and Kevin McHale. It seems like no one understands how to coach the low post position any longer?

It's not that no one understands. It's just that there is a plan to remove post game from the league, and being all about 3pt spamming and no defense game.
Great takes since 2024-04-20

Return to Philadelphia 76ers